Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any ideas on a (all things being relative) "slow" CIFS mount in Ubuntu 17.04/17.10?

Situation: Several VMs accessing a separate FreeNAS array via a point-to-point network link of 10GbE. Works great, no problems, a Windows VM can read at 500-600MB/sec and write at 900MB/sec (weird, but whatever). Close-ish to line speed, at least for write. So that kinda eliminates the ESXi portion as far as I'm concerned. The Ubuntu VMs are using an fstab cifs mount with vers=3.02 specified and verified on the FreeNAS side with smbstatus ... that's the protocol level they're connecting at. iperf tests to one of those VMs shows 10GbE speeds. But an actual large file copy never goes above 220MB/sec. I've got these additional parameters set in smb.conf:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=524288 SO_SNDBUF=524288 IPTOS_LOWDELAY

But that didn't seem to change anything. Anything else I could look into? I'm just baffled as to why it's 2x faster than gigabit, but no better, and CPU/memory/disk isn't the issue, either. All the Ubuntu VMs behave this way in my setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

Isn't SMB known for being slow? Why aren't you using NFS between *nix systems?

I also access those shares from Windows boxes, and mixing NFS/SMB operations is bad. SMB 3.x isn't bad at all, usually. Besides, the Windows VM is close enough to line speed, and it's using SMB for access.

Edit: For clarity, the FreeNAS share is an SMB share the Ubuntu VMs connect to and add/modify/delete data. Most of the clients are Windows, and also need ACL controlled access to the share. NFS isn't an option for this share.

insularis fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 12, 2018

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

insularis posted:

Anyone have any ideas on a (all things being relative) "slow" CIFS mount in Ubuntu 17.04/17.10?

Situation: Several VMs accessing a separate FreeNAS array via a point-to-point network link of 10GbE. Works great, no problems, a Windows VM can read at 500-600MB/sec and write at 900MB/sec (weird, but whatever). Close-ish to line speed, at least for write. So that kinda eliminates the ESXi portion as far as I'm concerned. The Ubuntu VMs are using an fstab cifs mount with vers=3.02 specified and verified on the FreeNAS side with smbstatus ... that's the protocol level they're connecting at. iperf tests to one of those VMs shows 10GbE speeds. But an actual large file copy never goes above 220MB/sec. I've got these additional parameters set in smb.conf:

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=524288 SO_SNDBUF=524288 IPTOS_LOWDELAY

But that didn't seem to change anything. Anything else I could look into? I'm just baffled as to why it's 2x faster than gigabit, but no better, and CPU/memory/disk isn't the issue, either. All the Ubuntu VMs behave this way in my setup.

No one had anything, but I figured this out. It was related to NFS queue depth in ESXi, even though it presented as an SMB issue. Setting it to <64 on ESXi solved it. I had the same point to point network mounted as an NFS storage share, and traffic over the vmkernel NIC and guest mounted storage was causing timeouts and huge latency.

insularis fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 18, 2018

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

This addresses the other replies too. Re-reading it I can see I was a little unclear. It's only accessible on the home network. Using cloud based solutions would suck hairy balls. #1. I'm Australian, and have Australian Internet access. #2 Need something easy for other family members to get to. Preferably in a read only manner.

Huh. Just looked that up. That's extremely simple. Maybe too simple? Although it has no way out, is there something with a configurable netmask? It's just I have at least that for NFS, SMB DLNA etc.
I'll have to remember that for when I need quick and dirty access to files via uncooperative devices on the network though.

I use Calibre. I didn't realise it did that. It looks like there is, or at least was a headless server option. I found an article on setting up a Pi 3 with it, so I guess there's source, or an ARM binary. I'm using an Orange Pi Zero.Looks like there's a package in the repo. Shame it needs to install the front end. 212MB. Most of it for the GUI. Got it installing. I'll post results.

I use an nginx reverse proxy with user/pass auth to serve Calibre to the outside. The Calibre web server is really nice (can download or read in the browser, very pretty, good search), but yeah, it should not be directly on the web.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe
Sometimes, I think I'm pretty dumb. I just set up SaltStack on my home infrastructure (about 20 Linux VMs) and played around with centralized updates and maintenance because management was getting very tedious. This is ... so much easier. Are you kidding me? Why am I so dumb? Why did I wait so long to try this?

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty happy with Salt.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

LochNessMonster posted:

Maybe the tool that gives your certs the rating thinks that using subject alternative names make it slightly less secure?

I could imagine that if you used wildcards, but you didn’t. Not sure if LE even supports wildcards.

End of February, LE supports wildcard in production, right now it's only for staging. Soooooo looking forward to it.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

In the future if you suspect that you've got an IP address conflict, arpwatch is a good tool to find it

In a similar vein, I just used nmap against my management VLAN today because I couldn't remember a management port for an XMPP server.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe
Could also try disabling the lower C States in BIOS in case one of those is being mishandled. I had a laptop that did that when it picked up a C6 state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Fun Shoe
Is there a clever way to upgrade PHP and PHP-FPM from 7.2 to 7.3, but retain all your configuration modifications without redoing it all?