Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one help me using RAW camera images with linux?

I want to have a very simple way to convert RAW images to JPEG with the click of a button. I have UFRaw which can batch convert images on the command line. Turning that into a little script seems simple enough.

I cannot figure out what values to use for all the settings so that it will spit out a JPEG that is identical (or as close as it possible) to what my camera would have produced. Is this possible?

I tried just using all the defaults, but that produces a jpg that is less than half the size of what my camera normally produces. And it is much darker than the original NEF file.

My camera is a Nikon D40 and I have previously been saving file in jpg Fine mode. I can't even figure out what the compression on the jpeg files is. They seem to be different for every photo.

Thank you for any help. I just want to be able to quickly send stuff off to Flickr, and for that they need to be in jpeg (or tiff I guess) format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

sund posted:

You should run the standalone 'ufraw' command. It has a GTK interface you can check and set all your options with. There is also a gimp import plugin if you want to use that. Once you got it configured with some good defaults, you can export the configuration and use it with ufraw-batch.

I'm not sure if your Nikon has a similar feature, but my camera is an Olympus and I find it easier to just use it in RAW+JPG mode. I treat the jpegs as I would a snapshot and throw on flickr or send to a friend and only get into the raws if I need to.

I was thinking of using thr RAW+JPG feature, but that would create a lot of extra data that I will never use. If I snap 100 photos, I may only throw 1 or 2 on Flickr. That is a lot of jpg's sitting around just taking up space.

Defaults is kind of a subjective term though, isn't it? Settings that make one output jpeg look like the input raw will not necessarily work across the board. At least that is the way it is looking to me. Maybe what I am trying to do just isn't a possiblity?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just want to point out that I am an idiot.

I never realized that you can use the SATA/PATA kernel drivers instead of the old IDE drivers, you don't need both. Since I have both IDE and SATA drives in my system, I always had both in my colonel. Now I have removed all the IDE junk and my old IDE drives show up as sda, sdb etc etc.

It has resolved a lot of weird issues with my SATA dvdr drive doing stupid things and driving me mad. Who knew.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

thenameseli posted:

I don't think that makes you an idiot. It is quite understandable, since libata only recently started supporting PATA drives, and the current layout of the kernel config menu does not really make it clear that libata and "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" are different driver subsystems.

Well, maybe I jumped ahead of myself here. I am having a hell of a time consistently burning dvds.

Sometimes I will get half a dozen in a row burned without error, but then sometimes I will get a string of discs that the computer cannot read.

This is what dmesg says when I try to mount a good disc:
code:
ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
And here it is making GBS threads all over itself:
code:
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x3 [current] 
sr 0:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x5
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 8
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 2
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 3
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 4
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 5
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 6
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 7
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 8
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 9
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 10
printk: 6 messages suppressed.
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 0
Reducing readahead size to 32K
FAT: unable to read boot sector
growisofs always reports the disc burned correctly, and the buffer is full the entire time. I can't figure out why it works some times and not others. I haven't had a stack of coasters this big since my first 2x CDR drive.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone have any tips for getting Steam to work under wine?

I have a fresh install of gentoo, kernel 2.6.21, and wine-0.9.45. I followed the guide at winehq for installing Steam and it all went off without a hitch.

Steam starts and seems to run, but it will always lock up, usually while steam is still logging in but sometimes I can get to the game list and start it downloading stuff. It never lasts more than thirty seconds though.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

teapot posted:

1. Software that requires Gnome does not make you run Nautilus, so there should be no problems with resources.
2. gvim, obviously, requires GTK+, and runs just fine on extremely slow hardware.
3. I have posted, and mentioned multiple times in this thread, how to modify Gnome to use Sawfish and Thunar. That configuration is at least as fast as Xfce/Xubuntu.
4. How to give XEmacs a more modern look: http://abelits.livejournal.com/31307.html

Don't forget ROX Filer and the entire ROX desktop suite. Every time I have to use a file Manager other than ROX Filer I get angry.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This seems like a relatively simple problem, but I cannot figure out how to adjust (lower) the mouse sensitivity in X. I am suing XFCE as my window manager.

XFCE only has controls for mouse acceleration etc.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "evdev"
Option "evBits" "+1-2"
Option "keyBits" "~272-287"
Option "relbits" "~0-2 ~6 ~8"
EndSection

I have tried adding an Option resolution line with various values but as far as I can tell it is ignored.

There has to be a way to do this?!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Marinmo posted:

drat that sucks. Well, now I at least know why. Wonder how hard it could be to code a proper search function and why noone has done it yet.

http://www.gentoo-portage.com

That is all you need.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Linux just blew my mind.

At my console I was in directory A, and then in my file manager I moved directory A into directory B. Then I went back to the console and did a cd .. . This put me into directory B!!!

(desktopflickrorganizer-v0.7 moved to directory ~/Programs)
patrick@Gohan ~/desktopflickrorganizer-v0.7 $ cd ..
patrick@Gohan ~/Programs $

I was fully expecting to be in my home directory after the cd. Has it always worked like this and I have just never noticed it?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have been using XFS for a while now. It seems to work well enough in every area except when I have to delete files. I just deleted a 4.4gb dvd image with the rm and the time command: 1m20.638s. What the gently caress. No matter what size the file, on ext3 it only ever takes half a second, like it should!

Is there any way to fix this? If I reformat XFS is there some obscure option I can set to make the delete command not take forever?

If not, I am going to format to ext3. I have never used it on partitions that are 200-300gb. Should I just do mke2fs -j or are there other options I should adjust?

And I really hate to ask this, but is ext3 really what I should be using?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Col posted:

@Kaluza, ext3 is an extremely stable/mature (and often the default) filesystem that will have no problems at all with a 200-300GB partition. Not near a linux computer at the moment to give you specific advice re the options however.

I just did mke2fs -j -m 0 -L Shares /dev/sda6

The man page actually says something about the superuser reserved space helping to cut down on fragmentation, is this true? I got rid of it because I have in the past filled this particular partition right to the brim. I think that is what fucks over XFS and makes it start sucking.

This is also the first partition I have ever remembered to label. Is it not possible to have your drives mounted by label? Right now I reference the drive-id (/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD501LJ_S0MUJ1FP842686-part6) in fstab, but can I use the labels if I label them all?

Oh, and is it safe to delete the lost+found directory?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
So I did df -h before deleting 88gb of files, and the same after. It is only reporting 35gb more free space? I have never noticed anything like this before. I recently switched from an XFS format to ext3. Is it doesn't something weird I don't know about?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just installed ubuntu for the first time (the xfce version) on an old thinkpad. I am not used to using a distro that has control panels for system administration, I have always used gentoo.

I would like to mount some nfs shares. I know I can just edit /etc/fstab, but is there a fancier way to do it with ubuntu? Like how you "open location" with the Finder in OS X or something? I don't see any sort of volume manager anywhere.

Am I losing out on some of the fancy config options because I am using xfce instead of gnome? The last time I tried to use gnome on this laptop it was painfully slow. Xfce on here is actually quite usable and it is what I have always used anyway.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just updated my kernel to 2.6.24-r2 which apparently fixed that nasty root exploit.

I am trying to recompile a small kernel module I use and it is now complaining it cannot find the file asm/8253pit.h. It is one of the kernel includes from the module. I have gathered that it has something to do with some old Intel timer chip that's job is now handled by the southbridge bla bla I have no idea where to find this thing. I guess I have to add something to my kernel, but what?

I used the exact same kernel config as before and never had this problem :(.

edit: I have been told that this #include is no longer included with kernel 2.6.24. I am not a programmer, is there a way to get around this? Can I get it from somewhere else?

other people fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 13, 2008

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Recently when I insert my fancy pants Sandisk EXTREME III SDHC card I am getting ugly errors like this:
code:
[1548915.840211] usb 2-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
[1548920.948351] usb 2-6: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[1548920.948568] scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[1548920.948680] usb-storage: device found at 5
[1548920.948682] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[1548925.941769] scsi 7:0:0:0: Direct-Access     SanDisk  SDDR-113         1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
[1548926.275691] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] 7959552 512-byte hardware sectors (4075 MB)
[1548926.276562] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
[1548926.276572] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[1548926.276578] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
[1548926.278683] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] 7959552 512-byte hardware sectors (4075 MB)
[1548926.279557] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
[1548926.279567] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[1548926.279574] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Assuming drive cache: write through
[1548926.279579]  sdd: sdd1
[1548926.280622] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdd] Attached SCSI removable disk
[1548926.280664] sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
[1548926.280890] usb-storage: device scan complete
[1548926.462545] FAT: Directory bread(block 8192) failed
[1548926.462554] FAT: Directory bread(block 8193) failed
[1548926.462562] FAT: Directory bread(block 8194) failed
[1548926.462569] FAT: Directory bread(block 8195) failed

repeated all the way to:
[1548958.503151] FAT: Directory bread(block 8255) failed
It appears mounted but there is nothing in the directory. If I unmount and remount it starts working normally and I can see all the files and read/write etc.

