Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I have a directory that contains several hundred other directories and in each is a handful of files of the same type. What is the best way to get all the files in the child directories into the parent? I'm using ubuntu, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

Twinxor posted:

code:
find /parent -name "*.type" -exec mv -i {} /parent /;
This is a job for 'find', which is a horribly complicated but really useful utility. This command recursively finds all files under /parent that match the pattern "*.type", and then moves the matching files to /parent.

That did the job beautifully. Thanks!

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

joe944 posted:

I might attempt a reinstall, once I figure out where to do that!

Before you do this try removing the 'quiet splash' at the end of the boot options. For some reason, unless I do this, Ubuntu will not boot.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Could someone explain to me how the 'clipboard' (is that the correct term in Linux?) normally behaves? I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 with the default Gnome and Nautilus. For example, if I copy some text in Firefox, close the Firefox window, then open up another program and try to paste the text, it is lost. Unless I leave the source application running, I can't copy and paste between two programs. Is this normal?

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I'm trying to get my scanner working and I'm getting a strange error.
code:
deryk@dna:~$ scanimage --format tiff >~/test.tiff
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
deryk@dna:~$
If I use:
code:
deryk@dna:~$ sudo scanimage --format tiff >~/test.tiff
everything works as expected.

I checked and 'deryk' is a member of the group 'scanner'.

Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and Update Manager says everything is up to date.

Mr. DNA fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 12, 2007

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

Sloth50 posted:

AMD athlon 64 3500+
Radeon x800 pro

You're in luck. While I may know very little about Linux, I had this exact setup and had the exact same problem. You will need to use the Ubuntu alternate install disc and change the boot options when you run the install. You need to remove the 'quiet splash' options at the very end.

Once Ubuntu is installed you will also have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and remove the 'queit splash' options.

Get the alternate install by going here. Check the box that says "Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD. This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a text-based installer."

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions. I spent a day figuring this out last year when I first switched!

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

Marinmo posted:

amaroK is great if you run KDE.

Is this a limitation? I'm running Gnome (ubuntu) and Amarok, and there are no problems whatsoever. I guess I had to install some KDE libs, but that's certainly not a hassle if you use Synaptic or something equivalent.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Is it possible to have wget login to the SA forums so that it can download a page that you must be registered in order to see? I tried following a few guides I found through Google but nothing seemed to work. Thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

waffle iron posted:

Run wget and use the argument --load-cookies FILE where FILE is your cookies.txt (probably from your Mozilla or Firefox profile).

Thanks for the answer, it worked like a charm. I'm just grabbing a single page occasionally, but I'll ask an admin just to be safe.