Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

brothersgrim posted:

I'm looking for a program that can connect to a Unix console via the serial port.

Minicom would have been great but it doesn't have support for VT320-7 emulation. I'm currently using TinyTerm for Windows and it's the only thing that's stopping me from converting my work machine to Linux. Last time I tried TinyTerm in WINE it just crashed spectacularly.

code:
xterm -e cu -l /dev/ttyS1 -s 9600
(for /dev/ttyS1 with 9600 bps)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

dfn_doe posted:

I haven't the foggiest idea about a debian specific Howto, but I've been pretty pleased with my current conbimation:
1) Fetchmail grabs mail from several pop3 accounts
2) Procmail does a bunch of regex voodoo to sort things out and stick everything into maildir format
3) Bincimap serves up my mail via imap/SSL for when I want to use a remote client
4) Pine with maildir patches works great for local console based client
5) Thunderbird handles local graphical client duties
6) Postfix manages outgoing mail

Also:

1) cyrus is the best imap and pop3 server, with its own mail delivery/storage similar to maildir, but not locally accessible for the user.
2) pine is the best imap client ever.
2a) alpine is also the best imap client ever (being Apache-licensed pine).
3) Thunderbird is the second best imap client ever, and therefore the best GUI imap client.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

The main things I want are:

- UTF-8 output
- practically unlimited scrollback
- not too ugly looking scrollbar
- ability to cut and paste with Ctrl+Shift+C/Ctrl+Shift+V (or something similar)
code:
xterm -fa "Monospace" -fs 10 -sb -rightbar -sl 10000 -u8
should be pretty close to what you want (except for copy-paste -- xterm always pastes on button 2).

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Aoi-chan posted:

Here are two questions I've had since being an admin that I've not seen answered yet.

Why can't I forcibly remove 'z' state (zombie) processes from the process table to reclaim PIDs/space,
Zombie is a process that exited but not yet accepted by its parent' wait()/waitpid(). Zombies do not use any resources other than PID and descriptor that kernel keeps to return process completion data to its parent.

It's pointless to kill zombies because if they are long-lived, there is another process (zombie's parent) that is mis-designed or stuck. Killing that process kills a zombie. If a parent process exited before child, init takes place of its parent.

quote:

and why can't I forcibly kill a process stuck in 'd' state (disk wait)?
Because i/o operation is not complete. Again, problem is usually not in a process that is waiting for i/o but on the device that is not responding.

quote:

Our machine used to collect about 5 zombies per day for some reason, and we ran out of proc table space eventually on it.
Instead of trying to fix the symptom, fix the problem, the process that leaves its children hanging as zombies. If there are enough processes to fill the process table, obviously the parent process does not preform its function, so it should be fixed or at least restarted.

quote:

Also, since we ran on NFS, sometimes we REALLY needed to kill processes that were uselessly stuck in disk wait. I never felt like it made sense to have to wait 10 minutes to get my terminal back because the net dropped while I was doing 'ls'.
Fix NFS, and I/O will complete. NFS handles even survive server reboots, so unless you have a server that permanently died in the middle of work (and then NFS clients hanging would be the last of your worries), this should not be a problem.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Gambit32 posted:

Good god, how in the world to do I keep vim from making tmp/backup files of EVERYTHING i edit?

Ive got dozens of filename.ext~ files all over my system. I would assume its something in the vimrc file, but I swear im blind because I cant figure which setting it is

help~

Actually those are Emacs backup files.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Envy Insanity posted:

I haven't used Linux since 2001, and even then I was a novice, so bear with me. I decided to dual-boot Linux with XP for a while and see if I can get back in to it. I decided to go with Ubuntu.

I got all my disks ready and burned a copy of the Linux System Rescue CD so I could use Gparted to partition the drives. It boots fine, but when I type "startx", the monitor shuts down (Using Nvidia 5500 FX). I've been googling and looking through Wikis for two hours, and have found a bunch of people with the same problem, but nobody with a solution. I realize that the drivers hate Linux, and some people have mentioned editing the /etx/X11/xorg.conf file, but I'm having trouble even locating it, not sure if that even applies to me since I'm running it off a LiveCD.

So, I'm an idiot, but I'd like to try, suggestions are appreciated.

edit: So, I stopped being an idiot for a second and got in to editing the conf file with nano, but it was already set to vesa. When it's set like this, the display turns off. On a kick, I switched it to ati and it gave me the "No devices detected" and "No screens found" errors.

Still lost.

