Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

unironically this. If ubuntu stock changes its interface anymore it will have cause me to condense into a black hole of annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I am getting back into fedora personally, I was going to check out docker, all my knowledge of it is super old and I remember the jist of it, being "it sucks."

Time to reeducate myself, so I can get some flatpaks running that I have been wanting too.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

BoyBlunder posted:

I’m looking at installing Linux on my 2013 MBP. Is this a stupid thing to do?

All joking aside the biggest question is what are you trying to do? Like I am sure you will find a driver somewhere or write your own to get it to work.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah I use lqxt on my vms with fedora and it runs great.

I think gnome is pretty good but it is trying to be a desktop like windows.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I really like kde plasma but like gnome it is a bit beefy. I would say it is good for a general every day use desktop but I use my favorite Lxde on anything I actually want to be resource lite and still gui

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

taqueso posted:

Nah linux supports those MBPs great.

Cinnamon is way better than gnome.

Oh? Awesome.

Also I should try cinnamon though I haven't at all.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

RFC2324 posted:

"less resource intensive than gnome" isn't exactly lightweight. I wouldn't run either on anything I wouldn't run windows on and expect them to not suck.

Yeah, if you wouldn't run windows on it, don't use gnome, honestly I love LDXE, cause it is able to do the one thing I want those builds to do: open visual studios code, and give me a terminal for utilities.

If you want super light weight and want to run on practically anything, I would say a custom Arch build is right up your alley.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Craptacular! posted:

As he already is comfortable with Debian and wants stability, I would say if you're going this far for a super-light desktop (even lighter than MX) you should use BunsenLabs instead.

Oh awesome, I am going to try a vm of this

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I have to admit, I was pretty intimated by arch, but I really enjoy it for what it is good at. The only problem I ever had was basically of my own doing and really being lazy with settings and config files.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

originalnickname posted:

Thank you for your weirdly aggressive help, I do appreciate it.

I think you summed up the something awful experience more concisely than the Lord of the Rings flash.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I name all my ethos ports by osmosis.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hwy I was tooling around to try to get my main windows gaming PC and just convert it over to linux like the rest of my stuff.

I have been doing a few tests on lutris, anyone have experience with it? My vms and laptop are simply not well setup to do more than a few games and certainly not some high end stuff. So I am wary of making the full jump cause my previous attempts using docker and wine on a windows dual boot never are encouraging.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, when I was first learning on a debian machine in the 1990s I did build and compile stuff. The allure lost its luster fast :smith:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Haha I did that too. When I was a entry level tech support fodder. I thought it would teach me linux... it did and made me hate it with a passion. Haha. Then windows vista came out and made me look for better distro.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I work on Linux Mint (It was pretty interesting requesting it, BE UR OWN IT, my IT guy has no idea what he is doing) and at home have Pop OS, if I didn't have a high end gaming windows 10, I would totally go linux. But there are still a few games/hardware issues that won't let me go fully linux. (I have a dual boot to test)

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I can vouch for Terminator, I use it at work, and it is very useful when I need to log into multiple servers and run the same test and compare at the same time.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I use software lvm raid using mdadm and it is pretty solid. I think hardware raid is pretty restrictive comparatively.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah mdadm at least allows you to hotswap drives and rebuild the array, you don't have to reboot to do all that stuff.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Anyone trying deepin? I saw this article and formatted a laptop to try it and uh... it feels like mint had a person working on the ui to make it feel like macos/windows 10.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...tion-needs/amp/

I mean it is Forbes but other than being pretty it seems to be kinda of an entry level debian based distro with a few more bells and whistles than normal. I am not seeing the big deal.

I am thinking of going back to my manjaro with kde...

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I eagerly look forward to a systemd focus on debian in 2050.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Varkk posted:

I have seen enough committees to know that Option 8 will be the overwhelming winner. Bonus points to form a smaller sub-committee to discuss the matter. Membership of sub-committee to be decided later.

woah woah lets slow down here, we need a premeeting to decide where the meeting to decide the sub-committee.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'll be honest every time I think I am decent at linux, I get someone with another distro, or another program, and I stare blankly quietly panicking and wondering if I should know this.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I am getting into Devops myself working with storage and security now to buffer my networking. Next comes sysadmin stuff.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

xzzy posted:

btrfs is the manufacturer recommendation for synology nas devices. :v:

Synology has also modified BTRFS on its units fairly heavily. :v:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah if you are going command line you could run it on practically anything. Xfce is going to be your key choice in my opinion. It has a good solid lightweight gui.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Just give up and accept the nano

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Craptacular! posted:

Apple's invested a lot in design/human interface work over the years to understand how humans grok things and produce interfaces that humans can use and are formatted well. Apple buttons say what they do instead of being yes/no buttons, which is a big part of how "abort/retry/fail" became a 20 year meme about the difficulty of using computers. Considering that the biggest interface pitfall software has is being designed for engineers, there's nothing wrong with trying to clone their work. The underlying system is still far more configurable than a closed source platform is.

I'm at a point anymore where I demand global menus instead of each loving windowbar hosting a menu/button ribbon.

I want to just say, I've used practically every OS i can get my hands on from JCL, to unix, Windows to solaris to apple since mac IIe and apple is the one interface I just can never ever get. It frustrates me constantly, and I loath every time i have to test on a mac, since it is counter intuitive as hell to me. Yet, I hear stuff like this constantly, and just don't get it.

I can figure out Arch in a few hours, but give me an iPad and I have hack it so I can put a normal file system on it and get any longterm use out of it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I'm the guy mounting the ipad via usb, to transfer books so I could read them, but since they weren't via apple, they had to be done via a file manager.

I can figure out most stuff, i just can't figure out apple stuff. I've used apples since the very first ones all the way to modern ones, cause I was that "mac guy" that had the most experience with it. I still hated the interface and how it worked, but then again, my needs are way way different than most people who want things to work.

I know many developers who will only use mac book pro, but I was the guy who flashed it and put on fedora, cause it was easier to work with. :shrug:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
With arch linux it feels like those comments are standard, and only gentoo, goes further into "what the gently caress is that mean?" territory

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Methanar posted:

zfs root fs linux bad

um acktually, it is zfs root fs Gnu using linux bad :suicide:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Today I got to feel like a big dummy.

I am using a client that uses internal port 5510, and the client wasn't connecting to the server.

Gave a unique path on my firewall for my port still won't work.

Nmap shows the port closed, assumed it was the router and disabled the firewall completely to the server.

Still, nothing.

Finally did a tracepath to and found it just hitting the server and stopping...

I hadn't started the daemon. :ohdear:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Containerizing docker to run my docker full of oses used to run my dockers full of apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Half of that I truly believe is so they can sell expensive certifications to make people get so what happened to the 1990s when all the linux kids managed to get IT jobs doesn't happen again.