Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LarryLevan
Jul 25, 2004
Everybody wants to be.. bourgie bourgie
I'm planning to use xming and Redhat/openSuSE to make XWindows apps usable by software engineers running VisualStudio/XP Pro. Google xming if you aren't familiar with what it does. It's fixing to be a hugely beneficial thing where I work, keeping us (overworked IT department) from having to maintain Redhat boxes for 45+ yr old engineers who haven't used any kind of Unix since their college days. I am very curious to hear folks' experience with xming, if any in this thread have. When I threw one of our QA guys on an xming-driven XWindows session (my XP box), he reported that the apps in question behaved as expected. Below are the specs for the boxes involved initially:

xming box (my primary workstation): athlon 1800+, 2gb, xp pro, gbit lan
redhat box (typical linux box): p4 2.4-3.0, 1-2gb ram, gbit lan

The XWindows app that will get the most play is network driven and allows for federation with other similar systems using the HLA protocol. It can be a pretty busy application when a lot is going on. My testing thus far is limited (but promising), and we will have an opportunity for the team to bang on it next week. If anyone has done anything remotely similar with xming, could you please share some details about your experience (specs of machines, memory/cpu utilization on both ends, apps involved)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU