Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Okay, I finally switched to Solaris.

Now, I have X11 and Compiz running, and that just fine, considering it's not goddamned Linux. However do I have a dual monitor setup, which requires me to activate TwinView to get Compiz running correctly. Dialog windows aren't shown in the middle of the screen with the default Gnome settings, aswell as windows maximize on a single screen instead of across.

But when Compiz is running, all of that goes away. Dialogs and new windows appear in the middle, means half on each screen, maximizing makes a window occupy both screens. That's stupid. How do I fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, recommend me a BitTorrent client that isn't Azureus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'll check these out. For one, it has to compile under Solaris. However "cross-platform" on most "Unix" applications just means "Needs to compile on these bazillion different Linux distros that are basically the same operating system but each haxored into kind of not". Since JDS on Solaris is pretty much Gnome, I'll go dick around with Deluge first.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've seen various screenshots of Linux installs, that run Calibri of Vista/Office, and that without a hitch. However when I try doing this, I have a very specific issue with the letter capital T, which is drawn almost into the next letter, while I don't see this on screenshots.

Does anyone have Calibri installed and can tell me how they got it working properly?

Also, I've compiled and installed the newest FreeType2, in the hope to make that error go away. I enabled all options for subpixel rendering and hinting in ftoptions.h, but that didn't do the trick.

Also, when the hinting stuff is enabled, setting Hinting to Full renders Truetype fonts kind of funny. Is that normal?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is it possible to selectively change/remove window borders in X11?

Basically, I'd like everything as it's supposed to be, except on the terminal window, where I want thin or no borders apart from the title bar.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Twiggy794 posted:

I don't believe so. Though (it's been a while since I've used it) I believe that Konsole has a feature to turn off borders entirely. If you're gung-ho and you use a pure WM like Fluxbox or Openbox, they typically have an option to turn off the WM for a specific window as well, but that's as close as I can think of to what you're asking.
Konsole probably requires various KDE libraries. KDE is a loving pain in the rear end to compile on Solaris :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jesus must like crappy window decoration then. :q:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm currently trying to compile Thunderbird for my system, because I need to do this to actually build goddamn Enigmail.

Anyhow, I downloaded the source of release 2.0.0.4, yet this build script requires CVS, to update exactly nothing, apart from downloading two Makefiles that for some reason weren't included. What's the loving point of this :psyduck: poo poo? I couldn't find an explanation for this anywhere.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Solaris Express.

And I don't see what a package manager has to do with it (it has one). There are no Enigmail plugins for Thunderbird 2.0 on Solaris x86. A plugin which is a binary module. I have to compile the whole Mozilla poo poo first, then install the Enigmail source and compile that. I don't get why this can't be done in JavaScript, XUL and whatever else, but there don't seem to be any other options to tie GnuPG into Thunderbird.

Anyway, why do I actually download a specific version source tarball, which is then incomplete and needs to fetch more poo poo via cvs (the Makefiles), if those files aren't expected to be changed, and then spends lots of time updating the source tree, resulting in exactly no updates.

As you can guess, I meanwhile aborted the whole deal, sticking with Evolution some more. I guess until someone releases some Solaris x86 plugins. However would I like to know what all this :psyduck: stuff is about. Back then, when I used to compile Firefox 1.0, I didn't have to deal with such nonsensical things.

--edit: spelink

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 21, 2007

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Protip: If you have a Nvidia card, avoid Xinerama like the plague and go with TwinView. Dropped my full screen video CPU usage of Xorg from 15% to 4%.

I set it to Xinerama some time ago to try to get something else working correctly, but only noticed today by chance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any of you guys already playing around with Compiz Fusion? Does any of you run into one of these two issues?

- Windows register only one direction of the mouse wheel, that is up, while compiz notices both directions (e.g. ALT-Scroll for transparency).
- Compiz doesn't acknowledge any settings changed with CCSM and Gconf backend plugin.

And maybe apart from that, does gtk-window-manager blow up with a lot of themes on your end, too? Which is weird, because with compiz 0.5.0 and Gnome 2.16 it worked fine, trying to run the decorator as it is on Gnome 2.18 starts the crashing, and it didn't change with the newest code I've checked out hours ago.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Noah posted:

Compiz Fusion runs pretty well for me. Did you fully remove compiz before you installed Compiz Fusion?
No, that's what caused problems with the mouse click. The old settings for the Zoom Desktop plugin made said plugin to gobble up the mouse events. Configuration was because I was telling Compiz to start with the wrong plugin (gconf instead of ccp).

Everything works fine now. Under Solaris no less. I love the Expo plugin.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've installed Ubuntu on a friends machine, because he wanted to try it out on the longterm. Everything seemed to work fine, until at some point, not sure when, it started to lock up regularily, and more often than not, failed to continue booting when Xorg was starting (I suppose also a lock up).

The thing is, thinking about it, it might have started at the point I tried to get that Speedtouch USB modem to work. So my question is, can a faulty USB driver/device freeze the system? If it was a kernel panic, I'd figure that the system would drop into text mode, but it just freezes under Xorg.

