Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any MythTV users out there? I'm just wondering whether people prefer Mythbuntu or Mythdora. Most reviews seem to prefer Mythdora but were written in 07-08.

If it helps give any context, I use Ubuntu on my desktop and am quite happy with it, but tried Mythbuntu and found the transition wasn't very smooth, thanks to using xfce instead of GNOME and the gap between OS and Mythtv. I tend to prefer GNOME but used KDE a little back in the 1.x-2.x days. Anything that isn't those two and I tend to feel a little lost.

My biggest problem isn't setting up the OS, it's setting up MythTV. There's a lot of settings I don't understand and I'm accustomed to Windows Media Center and it's hand-holding wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is 64-bit Linux still such a pain in the rear end for videos, Flash, WINE, etc? I think I want to buy 8GB RAM but I'm sure if half of it will be useless because supporting it will be such a hassle.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Stupid non-technical question: Now that Adobe is dropping AIR support, should I bother looking for alternatives for TweetDeck? Are there any even a fraction as powerful?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
How the hell do I install Gecko for WINE when SELinux keeps giving me AVC Access errors? I'm just trying Fedora out after using Ubuntu for many months, and I've never encountered SELinux before.

Nevermind, I think I give up on this distro. The fonts are loving painful.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 21, 2011

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I want to get away from Ubuntu and picked Debian because I figured keeping the same package type would be useful/easy, but I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I got NVidia drivers working, I THINK, because the console commands seem to be giving me affirmative replies but I don't have that NVidia Control Center application to actually manage things. But getting HDMI sound to work has been a mess.

I guess I'll try SuSE if I can't get this working in a week or so, because all I really need is to be competent enough to setup NVidia drivers (for working sound) and sharing to Windows.

(EDIT: Nevermind, got it going. Now to import Ubuntu fonts and set up GNOME. :dance:)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 13, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bob Morales posted:

I don't hang around a ton of nerds but the only Linux distribution I've seen in the wild (airport, Starbucks, etc) is Ubuntu.

And I've seen entire computer labs on Ubuntu.

I think the way to sum up how I feel about Ubuntu is that I liked it so much that I picked Debian over the others when the time came to move on.

At this point, I tell the uninitiated and confused to use Xubuntu. I figured xfce would be very confusing from my limited time with it in the past but I took to it like a duck to water, and the installer is the same and that's obviously the part that catches people. Everybody knows what Firefox is and the whole "app store" concept on mobile has conditioned people to be a bit more familiar around package systems.

Ubuntu vanilla annoys me for so many reasons. Shuttleworth clearly sees himself as some kind of revolutionary in how people interact with technology, like it's the 70s again and he's built his own Xerox PARC, he wants to focus on "look and feel" and he's lucky that the whole Linux, open source OS drive is doing the heavy lifting so he can focus on his true love of how the user experiences using the product. And though the community's feedback is somewhat considered for improvements, any "this whole idea is fundamentally wrong, the concept should be abandoned as the intentions are invalid" criticism is attacked as destructive and ignored.

Also, having to flip-flop on provided packages that normal people frequently access (Rhythmbox to Banshee to Rhythmbox in less than 2 years) is the kind of thing that made me hate the six month development cycle altogether and move to Debian's slow, rolling release testing branch at the very least until Canonical can sort their poo poo out.

Vima posted:

Apologies in advance if this question belongs in a different thread, but i've been doing some searching and this one seems to be the best fit. I'm very interested in learning about Linux and/or Unix, not only in terms of what they are exactly and how they work, but learning the language and how one could (if possible) become a Linux/Unix system administrator. If there are any hardcore Linux/Unix guys out there that don't mind showing a receptive newbie the ropes, i'd be very interested in listening to your sage advice and asking pathetic questions.

People are going to point you all over the place. I think the first place for a beginner to start is to understand the distro tree and what they're used for. Many of them include the same software, some of them include very little software. If you want to be a system administrator of a server or some kind of corporate network, the system structure you use at home (included software, etc) won't be the same as you would use in that environment. Same as how a Macintosh that would sit as a server all day doing nothing but delivering business email has little use for iPhoto and Photoshop.

What exactly are you looking to learn from Linux? How to run a 24 hour web server with a spare box and no extra money? How to get a job in IT? Just want to check your email? You rarely use the same distro for all three.

I have only installed maybe a third of these, so if anyone wants to chime in that I am mischaracterizing a distro's stereotype please chime in.

Describing the "big boys" goes a little something like this:

Debian: Pretty much a hybrid OS. Debian has three branches: Extremely stable yet a year or more behind development (stable branch, currently called Squeeze), a branch for software that's mostly considered done but needs the kind of bug hunting you can only get from crowd sourcing (testing branch, currently called Wheezy), and a totally prone to explosion branch that really shouldn't be used for important daily tasks though that doesn't stop some people (unstable branch, always called Sid.) There's one even more in development than unstable, but it basically blows up in a ball of fire right away and won't be mentioned here.
-
\_ Ubuntu: This is a fork of Debian testing. Usually a fork is considered to be simply duplicating the code and tinkering with the new copy, but in the unique case of distributions a fork is usually a piece of software that has it's own independent software libraries. Founded by a wealthy man to make a Linux distribution regular people can use on desktops and devices like tablets, Canonical is getting into the server/admin business to turn profit.
-
\___ Miscellaneous: There's a lot of 'respin' distros that take Ubuntu and reskin it and change the included software to use another GUI/desktop/launcher experience, a wider selection of default programs, colourful skins, etc. Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu mostly just provide a different set of pre-installed programs. Most major distros maintain multiple desktop choices by themselves, though Ubuntu seems to do it more as a community thing. Linux Mint is/was the most popular of these, though it has become an official fork lately, and targets the home user exclusively.

Red Hat: If there was ever someone analogous to Microsoft in the early Linux world, it was definitely Red Hat. Basically the masters if not the innovators of making money by supporting business servers, Red Hat Enterprise Linux is basically what the corporate IT world relies on more often than not. Solidly stable (and thus not bleeding edge), and with a large tech support buffer (and thus not free in cost), RHEL is a server-only distro that has spawned some other efforts.
-
\_ Fedora: Some people like the innards of Red Hat, but wish it was developed at a faster pace. Likewise, every good solid corporate server needs a testbed system that is designed to weed out all the bugs. Fedora deftly tries to integrate these two goals, providing a desktop OS that also is more or less the stress test for newer components to eventually be integrated into RHEL's servers.
Though frequently compared to Ubuntu as a home desktop distro, Fedora is less approachable of the bunch to the OSX/Windows crowd. It doesn't support a lot of formats out of the box, and adheres more strictly to the free software principle than most desktop distributions. Some of this can be explained because RedHat is a US business, and a lot of codecs and the like can't be including without paying royalties that are not a concern in other distros. Compatible binaries exist for doing these non-free tasks, but are community maintained and Fedora is generally less willing to talk about them than Debian, while Ubuntu offers certain optional codecs during the install.
-
\_ CentOS: An effort to imitate RHEL with no appreciable cost to the user, by stripping out any of the paid features and any of the support. Popular with people who want to run web sites and have no budget, it battles with Debian stable for the "web server in my basement" audience.

SuSE: Another paid-for corporate/IT aimed distribution. Less popular than Red Hat in North America, but it was originally created and supported from Europe so it may have been more popular there. I think it's owned by Novell now?
-
\_ OpenSuSE: What RHEL is to SuSE, so is Fedora to OpenSuSE. Uses the same package type as Fedora, but it's YaST management utility is popular in certain niches. Less gung-ho about free-speech in software rights than Fedora, and can play popular media formats with less google effort. Probably a good competitor with Debian Testing for the people who want something nerdier than Ubuntu but still want to get poo poo done.

Miscellaneous: A number of other distributions exist, built on various bases. Many of these, such as Arch and Gentoo, are for toughies and while they may have certain strengths and will certainly make you more aware of what's going on under the hood, anyone seriously suggesting you install and run them as a new user is either trolling you or offering you a trial by fire.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 17, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think I'm in "dependency hell" for the first time.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm not.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I know next to nothing about Linux, I am barely able to move around and do basic things. I have 2 problems.