I don't normally use this card in any other computer but I just plugged it into a macbook (with the same card reader, I only have one that does sdhc) a few times and it mounted fine each time.

Is this some ominous sign that my card is about to fail? Please say no and don't be lying.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

waffle iron posted:

I would copy all the data off of the drive and use fsck on it or badblocks.

Badblocks came back clean, but fsck.msdos does not:
code:
Gohan patrick # fsck.msdos -V -v /dev/usbdrive
dosfsck 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)
dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
Differences: (offset:original/backup)
  65:01/00, 72:49/4f, 73:4b/20, 74:4f/4e, 75:4e/41, 76:20/4d, 77:44/45
  , 78:34/20, 79:30/20, 80:00/20, 81:00/20
1) Copy original to backup
2) Copy backup to original
3) No action
? 3
Boot sector contents:
System ID "        "
Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
       512 bytes per logical sector
     32768 bytes per cluster
      6252 reserved sectors
First FAT starts at byte 3201024 (sector 6252)
         2 FATs, 32 bit entries
    496640 bytes per FAT (= 970 sectors)
Root directory start at cluster 2 (arbitrary size)
Data area starts at byte 4194304 (sector 8192)
    124112 data clusters (4066902016 bytes)
63 sectors/track, 128 heads
      8192 hidden sectors
   7951360 sectors total
Starting check/repair pass.
Checking for unused clusters.
Checking free cluster summary.
Starting verification pass.
Checking for unused clusters.
/dev/usbdrive: 14 files, 14/124112 clusters
Gohan patrick #
I formatted the card with my camera because I thought it would fix that boot sector backup error, but it didn't. Should I copy one over the other? If so, which one?

Or is it safe/better to format the card with mkfs.vfat?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Cannister posted:

I recently decided to give Linux a real shot after both Vista and XP (respectively) kicked the bucket on me. I installed Fedora 8 and am trying to get my normal workflow requirements satisfied as far as software is concerned.

I am an amateur photographer and I shoot a Canon Rebel XT. F-Spot's photo importer takes it's sweet time downloading files, which is kind of an issue.
The main problem though is the editing process. I found a program (UFRaw) to read the .CR2 Raw files that the camera saves photos as, but it's quite awkward to work with and is nowhere near as versatile as Photoshop's RAW editor. It also has the tendancy to load each new photo that I open with the edited settings (exposure, contrast curve, color temperature) of the last photo I edited, instead of the camera defaults, but I'm sure that's my fault.

So are there any dSLR users here who know good RAW workflow editing software for Fedora?

I use ufraw and have been happy with it, but I have to admit I have never used any other raw editor so maybe I just don't know what I am missing. I do know that you can set it to a default configuration when it starts. Under 'Options', 'Configuration' tab, set 'Save image defaults' to 'Never again'.

I have never used f-spot. I just have a script that copies all the image files off my card and puts them in folders named for the date the photo was taken on.

Failing all that, Photoshop runs fine in wine last time I checked.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Roloc posted:

http://www.linux.com/feature/53118

That is a fairly good writeup of your options. I use Rhythmbox and it works fine for me but I know some people hate it with a passion.

I wonder if it occurred to that guy that if he installed the windows media, ogg, real media, and flac libraries that almost all of those programs would have played any file he threw at them just fine.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am copying a bunch of directories/files to a SD card. It chokes every time it hits a name with dos special characters.

Is there a way to copy these files directly and have the special characters removed on the fly when needed?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

chryst posted:

How are you copying? A simple glob like * should copy special characters just fine.

To replace them, look into the "tr" command.

Basically something like

code:
for i in `ls`; do 
fname="$(basename $i)" 
nname="$(echo $fname| tr 'weird character' '_')" 
mv $fname $nname; done
I don't recall offhand, but the tr man page should show you how to specify the weird character.

I am just doing cp -r /dir .

Some folder/file names have colons, questions marks, and umlauts etc. The command stops on just about anything that isn't a standard english letter or number.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I just got a new ipod nano. I stuck it in my macbook and then went through the little setup in itunes where you give it a name and update it.

When I plug it into my linux computer it sees the device but it says it has an unknown partition table. Is it formatted to HFS or something? I thought they all used FAT32 now. Can I format it to fat32 and use it normally? What can I do to get this working?

