Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I hope I haven't asked a question here and forgot.

Anyway...

I've been in the mood for dicking around with web, ftp and other miscellaneous server stuff as it has been ages and I want to catch up / brush up.

I have created a VM in VirtualBox (open version) with Linux Mint 8 x64.

The host is running Ubuntu Karmic.

Mint was chosen based off teh following criteria: The CD was sitting on my desk.

What I want to do is make sure that it has NOTHING facing the internet. What's the easiest way to do this?

I want to have ssh, probably telnet, ftp, possibly NNTP and a few other random ports open to my network for my own nefarious uses.

The network is just a thrown together thing with wired / wireless using a DIR-300.

So what's the easiest way to make sure my guest isn't a security vulnerability?

Another question. How can I re-add the keyboard shortcut for "xkill"? I don't want to do it via the Gnome shortcut editor because I don't always use Gnome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Me again. I have another one.

Are there any home budget managing programs? Using a spreadsheet is messy and awkward.

I'm after something that I can track expenses and bank balances in. Also to put in bills with their due date and if / when I have paid and how much.

Does something like that exist? I have been trying ot find something and but haven't found anything quite right.
One of those "roll your own" circumstances maybe? If so, what would be a good backend to store data?
yes I was a software developer in a previous life.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I had a one off, but horrible bug in ssh yesterday which I have been unable to reproduce. Would I just be wasting peoples time by reporting it?

The bug: executing the local version of firefox instead of the one I had an ssh connection with. Yes I am sure. No I don't know how. Subsequent executions were invariably the remote version.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ShoulderDaemon posted:

It's a firefox "feature".

When you start firefox, it asks your X server if there is already a running firefox window. If there is, it sends it a message to open a new window instead of doing it itself. If you are running over SSH, this results in the bad thing happening.

That is absolutely idiotic. I must have had a 'dead' firefox resident that spawned the new window then.

So this wonderful "feature" prevents a user from running firefox on a remote computer via X tunneling in ssh if there is a local version running. But the programs aren't even executing on the same machine. Now I have to experiment with other programs which do the already running instance check.

If I issue a command in SSH I don't want it to be hijacked by the local system. Thanks, Firefox.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

thelightguy posted:

But their payloads do. The bytecode/scripted exploits are only good for injecting a machine code payload, and nobody is targeting desktop linux yet.

Because that would be like hitting a moving target at 1000'. Binaries become incompatible awfully fast in linux, especially ones that deal with anything critical to functionality ie kernel, modules and friends.
There are also minor binary / structural incompatibilities between major distribution groups. Then there is processor types. I'm not even sure I _can_ run a 32 bit binary on this machine.

I do have ClamAV installed with a context menu scan option, but it has never found anything and to be honest I have no idea if it even works.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Is there an id3 tag checker program? I like rhythmbox, but there is a rotten mp3 somewhere in my collection that causes it to crash and I have no idea how to find the little bastard.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Run an AV scanner on it (your MP3 folder)
Hm? As in audio/video or antivirus?

Anyway I found the issue, sort of. It's not one mp3, it's lots. It's a clusterfuck bug between GStreamer, dbus and rhythmbox so it'll probably never be fixed. Something to do with container formats I think.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have a question. I don't know if I'd call it urgent but a quicker answer would make things a little easier for me.

My situation:

I need to use the Android SDK and Emulator, and I suppose Eclipse too which I'm not overly fond of but it has the best Android support.

Because the Android emulator is horrifically awful I need to run it on the desktop PC, which isn't always the most convenient. My netbook is not up to the task unless I want to spend an hour waiting for what seems to be java emulating hardware running linux running java to try the program.

What are my options? My thought was a VNC client / server, but not one of the sort that hijacks a current session on the server side. I'd like it to have its own session so I can use a suitable WM, chose my resolution and hopefully have an edge scrolling VNC screen on the client (netbook) so I can have some room to breathe.

Would this be the relatively smart way to go about it?

Besides that it looks like the emulator is working through a port somehow but I'm not sure of the dynamic there. It'd be nice if I could have the backend running on the desktop but displaying on the netbook like the good old days running X11 programs remotely, but that opens up a whole other can'o'worms.

Put bluntly it doesn't have to be VNC and I am open to alternatives.

