Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
I'd like to run a Linux distro in conjunction with my Windows Vista set up.

That is, to be more clear, I need to run Windows, but is there a way (Like with some kind of Virtual PC thing) to have a Linux Distro running at the exact same time, within windows?

Honestly, I am getting sick and tired of Apache crashing on me every 2 minutes and dealing with lots of other windows crap.

I'd like to do just my web development work in Linux environment, and all my other duties on a Windows environment, all on the same computer.

Any way to make this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Get VMWare Player Here

Create virtual machine file (vmx) using this site

Download Distro ISO

Run vmx file using VMware player, and mount the ISO and install.

Just curious, but are those free? I can't tell by the site and wondering if there are hidden costs.

Also, how is the speed of this when running side by side with Vista?

I have Vista 64bit business, 4 GBs ram, 6 MB's L2 Cache.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

gwon posted:

Yes, it's all free. And the best way to see how it performs, is to give it a try. 4GB of RAM is a bonus.

Cool,

So when I choose a Distro, which one would you recommend?

I want to use it for web development, so setting up a localhost server for testing is #1.

Then the fact that I have 4GB's of RAM, 64bit Dual Core CPU, and around 90GBs of HD space free.

Thanks again!

EDIT:

Just got the following error when using Ubuntu 64bit...

cannibustacap fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 14, 2009

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

The Merkinman posted:

More familiar with VirtualBox myself, but, how did you go about making the Ubuntu machine? Unless you downloaded a premade virtual machine, you have to download and then mount the .iso and install the operating system.

Oh, I thought the Distro ISO is compiled or something. It did seem like a quick download haha. Where do I specifically download the correct ISO?

So to be more clear:

I downloaded the Virtual Machine software, then I downloaded the .VMX file. So now that I have those two, where would I find the correct .ISO file that corresponds to the .VMX I downloaded?

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
Okay I downloaded the 8.10 64bit Ubuntu Distro. Cool it work.

I am wondering, are there any other pre-made Distro ISO's that come with Apache and MYSQL and all that already set up?

EDIT:

Another question:

How do you run the Virtual Machine software in Full Screen Mode? I am using VMware (free).

If it doesn't have a full screen mode, it will make things a lot harder.

I of course googled this question but every answer seemed to be for some other version or specific to another situation. I just want my virtual machine taking up all my monitor. When I press the "maximize" button, all it does it take up the whole screen with the actual "monitor" as a tiny box in the center...

EDIT2:
I did try Alt-Enter, I tried any known key combo. It doesn't work. I just need it to fit the monitor...

EDIT:
I did try Alt-Enter with the right alt key and left alt key. No difference. (Just in case someone was going to suggest that...)

cannibustacap fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 15, 2009

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
Even in VirtualBox and VMware, the full screen mode just doesn't work...

See the screen shot below.

All the black space is what I see (but full sized). There has to be a way to allow the vitual machine to take up all my screen..

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

falz posted:

Change the resolution of the video in the VM? It appears to be set at something small, like 640x480.

How do I do that.....?

I actually thought about this earlier, but I couldn't find any way to do this.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

Anmitzcuaca posted:

system>preferences>screen resolution.

You might also want to enable "Exclusive mode" which gets rid of the VMWare toolbar from the top of the screen, which is a bit annoying when you're in fullscreen. Hit ctrl+alt to exit fullscreen when in exclusive mode.

So now my goal is to install the nVidia drivers for linux becuaes my only options for screen resolution is 800x600 :(

Anyway, for some reason I have "no privledges" to put the nvidia install file in the "/" (root) directory.

I also am not allowed to log in as "root" through the normal log in screen.

There has to be some getting started guide to linux. It seems like you need a degree in IT to get anything done :(

So my question is: How do I give my self full permissions? I am using a viritual machine and I do not care about security or any of that, I just want to be able to use the thing.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

The Merkinman posted:

If you're using VirtualBox you have to install the virtualbox addons

You know I am trying to do that, but it won't let me!

I have the image mounted, and get the following errors... So this is kind of ridiculous. Why can't it "find" my autorun program. I am staring at it right now...

(Don't mind the gray background, I was taking a snapshot at the moment).

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
Okay I finally got over my initial issues!!

I followed this http://www.pcmech.com/article/windows-to-ubuntu-transition-guide/ and http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=47019&sid=9fd91defbc4d0250d9942a1682eb2456

So I'll update you guys with more questions later. Good night :)

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
Another little question..

I can't seem to run a certain application, here is what is going on:

I would like to set up Eclipse's Zend PDT application. This is different from regular Eclipse that you can download with the Synaptic service (I can't find it on there or on the Add/Remove thing)

The link for it is here:
http://www.zend.com/en/community/pdt
or here to download: http://downloads.zend.com/pdt/all-in-one/pdt-2.0.0GA_debugger-5.2.15.v20081217-all-in-one-linux-gtk.tar.gz

I really cannot figure out how to execute the Eclipse Zend for linux.