If your live CD doesn't do it by itself, manually ser HorizSync and VertRefresh to whatever your monitor can understand. Most of live CDs (including Ubuntu "desktop" live/installer CD that you can also use to run gparted) do it automatically.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

phystrr tuat posted:

I'm running Ubuntu Edgy w/ Gnome desktop: is there any way to get transparent windows without installing Beryl or Compiz? I really just want that one feature...

You can use xcompmgr and transset, and I think, there are versions of other window managers that support transparency internally if xcompmgr is running. You have to enable Composite extension in X and have a card that supports it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

dietary supplement posted:

I'm trying to use my iBook running debian as a boot server to install NetBSD onto an SGI Indy. Doing this requires the debian server to run bootpd and tftpd. I've installed both and updated inetd.conf accordingly. Bootp is running fine, but tftpd wont start. I've looked through my logs and I haven't been able to find the source of the problem.

What could be preventing tftpd from starting?
Wrong permissions or invalid options. There are few different tftpd implementations, I use tftp-hpa.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

rotor posted:

The resolv.conf on the linux box looks like:

code:
search localhost
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 10.0.0.1
I've tried removing 127.0.0.1 and the 'search localhost' from the file, but it's the same either way.

So I turn to goons. he;lp.

Why "nameserver 10.0.0.1" line is there? What are the IP addresses on that box?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Smackbilly posted:

2. You can't switch kernels without rebooting, so you can't delete the files for the old kernel before booting into the new kernel. Any way of automating that would be prone to a lot of problems.

Kernel and its modules' files (and initial ramdisk file) can be safely removed while running -- it will only break autoload of modules if you physically install devices or set up something like networking options that require additional modules when their files are gone, however already loaded modules will continue working.

It's still a bad idea to remove them before making sure that the new kernel works and configured to be booted though.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

rotor posted:

10.0.0.1 is my router. It forwards DNS requests upstream to my ISPs servers. I've tried replacing it with the ISPs servers, but no difference.

But the whole point of dnsmasq is that you never use "real" nameservers, and only talk to the proxy.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

rotor posted:

Then maybe I'm misunderstanding how this should work then. Apologies in advance for stupid questions, etc.

I was under the impression that I would run dnsmasq on my linux box, 10.0.0.8. I would then set the dns servers of all the machines on the LAN to 10.0.0.8, except for 10.0.0.8 itself, which should continue to use the actual DNS servers. Then 10.0.0.8 would act as a proxy and forward the DNS queries it didn't know about to the actual DNS server, then cache that result and send it back. Right?

So at some point, it has to go out and talk to an actual DNS server, right? And if I don't specify those in resolv.conf, where -do- I specify it?

As I understand it, dnsmasq by default is not supposed to serve the local box, so you had to remove 127.0.0.1, and everything on the box will not be affected by dnsmasq at all (but then you wouldn't be able to resolve anything). I am not sure if dnsmasq is smart enough to understand that it is not an upstream server of itself, so I can speculate that it probably read /etc/resolv.conf with 127.0.0.1 on startup and tried to query itself for maximum confusion even if you edited that file while it was running.

Since you want to have local applications to use dnsmasq to be able to resolve internal hostnames, I guess, the easiest solution would be to have /etc/resolv.conf file with nothing but "nameserver 127.0.0.1" (plus whatever "search" lines you may need), and list of "upstream" nameservers with nothing but "nameserver 10.0.0.1" -- say, in /etc/resolv-dnsmasq.conf , and "resolv-file=/etc/resolv-dnsmasq.conf" line in /etc/dnsmasq.conf . Then dnsmasq will only talk to the gateway, and local applications will only talk to dnsmasq.

The whole thing may be the result of the presence of "listen-address=" line in /etc/dnsmasq.conf that lists a real interface but not 127.0.0.1, so whatever dnsmasq is doing, is not visible to local applications at all, and they just time out. Just in case, check if /etc/dnsmasq.conf somehow modifies dnsmasq default behavior as a server (addresses, interfaces, etc.).

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

kaschei posted:

I'm trying to record sounds made by programs on the desktop. Preferably I'd like to record all the sounds that would be heard if you were sitting at the computer. I've looked at jackd, but that seems to require that all the programs you use implement their interface (not possible), and screencast programs like ffmpeg and xvidcap just record, as far as I can tell, from normal capture devices like microphones.

I know there is a hardware solution: plug line-out to line-in and set that as my capture device, but my hardware sucks and I get a terrible buzzing noise and fuzz when I do this. Any hw solution would have a reduction in quality anyway, right? So, is there a way to do this in software? I would prefer the mixed version of the whole desktop but I would be more than happy with a single program's audio track and then mix them myself.

I'm using ALSA on Ubuntu Dapper Drake.
Install alsamixer, run it, press F4 for inputs, select "Mix" inpit for recording, adjust levels.

I am sure, Gnome mixer can do it, too.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

skeptic22 posted:

Does anyone know of a way to run Office 2007 with Wine (or Crossover Office) in Ubuntu 7.04? Even a 6.10 supported way would be helpful. I've searched for this extensively, but can only find two not very helpful comments in a Wine APP DB.
If Wine appdb and Crossover Office don't list is as supported, you will need Windows running in VMWare. If you are willing to buy the Office license it probably makes sense to get Windows as well. Eventually it probably will be supported, but usually new versions of Office (intentionally?) use something not implemented in Wine, so there is a delay between release and Wine support.

I have banned Microsoft Office at work and standardized on OpenOffice to avoid this problem at its root.

quote:

Failing this, is there an open source version of OneNote that is an application (not really interested in the HTML wiki solution) and allows for the flexible cutting and pasting, formatting option?
Tomboy (gtk/mono) or Basket (qt/kde) depending on the functionality that you need.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Zuph posted:

Does anyone know how I can permanently disable write-caching on any USB drives I happen to plug into my computer? Running Ubuntu Feisty. It's getting really loving annoying to transfer over a large block of files only to find out at an inconveinient time that they aren't loving there because I didn't unmount it properly.

I don't care if this will reduce the life of my flash media or cause my drives to fragment faster. How the gently caress do I turn it off?

You unmount them properly. To make it easier, add a drive mount applet to the panel if you haven't done it already. Alternatively you can make a launcher button that runs "sync".

teapot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 30, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

indigoe posted:

I have 2 web servers, one CentOS, the other win2k3, both set up with apache. What I would like to accomplish is that when a file changes in /var/www/html (on the linux machine) it's automatically mirrored to the other server (the windows machine) via FTP. I looked into rsync but I don't think it can do what I need. I also tried to google for other solutions, and found unison, but as I understand it, it will not run automatically.

Is this possible in any way or am I crazy for thinking it up?

Both rsync and unison will be able to do that (though none of then use FTP -- it's not a good protocol anyway), however they won't start immediately after a file is changed. You can make a simple shell script that checks if timestamp on the directory (or any directory in a subtree) changed since the last time the directory was checked, and only then run rsync or other utility. The script can run in an infinite loop or be called from cron.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

indigoe posted:

None of those solutions are ideal or in fact solve the problem, and as I've noted I already looked at those utilities. Here it is again what I'm trying to accomplish with different words: automatically mirror files to another server via FTP as they change. By the way there is software for windows that can do this, but if it can't be done in linux I guess I can live with that.

If the script will run in a loop with a small (half a minute) delay, and run rsync whenever a timestamp on a directory changes, it will end up copying files almost instantly. The reason why there is no special package for that is because people who need it usually can write it in 2-3 minutes for their specific needs.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Zuph posted:

Is this because there is no possible way to do this in Linux, or because you feel some strange empathy for my external media?
Because /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi allows you to configure it (uncommenting the section where sync option is configured for everything below 1G, or whatever size limit you can put there) right after the comment with the URL http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kern.../22/111748.html advising you not to do that.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Snozzberry Smoothie posted:

We recently acquired some old celeron 500mhz machines to place in our company warehouse. Tonight, I would like to install a lightweight Linux disto that will be sufficient for these old machines to browse our web-based warehouse software. I tried installing Ubuntu Feisty earlier, but couldn't get it to boot into the LiveCD.

Can someone recommend a distribution that would be quick and painless for an old machine to browse the net (with Firefox 2.0, due to all the web 2.0 poo poo), that'll also connect to our wireless access point straight out of the box (Ubuntu has no problem with this, using the wifi cards we have)?
I run both Debian and Ubuntu on 400-450MHz old boxes with 256-384M of RAM. Many old boxes have damaged, or dirty CD drives, so you may want to use a new one for booting from live CD.

If GNOME and KDE are too slow, you can use Xfce or Window Maker.

Edit: One of configurations still in use at my work is a full-blown Ubuntu install on PIII-450 with 384M of RAM running two X servers -- one for itself, another remote for X session running on a more powerful server. The first is kinda slow, and used mostly for maintenance, however the second remains being used as MY PRIMARY 3D CAD WORKSTATION. No beryl on the second X though.

teapot fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 30, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Harokey posted:

How long should the "wtmp" log file go for?