If you are wondering why, I'll tell you why. So far I have been forced to turn down a couple of software development job offers because of the difficulties involved with that and looking after my baby son concurrently. Not being totally bound to the desktop seems to be a workable compromise. And no I can't buy a big screen notebook. Current budget is ...not good.

edit: Using Ubuntu 10.04 x64 on the desktop and 10.04 32 bit on the netbook.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 9, 2011

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Oh hey look at that. i have a server running and can connect to it. I tried changing the window manager to flux box but all I get still is a completely useless window manager which does nothing. It has a desktop switcher on the bottom left (2x2) and possibly a box of some description on the bottom right. Also what seems to be a drag bar on the top with two sqaure sections on the end that seem to be buttons. It reminds me a lot of enlightenment, and for all I know could be but missing absolutely everything. What the hell? It has zero functionality.

edit: figured it out. I didn't kill the old VNC server session. oops.

Why I'm not using a real android device is I don't have an android phone, there is an Android tablet in the house which has the debugging stuff, but it seems to just have USB host ability. There is also an eee701 which runs Android x86 perfectly but once again, host only.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 9, 2011

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

General_Failure posted:

Oh hey look at that. i have a server running and can connect to it. I tried changing the window manager to flux box but all I get still is a completely useless window manager which does nothing. It has a desktop switcher on the bottom left (2x2) and possibly a box of some description on the bottom right. Also what seems to be a drag bar on the top with two sqaure sections on the end that seem to be buttons. It reminds me a lot of enlightenment, and for all I know could be but missing absolutely everything. What the hell? It has zero functionality.

edit: figured it out. I didn't kill the old VNC server session. oops.

Why I'm not using a real android device is I don't have an android phone, there is an Android tablet in the house which has the debugging stuff, but it seems to just have USB host ability. There is also an eee701 which runs Android x86 perfectly but once again, host only.

self quote to denote new content.

I thought I had a success with fluxbox. I was wrong. When I tested fluxbox I did it on the host computer via loopback. It worked fine.
Then I tried it on the netbook. I got the debian swirl background, then ...nothing. What the hell? VNC is clearly functioning, so is the X session, but the WM isn't working non-locally. I just don't get it.

edit: Fixed. The problem doesn't make perfect sense but it kind of does. I checked the logs and it was bitching about terminator missing its config file, so I made it the correct directory tree and a blank file. Suddenly the errors disappeared and everything started working via network. Strange it worked via loopback. Nevermind, all fixed.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 9, 2011

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
This is a linux / hardware question. Using ubuntu 10.04 x64 until 11.04 comes out.

Anyway, According to the nVidia utility this computer has a GeForce 7050 PV / nForce 630a chipset. I built it a couple of years or so ago and couldn't remember. Didn't really care to be honest.

Anyhow, what's out there in the way of PCIe graphics cards which are both affordable, like roughly $100 and under which are better than this and supported properly with drivers in linux?

Given how long it has been since this PC was built I don't think what I'm asking is unreasonable. I'm getting slightly irked by things this chipset is missing.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kcncuda71 posted:

anything nvidia should work pretty well as long as you get the proprietary drivers. If it was a laptop, I would say don't get an optimus enabled graphics card since Nvidia has said they are never supporting optimus on linux. But you don't have to worry about that since I don't think desktop graphics have optimus.

Good advice. Thanks.

I do have another hardware and software question. I have a friend who has one of those mil-spec toughbooks with the pivoting screen that switches to a tablet. Not sure of its specs but it runs XP so it's pretty safe to assume it's not cutting edge. She wants some type of linux on it. She wants some variety of Fedora but is flexible on that. Apparently Ubuntu 10.10 is unhappy with some aspect of the install, so what lighter weight ones are out there which require minimal setup to be useful with a tablet / notebook?
I've played with it on handhelds, netbooks, notebooks and desktop PCs, but this is one area which I'm not well versed. Ie I don't know of any which are good for a "normal" sized screen and are good for touch screens.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Is there anything resembling BrainForest for palm on Linux?

that was one of my most used programs on my palm and I really need a tool that is something similar. I can't find any info and just shotgun downloading everything that could be equivalent would be a horrible waste of time and resources. Help, please?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

rt4 posted:

I've never heard of that. What does it do?
Referring to Brainforest. Holy poo poo I forgot I asked this. I ended up getting lovely and spending literally days trying to transplant my data back on to my Palm so I could use it. Linux has the worst Palm support. So flaky.

