Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I've been messing around with the termial in ubuntu, and I got to the man command... it's cool, but say I type in:

man php

I get 500 pages of info... and then what do I do? Is there a way to go back to the terminal after using the man command? Iv'e just been closing it and opening a new terminal.

man man didn't give any useful info on this.

Also, I have an old laptop with only a flobby drive... it does have a usb port, but it can't boot off it. Is there any way to put ubuntu (or any linux) on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
awesome, thanks.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
You can run k/ubuntu off of the live cd, although it's slow. Really you only need about 3 or 4 gigs to install it and have some space to mess around.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
This may seem like a stupid question, but how do I make shortcuts on my desktop in Ubuntu 7.04? It seems like this was a straight forward thing last time I install unbuntu (6) but now I have no idea! I just want to be able to get to my music folder from my desktop without it actually being in /home/desktop

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

teapot posted:

A file has to be in your "/home/username/Desktop" (NOT "/home/desktop", "/home/username/desktop", "/home/Applications and Settings" or some other bullshit filename !) to be shown on your desktop. However it does not have to be an actual directory, it can be a link to the directory, or even a music player launcher with that directory or playlist as one of parameters. Also you may prefer to add a launcher button to a panel instead of desktop -- launcher buttons can be created for files and directories as well as for applications (right click on panel, add...).

Thanks a lot for the help.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Anyone care to share an opinion on Mint Xcfe vs Xubuntu? I think I've narrowed it down to one of those but they seem just about the same but Mint's webpage looks like poo poo so I'm leaning towards Xubuntu unless there is an actual difference.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Is there that much difference between Xubuntu and regular Ubuntu with Xcfe installed instead of Unity?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

ExcessBLarg! posted:

No. If you just want an Xfce desktop by default, install Xubuntu. It's fine.
I ended up giving Gnome3 a chance. I don't know how it's supposed to be better or why it's different but it is sort of growing on me. It does make it easier to remap caps to control though for sure.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Emacs has tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM This is a Google Talk given by the author.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzA2YODtgK4Here is a cool intro to org-mode.

Org-mode had THE AGENDA where you can organize your whole life. Would you like to have a list of all of your TODO items? That's the agenda. What about being able to capture a TODO item with one hotkey? Give it a deadline? Schedule it every other thursday until the third easter from now? Is TODO and DONE not enough? Define your own states! Export the whole thing to ical or epub or MediaWiki!

Here is a pretty great tutorial by a German fellow for org-mode: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVtKhBrRV_ZkPnBtt_TD1Cs9PJlU0IIdE