Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm running Suse 10.3 with KDE under VMware and somehow I managed to make eth0 disappear :( I tried starting it with ifup eth0, and ifconfig eth0 <ip> etc, and even tried Yast, which recognises the hardware but still doesn't get it up and running. My linux question is: how do I get eth0 back up in VMware?

Thanks! (and yes, the device is attached and bridged in the emulation layer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've been having trouble trying to do something a bit simple. Well two things:

I have a bunch of files
blah1.dat, blah2.dat, etc. in a directory. I want to create a directory for each file and then move that file into it.

eg. blah1.dat moves to /blah1/blah1.dat

I've tried all sorts of various ideas but don't really know which command or how I should do it.

Second is much simpler. I have a load of extensionless files in a directory. How do I recurse through them and add .txt onto the end of each one? I tried mv * *.txt as a blind stab in the dark. Again, googling is dificult when it's hard to describe the problem, I just get mountains of unrelated information.