I have a server that has run out of disc space. I kicked the can down the road a bit by deleting a bunch of stuff, but in a week or so I will be out again. I bought a 1 Terabyte drive, and was hoping to extend the volume to this drive using this dude's instructions

Let me get this straight: You're trying to copy a partition and it's data to another device?

Hook the new drive up into your computer, create and then boot up a GParted LiveCD, select the old partition and choose copy, switch to the new drive and choose paste. GParted will duplicate the partition on the new drive provided there's enough unpartitioned space, then you can adjust the size of the partition after it's copied to cover the additional space.

Admittedly, this is just how I did it as a consumer desktop person and not a server IT guy, but it was much easier than the CLI stuff in your link.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 20, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MrHyde posted:

Would I be crazy to try and run Ubuntu as a media computer as well as web/torrent server? A friend pointed out that my Hulu use might be in jeopardy because flash on Linux wasn't so great last he knew. Thoughts?

Flash on Linux wasn't great for a long time because there was no 64-bit version, though that's changed and now it's fine. Now it's not so great because Adobe halted it today and it will only be available through some efforts by Chrome in the future.

Ubuntu can play most media formats fine out of the box with Totem and GStreamer if you check the box to install non-libre codecs at the initial install. The most likely incompatible format you'll encounter is 10-bit x264 videos, which is the current "get with the times, slow rear end" tech jump in the anime subbing/encoding circles. If you want to play those, install mplayer2 (should be in repositories) and SMplayer 0.7 or greater (probably isn't in repositories RIGHT NOW because it's new but it has it's own PPA) and in the first options panel change your mplayer command line to mplayer2.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've played around with Ubuntu just enough to do anything I need, but not a lot more. Is it a good use of my time, if I want to learn more about Linux and not just Ubuntu, to get another distro and use that for a while?
Are you planning to go into the enterprise and server based world of Linux? If not, there's not really much reason to except to see the different philosophies at play.

Ubuntu is what almost everybody uses for Desktop Linux, and a good place to go until you find that you need anything else. The sheer number of auto-updating, third party PPAs for things like unstable WINE, media players, and so on make it very easy to remain cutting edge without having to yell at Canonical to authorize the newest version in their library.

People who are using anything else on the desktop are doing so for specific reasons. I'm using Debian testing/wheezy, because 99% of third party Ubuntu PPAs are cross-compatible with Oneiric (though not with Precise which has a newer version of Qt) and I don't really enjoy the desktop stuff that they're doing which largely defines their distro's contributions to linux as a whole. I also dislike the idea of a new operating system "release" every six months, which is what most distros do, and am more impressed when my computer goes a year without me having to install or upgrade an OS, so Debian's rolling release of just eternally upgrading your packages appeals to me.

For the most part, distros are largely defined by the software they're packaged with and which binary packaging system, if any, that they support. Install Fedora and you'll see it's a lot less functional out of the box than Ubuntu, because they're more concerned about a free/libre operating system and there is no free/libre way to do a lot of things that desktop users consider routine like "play my MP3 file." Fundamental stuff like the kernel and the GNU core utilities are going to mostly be the same on any distro unless you have a situation (newer hardware, for example) where you could take advantage of something like the latest features in the kernel.

If you just want to build Linux from scratch to test yourself and become a power user of the command line and config files, you could use a power user distro like Arch. There's a comic strip that gets posted on 4chan explaining why you don't suggest Arch to curious Windows movers. It has a Windows newbie asks what distro he should use, and an Arch user shoves the Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/etc crowd out of the room and hands him a hundred pounds of Unix Command Line instructions and tells him about how this is how HARDKORE POWER UZERS use linux. The next day, Windows is shouting at Ubuntu/Fedora about how he "tried this linux bullshit and oh my god it is IMPOSSIBLE TO USE why did I even ask you assholes", etc.

As a desktop person, you can make it as easy or hard as you like for yourself and making it harder gives you nothing but additional flexibility and a :smug: sense of accomplishment for spending an hour to enable something Ubuntu does right out of the box. Most of the posts in this thread are of the IT/server variety, so you and I alike are usually out of our depths here.

The Ubuntu thread is more desktop-oriented, but given that I've left Ubuntu I figured I should not annoy the people there who want to discuss it specifically.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bob Morales posted:

Post it.

http://i.imgur.com/ebxJH.jpg

It's so huge that it's too big even with the timg tag.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bob Morales posted:

Nice. I never found Arch users to be assholes, though.

I don't think it's so much about assholes as it is that enthusiast hardcores can distort the view of the ecosystem to the Wintel crowd, which speaks to me because in the mid-90s I did the same "what is this linux" inquiry after seeing someone's RedHat system with X running (again, this is when AOL was dominant and package managers were a brand new idea), and upon investigating the local message boards I was steered into using Slackware. After weeks of work I eventually berated the original RedHat guy that linux sucks, not unlike that Arch comic.

The same guy also did another comic where Debian has gotten a job running a small ISP while Arch is still trying to get stuff to stop breaking. His logical argument is "pacman sucks" but also lashes out at those special people who have developed a funny stockholm syndrome from so much troubleshooting that they feel something is wrong if they don't have to fix their software themselves before they use it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 23, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Does anybody else use Chrome with Ubuntu and have problem with the resolution of HD video? It just seems to not seem HD in fullscreen, with badly upscaled player controls and lousy video quality. I'm using NVidia proprietary drivers, if that's relevant.

On the other hand, things are playing fine in Firefox, so I'm using that for video for now, but it stinks to have to keep swapping browsers.

My own take on the Window Management Wars is that I actually like GNOME 3 and what they're intentions are and was very close to a desktop I could use day to day, but if they're going to introduce the extensions infrastructure like browsers have then they need to stop breaking compatibility with them. There's good functional extensions that are broken with each new version, and either need a minor change to support the new version, or need major changes because they totally altered how they handle something in a revision like the new system tray hot corner. I don't WANT that hot corner to pop up while a game or video is fullscreened, and there's no extension to turn it off anymore in 3.6 because all the old ones are incompatible.

I am using 12.04 with Cinnamon and Docky, and while things aren't totally perfect this is the first time Ubuntu has felt 'right' for me since Maverick. The lack of many good quality plugins for Cinnamon is offset by the fact that most of the adjustments I need can be made out of the box, and it's still basically GNOME.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 11, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hi. If you're curious, I wrote the extensions.gnome.org site. The reason we can't easily keep API is that there is no API to keep. Most of GNOME Shell is written in JavaScript, and that means that you can access private properties, and most extensions do. It's certainly an issue, and one that's been long discussed at depth. For 3.8, we're going to have a set of supported extensions that should bring back a more classic mode.

And that "hot edge" popping up a message tray is actually a bug, but it was only filed and fixed after the last 3.6 stable release went out.

Thanks for your effort, I like the idea behind the site even if it doesn't always work out like theorized. I guess my point was that I was pretty much a GNOME supporter until I got my hands on 3.6, and saw that a lot of my favourite extensions were broken either because they need small fixes that will simply mark them as compatible with the new version and the authors haven't made that update, or because there's something much larger going on like the Cardapio menu extension that some people have apparently tried to make 3.8 compatible without success.

Since I spend a lot of time with fullscreen video and gaming, hot corners like the activities menu and the system tray need to be disabled completely, and the latter's redesign means all the old "Hide System Tray" extensions are broken and nobody has written a new one yet.

I want to like the idea of what they're doing, but everything is still advancing so fast that extensions can't be abandoned for very long until they're already obsolete. And people who write extensions and plugins for other software usually don't update them very frequently

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nephielle posted:

Holy hell, is gnome doing that sort of thing now? That's great. I haven't used Linux since Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog, so it's changed quite a bit, hasn't it? Thanks so much for pointing me towards that!

I'm going to chime in here and say that I suggest Docky over a GNOME javascript extension for this sort of thing. Firstly because it's less likely to break when GNOME updates which many built-then-abandoned extensions do, and because you can add some extra widgets like the trash can, folder shortcuts, etc.

I use Docky in conjunction with Cinnamon or GNOME (the former if you're more into games or fullscreen apps), I don't hesitate to suggest it if you essentially want to clone the characteristics of Apple's interface.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 29, 2012

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ilkhan posted:

If I want to share files to my network is there something simpler than samba?

What are you running on your server? Samba setup ranges from dead simple to frustratingly complicated depending.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just finished setting up my in-home media server on Fedora today, a project I wanted to tackle all year but never could for reasons.

Is the Wayland future really just going to deprecate gksudo without replacement? I used to have to turn in homework in vi so I guess I can survive, but I wouldn't tell the friend I pitched Ubuntu how to etc fstab in a terminal-based editor. Wayland's devs aren't wrong that running graphical programs as root is dangerous, but it seems very against the FOSS philosophy to not let the user do something horrible so long as they were warned first.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Maybe I don't understand the question (it sounds like you simply want trustworthy binaries that aren't provided with the OS), but... Just right off the top of my head, Flathub? RPMFusion Free and Nonfree exist for RHEL as well.

You also talk about making new binaries. Again, probably easier to make flatpaks and maintain them as unofficial builds to places like Flathub than to make/distribute custom RPMs.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 8, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yes, RPMFusion is a project RedHat people will make commitments to, because it generally exists to provide binaries that are incompatible with RedHat's licenses or legal departments. It's less like Launchpad PPAs, and more like the missing 'Universe' repository you get in Ubuntu.

Flatpaks include their own dependencies in a sandboxed space, so you won't burden your system with more libraries to update, or have to deal with as many incompatibilities when RHEL's libraries inevitably lag far behind common personal users. (You will have more Windows-like runtime redundancy with another instance of a duplicate component, but that's part of the deal when you ask software to pack in it's own support files.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 9, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I had to use vim to do homework in a class once, I know enough how to move to where I want to write text, put text there, save and quit, or quit without saving. I usually default to nano and it's not because I think it's superior, but because if I used vim I'd be entering/exiting insert mode half a dozen times to make the same edits I'd do in nano. I'm never going to use it's scripting elements, so why bother.

This has been, "input from a person who is so coddled by graphical apps for his entire life that he owned an Apple IIGS with GSOS while everyone else had to make do with shell commands on less fancy computers like the IIc". Thank you and good night.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 9, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

General_Failure posted:

Ubuntu or Debian?
I usually use LXDE or XFCE

MX Linux.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

General_Failure posted:

Selfquote.

It's the next day. So far my opinion is that Fedora can go gently caress itself. There are only so many hours of staring at what I assume to be it's desktop, trying to get it to give me any sign whatsoever that it's attempting to do anything that I can take.

The reason I suggested MX Linux for you is because they take Debian, update it, and pair it with xfce and have a pretty nice community and extensive docs. It started off being for people who have a jihad against systemd, but evolved into being a popular minimalist distro for getting poo poo done and keeping the apt management you're accustomed to.

I use Fedora for both my PCs right now, I respect it, but my use case (gaming desktop and a mythtv/plex machine) is different than yours. That said...

General_Failure posted:

So, in Fedora 30, is there a way of getting a more normal menu system? It reminds me too much of my eee701 many years ago. Plus icons don't mean poo poo to me.

Log out and switch to "GNOME Classic" which restructures the desktop to be more traditionalist. Or just abandon it altogether for something like MATE or xfce, as has been suggested.

Axe-man posted:

If you want super light weight and want to run on practically anything, I would say a custom Arch build is right up your alley.

As he already is comfortable with Debian and wants stability, I would say if you're going this far for a super-light desktop (even lighter than MX) you should use BunsenLabs instead.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 6, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

apropos man posted:

I'm on a ThinkPad T570 so that's good to be aware of. I was on GNOME from F23 until I switched to KDE. I really like KDE and GNOME is fine. I think I'll hop back to GNOME for a bit.

For what it's worth, I'm using Plasma on F30 and it's fine, but I removed a lot of the KDE apps, particularly the PIM.

I was one of the few people defending GNOME in 2011 when the makeover just happened, and talking about how a pimping a web browser unrecognizable was so fashionable in Firefox et al, that shipping a hyper minimalist desktop that you similarly equip with a menagerie of plugins was a great idea. The problem is, it's taken more years than I ever guessed, they keep backtracking and changing things (which in turn breaks the addons), and there's a slate of things they deliberately mark as Intended/Wontfix just because they don't think computers ought to be used that way. They recently killed the underlying calls used by a plugin for a Macintosh-style global menu that put the active application's menu at the top of the screen; which is something that KDE, MATE, and Budgie do with reasonable success. They did this because, from parsing their statements, they see it as a sort of theft for the system UI to take an element away from an application UI. To me it's a big deal because we all use widescreen monitors now and vertical space is at a premium, I'd rather consolidate the vertical space eaten up by menus to give the rest of the window elements more room to stretch out.

Budgie does almost all of this stuff while still being recognizably GNOME, but if you're especially married to Fedora and can't switch to Ubuntu or Solus (or Manjaro??) then I'm afraid it's out of the question.

People still rag on GNOME for it's resource use, but I feel it's a less valid complaint than it was eight years ago. xfce isn't a dead project per se, but it has nothing to develop for because the definition of "Linux for old computers" was historically ten years, and since Moore's Law died and was replaced with Intel 14nm+++++++++ and a 3% performance improvement over last gen, a computer from ten years ago isn't quite as historically ancient as it was in 2005.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 15, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CFox posted:

This has been my biggest irritation about linux really. I'd love to install everything from one central repository that is updated frequently and not have to worry about adding a dozen different PPAs but besides possibly the Arch User Repository I don't think there's anything like that in linux land and Arch just ain't my thing.

That's what flathub.org is, it's just very limited in what it carries. It's great for stuff like Calibre which needs harmony between about 60 dependencies that your distro may upgrade at random times.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Volguus posted:

Fedora devs just twiched: Flatpak

Flatpak isn't a repo, it's a packaging spec.

Flathub is a repo of curated flatpak's, often maintained by the upstream authors but if it's not the community keeps things super up to date. That said, you don't need a repo to use flatpaks, you can compile one on your own if you wanted but it'd be up to you to maintain it if you wanted newer versions.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do other distros have anything similar to the openSUSE software search page? https://software.opensuse.org/explore

It's pretty handy to be able to search on there and often find what I need available for a one-click install.

http://packages.ubuntu.com
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages
A whole lot of distros: https://pkgs.org

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
On recent Fedora, how do you stop GNOME? Is it worth it?

I have a machine that works as a home server but also I like to open up Firefox or play a video on it. People tell me that GUIs in servers are a vast idea because of the attack surface available. If I’m going to go away and leave the computer alone for a few months, I’d like to quit out of a graphical interface.

I’ve tried and failed to understand Linux for so long that I remember the startx command, but I’ve been told getting in and out of the GUI now involves starting and stopping gdm in systemctl? Is that true?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean it does run Plex and a Torrent client (no ports forwarded for torrents, but they work anyway) so it is talking to the wider internet, but my router has a hardware firewall so I’m not sure how much to worry. The same machine used to run Windows 10 24/7 doing the same poo poo, and I can’t imagine Linux GUI is significant more insecure than that?

My understanding was that X.org was the big risk. I could try Wayland again although last time I did it always went unstable after a few days. Again, this box also is hooked up to a TV and sometimes I run Kodi or a video in Firefox or something. CLI would only be useful when I physically leave it for a couple weeks.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 3, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The command I entered:
rsync -av --progress /mnt/external/copyfiles/ /mnt/nas/path/to/destfolder/

What I expected it to do:
Create a new directory in 'destfolder' called 'copyfiles' with the contents inside.

What it did:
Copied the contents inside of 'copyfiles' into the root 'destfolder'.

