Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I'm having trouble allowing normal users access to realtime scheduling for my IEEE1394 interface:

code:
toad@toadu:~$ jackd -R -d freebob
jackd 0.103.0
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread -1210148160, from thread -1210148160] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot create engine
Note that this works fine if I run it under sudo.

Everything I have read suggests that having the following in /etc/security/limits.conf should help:

code:
*       -        rtprio          99
*       -        memlock         512000
*       -        nice            -19
But it doesn't, does anyone have any other ideas about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yah, I had read that as well.

I am running 2.6.22-14-generic. However, for reasons I will never understand, after hours upon hours of beating my head against this wall and saying many nasty things, I moved on to another project, installed Squid and set up web SSH tunneling so I can browse unsnooped from work, and now I can magically start jackd in realtime mode as myself. I don't get it either, but I'm also not complaining.