I just did a 'last' on my machine and got this:

wtmp begins Fri Apr 20 13:51:06 2007

Now I probably did an update around then, does that mean that the update may have cleared the last log? I thought it was supposed to go back to the begining of time.
code:
last -f /var/log/wtmp.1

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Deteriorata posted:

OK, I'm having a strange problem. I just installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn on a clean disk, no other OS. I can't get the machine to boot from the hard disk - GRUB won't load.

If I insert a WinXP setup disk in the CD drive, suddenly GRUB loads. I get one line from the WinXP bootloader - "Please wait while your computer starts from the CD", then a couple dots, then GRUB takes off and Ubuntu loads without further ado.

Any suggestions? What I've got works, but it's a kludge and I'd like to be able to boot directly from the hard drive.

You have disabled booting from the hard drive in BIOS. Enable it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Deteriorata posted:

No, the HDD is the 1st boot device. The Bios can't get a boot going with it, so it turns to the CD as the 2nd choice.

You can try to reinstall grub (and place it in MBR), but it's more likely that SOMETHING in the BIOS configuration prevents booting from hard drive. It may be in the configuration of multiple IDE, SATA or SCSI controllers, or maybe that particular disk can be somehow disabled, or it may be on the controller that BIOS does not see as bootable.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

minute posted:

Yes, I tried the torrents in windows with uTorrent, and they seem to work fine. I was thinking about deluge, but it looks like there's no easy way to uninstall it in case I don't like it, other than manually removing all the files, so I'm kind of wary of installing it.

There are packages on their site for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo and Arch, so uninstalling packages will work the same way as anything else.

teapot fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 5, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

I just upgraded my Ubuntu, and now the Gnome System/Quit... menu only has an icon for "Lock Screen" - all the other options ("Log Out", "Switch User", "Suspend", "Hibernate", "Shut Down") just have a blank space where the icon should be. I haven't been able to find any docs explaining where Gnome looks for each icon - does anybody know what filenames these icons should have, or where I should be looking to find out?

/usr/share/icons/<theme>/<size>/<section>
For example, /usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/gnome-session-hibernate.png

You probably used a theme that was removed or renamed over the upgrade, go to the theme configuration utility (gnome-theme-manager) and choose another theme.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

Ok, I give up. Here's what I wrote first, with the mistake fixed:

But when I actually tried to do this, it replaced the icons in the "Add to Panel" menu, and for the "Main Menu" applet (which is where they just have a single icon, not named menus), but the "Menu Bar" applet (the default Ubuntu one, with the icon and the words Applications, Places and System) it still uses the Ubuntu logo! I have no idea where it gets it from.

You should replace actual files with the images that you want to be used instead of the default logo, not add yet another item to the panel. Logo is a part of the menu bar applet.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

JoeNotCharles posted:

I thought that's what I did do.
If you have replaced the files, just log out and log in again.

quote:

(And I don't know what that last sentence means. Can you rephrase?)
Main Menu applet doesn't re-read the icons when they are changed, so unless it's restarted, it will display the original icon.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

ok, this is kind of unusual.

On Ubuntu 7.04, I suddenly can't sudo.

CODE:
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo
usage: sudo -K | -L | -V | -h | -k | -l | -v
usage: sudo [-HPSb] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid]
            { -e file [...] | -i | -s | <command> }
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo -s
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ sudo apt-get install fusesmb
xxxx@xxxxx:~$ groups
xxxx fuse
/etc/sudoers looked perfectly normal, with %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

running synaptic:

what the heck happened

Are you running as root after sudo -s ?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

No, sudo does nothing in any form. Same goes for sudo -K ; sudo whatever.

I mean, in the example. sudo -s should make you root until you exit the shell.

In any case, you have to make sure that you are in the admin group (in /etc/group file ). If you can't login as root (root login is disabled by default), use a live CD to boot and edit that file. If you are in that group in that file, yet groups doesn't return it, log out and log in again.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

Anyone know why i'm having trouble configuring my wireless network in Ubuntu? It's a fresh install on a Dell Latitude D420 laptop, and when I setup the wireless, I only have the option to connect using a WEP key.

I have an unsecured wireless network.

Just don't enter WEP key at all.

I assume, you are using Dapper or Edgy because Feisty has network-manager with a different interface.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Xinopay posted:

OK, I got a question: How can I activate my TV Out? I've understood that I'll need to use aticonfig with some parameter, but what? I'm in Norway, so my TV is PAL A/B. My graphics card is a Ati Mobility Radeon 9700, and I've connected it with S-video. Using Feisty Fawn...

