Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

hooah posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Was it running when I put the command into the terminal? No. Is it running on startup? No. Unless it runs in the background that I'm not aware of.

Try:
code:
ps -ef | grep nautilus
You should see:
code:
[joshua@jupiter ~]$ ps -ef | grep nautilus
joshua    9569  9540  0 08:20 pts/0    00:00:00 grep naut
joshua   24742     1  0 Oct22 ?        00:00:16 nautilus --no-default-window --sm-client-id default3
[joshua@jupiter ~]$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Gvaz posted:

is there any linux program that saves in .doc or something that isnt OO or am i gonna have to be stuck to .rtf files?
Google Docs.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

teapot posted:

What are the chances that it doesn't use the same backend when dealing with Microsoft formats? It's not like anyone can ask Microsoft for a Word file parser that will be used for a free online service.
I'm not saying it's the best solution, but in a pinch it should work. A document with simple formatting should work fine.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

fletcher posted:

how do I make every file in a directory readable by any user on the system?
code:
chmod -R o+r /path/to/dir
You should probably ask yourself why you want to do this, it isn't good practice.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

teapot posted:

Why? Most of files on a typical system outside of users' homes are world-readable -- exceptions are authentication tokens, mail and databases, for obvious reasons.
He didn't specify what directory/files he wanted to do this to. If someone needs to ask about changing simple permissions then they probably are not very comfortable with the operating system. I tend to err on the side of caution.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

TheChipmunk posted:

I see. What do I need to do in order to fix this?

I'm pretty sure sshd is not installed with Ubuntu by default. Open up Synaptic and search for openssh-server. Once it's installed you shouldn't have to configure anything, unless you want to set up security, keys, etc.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

What type of router do you have CHEF!!!? A SOHO router might be able to handle this. For example, DD-WRT and DNSMasq would work for this (I have no idea if stock Linksys/Buffalo, etc. firmware can do DNSMasq). You can set the router to be the DHCP server, have it use DNSMasq and set up static mappings on the router. This way it only has to be managed in one place. In a nutshell, DNSMasq on the router will serve your static list of hosts to the resolvers on the machines in the network.

Of course this is all useless if you are in an environment that can't support it.

Edit: A not elegant solution would be to configure the hosts file on all machines with the proper mappings.

jdonz fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 22, 2008

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

er0k posted:

any other suggestions then? I tried using tee instead of echo, tried using xargs with find as well, I can't get anything to work :(

Probably a bad idea, but:
code:
updatedb
for i in $( locate publish.php ); do
echo "<? include('path/to/file.php'); ?>" >> $i
done
Not tested, try at your own risk.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Is there some sort of setting by default in openssh that doesnt let machines from different subnets connect?

I have an ubuntu box that I use for imaging computers set up at work, and I have port 22 open on the firewall and pointing at the ubuntu box, but nothing can connect from the outside.

I am running denyhosts as well.

openssh-server is not installed by default on Ubuntu. Use Synaptic or Aptitude to install it.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

It is installed, I can ssh to the box from the local subnet just fine.

Can you check the firewall to make sure you are hitting the right ACL?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

epswing posted:

Ubuntu 8.10.
All the same error:
code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //mynas/afolder,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
I'm coming from Windows XP. I want to "map a networked drive". Am I on the right track here?

Pretty sure you need to install the samba client. mount wont recognize the -t smbfs unless you have the client installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

How about samba-common?