Moreoever, I did download the .tar.gz file containing the Eclipse set up. I then tried the "./eclipse" command to start it and it didn't work. See this:

code:
eric@Eric-linux:~/Desktop/eclipse$ ls -la
total 460
drwxrwxr-x  9 eric eric   4096 2008-12-29 05:29 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 eric eric   4096 2009-02-15 17:11 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 eric eric   4096 2008-09-11 16:37 about_files
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric  13852 2008-09-11 16:24 about.html
-rw-rw-r--  1 eric eric  39292 2008-09-11 16:37 artifacts.xml
drwxr-xr-x  5 eric eric   4096 2008-09-11 16:37 configuration
drwxrwxr-x  3 eric eric   4096 2008-12-29 03:22 dropins
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric  52576 2008-09-11 16:24 eclipse
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric    161 2008-09-11 16:37 eclipse.ini
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric     59 2008-09-11 16:24 .eclipseproduct
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric  16536 2008-09-11 16:24 epl-v10.html
drwxrwxr-x  7 eric eric   4096 2008-12-29 05:29 features
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric 266168 2008-09-11 16:24 libcairo-swt.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric   6506 2008-09-11 16:24 notice.html
drwxrwxr-x  5 eric eric   4096 2008-09-11 16:37 p2
drwxrwxr-x 10 eric eric  16384 2008-12-29 05:30 plugins
drwxr-xr-x  2 eric eric   4096 2008-09-11 16:37 readme
eric@Eric-linux:~/Desktop/eclipse$ ./eclipse
bash: ./eclipse: No such file or directory
See as you can see, it thinks its not there or something.

How do I get this thing to run?

I am on Ubuntu 8.10 64bit running through VirtualBox.

cannibustacap fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 16, 2009

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

ShoulderDaemon posted:

/ is not the same as \

Yeah I know. I tried both but copy and pasted the wrong one :(

I edited it to fix it.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Well, that appears to be a 32-bit executeable and that is the error that Linux returns if asked to run an executeable that it doesn't have a personality for. I'd guess you need to get the 64-bit version.

Is there any 32bit mode to run it in? I mean I was able to get regular Eclipse installed, as well as a few other applications...

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Installing the ia32-libs package would be enough on a Debian system to get you a basic 32-bit personality.

Well, I am pretty new to this.. so I am not sure what you mean...

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 64bit. What things can I do to allow the running of 32bit applications..?

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

Gleng posted:

Run Synaptic, then search for ia32. Install everything that starts with ia32. That should sort you out for most things.

Now, the "./eclipse" command does execute, but absolutely nothing happens...

Heh, so what do I do now?

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

FunOne posted:

Zend is not different from regular Eclipse, in fact you can install it using Eclipse's software update feature as mentioned on the page you linked.

I would recommend:

1) Deleting what you've already done
2) Downloading 64bit eclipse for linux
3) Making sure that works
4) Installing Zend via the software update method inside of Eclipse

Otherwise you're running into a whole pile of 32bit library compatibility poo poo.

What I ended up doing was scrapping 64bit unbuntu and just going for 32bit. It only took about 40 minutes from downloading the ISO to getting back to where I was (Ironically it took like 24 hours to figure out how to do that :( )

And, I did try looking up the right updates for Zend on Eclipse in 64bit and I couldn't find anything at all. It was really a bummer. Plus there are like 100's of things it looks like.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
I have just set up a CentOS virtualbox and installed Xampp on there and its working great.

From my host computer (or any computer on my home network) I can access the pages via 192.168.1.107/xampp

However, I'd like to access my pages from outside my home network. For example, my IP address is 72.12.133.x and I'd like to open up a port on my router (I know a little hack that will let me open up a single port for all incoming traffic, I did this so I could WOL from anywhere).

However, I'm not exactly sure how to go about it...

1- How do I direct out of network traffic through a certain port when they are requesting?

2- How do I ensure that only certain areas of my virtualbox xampp server are accessible

3- Any other tips, tricks, and security things I should watch out for? The virtualbox is a playground sandbox, so nothing secure is on it, and I assume there is no access from it to my host OS except one shared folder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

Longinus00 posted:

This is more suited for the home networking thread but you're looking for a feature called 'port forwarding' on your router. As far as securing xampp maybe someone else here has some experience with it but if you've got a bit of spare time you can write up a selinux/apparmor profile for it.

The home networking part of this little thing should be the easy part (I hope). I think working with the xampp security settings and making sure its open through a port is the part I'd need help with.

To be honest, I'm not really sure how to go about doing this. In the meanwhile, I can't even access phpmyadmin from outside the localhost.