Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If you are feeling too lazy to install Arch , give something like ArchBang a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

JoeMB posted:

Right now I'm running the latest Nvidia proprietary drivers and it's working but I'm wanting to reinstall and there only seems to be option for open source drivers. So is there anyway for me to be able to download the Nvidia proprietary drivers for the installation process so I can actually reinstall.

I had a similar problem last year, I got around the issue by just using my onboard Intel graphics for the install and then fixing my graphics card problem post installation.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 20, 2014

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

You know the real reason I stick mostly with Mint? GRUBS auto-boots to Linux after a just a few seconds and I'm too busy getting a beer out of the fridge.

You can set the grub timer to what ever you want.

Danny Glands posted:

For users of Arch: How do I make xdm work properly and not just dump me back into xdm when I enter my login?

Xdm will check .xsession on login, .xsession will point to .xinitrc which is where you have whatever dm you want to exec, eg exec gnome-session, exec startkde etc etc

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 24, 2014

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

evol262 posted:

Arch is focused towards people who have more time than sense, and who feel like dealing with an unstable distro that has almost no QE which they constantly need to tinker with to keep it working makes them "power users".

I see this a lot and was expecting it when I first tried arch out of curiosity. After using it as my main distro now for 3 years I kinda feel it's reputation for being unstable and difficult/time consuming to maintain a load of poo poo.

Only it's initial install lives up to anything like it's reputation and even that can be automated with a script or just by installing one of the many arch distros like arch bang on Antergos.

(I certainly will agree with the sentiment about many arch users though, it's almost a hipster mentality with a lot of them)

Liam Emsa posted:

Okay, so I know very little about Linux. So should I stick with Ubuntu?

If you like Ubuntu and it does everything you want it to then just stay with it. Arch is more light weight sure but on modern systems that really doesnt matter and it can be kind of nice just having everything you want already preinstalled.

There really is no 'best distro' just different strokes for different folks.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2014

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you have your own server to host it then owncloud is a decent alternative.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Celexi posted:

i just tried fedora's 21 gnome-wayland and its quite nice, runs much better and smoother than xorg

Only issue I've found is it seems trackpads are broken with it :(

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

nosl posted:

even with synaptics drivers?

Yeah, it works for the most part but spazes out sometimes, the cursor will also vanish in some windows. Also just discovered logging out freezes my laptop so back to x I go. Still overall very impressive, I'll probably give it another go with Fedora 22.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 16, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Celexi posted:

i switched from using debian/mint/ubuntu to fedora and it is amazing how everything just works, whereabouts in those other 3 there would be hours of changing things

Yeah I've really been impressed with fedora 21. It's certainly been the smoothest setup I've had for a long time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

I have no idea what it was, but it fixed itself a few hours after I posted this. Download speeds are normal now.

Tuesday is the day steam do maintenance. It was probably just that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Does suse have a similar set up in terms of its interaction with opensuse?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ProfessorBooty posted:

I think I might just go nuts and have three drives, either 1 SSD that has two partitions, or 2 separate SSDs, and one common HDD. I might go with the latter just because I can, and also I don't want to think about exactly how much space each partition should have while also maintaining the extra 20%. I'm bad at planning such things and I've had to repartition before. It sucks. I don't want to boot-select using the bios if I can avoid it (I would prefer grub if possible) - are there any good resources for idiot dummies that detail how this would be done?

It's what I recently did. I got sick of fighting windows, it hates being moved and resized and with Windows 10 round the corner I thought I'd just avoid the headache and give it it's own SSD. If you have the spare cash I would recommend it, especially with an SSD where space is more limited, Windows has a habit of ballooning over time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Crack posted:

Distro preference questions

Gnome is more 'slick and polished' while kde is more feature rich and customisable but some would say bloated. It's down to personal preference.

I personally use 2 different linux distributions and use both kde and gnome. Fedora on my laptop and opensuse on my desktop.

Fedora is my current favourite, I really like gnome and feel it's a great environment for smaller screen space. 22 is really well polished and I'm excited where the distro goes over the next few versions.

So why don't I use it on my desktop? One reason, I have an amd GPU and at present getting the propriety drivers to work in fedora is a huge pain. On opensuse it's a one click install. Opensuse is a great distro, best kde experience I've found, although I do have a few complaints on how they do some things in th3 backend, it feels less unified and driven than fedora.