Anyway Brainforest is essentially a tool which at its most basic level is a list maker that works in a tree format. So it's possible to make items and sub-items, nested as deep as you like. Really handy for breaking down big / complex jobs or planning things.

IIRC it also has the ability to set task completion as a boolean or a percentage.

I just looked. It can be set in project mode for that sort of thing, has due dates etc.

I spent a lot of time downloading and trying software almost at random and found nothing comparable.

Now for my question. Why is it that Linux always seems to look less well defined visually on this computer? Not just referring to fonts. I don't know why.

Recently I had a play around with XP. When it loaded I thought "Holy poo poo! I forgot how clear this old display is. (19" Almost workstation CRT monitor). I know that 1600 x 1200 is still below overscan on it but anything higher is wasted on me, so that's how I run.
XP was running the correct nVidia nForce drivers, as is Linux.
Both I tried running at the same resolution and refresh.

Just to be sure it wasn't my imagination I ran the XP VM I have set up for VirtualBox while in linux. The guest XP fullscreen still had that fuzzy feel that Linux has so it's not just a colour scheme or whatever issue.

About the only difference, and it didn't affect the "fuzz", was when I tweaked the brightness and contrast on the monitor and the gamma on the driver to make it pretty close on some online calibration cards I found.
I'm just sick of the poorly defined eyesore.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Palm has the worst Linux support.

It's just the way of most things in open source-land. Companies support Windows first, Mac second and maybe, if you're lucky, they support Linux. In most cases they don't so someone has to reverse engineer the thing and write some drivers for it. This usually isn't of the same quality as the official software.

You have misconfigured your video card/screen or something.

It's the weirdest thing. I remembered I did a few random updates today. I think it was Java and a few bits and pieces like that. I was elsewhere so I didn't bother rebooting. I just did and for some reason the visual elements are roughly as crisp as Windows. I checked the screen settings. They have changed to 65Hz. But I have tried different refresh rates in the past yielding no different results.

I remember years back using ...power ...something? in Windows 2000 / XP / DOS etc which let me configure the crap out of the hardware. I mostly used it to force my computer to work with a Sun workstation monitor, and to get one of my arcade machines which I changed to a MAME box to behave. There were so many other variables that made a difference, like hphase or something like that, front porch, back porch etc. All those things which are probably irrelevant on an LCD but totally relevant to CRTs. I wonder if something like that is at work.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have a question.
Starters we have an Acer Aspire One somethingorother Intel Atom CPU, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS apparently (thought I put Mint 12 on it. Whatever). Because the desktop poo poo itself with another hardware failure I've been using the netbook as a primitive desktop again. Peripherals plugged in including an external LCD.

here' s a brief story. I was doing some painting and had to shift the lovely 15" monitor which was gathering dust. I plopped it down near the ad-hoc pretend desktop next to the active monitor and thought "It'd be neat to use that as a text display for stderr or whatever for compiling, debugging and miscellaneous duties. Realised I had a serial terminal with SVGA output in the shed and contemplated using a USB-> serial dongle and the terminal as a second display. Then I looked down a touch at the closed netbook which happens to also have an LCD built in to it and realised I'm being a 'tard.

Now here's my question. Is there a way to utilize the builtin LCD monitor as a text display? Currently I don't have it active because I'm running the external at 1920x1080 and trying to use the builtin at the same time has a tendency to be a touch too much for the thing. So I was thinking because X may not be active on that screen, can I use it for alternate display or is that firmly in the "too hard basket" with modern distributions? I could do that sort of thing with older distributions of Debian or Redhat on a computer I forced to work with a GeForce 3 and a Mach64 at the same time, but I don't know about this.

If not, I might as well go full esoteric and use my Apple //e or IIgs as a terminal and have some fun.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not sure if you could use the laptop's screen to run text mode while the video adapter is also outputing video to the external monitor.

Plus, you'd almost have to have a second keyboard hooked up to run that display, since you couldn't move your mouse cursor to a text display to gain focus or whatever.

Good point. I wasn't thinking of using it as an active terminal though. Just more for something to direct various outputs to.