Thank you!

edit: It seems I need to "restore" my ipod to use fat32. But as far as I can tell you can only do this with itunes in Windows? I don't have a computer with windows!

edit edit: I used the osx disk utility to repartition and reformat to fat32 and now it is working. One thing that is a bit odd is that the ipod reports that there are zero songs on the device, but all the music is on there and is playable. Does anyone know a fix for this?

other people fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 2, 2008

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

chryst posted:

Because Linux is expecting it to be fat32 when it mounts.

The "restore" does more than format the ipod. It also generates the initial database and related files so the Ipod knows where to find what files. If you just copied them in place without the itunes database, they'll sit there as mp3's and your PC will find and play them, but the ipod itself will ignore them.

I don't know if this'll work, since I've never used itunes on OSX but you can try:
1. restore your ipod as normal in itunes
2. Copy everything itunes puts on the ipod to your hard drive
3. Use OSX disk utility to format as fat32
4. Copy itunes stuff back to ipod.
5. Add songs via itunes.

Sorry, I suppose I was not clear. The ipod is formatted and working with it's file structure. I have added songs to it that appear and play fine. It is just that it reports on the main screen that you have zero songs. When you then click "songs" and start browsing you can see and play all of them, but just at that one point it has the number zero. A very minor thing, but I was wondering if there was a quick way around it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have two directories full of files that I want to merge into one. Both directories have files like "file0001.doc file0002.doc" etc etc. Both directories files start at 0001. So to merge them I need to rename the files in the second directory with numbers beginning at 0086 (in this case).

Is there a bash one liner for this? It would take me a wee while to write it in python.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Economic Sinkhole posted:

You should probably test this first, but this should work I think:
code:
x=86; for i in /dir/to/files/*; do mv $i file`printf "%04d.doc" $x`; x=$(($x+1)); done;

Worked like a charm, thanks!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
When I ssh into my host and start mucking about with my site in vi, I can no longer highlight text in the session and then middle click somewhere else (locally) and paste.

I can highlight text in the session and middle click inside the session to paste into vi though, which is nice. But how do I copy things from the session and paste it locally?

This only happens inside vi. If I am just at the bash prompt and I highlight something I can then paste that locally.

Does that make any sense?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

tehk posted:

That is very odd. Which term you are using? I tried this a few moments ago on both gnome's and xterm but it worked perfectly.

The one that comes with xfce4. The binary is just called terminal.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Peanutmonger posted:

That sounds like you have GPM support enabled in vim (or something along those lines). Get rid of that and it should leave your mouse clicks alone.

I have never heard of this before. I found it in the vim documentation but um. . . I can't quite see how to turn it off. There must be something I can put in the vimrc?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

MrBlandAverage posted:

Is there any way to make dcraw put the EXIF info into the JPEGs it generates?

Use exiftool to copy the exif data from the original raw file. dcraw itself doesn't do this.

The commands you want are:

exiftool -overwrite_original -TagsFromFile input.raw output.jpg

-overwrite_original replaces the original jpg with a new jpg including exif data, otherwise you get a copy.

Are you batch processing at the command line? ufraw will output jpg's with exif data but it is a gtk app.

edit: I totally forgot that ufraw also has a command line component that will embed exif in jpgs unless you tell it not to. ufraw is based on dcraw.

other people fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 24, 2008

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am going to move my root partition from XFS to ReiserFS. XFS just doesn't seem to handle lots of small files very well. Deleting folders like the kernel source really does take five minutes. And I know it sounds strange but it always seems to result in more hard disk activity for the same operation as my ext3 or reiserfs partitions.

Anyway, are there any options I need to pass to mkreiserfs? Also, my fstab line currently looks like this:
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD501LJ_S0MUJ1FP842686-part3 / xfs noatime,nodiratime,logbufs=8 0 1

Other than changing from xfs to reiserfs, am I good to go there?

And yes, I have backups. I am going to cp -a / except for /dev, /proc, /sys. I actually think I may need to copy /dev, I can't remember. I know I at least have to create empty directories with the same permissions as the old in the new fs.

And reiserfs doesn't need anything funny in grub as far as I can recall.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

tehk posted:

Besides all the prison and murder jokes, the biggest issue is maintenance. Other then that Novell made some good points about its limitations when they moved away from it back in 06.

That was in 06, now it is almost non existent.

Anyway I really want to play around with xfs

Sad but probably true :(.

