Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

is it possible when public keys for authentication to not have putty prompt for a username? currently the key works as it should, but it asks for my login (root), and then logs in without a password. i would like it to just connect and drop me to #

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lucien posted:

Not sure about Putty but try to log in to root@yourserver.name

ah very nice. thanks!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I have two ubuntu boxes hooked together via a switch, what is the "proper" way to mount a directory on box2 so that I can drop files to it from box1?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

can someone spit me out a command that will relatively quickly calculate the size of a directory that has a MASSIVE amount of folders/files under it? du ain't cutting it

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Thelonious Funk posted:

Doesn't du --maxdepth=1 just calculate the top level directory?

Or do you mean that it's taking forever, not that it's spitting out too much info?

taking forever, dir in question has a massive amount of directories with directories under those etc etc

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can anyone tell me or point me to a document that explains how I can pipe all inbound email (sendmail) to a PHP script while letting a couple local mail accounts be handled normally? I am working on a site that wants to do e-mail media upload (users have a *secret* TO address). The server also has a couple company addersses like abuse@ and what not that have aliases setup to forward e-mail to those addresses to another mail server.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Can you just have your php program monitor a mailbox and do whatever with the files from there?

Hmmm probably. How do I go about having a single "dump" account that will accept all mail that doesn't otherwise match an alias/user?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ninja Rope posted:

If you're actually using sendmail on the MTA, /etc/aliasses can be used to run a script whenever an email is sent to a specific address. man aliases for details. I'm sure some other MTA will use that file too.

My issue is the wildcard which I can't figure out. The website I am setting this up for has a ton of users with a secret TO address (like how facebook supports email a picture to an address uploads). The plan is to have all inbound mail piped to a php script that does a lookup on the "to" and matches it to a user in the database, and then stores the file, updates their profile, and what not.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can someone please explain to me how to properly setup name based virtual hosts in apache2? For some reason I always have a brain fart when setting them up and end up just trying different things until they work correctly. I have a VPS with a single ip and I want to have something.domain.com go to one directory, something2.domain.com to go to a different one and do the same thing for HTTPS. I cant seem to make sense of vhost overlap and all that jazz and despite working in IT I always choke in this relatively simple thing.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

And is excluding the ServerName directive the way to have apache catch everything else?

edit: Actually looking back I only ever struggled with SSL and now that I have read up on the SSL handshake it makes sense why it's so wonky.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Sorry for the crossposting spam but I am not sure where this best fits so I am tossing it in a couple threads, can't really determine the right keywords to search otherwise I would just dig into google results.

I have a docker host and want to migrate to NginxProxyManger to handle my LetsEncrypt SSL cert. I have a couple web services on my local network that I want to present to the public internet. Lets called these ServiceA, B and C, most of them are other docker instances but some are physical hosts, all with a specific port I need to reverse proxy to.

I *somehow* want the following to work

Hit mydomain.com:443 -> Proxy to an internal non-SSL apache instance on port 80
Hit mydomain.com:1234 -> Proxy to an internal docker service on port 8888
Hit mydomain.com:9999 -> Proxy to some other internal non-SSL service

Now NPM has "proxy hosts", and "redirection hosts". I am not sure which I want to be using, moreso I am not sure how I properly configure NPM to take connections from the above 3 ports and send them elsewhere. I can get one service working fine, but can't figure out what I need to be doing to break out traffic based on inbound port, because out of the box NPM assumes your router/firewall is sending everything inbound to it via single port. Does that make sense to anyone? Like I said I have been struggling even trying to articulate my issue even though it seems simple on the surface.