I think I'll drag the tower back out and see if by some miracle it powers up. Long story. Motherboard died. Replaced motherboard, put in a graphics card because the onboard was worse than the old one. Card even with uprated power supply was a bit too much and killed the supply, or so I think. Only original parts are the CPU and the hard drive.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Because closure is good this is just a followup post. I circumvented my multi monitor question entirely. Got the desktop running Apollo 13 style. Kept rearranging and pulling things until it had a successful startup. Powersupply is so borderline it hurts but it's good enough for now. If I can figure out how to make enough space I'll be putting my lovely old 1024x768 LCD TV / monitor on as a second head. Easy enough to do and I have a place to shove documents again and probably a nice terminal session.
Next up is to get one of those 7 pin SVideo to RGB RCA connectors I saw on eBay, make an RGB component to D9 adapter and see if I can drive one of my 1084S monitors correctly with the output. Yes I'm a relic who still loves the look of those monitors. It's also for emulation, curiosity on what Minecraft would look like and more importantly as basis for a follow up experiment.
If it works with the 1084S it is worth trying with the RGB signals on one of my arcade cabinets. If I am successful at that then I have the foundations of making a linux based MAME / emulation / misc other game cabinet (/fileserver. done that before.) without having to worry about overdriving the monitor when things go pear shaped or having to deal with Microsoft products.

At worst I might need a sync separator but that's really no major issue. If I wanted to be really lazy I have an AverKey 3 lying around which has SCART RGB as an output but I'd rather not use a scan converter.

Slight divergence there but you can see some of my ideas.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Mint 12, x64. Geforce 8800GTX.

I've been using linux without issue with the Acer 22" HD monitor. I know it works via both DVI and SVGA via an adapter. So no issue there. Today I plugged my lovely 15" SVGA LCD TV thing in via a DVI to SVGA adapter. After some fiddling in XP x64 I got them both to play nice (it firmly insisted that my Acer monitor was an HDTV and wanted it to be interlaced but I fixed that) so I know the setup works.

Now over to linux. If I go to whatever WM it only sees the Acer and not the other thing, but if I go to the nVidia X server settings it can see them both, however they are both marked as disabled.

In configuration I can choose "Separate X Screen (Requires X restart)" or disabled. If I try enabling it, saving xorg.conf and restarting, X becomes a non-starter and will only work if I replace xorg.conf with my good copy. I'm not completely silly!

So, what the hell do I do to get everything humming along?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

General_Failure posted:

Mint 12, x64. Geforce 8800GTX.

I've been using linux without issue with the Acer 22" HD monitor. I know it works via both DVI and SVGA via an adapter. So no issue there. Today I plugged my lovely 15" SVGA LCD TV thing in via a DVI to SVGA adapter. After some fiddling in XP x64 I got them both to play nice (it firmly insisted that my Acer monitor was an HDTV and wanted it to be interlaced but I fixed that) so I know the setup works.

Now over to linux. If I go to whatever WM it only sees the Acer and not the other thing, but if I go to the nVidia X server settings it can see them both, however they are both marked as disabled.

In configuration I can choose "Separate X Screen (Requires X restart)" or disabled. If I try enabling it, saving xorg.conf and restarting, X becomes a non-starter and will only work if I replace xorg.conf with my good copy. I'm not completely silly!

So, what the hell do I do to get everything humming along?

Don't mind me folks. Found the problem. For whatever reason the wrong version of the nVidia driver was active. This leaves me with the option of two X sessions, Xinerama or TwinView. Hmm.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Zom Aur posted:

TwinView is basically xinerama but better. I prefer that one. Some nvidia-cards have issues with powersaving and twinview though, so if the second monitor starts flickering, try disabling powermizer in nvidia-settings.

I found a comparison online showing that twinView has higher performance than Xinerama, but currently I'm using it solely because with TwinView I noticed that there is dead space where there is no display. I mean the old LCD is lower resolution so there is dead space above (or was it below) it where the mouse can disappear into oblivion. Xinerama blocks that.

Years back I used to run two X sessions. It's a bit anachronistic ow but it did have its uses, especially being able to run two window managers concurrently and have two distinct setups. But it's not really needed now, and there are other ways around it.

In reference to my earlier question too for a while this afternoon I was running a terminal full screen on the old monitor. I was happy. I do like ttys.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Zom Aur posted:

Strange, doesn't happen here. One monitor is 180px lower than the other, and the pointer can't enter the dead space.

Can't explain it. All I can say is it did it for me an the thought of being blind in a rather large area gave me the willies.

