Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Upgraded my linux server from ubuntu server 6.10 to the latest and it seems to have eaten one of my drives. It shows up when the machine POSTS and in the BIOS but ubuntu doesn't want to see it anymore.

I have four HD's in the machine, 2 x ide and 2 x sata and it's one of the IDE drives that has gone missing.

The three drives that are working are:
/dev/sda1
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc1

There are no hdx devices listed in /dev and the sdx devices are:
sda sda1 sdb sdb1 sdc sdc1 sdc2 sdc5

I've tried mounting them all in fstab and manually but can't seem to find which is my missing IDE drive.

It's probably something simple, but I'm stumped. If there's any other info that can help I'll provide it. Cheers in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
After upgrading my ubuntu server from 6.06 to Feisty I'm getting really slow samba response from my server share drives. I have them mounted in /etc/fstab and it was working fine before the upgrade. Works slow on a windows box copying to/from and also xbox media center won't even stream most of the time, which is frustrating.

Any ideas? Other things I can provide to help diagnose the problem?

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
For anyone looking for a good SATA card that works great in linux I would suggest the promise range of cards:
http://www.promise.com/product/product_detail_eng.asp?segment=Non-RAID%20HBAs&product_id=139

I tried a few before I found this and it works great, no drivers needed.