Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Bomb Hills, Not Countries
I'm planning on trying out Linux for the first time as soon as my bootable FC6 discs finish up, and just have some questions.

1. Support for my hardware. Has anyone personally tried any of these pieces of hardware on a linux machine?
-Microsoft Intellimouse (Making all the buttons just as functional)
-Logitect G15 Keyboard
-ATI Radeon x700 AGP
-Linksys Internal Wireless Adapter
-HP 3310 Printer (Setup through a wireless network)
-iPod
-HP R927 Digital Camera

Since without the linksys driver, I won't be able to get on the linux box to the internet, that one is a priority to start. Thing is, I don't even know the process of loading a driver into linux. This is all incredibly different to me. I googled around, and don't think that much of it will be an issue, but wondering if any of you know about any of it.

2. Whenever I format my desktop using Windows, I have to use the disc that came with my motherboard to get my ethernet working. When that disc doesn't work with linux, am I just boned?

3. I have two hard drives in my desktop. The master is what I use for my OS, and I slave for storage of files. I'm using this faq http://www.howtoforge.org/the_perfect_desktop_fedora_core6 to do the install, but it doesn't mention anything about it. Will my second drive be untouched? It's where all my pictures and whatnot are. Will I be able to read/write to that drive (NTFS) after I install Linux on my machine?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

Ok, I have a question that I'm sure has been covered, but I wouldn't even know what to search for...

I have 4 hard drives:
(2) 160 GB
(1) 80 GB
(1) 60 GB

I want to install Windows on one of the 160's, and Ubuntu 7.10 on the 80 GB. I want to be able to boot from either from when my computer starts up. How do I do this?

Jesus Stick
Dec 14, 2004

As far as the C:/ drive thing, should I just remove the other drives, and format one of the 160's with Windows first, so it becomes the C: drive?

Edit: Also, they are all IDE drives. Do I set the two I want to be able to boot from as the two masters, or does it matter?