Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002
How can I get Non-smoothed fonts to look good?
(In Ubuntu, or Linux distros in general)

The default fonts in Ubuntu look terrible when font smoothing is turned off, as if they were never meant to be shown that way.

The fonts in 'drat Small Linux' are not smoothed by default, and they look great. I would like fonts to look like this in Ubuntu.

Things I have tried:

1. Installing the Microsoft font set. This works in some places, but not in others. The Gnome "taskbar" and the Firefox UI, for example.

2. Ran Fluxbuntu LiveCD. This is an improvement over Ubuntu, but the Firefox UI fonts are still bad, and even the desktop fonts aren't exactly perfect, but acceptable.

What is the proper procedure to get true aliased fonts everywhere, like they are in 'drat Small Linux'?

Comparison image:

edit: Thanks teapot, all fixed now :)

SheriffHippo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002
Hey Fellas, is there a GUI of some kind for Linux that is like OpenGEM/TOS ?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002

teapot posted:

You must be kidding... However yes, if you really want it, you can run OpenGEM in DOSBox under some more modern GUI.

I'm not kidding :( I like doing pointless hobby things with my computer, you know, nerding out and so forth. I have FreeDOS and OpenGEM installed under VMware. I was just hoping that there was some kind of equivalent for Linux. (Not run under emulation)

Some kind of tiny and ultra simplistic GUI.

DOS->OpenGEM
Linux->?OpenGEM/GNU?

SheriffHippo fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 7, 2007

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002

teapot posted:

For GUI in general the most lightweight one based on modern software would be a combination of any modern X and a minimalistic window manager such as twm.

Thanks Teapot. This is an extremely helpful set of information. I shall try the various combinations you listed.

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002
I dislike the fonts that came with OpenSUSE, so I have installed Microsoft fonts in Gnome.

However, Only some fonts are changed. The default fonts are still displayed in many places. Is there a way to change all of the fonts?

If this is a Gnome issue, will the problem persist if I install Blackbox/Fluxbox instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SheriffHippo
Jul 18, 2002

The Remote Viewer posted:

Someone made a theme for Ubuntu that doesn't look like five year old dogshit!

That actually looks pretty good. Did he also somehow fix Linux font rendering, or is the screenshot just small enough to hide the flaws?