XFS is neat until you come close to filling the partition, then it becomes slow as molasses (in my experience at least). I had an xfs partition that I regularly filled and then backed up to another location. Instead of deleting items in the partition after the backup I just got used to formatting it. Deleting them all would take half an hour and the speed would not increase as space was freed. This was a 200gb partition filled with large (2-8gb) files.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Why do macs suck so much?

I have been doing this to burn udf dvds for a long time (in linux) and it has never been a problem:

growisofs -speed=16 -Z /dev/dvd -udf -allow-limited-size -V "SUPER UDF DVD" -f -R -J /dir/with/files

Since upgrading to the latest and greatest version of OS X, these discs are no longer readable on my macs. They mount the disc and can read the disc title but the file system always appears empty. The discs work fine under linux.

So how do I burn a udf disc that OS X can read?

And don't get me started on every macs inability to read dvdr dual-layer discs!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

blitrig posted:

I'm a Linux neophyte more or less, so this question may be retarded but here goes:

I have a headless box running Ubuntu (Gutsy) on my network. I normally SSH into it, but recently I've had some use for a desktop environment, preferably KDE, that I can VNC into. I don't want KDE running constantly as it eats up resources.

How would I go about starting KDE via SSH, log into it via VNC, do my stuff, and then shut it down again via SSH?

I've tried a few things, but I'm just not Linux savvy enough (yet) to figure this one out on my own.

Unfortunately I have no idea what the answers to your questions are. I just want to know how you got that bar directly above the input that has the names of all the windows you have open, and I assume bolds the names with activity?!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I hate to admit it here, but I still use gentoo. It's all I've ever used. I've used ubuntu a few times on and off, but I've always gone back to gentoo. I can certainly understand people thinking it is a waste of time, I guess I am just so accustomed to it.

I haven't reinstalled in years, but I've done it many times. It used to take half a day (if not more). Both because I didn't know what I was doing and was always hitting bumps, and also because of the compile times. I have a quad-core now and I know exactly what to do so I am quite confident if I had to do it now I would be in xfce4 maybe 2-4 hours. Certainly not as fast as any binary distro, but it isn't too painful considering you only have to do it once.

The number one thing that has kept me going with gentoo though is the support. The few times I have problems these days I can go on the gentoo forums or wiki and find a solution in minutes. Granted, I have not checked out the Ubuntu forums in years, but the last time I had to find an answer on there I was very disappointed.

I think it just comes down to how you use it. I actually enjoy the sort of hacked-together feel of it all. I just can't imagine using anything else.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Xfce is great. It has a lot nice touches that I miss when I don't get to use it.

I use Rox Filer (http://roscidus.com/desktop/ROX-Filer) instead of Thunar. It is much more powerful than it looks.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Why did VLC drop the wxwindows gui? Am I correct that qt is the only option for a gui now? I love VLC, but even it can't make me install qt.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one inform me on how to safely and securely use NFS shares over a wireless network? I know NFS doesn't really have any built-in security. I have WPA2 on my wireless network, but is there a simple way to tunnel things through SSH or use a VPN?

The network has both linux and OS X computers on it, so a solution has to be compatible with both.

What is required to run a VPN? Do you need some special software running on a server, and then client software for each computer?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_OpenVPN_Server_for_Ethernet_Bridging_with_Server_Certificates

That is the guide I am trying to follow to setup the server.

It fails at trying to bring up tap0.

code:
depend_br0() {
   need net.tap0 net.eth0
}

tuntap_tap0="tap"
config_eth0=( "null" )
[b]config_tap0=( "0.0.0.0 promisc" )[/b]
bridge_br0="eth0 tap0"
# or dynamically add them when the interface comes up
#bridge_add_eth0="br0"
config_br0=( "10.20.30.3" )
What is "promisc" refering to? I get an error "nothing provides `promisc'".

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Things are going a bit better now. I had to add the bridge module to my kernel.

I have Tunnelblick installed on my mac, and it seems to be happy enough to connect to the vpn server. But uh, how do I know it is "working", so to speak?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Every time I use my macbook I want to throw the loving thing across the room. I really hate OS X.

What are the odds of installing linux on this thing and having it all behave nicely? It has a core duo 2, 512mb ram, and intel 950 graphics.

Which distros would work here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Col posted:

Ubuntu is a good place to start, for the documentation if nothing else:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

Yeah, that is very helpful, thank you.

One thing it doesn't make very clear is the disk partitioning. I don't really have any need to dual boot. Can I just have the ubuntu installer :pt: the hard disk?

I really like xfce, but I don't know if it will give me complete support of the power management features a laptop needs. I think I will stick with gnome just to be safe.