Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
My attempts at getting X to ignore what monitor is plugged in have failed. How do I force Xorg to ignore whatever is plugged in (or more importantly, not plugged in) to the video port and just let me select higher resolutions? I often boot the machine behind a KVM in the background, in which it will notice no monitor plugged in, and never let me leave 800x600 without restarting with that machine's video active.

I'd like to be able to always select up to 1600x1200@85Hz. Settings I've used with Google let me do that if I have any monitor plugged in, but if I boot with nothing, it boots and maxes out at 800x600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
LVM - 3 disks

Looking at examples and man pages for LVM, I can use it to make a volume that uses specifically one disk, random of all three, striped like raid0 across any two or three disks, and mirrored like raid1. Can LVM do parity like raid5? Or do I need to setup all three disks in software raid5, then setup the volume group on top of that to get parity?

My ideal is to have certain mount points be striped, a couple only on specific disks, and others to be on across all three with parity. From what I've seen, it looks like LVM can act like raid0 or raid1, not raid5. Tell me I'm missing something here.