I'd suggest you just make live images of both and play around in each for an hour or so.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 7, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

edit

Never mind, figured out the solution.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 8, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

program666 posted:

I wonder if spotify even have half of the stuff I listen to like the Fading Captain Series by Robert Pollard or Josephine Foster. Or new obscure stuff like the 3 album re-release of Filth by the Swans that I just bought.

A quick search shows all of those to be on there. Spotify had some pretty obscure stuff on it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ProfessorBooty posted:

That's the plan.

So this whole thing is being a complete bitch. I can give details, or I can ask if someone is available on IRC to help.

Some installers are better than others. One possible solution to simplify things is to unplug all drives except the one you want linux on. Install like normal (you can just do recommended settings then without worrying about it overwriting something it shouldn't) then replug the other drives in, point your bios to boot the linux drive first and then run sudo update-grub. Grub will see the windows partition and next time you boot you will be given the option to boot windows or linux.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

program666 posted:

I tried spotify and as I feared there are basically no a single album by joanna newson, the remastered Filth album recently released by the swans is also not there, and, contrary to what people said, I can't upload my own music. Basically everything you guys said would be ok was completely wrong, and every suspicion I had that the service would be worthless to me was right. I guess I got owned hard here lol, unless I'm not looking in the right place but it doesn't seem like it. Holy poo poo.

Edit: oh ok, it seems that I might be able to sync my music among devices on my own network, that might be enough

Edit2: it doesn't sync between devices if the song doesn't exist in spotify itself lol, this is just as bad as I thought, dude, I got OWNED, congrats

Edit3: it seems that the functionality of syncing between devices is just kind of bugged, maybe it was the spotify version I got from the gentoo repository, idk, it's working fine now. Thanks guys

How did you get owned? People took the time to try and help you out, if your tried the suggestions and it doesn't suit your needs that's fine but no reason to act all indignant.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Don't understand all the gnome hate. It's been great for the last year for me

Personally I use fedora on my laptop and Ubuntu on my desktop. I don't actually like Ubuntu much but I want access to the proprietary amd drivers and they always seem to break on any other distro I try.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The_Franz posted:

That won't be a deciding factor for much longer.

Yeah I just read that today. Sadly my card is of the older generation so isn't supported by amdgpu. I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my GPU though, this might be it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

I got rid of Fedora, installed Ubuntu, and got fglrx working with basically two clicks :psyduck:
Bit late but Keep in mind the fglrx wont work with Ubuntu 16.04 so you're going to have to either not upgrade or change distro again when that drops.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

everythingWasBees posted:

So my Arch installation is up and running, I fixed all the weird laptop driver issues, got KDE set up, and everything's fine and dandy; I'm actually using it more than Windows on the same machine. However, sometimes I've noticed that when I'm using Windows and restart to go into Arch, it just launches into a black screen and I have to force shutdown. Has this happened with anybody else dual booting?

Are you dual booting off the same hard drive? Windows has a habit of not 'releasing' a drive unless you do a cold boot, so likely arch is trying to mount the drive and windows won't let it.

I'd recommend you just getting a 2nd drive for each OS, it saves a lot of aggro.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Kassad posted:

Do you know if splitting a SSD between Windows 10 and Ubuntu would make the same thing happen? That is, if I don't do a cold boot to go back to Ubuntu after using Windows, might it stop Ubuntu from booting altogether? I'm about to change my computer's motherboard and CPU, so I'm gonna reinstall everything while I'm at it. I'm only going to use Windows to play some games that don't run on Linux, so I won't share any other hard drive between the two OSes or use hibernation. Getting a second SSD just for Windows isn't an option for me.

Yeah same thing will likely happen. There are suggested ways to solve it such as turning off windows quick boot and the like but none if them worked for me personally.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Marinmo posted:

Sometimes I play games and poo poo. Currently I have a GTX 670 which does okay. I'm considering a RX480 because they're cheap and I am too. Last time I heard anything about AMD on Linux was back in the paleolithic era when they decided to open source their drivers, so how are they doing today? I'm looking for a hassle-free approach here because I don't want to waste time on managing drivers, and say what you will about the binary blobs-approach but it sure is convenient. Are AMD cards plug-and-play? Do they come with bells and whistles because kernel devs love them?