Another question. I want a sensors program which doesn't take up a huge amount of space. As mentioned earlier the computer is pretty borderline so I like to have something open to see if I'm pissing it off too much.
Been using xsensors but that bastard is huge. I don't care about fancy displays or anything. I just want a simple display of some things. Preferably configurable but if not I'll still take it.
I tried psensor too. It would have been nice if I could have gotten rid of the huge graph. I don't want a graph.
mbmon wanted me to setuid root. I don't even have super installed and I don't like giving anything that shouldn't need it root privileges.

Starting to see something I could probably write pretty easily here.

If you are wondering what I want to keep an eye on, it's essentially all the voltages and temperatures but most important are +12v, MB temp and CPU temp from the atk0110 interface, not acpitz or k8temp.
The graphics card is capable of dragging the +12v rail down below 11v if pushed and things get a bit iffy if that happens for too long. The computer also seems to shut off when MB temperature hits about 60*C.
It's behaving a bit better now I've done a bit more hardware work and the weather has cooled off but this thing can pump out a lot of heat when it's pushed. It's not new or even heavily accessorised with things. It's just something I put together to fill my needs out of what I could get my hands on for the right price. I also run linux and have done so nearly full time since ~'98 because it suits my needs and my way of thinking a lot better than Windows ever did.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I was going to write my own sensor display program. Was planning on starting today using the lm-sensors APIs, but as fate would have it the desktop died in a rather interesting way.
I decided to purchase a new, higher wattage power supply even though the budget doesn't allow for it. Got a 760W one which actually has all the right connectors so I don't need to have a case full of adapters. Woo! Hopefully when that arrives and I install it the computer will come back from the dead ...again.

In the meantime I guess there's nothing stopping me from doing it with my netbook. Wouldn't mind writing some handy utils to get some of the rust off my name again in my bid to claw my way back into being a productive individual.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

I just hooked up a thermal sensor made in the 1990s ("Hot Little Therm") to a system running Ubuntu 12.04. I was able to compile the source code, last updated in 1997, and it ran just fine.

I was pretty impressed that some mid-90s Unix code was able to compile unmodified and without any errors on a 2012 Linux install.

I love when that happens. As long as they weren't exploiting the compiler or the program includes references to specific APIs then it usually can. I recompile KEGS regularly which stalled out years ago. Done an early version of Basilisk because I wanted Classic support, some ancient DOS or other programs which I found which do what I want (usually need a minor I/O massage but that's about it) and that sort of thing.

ANSI C is such a useful tool.

If only I could get RHIDE to compile on a modern system I would be happy. For those unfamiliar it's essentially a clone of the Turbo C++ text mode IDE. Funny thing is it came on a CD with my old SAMS C++ in 24 hours book, of which all the examples still compile perfectly by the way. It's also the only SAMS book I've ever actually liked. It's still my brain fart bible.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
X question here. Is there a way I can tile windows in XFCE? Because I'm using a widescreen HD monitor and programming, plus I'm down to one monitor it'd be nice to be able to neatly tile things rather than screwing around with trying to drag things to the right size. I miss things like the "tile windows" option in ...was it Windows 3.1? I don't know. Anyway I want that.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I remember that from DJGPP. Would be nice to run that in Linux.

It should, with the TurboVision lib, but that's where I fall apart a little.

Anyway I've got another C issue right now. It's just plain refusing to compile anything with curses in it. curse.h is where it should be and everything seems right. Tried it with code::blocks and just straight text and gcc. It's refusing to acknowledge anything in curses.h with a whole stack of undefined references to...

I'll get through this one. All I wanted to do was start on that damned sensors program and wanted to use ncurses. Maybe I'll worry about displaying it later.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Didn't even think of replacing the WM. I used to mix and match all the time. Sometimes it would even do it for me! Might have been the second last distro upgrade it ended up with something like Gnome or XFCE with E16 as the WM. Don't know how that happened. As cool as it was I changed it back.

ToxicFrog, thanks for the advice. I've decided to hold off doing any more until I've shaken this stupid flu. Being sick makes me stupid.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
A couple of widely varied questions here.

First one: Mint 12 x64, USB hard drive, AMD 64x2 1000+, 4gb RAM. nVidia GeForce 8800GTX.