I didn't notice such an issue while hacking on the console in text mode, though I might not have spent enough time there to trigger it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Luckily, that guy's getting a wireless DSL router, soon, due to the IPTV crap he ordered. Let's just hope it is the modem. It requires ugly hacking in regards to extracting firmware from a download and dropping it somewhere into a folder so that Linux can upload it into the modem on boot. Sounds awfully not like a foolproof solution.

--edit: Also, does it suffice to create a simple RC script starting bash to get a login shell? Ubuntu only seems to fire up GDM and nothing else, unless I boot in the failsafe mode.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 18, 2007

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Another dumb question, how do I make Gnome change the location where it shows the emblems? Top right corner is meh.

RoundsToZero posted:

Try ctrl+alt+F1. ctrl+alt+F7 should switch back to X.
I know those combos. However there aren't login shells there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

RoundsToZero posted:

Do you have lines like the following in your inittab?
I have to check for these tonight.

RoundsToZero posted:

Also what do you mean by emblems? I'm no a Gnome user so I'm not familiar with that term but if you're talking about the system tray type applet, you should be able to move it around on a panel, or remove and re-add it on another panel.
Nah, it's user defined overlays (mini icons) over icons. Some Nautilus feature working via GnomeVFS I think. For instance, allows you to differ visually between different directories by slapping various other icons on the folder icons.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Col posted:

Toiletbrush, what happens when you switch, do you just get a blank screen?
All blank screens, apart from the first one, with remainders of the boot output. Any input is echoed on screen but has no effect.

Ah well, I'll see. We're first waiting for that wireless router. Apparently the telco wants to install it, due to IPTV and what's it, so we have to wait. No point in dicking around until we've identified what makes the system lock up. And figuring various things out without possible internet help is annoying.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Re: ATI

If I run Xgl without anything else, say Compiz, it still should display things like a normal X server, right?

I'm trying to get Compiz Fusion working on my friends computer, but either it whines about texture pixmap support or if I try the Xgl way, I get a garbled mess on screen. I still can make out where the windows would be.

AIGLX seems to be a no go, too. Complains about a lack of DRI. First stone in the way was that Ubuntu kept overwriting the kernel driver with its own old version every boot, thanks to that piece of poo poo idea called LRM that robbed my patience, and once I got it to load the correct version, I still didn't have DRI.

Running the latest Catalysts, on a Radeon 9550 though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

teapot posted:

In some cases I have seen compiz failing until being run with fglrx's own libGL:
code:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa compiz --replace
Hmmm, I have to try this.

One way or another, considering XGL is supposed to work with fglrx, I'm surprised that all it manages to show is a garbled mess, and that without compiz running.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Triple Tech posted:

So his group is always wrong. How and where do we correct this? If the answer involves checking the fourth field of the /etc/passwd, too late, it's the same as everyone else's in the group. Any ideas?

Edit: sorry it's a SunOS cms01-dc1 5.9 Generic_118558-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire
usermod -g groupie duder

--edit: Actually, nevermind. Strange issue.
--edit2: Actually, do it anyway. Maybe usermod modifies more than just passwd and group.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 31, 2007

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's now months that I'm not on Windows anymore, and my fingers are itching to dabble a bit around in fun coding again. Preferably would be to go with what I know already, that'd be DotNet. However it wouldn't make sense if it isn't really accepted on the platform. So, how popular or accepted is Mono in the Linux world?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's the best way to get ksh93 to collapse the home directory to a tilde in a prompt (it doesn't do that automagically)? My latest attempt is calling awk inline, but that's a bit heavy handed. I use the shell a lot, calling a tool each time I hit the enter key strikes me as stupid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is there something like screen for X11 apps? There are like two applications I'd like to survive through an Xorg crash.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Contero posted:

I've used windows all my life (except for one fateful day around 1995 when my mom brought home an SGI workstation running IRIX. That was my first computer :psyduck: ). I use SSH client to get onto our campus unix server and thats about all of my exposure to it. This year I've got a laptop and I'm determined to start programming in linux on it. I've got a few weeks before school starts so hopefully I'll get to the point where I'm comfortable programming on it before I start getting assignments due.
Just don't give up on the operating system. If you've used Windows all your life, you'll probably go through sort of withdrawal syndrome. At first, things are cool because everything is new and different, but shortly after you'll be all going "Argh, where's Windows, everything is easier there (more like because I'm used to it)!".

I had many excursions to BSD over the last few years and always went back due to this. Only the last attempt stuck, but also only because I just went ahead and copied all data over to the new filesystem, concatenated all the freed drives, as they've become available, into the disk pool, giving me no easy way back.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

teapot posted:

Actually Monad/PowerShell is not any more similar to unix shell than, say, C# is. It uses the same Windows COM-based interfaces as every other Windows scripting language.
Long time ago I've used Monad, but I'm pretty sure it's pure .NET, including its cmdlets.

They said that ksh was an inspiration for their scripting language, but actually trying to learn ksh and its intricacies, I see gently caress all similarity.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is it just me, or does The GIMP create an unnecessary amount of artifacting in JPEGs compared to e.g. Photoshop, when compressing to approx. the same file size?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

thenameseli posted:

Do you have any example images? This seems unlikely, as I would think JPEG encoding has become trivial in the 13 years it has been an ISO standard.
The most recent example, that set me off asking this:

http://images.tomservo.cc/desksep.jpg

This is a desktop screenshot. Check the artifacting around the icon labels. I've manually increased the sampling to 4:2:2 in the advanced settings. Quality slider set to 85 percent. I think for that motive, Photoshop would have yielded better results at 420kb target file size. To make them go away, I have to put the slider at 100%, and even then...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does anyone know what settings, locations and whatever else do influence the operation of Nautilus-open-terminal? Sometime ago I've installed a package theoretically unrelated to it and since then selecting Open Terminal in the context menu blows up Nautilus.

It's even stranger that it still blows up even though I've clean installed a newer version of my OS a few days, put my home directory on it and it still blows up. It works when logging in with a different account (well, root, whose home directory is virtually untouched, apart a few copies of files from /etc).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

teapot posted:

Nautilus takes its configuration from gconf, run gconf-editor and look if there is anything unusual there. Relevant options should be in /apps/nautilus and /desktop/gnome subtrees.
The exec value was set to nothing in /desktop/gnome/applications/terminal in my profile, while it said gnome-terminal in the root profile. I figured that it's that key from the source code I've just looked into. But said code substitutes gnome-terminal on an empty key, apparently that doesn't work. Filled the key, now it's fixed. Danka.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Using the command line myself, too. As far as NC clones go, I constantly try to get myself using them, but the file manager overlay bugs me a whole lot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ok, here's a different one. Am I understanding this right:

If I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, the runtime linker goes looking for things there first, before working the default paths? If so, were I to customize the base system without touching anything outside say /usr/local, e.g. a newer version of Freetype, I'd compile and install them into /usr/local and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly (for instance in .xprofile).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm running Gnome under Solaris, as supplied with the Solaris Express distro. When I've looked for an insertion point, first reference was .xprofile. Tried it and worked.

I want the changes to be limited to my regular account only and keep root virgin, otherwise I'd put it in /etc/profile.

The changes Sun introduces for the packages that go with SXCE change a lot of things anyway, since Gnome has to work with cde-login, and CDE with GDM, and everything has to work via SMF. They've tampered with the whole X init process as far as I know. Vanilla Linux guides of changing various things related to X, GDM and such don't always work.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Topic sound servers: Are there advantages in using one for local use?

There's ESD with Gnome, but let's ignore that because it is said to be crap. I've Pulseaudio compiled here, which can substitute for ESD. The only advantage I can see and figure out here is having my Linux zone use my audio hardware (kindof) directly, e.g. with Skype, without the soundcard emulation of the branded zone.

Also, OpenGL via X11 forwarding works fine. How about things like Xv video?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Installing CentOS5, can you do that straight from the LiveCD (like Ubuntu) or just the first CD of the full distro? I need to create a system archive off it to get a base system, but don't really want to download worth a whole DVD.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Zuph posted:

Photoshop CS2 works fine in Wine. The Gimp is a reasonably good replacement for Photoshop, depending on what you're doing.
As long you don't rely a lot on layer editing, GIMP should be fine.

Also, how did you get Photoshop to activate? When I run it after activation, some thread responsible for checking the license deadlocks. When I hit CTRL-C in the console where I started Wine, it aborts the thread and Photoshop greets me with the usual error if the licensing stuff broke.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

teapot posted:

Layers in Gimp look fine for me.
The size of a layers in Gimp is defined upon layer creation. Photoshop's layers resize automatically.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Random question:

Is it possible that different compiler versions may just break applications in non-obvious ways?

I've compiled WINE with gcc 3.4.3 and while simple Windows applications work, for instance trying to get a game working (EVE), just results in WINE exiting with code 255 and no output.

Applying some recommended CFLAGS actually breaks the compilation, too.

I'm compiling gcc 4.2.2 now, though it's unsupported, since it supposedly introduces various bugs in applications compiled for Solaris.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose it would apply to both, since gcc would do the same potential gently caress up on both systems.

As for the compile breakage, it appeared that it was a name collision thanks to some human being that couldn't be bothered to hold the shift key when specifying some CFLAGS in the spec file (-Dpic instead of -DPIC).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I want to debug some random project at source code level, I set CC="gcc -g -O", compile everything and hope gdb finds the source files, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Can anyone quickly explain to me what sort of code gcc generates, when I'm not setting -march? I suppose it assumes -march=generic in that case.

I'm asking because I was trying setting it for fun (-march=athlon64). The result was a libfreetype2 that was 520KB instead of 1.7MB. Like what the hell? :psyduck: