Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I need a distribution recommendation. I have an old Pentium 3 laptop with 512MB RAM that and 40GB harddrive that I need to get running solely to do Java development. All I need to install is Firefox, Eclipse Europa, JBoss, and Open Office and have them run in some semblance of acceptable speed. I'm pretty much a windows/mac only person, but I'm not afraid to try something new if the learning curve isn't longer than a week or two just to use those programs effectively. I've been reading up on it and I think that the real options for me are Ubuntu and OpenSUSE. Any info you could give me would be appreciated.

To give some background, I need this computer for work. I'm geting tired of carrying my real laptop to work every day and I have this spare old laptop sitting around with no XP cd and forgot the admin password anyway. If I can get this running for my purpose, I can just leave this at work and not have to worry about it.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I actually forgot to ask this question in my previous reply. Is there any chance that I'd be able to run Photoshop CS2 in wine on that computer?

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I am trying to delete an old SVN repository on a RedHat server and I keep getting this error

code:
rm: cannot remove `locks//.nfs00000000003b78da0000003a': Device or resource busy
There are no svnserve processes or anything running that could have caused this lock. Is there any way to figure out what is causing this? Restarting the server isn't possible at the moment, but if that's the only answer just let me know and I won't worry about it.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

waffle iron posted:

Check the output of lsof as root. It should tell you every file descriptor/memory map open.

Thank you so much! That's amazing. I had no idea that command existed. It's basically unlocker for Linux.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I just installed Ubuntu Server 9.04 in a VM Ware instance on Windows Server 2003. I am finding that it always sleeps after about 10 minutes of inactivity on its main terminal window. Sometimes I'm cut off while I'm in an SSH session. I've tried setterm -powersave off but I don't think that the problem is just the terminal. After about the 10 minutes, it cuts off the internet completely, I have to restart eth0 to get networking working again. Any idea what I can do here?

Edit: Also, I don't have a /etc/default/acpi-support file to change the power settings. I can't figure out where else I should be looking.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

Zom Aur posted:

Check windows or VM Ware settings?

Windows is fine, when I go back to the computer I am looking at the VMWare and all the other operating systems running with no problems. I have to click into the ubuntu one and then start typing. Then I have to restart eth0 and everything works again. I'm pretty sure that it's something to do with ubuntu. None of the other operating systems running on that VMWare instance have this sleeping problem.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
Is there a way to copy and paste without a mouse in a bash shell? I would like to put the output of a pwd into my .bashrc to add an alias for a certain directory. I'm sure there's a way to do this without a mouse, but I don't know how to move a value from the command prompt into vim. Thanks!

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

bitprophet posted:

However however, if you're actually using vim, you can just do :r !pwd as :r !<some command> will stick a command's output into your buffer at your current cursor location. (for more, :help :r)

That's awesome and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I have two questions:

1)Is there anything like Freexer for the mac? I don't know what exactly you call what Freexer does. Is that X11 forwarding? I don't need a full desktop environment, I just need to be able to run graphical things like gedit.

2)Is there a way to open up a directory in your home directory completely to another user without access to root? I have a SVN repo in my home folder ~/svn. I am trying to give my partner access to it so she can check in and out. I've chmod 777 ~/svn -R and she gets an access is denied error. Any idea of what to do? Do you have to have ownership of a directory to check out from SVN?

Thanks!

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

FISHMANPET posted:

You should make a group for you two so you can set it to 770 instead of 777. Second, your home directory needs to be executable by her too. If you still want to go world readable, you need something like 701, or if you only want it group readable, 710 will work.

And I'm pretty sure Mac has an X11 client built in or that can be installed from the disc.

I can make a group without being a super user? Also, why does the actual home directory need to be executable by her?

Do you know how I could find out if I have that client? I don't know how I'd use it. Just using the regular terminal, I get (gedit:13702): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: . Thanks for your help!

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

FISHMANPET posted:

Is this a personal machine of yours, or a public machine (like at a University?) If it's at a University or something, talk to your support staff and they'll help you set something up. If it's your own machine, then why don't you have root access?

The reason the directory needs to be executable is that when a directory is executable it means you can cd into it. Try it yourself, create a directory, give it 777 permissions, cd into it, and then go back out, change it to 666, you won't be able to get in.

As for the Mac thing, I have no idea. Google OSX X11 forwarding or ask in a Mac thread I guess.

Ah I see! It is at a university. I am emailing the system admin now. Thanks for your help!

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I'm trying desperately to install lxml for python on a x64 machine and having tons of problems. I've narrowed the problem down to what is happening in this link (don't worry about the security certificate, just don't login or something) but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. That was from November of last year so I'm hoping that there is a solution by now. It says that it was closed because it was fixed, but it doesn't say anywhere how it was fixed.

Any help would be really great. I'm supposed to get this done in the next hour so I'm trying really hard to figure it out. Thank you.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

lilbean posted:

Can't you just install lxml from the source instead of from the Arch package? I'd assume one of the following methods would work (with easy_install being obviously the easiest):
http://codespeak.net/lxml/installation.html#installation

:) that was a great idea that I don't know why didn't occur to me. I actually tried easy install originally and I got errors and that's why I went the yum route. Actually using python2.6 setup.py build worked but I had to add /usr/lib64 to my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Thanks for your help!

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

Misogynist posted:

That's probably the wrong way to do it -- you want to make sure that /usr/lib64 is in /etc/ld.so.conf and re-run ldconfig.

I never had to run ldconfig. What step of the process is that required? I think that the python script setup.py must take care of that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

Misogynist posted:

Knowing how to run the DSO loader is a basic foundation of Linux system administration (and one that many people barely know about because on most distributions it just sort of works). It isn't related to any particular software installation.

/usr/lib64 should just be included, though, without you having to specify it in either place. It's one of those glibc defaults.

This is on the list of things that are really interesting, but I have no idea how to learn about. I am actually a web UI developer who was thrown into this role because the company doesn't have a linux sys admin. This is totally different than the javascript that I usually look at, but I can figure my way around.

I would have expected /usr/lib64 to be the default everywhere too, but apparently it is not. It's redhat 5 and I don't know what version.

So glibc is the c standard library implementation and ldconfig configures where the c compilers look for shared libraries?