Why the hell are compositing window managers either slow or totally bugged out for me?
Mint was set up for Cinnamon before I plugged this hard drive in. I had to extremely slowly blunder on through on a barely responsive system to install XFCE.
Gnome 3 is equally bad. Was just playing around in e17 and found it has a compositing option too. Enabled that and did my rather silly "grab the window and wiggle it around" test for responsiveness. I have strong memories of compositing WMs responding a lot better to that test than stacking WMs. Even e17 fares worse but thankfully not a total disaster like Gnome 3 and derivatives.

The nVidia drivers are fine. The fact that it can run Minecraft fullscreen with HD textures and far rendering distance with good framerate confirms that for me.

Is there some xorg.conf entry or something that needs to be tweaked?

Second question:

Yo may have noticed in the first question that I said I'm using a USB hard drive. Thank you Linux for letting me do that. Recently the desktop died again after a short period of activity. It locked up during a file transfer from DVD to hard drive and I didn't notice for a while because I wasn't at the computer. After that the best I could manage was the initramfs prompt. Then the computer started complaining about a USB overcurrent and shutting down, then it'd just turn off as soon as I'd try to turn it on.

Replaced the power supply with a stronger 760W unit. Still the same. Cleared the CMOS. Got it to power up. Got the USB overcurrent error again. Changed the power feed for the rear USB from +5vSB to +5v. That worked.
Still kept getting dumped to initramfs prompt after a shitload of media errors. Not good. Tried booting XP x64 which was also on that drive. Gets stuck on the Windows logo loading screen.
Tried booting Mint off the USB drive. Same thing happened. Tried booting Android 4.0RC off a USB stick. It just locked with a black screen.
Tried Lucid x64 live disc. It died too. Tried Haiku live disc. It booted but had no knowledge of the hard drive.

I had a poke around in the initramfs minimal boot after that, trying to mount the partitions. sda1 (/boot) could be mounted just fine. The ones after that it tried but failed. Mostly bitching about bad superblock etc.
Now what I want to ask is if there is a way of suppressing linux from looking at the hard drive unless I let it? That way I have a chance at trying some recovery tools or at least one of the 'fsck utilities. It's a bit hard to do if it brings every OS to its knees at boot.

I have no bloody idea what happened by the way. Yes the USB thing worries me and no I can't explain it. I've only had this board a few months since the last one died from what I believe was being bent slightly along the GPU. No I have no idea how that happened. One of the plastic spacers had dislodged.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Regarding my first question I've been doing some research. Apparently the current nVidia drivers have some pretty major problems. Have to wonder what aspect could be bugged to make them behave that way. It just seems to be confined to desktops. OpenGL programs work fine. GLXgears still gets about 9000fps too so it's not running in software. I don't know.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Zom Aur posted:

What version of the nvidia driver are you using?

edit: I know there is a newer version but there seems to be something horribly wrong with either various distribution file servers overseas or there's something awfully wrong with the international pipes. I'm lucky to get 5k/sec right now whereas the Aussie mirrors of the ubuntu repos are still as fast as they should be.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 19, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Zom Aur posted:

Yeah, the newest "stable" one is 295.*, which is what I'm currently using. Apparently, there's also a 302.* in beta. I think ubuntu has a way of always installing the latest driver, and that should work in mint too, but I'm not sure. And I don't know if they keep the driver in their repo or if it's just an installation script to download and install the driver from the nvidia servers.

You could also try switching to nouveau temporarily, but I don't know how easy that'd be.

It's not hard to switch, but last time I tried it it was a bloody train wreck.

There's the additional drivers thingy, ubuntu repos, the run script or I think it's called x-swat on ppa.launchpad.net which is what I'm currently attempting because that version is newer. I say attempting because for some reason I'm only getting 5k/sec through all the main ubuntu distro servers today. Don't know if I said earlier but the aussie mirrors are fine. trouble is launchpad doesn't seem to have a mirror.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Update. The driver finished downloading some time last night while I was in bed. I restarted to be absolutely sure the right modules were loaded. Compositing window managers now work. In fact I'm typing this from within Unity and it's still the unusable pile of poo poo I remember it being. Well, from my perspective anyway. A face full of icons doesn't mean poo poo to me and the search is kind of clunky but can be useful.
The bottom bar they added for Mint is still lag-tastic. I still find it faster to press F12, a few characters of the program I want, tab and '&' than dredging my way through the headache.

e17 started working again too. Did you know their config files are binary? They lost a lot of points off me instantly when I discovered that. Silly me then played around some more, tried indirect openGL and broke it again a different way. I can tell you my experiment with e17 that composite is slower with window manipulation and OpenGL accelerated composite is slower still. No I don't know why. That performance issue doesn't extend to other shells / WMs / whatever you want to call them.

edit again:

I should ask where are the main Ubuntu servers hosted? Also is anyone else having severe issues with speed with them?