Everything is in a weird position atm. The new AMDGPU-PRO drivers are hassle free but some games don't work with them yet and while the 1060 and 480 are neck and neck on windows, the 1060 cleanly beats the 480 on linux if you use the NVIDIA propriety drivers (but the nvidia FOSS drivers are poor). That being said the propriety drivers for NVIDIA can be a pain in the arse to install and maintain on some distros so it comes down to how strongly you feel about FOSS and the sort of games you want to play. If you want plug and play/FOSS and don't mind performance being a bit ropey as the drivers continue to mature go AMD, if you want pure FPS for $ and don't mind a bit of hassle go Nvidia.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 26, 2017

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've tried most of them I just use gnome. It does what I want and looks pretty nice.

I keep trying to get i3 setup but I always run into an issue with some program hating it and end up just going back to gnome. I love the idea but I can't be bothered to fix the issues and gnome just works.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Can any flavor of Linux do adaptive sync on Intel Integrated Graphics currently? I saw some articles mentioning Intel was planning to enable it for 11th series CPUs which is what I have. I'm streaming from a headless desktop to this 4K OLED Ubuntu laptop but I currently have to choose between 3ms latency or 16ms with vsync on.

Haha I spent the last 5 days figuring this out.
SO! You want VRR support, first you need 5.12. Then you can use X11 but if you have more than one monitor it breaks it. Wayland supports multi monitor vrr in a handful of environments (kde 5.22+, gnome soon).
But! wayland forces vsync on at the moment and after months of bickering that "people who want to turn off vsync are wrong" the devs have finally lamented and are currently working on a way to turn it off.

So it seems to be the case that if the refresh rate dips outside of the vrr range then vsync will kick in and introduce input lag. Not ideal but the current solution I'm living with.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 3, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Argh, my brain...

If I have only a single monitor, I can just use Gnome with X11 with a kernel past 5.12 and I should be good to go (and it won't force Vsync) you're saying?

I had XFCE with X11 working with vrr and no vsync working with an AMD card and a freesync monitor.
I didn't stick with this as it required me to turn my other monitors off before hand, often id forget and turn them off then the resolution of the game would get hosed, it was a pain. But it did work.

I had to turn it on through /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf
code:
Section "Device"
     Identifier "AMD"
     Option "TearFree" "false"
     Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
     Driver "amdgpu"
EndSection
Tear free means vsync for whatever reason.

Nvidia has a slightly different route to doing the same thing.

Zero VGS posted:

What even is the VRR range? Since I'm using some arbitrary Samsung 4K OLED laptop panel that isn't necessarily free-sync certified, I'm wondering how it comes up with a VRR range, or if it falls back to Vsync if it can't come up with a range.

The VRR range depends on the monitor. On my LG for example the freesync works between 48-144hz, so if a can I cap the game at 144fps so it doesn't go above and vsync kick in (and tearing matters little at that high anyway)

Remember though you need a monitor that supports it too, it won't work with anything. Freesync and gsync are the big two labels but now VRR is becoming a standard going forward in tvs and monitors etc.

And even then you can have a vrr monitor but still not work because your using the wrong type of cable.
Display port 1.4+ (gsync /Freesync) or the new hdmi 2.1(vrr)
And no for whatever reason most cables don't print this number on the actual cable for reasons.

quote:

It would be great if there was some app to get insight into what in the hell is actually happening and what choices are being made.
The closest I have found is VRRTest, But even then your just playing with lines and eye balling for tearing.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 3, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

FUUUCK!

I'm migrating my torrent downloading to my Plex server. I'm remoting in with windows RDP. The server accesses media that's on my synology, and works perfectly. The issue is that qbittorrent can't write to the SMB share on the synology. I've figured out that neither can the file browser (Caja?) unless I run it as root. I attempted to set permissions with my fstab permissions file (uid=1000, gid=1000) but that didn't seem to work, I think the correct thing to do would be to mount the SMB shares in a user directory, but I'm not too excited about loving with my Plex database by changing the location. I said gently caress it, and I'll just manually run qbittorrent as root, but the software wont' start up when I try that!

code:
sudo qbittorrent
No protocol specified
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :10.0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

Aborted
I know I'm doing something stupid, what's the quickest way to get this going? I don't really care if it's hacky, or if I have to manually launch qbittorrent manually every time the server goes down. Thanks.

