Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
How is zfs on kfreebsd? Or is it nonexistent at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

I just got a shiny new VPS account and am looking for a logging program that can make some spiffy graphs. Are there any that keep a log of CPU usage/memory usage/etc. over time that I can look at later? Hopefully they won't consume too much of either themselves.

If it helps, I'm running Ubuntu 10.10.

Cacti does this and does it well. I have it on an old server at work running under lighttpd. Monitors 20 servers and local resources and the machine only breaks a sweat when I start looking at a ton of graphs.

Gives me 5 minute, 1 day, 1 week, and 1 month averages.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

Thanks, this looks great! Now I just have to figure out how to install it on nginx. :smith:

If you can get nginx + php + mysql running, then Cacti is super easy to install.

Any reason you have to use nginx?

I found this guide to get the nginx+php5+mysql for 8.10 here, should work fine for 10.10:

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-nginx-with-php5-and-mysql-support-on-ubuntu-8.10

I dont recommend apt-get installing cacti.

this is a good guide for manual install, though a bit old.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cacti?action=show&redirect=CactiHowTo#Installing%20Cacti%20for%20Ubuntu%20-%20Part%201

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

A lot of people do it on 256MB or other low-memory VPSes

I feel like an idiot asking this but is it lighter than lighttpd?

My cacti box has 512 so I'm not sure it'll make a difference but I try to keep the http part as low resource as possible.

If I just stepped on a pile of flame ants al la "vi vs emacs" that wasn't my intention at all.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So I started messing around with nginx on my cacti box. Holy lord is this a nice fast compact http server. My load averages have shot down and memory usage is definitely better.

I'm trying to trim this box down to the lowest possible memory footprint (just found out I was wrong, it only has 256 megs of ram). I replaced my.cnf (mysql) with my-small.cnf and gained some more back. There's not a lot more I can do, this box is not heavily used, really only by me so it's not a big deal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Is there a way to prevent a directory from being stupidly deleted, while having it act like a normal directory in every other regard? rm -rf important/ should fail, while mkdir important/stuff/ and touch important/file should both succeed. Unfortunately, I think this is impossible with standard UNIX permissions, but I feel like there must be some common workaround. Any ideas?

I do this on our company's FTP server. Read up on "chattr", that's what I used.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

I got Cactus installed (switched back to Apache because everything has documentation for Apache). How the hell do I make it make those fancy bandwidth graphs? I can't seem to set them up.

Console -> Devices -> Localhost -> Create Graphs for this host

You should see a list of your ethX interfaces, check on and set the pull down box below it to bits (don't use 64 bit counters, I can never get those to work).

If you dont see your eth devices listed, go back to Localhost under devices and make sure SNMP Interfaces is listed in the Associated Queries. If it's not reporting anything then your SNMPD has a config problem.

EDIT: PS, once you get a PHP/MYSQL/Server going, it's agnostic to which server you run, so if you're on low memory, I suggest switching back to nginx and php-fpm http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-php-5.3-nginx-and-php-fpm-on-ubuntu-debian

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 3, 2011

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

I couldn't get it working right at all on nginx, and wordpress is too complicated to set up for multi-domain multisite. :P

Ah, no worries. Since I checked it out from this thread i've kind of been seriously playing around with nginx.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Not sure if this goes here, if it doesnt, I apologize.

I inherited a Wyse V90L here at work. It's got a 512mb flash drive and 512 megs of ram. I'd really love to turn this thing into a low power seedbox for use at home.

I figure I'd need a 128mb swap partition so that leaves me with about 384 megs to work with on the flash drive.

All I need is basic tools, a text editor, screen, zsh, rtorrent and OpenSSH daemon. I have a 2TB usb disk I can use to download to. Samba would be nice to for XBMC to mount it, but it's not 100% necessary.

Is drat Small Linux my best option? I'm most comfortable with Debian but am open to any distro really.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

rt4 posted:

What type of processor does that terminal have?

I wouldn't bother with one of those weird tiny distros unless it's a Pentium II or something equally old.

It's a VIA C7. Just regular old X86.

the part where I have trouble is I have very little room to work with and most of the regular distros can't squeeze on there, even if I do a minimal commandline only install.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

rt4 posted:

I think Arch will run on that CPU and fit into that disk space with a minimal install...

It's funny you said that, my googling seems to be pointing me in that direction too.

I'm a complete Arch "n00b" so this will be a fun little project to learn the new quirks.

Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zom Aur posted:

Why not just put your poo poo on the 2TB drive instead?

Drive is at home, I'm doing the install at work. I'm fine with it and would rather use the internal flash for now.

I seem to have run into a problem with the install at the hard drive partition:

"arch could not create all the needed file systems".

maybe I'm making my /boot drive to small (32MB)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Oh, that's right, now I remember why I took this thing out of production, the flash is corrupt. Found an old USB 2GB stick. gently caress it, I'll use this. Thanks again guys!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ok, this is driving me loving insane.

I'm trying to install Arch onto a 2GB USB drive.

According to the Arch USB install documentation, the auto partition option should not be used. No big deal, I'm comfortable enough using mkfs and fdisk.

I boot off of the Arch CD but instead of running the /arch/setup I begin working with the commandline, since the drat auto partition and cfdisk throw an error.

So I get through making my partitions

/boot 100M *bootable
swap 256M
/ 1000 G
/ ~600MB

I write the table. It says I need to reboot. I reboot, go back to the same spot. Now, I know the boot partition needs to be EXT2 so I run:

mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1

Returns:

/dev/sda1 is apparently in use by the system; will not make filesystem here!

Apparently the Arch CD is locking /dev/sda*?

I'm booting off of a USB CDROM and trying to install onto a USB stick. My googlefoo is failing me as a lot of the results point to MDADM being some kinf of problem and I'm definitely not running MDADM.

Has anyone successfully installed Arch on a USB drive? Any pointers or help?

EDIT: Fixed it, a simple dd to zero out the drive worked. Sorry for the rant and wall of text.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 13, 2011

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Does any of you guys read the Linux magazines?

I usually check them out at Barnes and Noble. Linux Format, Linux Pro, Linux Magazine, and Linux Journal. The ones with DVD's are pretty drat expensive (plus they are from Europe) like $16. I also don't see the point in buying a DVD since we've had cable internet for the last 10 years, so why pay extra for a distro that's a couple months old?

Maybe if I only had internet when I could find an open wifi station, and I could use one of those DVD's to install Linux on my laptop.

Anyway, sometimes I get some good tips or find out about apps I don't hear about online.

I'm hoping they make a lot of these available on Newsstand for iOS, along with a few other IT magazines. We'll see.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So, this is a bit of an odd question.

I have an ESATA drive on FreeBSD 8.2 right now. I partitioned it and formatted it with EXT2 and adjusted the Inode size to 128, and backed up all of my data to it.

I did this because I'm getting awful performance with ZFS and I think I'm just going to switch over to Ubuntu or Debian (Cant use OI or Nexenta because their reorient pkg is broken and I can't seem to get it to compile without crashing on startup) and just use MDADM raid.

I guess my question is, will FreeBSD partitions/slices translate over fine to Linux?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

Is there a DBAN alternative that can boot from USB, and preferably does SSDs?

I’ve tried everything under the sun to get it to boot from USB with no luck.

I could probably do it manually, but I’ve got about 20 drives to wipe and can only do 4 disks at a time. A plug in and wait tool would save me so much time.

I’d even be happy to shell out a few quid if needs be.

Don't run dban on a SSD. You're looking for a secure erase utility.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

I had to use vim to do homework in a class once, I know enough how to move to where I want to write text, put text there, save and quit, or quit without saving. I usually default to nano and it's not because I think it's superior, but because if I used vim I'd be entering/exiting insert mode half a dozen times to make the same edits I'd do in nano. I'm never going to use it's scripting elements, so why bother.

This has been, "input from a person who is so coddled by graphical apps for his entire life that he owned an Apple IIGS with GSOS while everyone else had to make do with shell commands on less fancy computers like the IIc". Thank you and good night.

You can do all kinds of cool poo poo to text when you're not in insert mode in VIM. And this is coming from someone who thinks hitting / to search for patterns is "advanced".

Use what you want, I get that VI/M can be a pita to pick up but I can say from firsthand experience that it's worth learning.

I wish there was a nice cheat sheet I could tape to the side of my monitor but they're all gigantic.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

G-Prime posted:

Okay, this is not at all what you asked for, but it fulfills the same need and takes up the same size of space you're looking for. WASD Keyboards offers a keyboard that can come with caps that have VIM shortcuts printed right on them.

Edit: If you want a printed cheat sheet, look here.

And if you're serious about the poster, look here.

Thank you!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I learned visual blocks in vi today. Still can't wrap my head around hjkl tho.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Hoping someone can help, this is a bit of a developer question probably but there's no Linux or Docker thread in CoC.

I'm trying out Linux, definitely no expert at all. I've installed Deepin which is based on Debian. Everything is going pretty well and I quite like it, but for whatever reason my docker containers are unable to bind ports. The containers always encounter permission issues. I could understand this if they were trying to bind a sub-1024 port, but they're not. They're numbers like 5432 (postgres), 8080, etc. I've tried Googling extensively but all the results I find refer to reserved ports and how to enable them (I tried following these just in case, to no avail).

Anyone ever encountered this issue?

Are you mapping ports or binding to the host port directly?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Wait what? I use ansible over SSH all the time at work.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Merv Burger posted:

I run pihole with it's Docker image, it makes it a lot cleaner, with regards to making sure it doesn't mess up any existing services that may be running.

Yep, this is the way to go.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

NewFatMike posted:

This is great and gives me a second thing to learn how to use docker to use. Hell yeah!

It's gonna get wild when I upgrade from my desktop and turn it into my home server.

It also makes moving to a new server super easy. Back up your docker compose file, back up data, move, install docker, run docker compose, bang, you're up and running.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Look at it as training/studying.

You can run rancherOS in FreeNAS and have docker if you want.

I run plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, UniFi, nzbhydra, nginx/Letsencrypt all in docker on my unraid server and it's good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Axe-man posted:

Anyone trying deepin? I saw this article and formatted a laptop to try it and uh... it feels like mint had a person working on the ui to make it feel like macos/windows 10.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...tion-needs/amp/

I mean it is Forbes but other than being pretty it seems to be kinda of an entry level debian based distro with a few more bells and whistles than normal. I am not seeing the big deal.

I am thinking of going back to my manjaro with kde...

hard pass on Huawei linux.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CFox posted:

I mean how are they even in IT if they can't deal with constant progress and change?

Especially in a Linux touching environment where devopsyish stuff is probably happening.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I freaking love systemd

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

We're barely getting into devops stuff. This is government and we're always at least 5 years behind the curve, and in some cases it's more. I can cope with that, it's just how life works when you have no money for anything.

The systemd thing is really getting on my nerves though. You can't even mention working with it without half the room going on an angry tirade about how lovely it is and it was forced on the world and no one wants it.

I mean, even automating basic deployments and tasks with something like ansible is a nice start. You don't need to go full hog CI/CD and containerize all the things to start touching things but yeah, I know those wheels move slow.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

We use SecureCRT and it's good.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fedora in the streets (desktop) RHEL/CentOS in the sheets (server)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ive played around with Fedora on the desktop on my t460s laptop and its pretty drat good.

And yeah, through work I've definitely come to appreciate Centos/RHEL on the server side. The only other distro I'd consider server side would be Debian stable, and even then it would only be if for some reason something has better support on Deb based distro (for example I run docker on Debian now since Centos8 basically dropped it).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

personally I would not use any hashing or COW filesystems on a pi.

LVM mirror will probably be the lowest overhead but you've still got USB overhead there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

netdata is great too because it runs at the lowest priority. for historical collection though, you're going to want something like cockroachdb or prometheus to store the info and Grafana as a frontend which, yeah, that's gonna be annoying if you do it locally.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

Since when does the registrar need to allow subdomains? If you register company.com, do you no longer control *.company.com?

Or do you mean find a dns provider(different thing than your registrar) who allows that level of control, because it's not an issue of allowed so much as capable

Dome DNS sections of registrars don't allow a wildcard subdomain. So yeah. It's nice for something like traefik where you can define a subdomain per docker container for routing things with minimal setup.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zotix posted:

What's the go-to method/ course/ etc to go from Linux zero to hero in 4-6 months? I know that's a short time frame for a new OS and it's a constant learning process but I'd like to learn as much as I can. I have Ubuntu and CentOS iso's downloaded. I've also set Ubuntu up on a separate partition and dabbles in it last night. Not sure if I should skip Ubuntu and go right to CentOS? I also downloaded VM Ware so I could run it through a VM. What courses are recommended to get started? Thanks.

Set up a NAS with ZFS and sonarr/radarr/torrents/plex with no GUI. Ssh only. Then turn it into an Ansible routine.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Times have changed! When I got my first linux job in 1998 all I could do was compile the kernel and get a ppp connection configured. :v:

I do not miss those days. I remember getting a red hat CD with a magazine and only had man pages to keep me warm.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

I gave up years ago and keep a single usb key, and dd over the top of it with whatever image solves my current problem.

this is the way to do it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I'm building a new desktop for work, and I'm thinking I'll switch to using Linux. Having spent the past five years using macOS, the thought of returning to Windows is unappealing. Is there a distribution you'd recommend for a relative beginner who likes the look of macOS? I spend most of my time doing statistical programming in R, Python, and Julia and writing in LaTeX. I'd like to keep using homebrew for a package manager because of familiarity, though I could be convinced not to if this will be more of a headache than it's worth.

The distro chooser quiz recommended Ubuntu, elementary OS, and Linux Mint; going through the last ~15 pages of the thread, I've seen Fedora, KUbuntu, and Opensuse Leap recommended for desktops. Is there a clear choice for my use case and experience level, or if not, are any of these bad choices?

Fedora is my desktop of choice. And dnf/yum >>>>>> Homebrew, which I love on my Mac but its a slow awful piece of crap sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

its competitive with Konsole, I'll give you that. iTerm2 is like the only saving grace, but it gives me a window into the archaic version of bash installed

like, if I wanted to script in bash on it, I would have to install a loving linux VM, how stupid is that?

I haven't checked the age of the zsh is stuck me with this time around, tbh

E: just checked, looks like its running the current version of zsh, so thats a thing. still running bash 3.2, so can't really script against that.

you can upgrade bash with brew