Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You want to make a protocol handler for hxxp (copy it from https) in the registry and point it at a script that modifies the url and launches the browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

peepsalot posted:

OK, sounds good.

Totally unrelated question, and I know its absurd but anyone know of a decent GUI based text editor(i.e. don't want vim/emacs) that can gracefully handle absolutely massive text files?
Like... tens of gigabytes, and/or larger than all the RAM on my machine?

I used UltraEdit back in the day for this, there is probably something free now with disk mode.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

namlosh posted:

What would people recommend for the base host o/s for a machine I’m going to want to run a bunch of virtual machines and docker containers on at home.

It would be an old laptop with a lot of ram connected via Ethernet and I’m assuming kvm/qemu would be a good virtual machine runtime/micro-kernel no matter what the o/s is?

I want to bridge all of the machines as if they were on the LAN. Even the docker containers will be using macvlan.

Does it matter much? Or should I just throw Ubuntu server LTS on it and call it a day?

It shouldn't matter much, I'm using fedora for that because my work is redhat shop, just depends if you like debian/ubuntu or redhat/centos/fedora. Also redhat has their own docker drop in replacement podman.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well I have some centos 6 servers that I need to upgrade, I was going to go straight to 8 for the 10 years support but now I don’t know. We are a red hat shop usually but maybe not anymore.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
RHEL is still open source shouldn’t it take like a month for someone to make a new free RHEL clone.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I had windows in my grub list on fedora but I preferred to switch using efibootmgr since I was doing multiboot with multiple videocards and a kvm monitor and I had to race to switch inputs.

I had it setup to boot linux by default, when I wanted to boot windows I ran this shell script:

code:
efibootmgr -n 1
reboot
Then on windows if i wanted to go back to linux I just rebooted, if I wanted to reboot to windows I ran this powershell script:

code:
bcdedit /set "{fwbootmgr}" bootsequence "{bootmgr}"
Restart-Computer

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Thats just the next boot, making it permanent is possible too.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
My commonly typed passwords use only the left half of they keyboard and I only use shift for the first or last letter.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, that's what I concluded as well - the furthest I got was a weird almost-land where the OpenCL miner happily detected the card and started, but never managed to actually do any work. Getting graphical output was similarly almost-but-not-quite - I got the EFI framebuffer to work, but it died when the proper driver took over. At a guess there was some memory range that wasn't properly forwarded?

Oh well, that's why it's just running Ubuntu directly now, and why I'm planning to try setting up a FreeBSD VM that just needs a few drives forwarded. Maybe a network card if I feel fancy.

I have gpu passthrough working and it was annoying on fedora because my motherboard needed the acs patch and at the time not every setting was exposed in the virt-manager so you had to edit the xml by hand.

Then I got it setup on proxmox which was a breeze because its basically designed to do pass though and did almost everything thought the gui. I only had to add "intel_iommu=on kvm-intel.nested=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream" to my grub line and had gpu passthough working, also updated to kernel 5.11 since I found the default 5.4 very buggy.

I passthrough my baremetal nvme windows install and switch between virtualized and bare metal easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The only good reason to make something complex in bash is if you need compatibility with every *nix made in the last 30 years.