Can you open the smb directories at all from any machine and create/save files? I assume your torrenting machine is running Windows then as you are using smb?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

A lot of Linux-originating software is like this tbh. Does the bare minumum and makes no attempt at being friendly or intuitive to use. See also: git

Yet git somehow still manages to be better than any other system.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

I have been doing most of my gaming on linux for years. Most games work fine through steam, and most non-steam games run fine with lutris.

To add to this combo, take a look at Heroic game launcher
It's a drop in replacement for epic games launcher, works great.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

There are still distros where you have to add extra repos? I didn't even know that.
The real solution is to stop using those distros.

Fedora doesn't because their whole thing is pushing free and open source and it's part of their license. You just have to click a tick box to enable it though.

Rpmfusion you enable with a command line as its community driven and not official. I don't even have it enable at present though as flatpak has kind of replaced it.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 5, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

That doesn't make Gentoo bad though. It's a conscious design decision for its intended crusty audience.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've got a yubikey my old company gave me to trial. At first I loved the idea, I attached it to everything. Then it got annoying to go fetch my keys everytime I needed to log in so it slowly all got turned off.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

I have to auth so often it would drive me crazy. I can see using it as the key to my password vault tho.

it would end up just being left plugged into my computer and be effectively useless

Computer viking posted:

Keeping it on your keychain - or a retractable card holder, if you really want to look like a cyberpunk and/or dweeb - would sort of solve that. Plugged in while you're there, but unplugged when you leave the computer.

Of course, I could do that, but I don't. I guess it might become relevant if I start handling way more sensitive systems than I do today.

Basically yes. For work it's a great solution for 'something you have' problem of security as I don't like installing work stuff on my phone. But for personal use, I always have my phone with me anyway, so it doesn't really add much security over a 2fa app.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I think people forget that Windows didnt use to be much better either when it was a fresh install. Sometime in the mid 00s I did a fresh install of a laptop, the wifi didn't work and it had no ethernet port. So I had to boot into a live usb of ubuntu i had lying around, wifi worked instantly, download the windows driver onto another usb drive then reboot back into windows and install it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not a huge fan of how Fedora Workstation requires a reboot to install anything that's not a flatpack, at least through the gnome update manager.

Any reason I can't or shouldn't install updates via command line through rpm update instead since that doesn't require a reset?

You can turn it off. It's become default as technically it is safer to do it that way.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Vscode is genuinely pretty snappy vanilla. Just people don't seem to want to use it as a text editor and add 20+ extentions to it to make it more like an IDE. So why not just use an IDE at that point?

People are weird about their tools.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

minato posted:

vim reduces the friction between intention and action, so I can work faster. If I want to move a line of code up 2 lines then I move the cursor there, hit dd to delete the line and copy it to the buffer, kk to move up 2 lines, and p to paste. Done in less than a second (and without moving my hands off the keyboard) and then I'm onto the next thing.

Compare with a mouse-based IDE, where I'd (presumably) move my hand to the keyboard to the mouse, select the whole line, Ctrl-X, reposition the mouse at the start of the target, Ctrl-V, and then twiddle with any messed up newlines that were added/removed by mistake. Maybe 5 seconds if I'm fast.

All this extra time not only adds up, it just feels worse; I'm spending time aiming a cursor, not thinking about what I want to do next.

Install vsvim (or whatever your IDE of choice vim extention is called). Best of both worlds.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/kuschku/status/1450247425852125185
:eyepop:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I'm just kinda shocked Ubuntu would release knowing this is an existing bug...
Don't they delay releases?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Seems like the kind of thing you should delay a release for. Fedora delayed Workstation 42 for (at least) a week to fix lesser bugs.

Fedora 35 just got delayed and its all way way smaller stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Voodoo Cafe posted:

as much as it pains me to admit it because of how much i hate the name, fedora kinda rules

Haha I feel you. I genuinely think if they changed the name it's user base would increase. But zero chance of that happening.