Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Hey guys I have a laptop with a totally hosed video card. It will boot past the BIOS and start to load windows, but then I can't do anything because I can't make out what's on the screen. I was wondering if I could maybe put it to some use but I'm not sure how I would install Linux on it if I can't make out the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Stick the HD in a destkop or another laptop (or a caddy, and install to that) and then after you install Linux, put it back in the laptop.

:doh: God drat it, why didn't I think of this. This is the easiest solution by far. I forget that you can do it in Linux and it won't bitch about changed hardware. :)

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Yeah one caveat is that udev will remember the mac address for eth0 and when you boot it into another computer it will make the network card eth0.

To remediate this empty the file /etc/udev.rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules (I'm writing this from memory so the filename may be off)

Thanks for the tip, she's alive!

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
So installing ubuntu server on that computer worked great. I'm surprised it went so smoothly. Anyways I just wanted to update you guys with a picture of how the screen looks.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Longinus00 posted:

Didn't you say the screen was messed up in windows? It's probably a hardware fault and I recommend closing the lid and never opening it up again.

No, read my post again. The screen looks like that as soon as it POSTS. It is a hardware fault, I burned out the video card playing WoW back when I was still in uni.

I've had it sitting in my closet for almost 2 and a half years. When my wife saw last week she said I could either fix it or throw it out. It's just that it's completely unusable in Windows, so I figured I could make it into a headless Linux server. At least in Linux I can sorta make out the words in the console, despite the terrible color.

But all of that doesn't matter since I just SSH into it from my PC. I won't be using it as a laptop anymore, it's just going to sit under my router for now. I'll try the kernel VESA options and see if it helps, but I doubt it will since it's like that even in the BIOS.

Janitor Prime fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 2, 2011

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Crush posted:

I'm playing with linux again. Last time was a few years ago and it was mostly with Ubuntu. Now I am using CentOS and am learning a little bit about SELinux. What is the point of this and will it do any harm to just disable it altogether since it is giving me issues with vsftpd?

No, loving get rid of it.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
utorrent does keep them by default in your User\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent folder.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Wagonburner posted:

Still you all have got me thinking about security and logging in with a key. How does logging in with a key work day to day in the real world? I'll need the key on my android since I use ssh there (busybox and connectbot) I guess any new PC I want to ssh from I'd just copy the key from my phone to the pc? Or do you all use box.com or dropbox or something? In that case your key's only as strong as your dropbox pw right?

Here's how it works in Windows on a day to day basis. You open your key file ONCE using pageant (included with the full PuTTY install) and from then on whenever you try to connect to a machine pageant will go down the list of its open keys until one of them works or they all fail. I think it's the best of both worlds, you get a secure connection using your private key with a password and none of the hassle of having to type it in each time you want to connect.

Typical warnings about losing the machine while the keys are open, and blah, blah, blah, but at that point for me it's just :effort:.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
What does purchasing RHEL support get me? I need to consider if I should purchase licenses for an upcoming project. The person who will be supporting this thing will most likely be me and I'm not sold on the idea of purchasing RHEL licenses for each server.

I understand that they are there to help in those Oh poo poo moments, but from your experiences have they actually helped you resolve the issues you were having or were they just a clueless help desk jockey?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Try this:
code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8080
This will forward requests on port 80 to your app on port 8080.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Two things:

First you need to add your ports that you're redirecting to like so:
code:
-A TCP -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8000 -j ACCEPT
-A TCP -p tcp -m tcp --dport 8433 -j ACCEPT
Btw I think port 8433 is a typo, shouldn't it be 8443?

And second anything going over the loopback interface will not use your port forwarding rules, so when running an app on localhost you'll always have to reference it's real port http://localhost:8000 instead. It's lovely, but that's the drawback of not running your webserver on port 80 and 443 :(

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

telcoM posted:

The PREROUTING chain is only applied to traffic that is actually incoming from the network.
You might have seen a diagram like this: http://danielmiessler.com/images/DM_NF.PNG

What the diagram doesn't show is that the loopback interface is a special case: it is a shortcut directly from the OUTPUT chain to the INPUT chain in that diagram.

In order to redirect any traffic going through the loopback interface to a different port, you'll need to add a NAT rule to the OUTPUT chain. evol262 already posted the command for port 443 -> 8443 for you. For 80 -> 8000, just change the port numbers in the command.

Neat, I didn't know about the OUTPUT chain.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Speaking of enormous log files: .xsession-errors. Applications that zealously log tiny minutiae of their operations can grow that file to literally hundreds of GB, and the first instinct is naturally to rm it, leaving you with a deleted-but-still-open file.

I usually do a
code:
cat /dev/null > to bad file
Am I correct in my belief that this will zero out the file and reclaim the space in all circumstances?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

nescience posted:

I'm trying to Google tutorials for setting up a private CA so my browser/computers will stop freaking out when I use self signed certs, I'm having trouble finding a thorough one, can anyone help?

Try these out to configure your openssl.cnf
https://jamielinux.com/blog/category/CA/
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~zmiller/ca-howto/

Then to make it even easier I use this Makefile so that when I copy the .csr files I can just type
code:
make sign
and have a signed cert without having to remember all of the openssl voodoo.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Go check the security fuckup thread in yospos for some docker hilarity. It's the wave of the future no doubt but someone is going to do it better

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
idgi :confused: can you explain the joke to me

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Cidrick posted:

Someone's malformed ansible script symlinked /bin/true to /sbin/reboot

Ergo any script or cronjob on the machine that invoked /bin/true would reboot the box

lmao

I was having a hard time coming up with how that /bin/true command fit into the reboot

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

SnatchRabbit posted:

I believe I chmoded to 600 on the pem files. don't remember if I did /,ssh. SSH complained abotu permissions at first but after I made the change it gave me the public key error

I'd try loading it explicitly with ssh -vvv -i ~.ssh/key.pem aws.server.com and check to see what the verbose logging tells you

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Well the Cisco thing isn't something controlled by our IT department, it's something our very bullshit customer uses, and we have to use it to access their internal website. Our own VPN is very nice and well-behaved.

Exactly, hell is other people's VPN software :(

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

I’ve never had to write code in a terminal, edit configs sure, but just the basics of Vi :wq and /search will get the job done.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Most programs don’t need access to the UI, so the programs run through cron by default have no UI. That command enables it and then runs Steam which does require it.

When you run commands through the terminal, they all have access to the display since your running in it, that’s why it worked in your terminal.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
I just ran into something similar yesterday and it was because my router was setting the ipv6 dns servers. And that was getting added first in resolv.conf.

It took me a while to find the cause and then figure out how to setup the pihole correctly.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
I had a weird issue where my poo poo router was advertising an ipv6 resolver that would override the one sent from my dhcp server.

Check to see what your /etc/resolv.conf shows when it happens and if it’s changing periodically

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Saukkis posted:

By default they are concatenated. Extents from 1 to X are on first drive, extents from X+1 to Y are on the second drive, and so on. But it is possible to create a logical volume with built in RAID, 'man lvmraid'. You can use 'lvdisplay --maps' to show how the extents are located in different drives. In theory only the data on the failed drive is lost, but that requires that an intact file system tab or superblock can be found on the remaining drives, and the files aren't fragmented over several drives.

I don't recommend lvmraid for anything more than RAID0 or RAID1, it supposed to support raid5 and 6 but the tooling around it sucks and trying to get it grow or expand the array was frustrating. I ended up just using mdadm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Quixzlizx posted:

1. Apparently Plex isn't in the Ubuntu repositories, and the instructions I googled to install it as a deb file were a complete mess. Luckily, it's also available as a snap, so that was easy.

I know you got it working with Snap, but I just wanted to mention that I stopped trying to deal with installing any server daemons using my distributions repositories and have switched everything to Docker. Docker is basically a tiny VM that just has the application you want and its dependencies installed. Someone has already gone through the trouble of making a docker image for Plex that you can use and it just works out of the box. https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex

Once you figure out the right config values, like mounting your shared directories and user/group pids, there isn't a lot more you need to do to get it maintained. I use docker-compose which lets you save the configs in a simple way and then created a systemd unit like the one Volguus to have it startup and shutdown with the server. I also have the docker-compose versioned in git, so I can restore everything in case I decide to blow away the server or start over from scratch. Another benefit is that it doesn't matter if you switch distros in the future, the docker file will not change.

code:
[Unit]
Description=Docker-Compose set of services
Requires=docker.service
After=docker.service

[Service]
Restart=always
RestartSec=30
ExecStart=/usr/bin/docker-compose -f /home/user/code/docker_compose/plex.yml -p plex up --force-recreate
ExecStop=/usr/bin/docker-compose -f /home/user/code/docker_compose/plex.yml -p plex down

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target