Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Docjowles posted:

The big reason would be that Amazon Linux and CentOS are very different distros at this point. So your dev and prod environments would not be comparable and testing will be a pain.

I would push to just run CentOS everywhere. If they find Amazon Linux acceptable then clearly they don't care about the support angle for RHEL. So no reason to pay more for it.

This is way old but the exception would be running anything with docker. Redhat/CentOS still has some nasty docker caveats that AWS spent a lot of time "fixing" in order to offer ECS.

The bigger question is why do you need local development VMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
FWIW I like the packer to build new base images and then using terraform to replace things model.

That’s hard on prem, but if you can replicate it I think it’s better the. The satellite/foreman world.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Gitlab is a much better choice, we run Github EE and it doesn’t have a ton of support in from things that support github. So integrations are a mess and it just isn’t worth it.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Pinebook two things are going on, the $99 version is two expensive to produce at the moment and they are trying to build a black 1080p IPS version at some point(but no news on that in awhile).

Also re pinebook/sopine, a lot of things are super broken while stuff gets into mainline, and the community is more focused on the rock hip stuff at the moment. It sucks, I have a clusterboard that is barely functional.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There is a spin of Ubuntu with budgie and of course arch has it. It’s my preferred DE now.