Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I'm trying to use my iBook running debian as a boot server to install NetBSD onto an SGI Indy. Doing this requires the debian server to run bootpd and tftpd. I've installed both and updated inetd.conf accordingly. Bootp is running fine, but tftpd wont start. I've looked through my logs and I haven't been able to find the source of the problem.

What could be preventing tftpd from starting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
What is the best email server to use for ~5-10 users on a CentOS vm instance? Bonus points for one that can be configured in under 30 minutes after 3-4 beers

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Thanks, the post fix mouse is cool I'll try to use it. I just switched from a apisnetworks developer account to a linode-cheapest-node account, and welp I can run my java apps now, but i sure am having to do a lot more linux janitoring!

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I don't mind janitoring, I'm just really out of practice. I can send mail to <username>@<host>.<tld>, but mail from that account shows up as <username>@<host>.members.linode.com. I just now set the reverse DNS to point to <host>.<tld>. I am holding on to my butt and praying' like hell that this will fix it

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

There Will Be Penalty posted:

In /etc/postfix/main.cf you need to set mydomain (or myorigin in certain circumstances).
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

But you still need to do the reverse DNS thing because some spam filters will reject your emails if you don't.

Thanks!! That helped. I'm now my domain is showing up as "From: <user>@<host>.members.linode.com via <host>.<tld>". The 'via' wasn't there before. So i'm sniffing around setting up the SPF. The rabbit hole continues!

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
With the thread's help, I was able to get the email to show up from the correct domain name. I did a number of things, I forgot what some of the things were, other things I blindly did without knowing exactly what they meant. In short, I shouldn't be administering a linux, but this is a hobby thing and the 5-10 users are all me, so it is good enough. I'll look into tying my domain into gmail, it'd be nice to not have to worry about it breaking or getting put on an RBL

me-using-linux.gif

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
The "buy" vs. "make" decision is difficult. For personal projects I tend to go for "make" because its cheaper, and I wind up learning something new. On the other hand, I spend more time doing stuff to support the activity I'm interested in rather than the activity itself. I go to change a light bulb but wind up fixing the car. Anyways, I appreciate the help and the advice.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
What's the right way to route :80 traffic to :8080? I'm flooded with ways to do this, and unable to determine what the 'right' way is on CentOS w/ systemd. Seems like the way is to do it with iptables, right?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

GregNorc posted:

Anyone know of an open source graphing calc for Linux? (With a GUI.)

Something simple you could give to a middle schooler instead of a TI-83.

I really doubt there is a linux app that meets the simplicity and feature-forfeature functionality of a TI-83. Teachers know TI calcs well and are able to help students learn how to use them. Is training a consideration?

If you're hard up for giving a classroom full of kids a graphing thing with no budget for calcs, you could build a front end for python+matplotlib (or something else idk) that takes equations and returns results and displays plots. There are things like DrRacket which has a plotting package. If you wrote up a tutorial that simplifies things, I imagine a middle schooler could come to grips with it. http://docs.racket-lang.org/plot/intro.html

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Maybe you could run the dev kit with wine, it can emulate a TI-83

https://education.ti.com/en/us/software/details/en/7EDBCE1FA37F4906B774BE9C71FEB076/swti83-84plussdk

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I'm having trouble with java+serial+linux. I see the serial adapter as /dev/ttyUSB0, which belongs to the 'dialout' group. I added my user account to the 'dialout' group, and can talk to the serial port through programs like picocom.

However, talking to the port through java has a problem. I get this error,

quote:

�.�[ testRead() Lock file failed
check_group_uucp(): error testing lock file creation Error details:Permission deniedcheck_lock_status: No permission to create lock file.
RXTX fhs_lock() Error: opening lock file: /var/lock/LCK..ttyS15: Permission denied. FAILED TO OPEN: No such file or directory

which is expected given the permissions of /var/lock/ are this,

quote:

0 drwxr-xr-x. 7 root root 160 Jan 12 09:56 lock

I know better than to just start changing perms and ownership of directories like this one, but I see two options: change the group of /var/lock to 'lock', then add the user to the lock group, -or- use another java library.

• Fedora 23
  • nrjavaserial-3.9.3.1
  • java 1.8.0_65

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Is the location that the Java app uses for its lockfile configurable? You could create /var/lock/whatever/ owned by the user/group that this application runs under and use that.

It is indeed, through a #define in the C source. That may be an acceptable solution. Thanks!

https://github.com/NeuronRobotics/nrjavaserial/blob/86b44454cebc7ba29c2032e904cfbe4eb098b841/src/main/c/include/SerialImp.h#L370-L372

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I have been recommending Vagrant (https://www.vagrantup.com) to people wanting to use linux for a specific one-off purpose, or learning. Its crazy easy to use, but someone new to Linux or unfamiliar with VMs would never know how to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Jerry Bindle posted:

I'm trying to use my iBook running debian as a boot server to install NetBSD onto an SGI Indy. Doing this requires the debian server to run bootpd and tftpd. I've installed both and updated inetd.conf accordingly. Bootp is running fine, but tftpd wont start. I've looked through my logs and I haven't been able to find the source of the problem.

What could be preventing tftpd from starting?

I can't believe I was ever wasting my time like this. jfc.