I have no idea if there are any utilities that configure it in a more automated manner, however it should work if you add a second monitor and screen into /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Unless something changed since the time when it was written, you need to add

code:
Option "VideoOverlay"  
Option "OverlayOnCRTC2"
into the existing "Device" section for your screen, add another "Device" section:

code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Graphics Adapter connector 1"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection
(BusID should be the same as the first adapter)

and another "Screen" section:

code:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "ATI Graphics Adapter connector 1"
Monitor "Monitor1"
DefaultDepth 24
#Option "backingstore"

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "640x480"
ViewPort 0 0
EndSubsection
EndSection
and change "ServerLayout" section to include both screens:

code:
Screen "Screen0"
Screen "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
(assuming that your original screen is called "Screen0", and for the purposes of handling mouse pointer your TV is to the right from the main screen)

Very likely there is something that automatically generates this configuration now -- this is how the procedure looked in 2005.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Xinopay posted:

Yeah, I think that it's the 'aticonfig'-tool that'll do this for me, but I can't figure out the syntax for it. Not that I think it's THAT hard or complicated, it's just that there I so many options I can't figure out where to start...thanks anyway, I'll use your method if I can't figure it out somehow.
I have never used aticonfig, so I have no idea what syntax does it use.

quote:

Also, I read somewhere that S-Video isn't hot-swappable in Linux? Cause it surely is in Windows.
S-Video is analog, so it should be hot-swappable in everything.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

I have 7.04, which I believe is fiesty fawn?

The problem is, the ONLY options I have to choose from WEP hex, or WEP ascii, there are NO other options.
What you probably have is Edgy upgraded to Feisty, so it doesn't have Network Manager (should be visible as an applet in Notification area, and give you a list of networks on left click, options to enable and disable network and wireless on right click).

quote:

I might download an older version and try to install it.
This won't do you any good because what you have IS from an older version. Install Feisty from scratch, or manually install network manager and its applet, then remove entries from /etc/network/interfaces

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

I did install it from scratch. I downloaded the newest version from the ubuntu website. I'll look around to find out how to manually install the network manager, although I'm pretty sure I have the network manager now.

Do you have "nm-applet" process running?

code:
ps x |grep nm-applet | grep -v grep
should return one line with nm-applet process.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

Returned with
code:
5584 ?            S      0:00 nm-applet --sm-disable

If so, you should see network manager icon in notification area. If you click on it, does it show available network interfaces and wireless networks, or the only entry is "Manual configuration"? What does it show (and what items are checked) on right click?

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

fatcat posted:

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on a Thinkpad T43 with an ATI X300 video card, and I'm trying to use my S-video port to display video on my TV. It works, but it doesn't work perfectly. I want my screen to stretch on to my TV rather than mirror, but it only stretches at the GDM login screen. Once I login, it switches to mirroring. This is very annoying. Anyone know how I might fix it?

Enable Xinerama.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

manual configuration. When I try to setup my wireless network manually, it asks for

Network Name (ESSID): linksys
Password type: (WEP key hexadecimal OR WEP key ascii) I ONLY have the two options listed here for the two WEP keys. That is is, nothing for any other type of encryption, and nothing to select unsecure wireless network. My network is UNSECURED (yes, yes I know. it shouldn't be)
Network password: blank

And then I have my IP settings all setup (the access point leases out three IP addresses, I have tries to set up DHCP and manual)

When I click the icon in the corner, all I have are options for wired connection, and manual configuration. Wired is greyed out. (not plugged in)

This happens because /etc/network/interfaces contains your wireless interface. I don't remember if it is sufficient to disable it in manual configuration, or you have to manually remove it from that file, but Network Manager only handles interfaces that ARE NOT IN THAT FILE.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

well, I cleared out that file with sudo gedit, however, I setup a connection to a new wireless network via the network manager and setup the ssid as linksys and encryption none.

However, it never actually connected, it said my connection was 0% signal. My Wii and windows xp laptop can connect just fine. I will have to tinker with this in the morning because I am tired now and time to go to sleep.
So it is visible in Network Manager, but it shows 0% signal in the list, and you can't connect to it?

Or do you use manual configuration of connection (why?) and if so, do you by any chance configure an Ad-Hoc (peer to peer) wireless network instead of Managed (access point-based) one? If everything is working properly, Network Manager should show access point in the list of wireless networks, and you should be able to just select it.

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

fatcat posted:

Well that did work, but now X just treats my two screens as one, which introduces some new problems. I guess my real question is, is there any way to get dual screens in Linux to act pretty much identical to dual screens in Windows? It seems like GDM before I enable Xinerama is close, but of course I can't correctly use that configuration in anything but GDM.

My reason for this is because I want to be able to watch fullscreen MLB.tv video on my TV while doing other stuff on my laptop (and the fact that MLB.tv, a subscription service that lets you watch every MLB game and uses WMP functionality, works under VLC in Linux is amazing to me). If Xinerama is the best that you can get, then I guess I'll have to deal with it.

When I have to use similar configuration (one screen for most of applications, one screen almost exclusively for media players), I just disable Xinerama and run media player on the second screen. If you want to be able to launch it from the first screen, add a launcher button, and configure your program to run on the second screen. For example,
code:
firefox -P TV --display=:0.1 http://www.youtube.com
runs a separate copy of Firefox on the second monitor in a non-Xinerama configuration, completely separate from the main desktop (you have to configure "TV" profile on the first launch so it will have whatever defaults you want for it, without main desktop affecting it).

Media players can run in a similar way:

GXine:
code:
gxine -f --display=:0.1
Xine (this is a generic way of running X applications):
code:
sh -c "DISPLAY=:0.1 xine -f"
I believe, VLC can use the same command line as Xine, and also uses -f for fullscreen (compiling it now to check)
Edit: I was right, VLC:
code:
sh -c "DISPLAY=:0.1 vlc -f"
Personally I use an even more TV-like setup -- on X session startup I run
code:
xterm -display :0.1 -T Remote -g 25x1-0+130 -e restart-irexec
/usr/bin/restart-irexec (executable) is:
code:
#!/bin/sh
killall irexec 2>/dev/null
exec irexec
/usr/bin/launch-mythtv (also executable) is:
code:
#!/bin/sh
if \
ls -l /proc/[0-9]*/exe 2>/dev/null | grep ' -> ' | sed -r 's/^(.+ +)+\/proc\/[0-9]+\/exe -> //' | \
grep mythfrontend > /dev/null
then
 killall mythfrontend xine >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
# xscreensaver -nosplash 2>/dev/null &
 clear
 echo -n "MythTV frontend: OFF"
else
# xscreensaver-command -deactivate 2>/dev/null
# xscreensaver-command -exit 2>/dev/null
 mythfrontend >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &
 clear
 echo -n "MythTV frontend: ON"
fi
and my .lircrc contains:
code:
begin
        button = Power
        prog = irexec
        repeat = 0
        config = launch-mythtv
end
With MythTV and lirc installed (and .lircrc containing various commands for MythTV and Xine) it allows me to control everything with a remote. Really, there are all kinds of scripting possibilities for a setup like that.

teapot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 9, 2007

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

I use manual connection because I don't have DHCP turned on on my router, however, my wireless access point has it turned on, so my two wireless devices are easy to setup. I want the wireless network set up to a static IP address, however, the computer won't even see the wireless network, or connect to it.

When I try to set it up manually, I cannot setup an unsecured wireless network. I can only select that when I setup the wireless to be in roaming mode.
What exactly do you see when you configure it as unsecured (with no WEP key)?

quote:

Even still, when I try to connect to a wireless network, and I type in my essid, it will not connect, it says I have 0% signal.

I ran iwconfig from the terminal, and I got this

lo no wireless connection
eth0 no wireless conenction
eth1 IEEE 802.11b/g ESSID:off/any Nickname: "Broadcom 4311"
mode:Managed Access Point: Invalid
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
And then everything else is link quality 0, signal level/noise level -256 and all the rest are 0.

Does it work if you say:
code:
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid "whatever-essid-you-have"
on the command line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teapot
Dec 27, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Kantaris posted:

interface: Wireless ethernet (eth1)
speed: unknown
driver: bcm43xx

Everything else is listed as 0.0.0.0

When I typed that command in the terminal, iwconfig just lists the same thing as before, but it has an essid in it now. I have DHCP on on my wireless, and I am getting nothinng.

THe wireless works, every other device can connect to it no problem.

actually, my AP has a SSID listed, but not an Essid. I assume they're the same thing?

They may or may not be the same. Are you sure, your access point is actually in access point mode? And not, say, configured as an ad-hoc wireless network? You can change the mode to ad-hoc, and if it will connect to your network, you have for some reason configured access point to use ad-hoc network.