Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets

RollerBob posted:

Will I be able to use the TV-Out on my RADEON X800XT in Ubuntu? This is the only thing holding me back to install it. I use the tv-out a lot, since I watch a lot of DVDs on my PC.

It's not Ubuntu's fault that ATI releases such lovely drivers, their linux drivers are basically a joke.
You should try it with a LiveCD maybe. One of the reasons I went with Nvidia is that they have useful, if closed source (but who cares except for the hardcore linux nerds) drivers and a functioning control panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rookieone
May 25, 2004

I'm wondering if there is a way to change the resolution of the kdm splashscreen where you enter your user credentials when logging in. For the moment it seems to be stuck at 800x600 but I would like to set it to 1280x1024 (native res of my LCD) ?
It's just a minor cosmetic detail but I'm wondering if there is a config file to edit or something.

kdmrc scares me BTW :words:

rookieone
May 25, 2004

I have a problem running Pure-FTPD here on my home connection and having my gf connect to it (yeah she know how to use FTP :3: )
Here's what I am running at the moment:
code:
pure-ftpd -S 28453 -c 5 -4 -A -b -B -c 5 -E -O clf:/var/log/pureftpd.log -R -u 1000
Of course I have forwarded the port 28453 to my internal IP address.

I can connect to it fine from my Dreamhost account with ftp, but *NOT* with mc nor ncftp. :psyduck:

My gf could connect to the server put not put anything on it (some problem with passive mode apparently)

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Oh don't suggest pro-ftpd I didn't get it :(

rookieone
May 25, 2004

I have a problem with netatalk not starting at boot. It's linked and should start at boot, however it's not up when I try to connect to the server. I can log in and start it up with /etc/init.d/netatalk start but that kinda defeats the purpose v :) v

I 'think' that it might be because the script takes an asslong time to start up (about a minute when I launch it by hand) but I don't have an idea how ubuntu handles scripts taking too long to start up at boot.

This is running a self-compiled version of netatalk (with encryption) and Kubuntu 7.04

Any ideas ?

rookieone
May 25, 2004

Crush posted:

Ever heard of Cube2/Sauerbraten?

They're fun even though they are pretty limited community/players wise. It's like a Quake1/Quake2 style quick online game. Graphics look good though and you always have to applaud their efforts for putting out a real crossplatform game.

But with Quake3 running in Linux without a problem (same counts for UT, its successors and all other Quake1/2/3 engine games) there isn't much sense in playing Cube/Sauerbraten games.

Actually there are quite a few deathmatch style games for linux out there if you look around a bit (say on linuxgaming etc.)

rookieone
May 25, 2004

I'm currently running some version of Kubuntu on my spare desktop PC that I only use as a file dump/SMB box/torrent&usenet machine and I was thinking about putting some kind of server distro on there because I don't need a GUI actually.

I want it to run SABNZBD, some torrent client (most likely Torrentflux but maybe Rtorrent&screen) and some other stuff like a DAAPD (for iTunes), SMB and AMP (which I'll need for Torrentflux anyway).

Will the latest Debian release be plenty enough or would I be better off going with the server version of Ubuntu ? I'm mostly concerned about the quality and choice in the official/semi-official repositories even though I somewhat know how to compile my own stuff should I need to.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

thanks for all the input guys.

I was indeed planning on going with Hardy because it has the LTS but there is no server-only CD out there as far as I know, so I'd have to wait until April for the official hardy release. I suppose I could just download the beta CD and do a server install though.

I know that I don't NEED to reinstall but I will be changing the HD for / and /home so I can just as well go with the latest and greatest. And since this machine isn't mission critical it's nice to be up-to-date all the time. The only thing I'm reluctant to install are the kernel revisions because I've been burnt more than once on those before.

How is torrentflux-b4rt as a Newsgroups client compared to SABNZBD+ ? Does it do all the Par, unrar and delete magic or will it only download stuff ? BTW I won't install SABNZBD from a script ever since that same moron on the Ubuntu forums you linked to decided to roll his own script (v1 so to speak) incorporating a mandatory theme with injected ads (it auto-updated itself at every reboot) as part of his script. YAY !

rookieone
May 25, 2004

Questions regarding LVM

I have a Linux file server and I want to rebuild it this weekend (update to Hardy mainly) while adding a new old harddisk (formerly in an external FW enclosure that needs a bigger disk for backing up my MacBook). That HD (80Gb) will house the main paritions (root and swap and home) so I can use my now badly unused main HD to increase the place for my media files.

I was wondering if I could use LVM to regroup my 5 or so partitions into one big file store so I don't have to worry about running out of space on my /movies partion while having tons of space left on my /music partition. Ideally I would like to regroup those partitions without having to format because I don't have any spare HDs to back stuff up to.
The plan is to have one big volume (logical) spanning 3 HDs and 5 or so partitions called /media with subfolders with the different types of media (pictures, music etc.)

How does LVM behave when one of the disks gives up the ghost ? does the whole group go bust or will only the data on that one disk be lost ? I know it's not really a great idea because there's no redundancy and I would be better off at least using RAID (LVM is just JBOD if I understood the principle right) but the comfort of having one big unified file store outweighs the risk of losing the date on there (nothing important or irreplacable is stored there exclusively without additional backups)

Bonus question: If the system goes bust (say the HD with the OS crashes or there is a bug forcing me to reinstall the OS) do I lose the data on the LVM or can I just "rebuild" it ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rookieone
May 25, 2004

EDIT: disregard, I'll just resize my /home to something way smaller (say 10Gb) and add the remaining free space to the Logical Volume

rookieone fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 11, 2008