What do I do to get the result I wanted?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
EDIT: Nevermind, I think I fixed it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 8, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Antigravitas posted:

Mods, please rename this person to DenverCoder9

Okay, I'll just explain: I was flooding DNS servers with rDNS lookups for my own IP. This happened due to my hosts file.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's lots of instructions for running Docker CE on CentOS 8. Regardless, what image is this you've pulled? If it's published somewhere, it might lead to a clue about what's wrong.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just created an Ubuntu install on an old spare SSD as fallback, since every Windows 10 update is being buggier than the last one.

Looks like NVidia still didn't fix the goddamn high idle clocks on Linux. Running two displays at 1440p120 has the card clocked at 1200MHz core and 14000MHz memory at minimum. In Windows with these settings, and setting the screens to 60hz in Linux, things settle at 400MHz core and whatever minimum memory can go to just fine.

Goddamn it. :[

Is this stock Ubuntu/GNOME? I've heard from people that it doesn't cause the problem. I'm a KDE user near 24/7 and my fans run almost all the time and I have high temps idle, because the situation with Plasma and Nvidia is poor. I know I do if I switch my one 1440p monitor to 60hz I can watch PowerMizer drop down to level 0, but at 144hz it's at level 3 most all the time.

EDIT: You can set a custom OC profile to limit the clocks if you wish. If you don't want to figure out how to do it with nvidia-smi on the command line, then get GreenWithEnvy from Flathub.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 19, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah I know it's the driver or whatever.

I thought they would have fixed it now. Because for one, Windows can drop down to idle clocks just fine at these resolutions, there were issues with high idle on Windows itself before that were fixed (driver being shared code and what not), and nvidia-smi itself even reports 0% utilization, so I'm not sure why it keeps the clocks that high, anyway. The lowest it'll drop over on Linux, it'll still make a 30W difference in power usage, and the card keeps feathering the cooling fan.

I wish AMD would finally drop some hardware that'll kick NVidia in the nuts. But a) that'll probably not happen anytime soon, and b) AMD probably has similar high idle issues, if I were to look for it.

I'm not sure how much of it is Nvidia, though. It seems like it's Xorg being an old inefficient monster that keeps usage pinned around 5% while running (even more if you add Kwin like I do). In which case you'd rather Nvidia work on furthering support for Wayland. I also have a graphics card that runs it's fans all day long doing nothing, but Linux is worth it.

AMD probably has less issues because the entire AMD driver is open sourced and kernel packaged. People can patch their own fixes now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 20, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Perplx posted:

I used UltraEdit back in the day for this, there is probably something free now with disk mode.

Not free but half the price: 010 Editor ($50) is designed for this sort of task.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like a lot of "what distro should I use" sort of comes down to what UX do you want to use. Is this a regular graphical desktop and if so do you have any specific desires?

Like even though I legitimately enjoy Fedora, I could see myself moving to Ubuntu simply because I'm slowly being won over by Budgie, and I'm not technically proficient enough to use a distro with a minority of users such as Solus.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mr. Crow posted:

Also why you would pick a distro because of desktop experience I don't understand, rip that sucker it and use i3 or xfce

I want to mimic OSX as much as possible since I only installed Linux after Hackintoshing with Nvidia became a dead end. Most specifically I want the global appmenu at the top, which KDE, MATE, Budgie and others can do but GNOME developers actively fight against.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's possible on GNOME. Just needs actively developed extensions.

Someone made an extension to do it and GNOME developers broke it and labeled it wontfix because they feel "having a third party module forcibly muck about in the internals of the toolkit is a hack" and "you can't do it behind the backs of the people giving you toolkit and applications". They feel it's up to each individual developer to define how their menus are displayed and that users shouldn't have the power to display them in unintended ways. GTK's favored menus at present are submenus hidden in a button on the chunky titlebar.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ItBreathes posted:

I think their point was that you can install any DE you want on top of any distro, the default one is trivial to replace.

Well my particular point is that Budgie is not well supported outside of Solus, Ubuntu, and Manjaro in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Weaponized Autism posted:

After using Mint for 7 years, I switched over to Fedora w/ KDE last night. God drat KDE is so much better than Cinnamon.

Fedora's KDE "spin" is insanely bloated compared to other distros, where it reaches XFCE speeds. Remove the 'akonadi' package and the various DE tools it relies upon and you'll be gold.