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 20, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Wow looks like I didn't get the reply finished today before I left.

uh... when did that character count and reply saving thing appear?

Aaaaanyway I've never seen any signs of slowness resizing with nVidia chipsets and if I were having performance issues to the point where I'd need to have outlines for moving windows it'd be used as a doorstop. I like some of the more useful features of compositing window managers but I can take them or leave them.

I read somewhere yesterday that the compositing support in e17 was meant to be left until later but they threw it in anyway so whatever I guess. Gnome 3 is a piece of poo poo still, but at least direct hardware rendering works now. Window-y things are fast at least.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Like, this morning.

Well that's good. I haven't been oblivious to it for three years or anything.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just had something a little odd happen. Mint 12 x64. Cinnamon shell. I opened chromium and it was tiny like that Compiz feature that thumbnails windows. It was full size in the desktop switcher.

Is this a bug or a feature? If it's the latter how do I reproduce it, if it's simple that is? Otherwise couldn't care less. Been giving Cinnamon another shot and will probably end up dropping mack to XFCE or something when the SSD arrives and I reinstall.

Oh second question!

Recommend me a distribution.

Been using linux since the '90s. Hopped across between the different camps a few times. My recent shift from Ubuntu to Mint is because Ubuntu has always shitted me. I started using it a few years back for some reason. I think it was something to do with Debian's installer and my hardware.

After using mint in a VM for over a year I decided to install it instead of ubuntu because it was a step back in the right direction.

I think perhaps I'm considering the following: an ubuntu or debian derivative mint, or debian. I'm also open to other suggestions. After all that's what VMs are for. Try before you buy, not that I'll be paying.
If Haiku had better hardware support and easier recompiling of linux binaries I'd even consider that because it's a home machine that I use for "serious" stuff and BeOS was always awesome. Dark days we live in, people. The golden age of computers has passed, but at least they are faster and have more storage I guess.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward Debian. It's currently installing in a rather restricted VM right now. 8gb of storage max. Taking forever too. poor USB drive. C'mon SSD, hurry up and get to me!

Sure it's only the installer but so far I'm happy. It's asking me the right questions and it hasn't burst into flames yet.
Speaking of which, please tell me that at least some of the old keyboard shortcuts are still intact for things like xkill and hopefully resolution changes. Both of them have saved me so much grief when X goes wonky. Ubuntu doesn't have them because I think user friendly is really synonymous with idiot proofed.

One thing I miss so very much about Debian is the order. As in these files go here. those files go there. Not Ubuntu's godawful mess that has me spending half an hour hunting for a configuration file in all its disorderly clusters of poo poo.

With hardware, nothing of that PC remains here. Different computer. Although this is almost a different computer to what it was earlier in the year. I think the only things left are the RAM and the CPU. Not all upgrades though unfortunately. A massive run of bad luck destroyed pretty much every piece of the computer in multiple rounds of snowballing failures. It's almost back to something usable again. When the SSD arrives it'll be good enough. The motherboard still sucks but it mostly works. It got damaged in the last round of failures, but it was a replacement for the previous better motherboard which shat itself a few months ago.

Anyway I digress. I've been liking Mint once I give it access to the missing things which I get from ubuntu, but then I end up with ubuntu creep. Especially because I use experimental repos and that sort of thing to get what I'm after.

mint is very functional out of the box, but I still feel like I'm fighting it. I like my OSes to be submissive and not try to tell me what it thinks I should do.
I destroyed Ubuntu a few times in short order when I started using it for that very reason. I knew what I was doing and it had to have its say and autofucked some very carefully hand crafted configuration files making the system unusable.

text editor, I'm not sure what you saw is the same bug. GTK can't do tiny windows like that. It's only compositing WMs that can do things like screw with the scale of an entire window, borders and all. I should say, unlike the compiz thumbnailing, the chromium window still worked exactly as it should. It still took inputs, which was kind of weird.

I'm thinking I'll chuck LMDE in a VM too and see what it has to say for itself.

SUSE can stay with servers for now. perhaps when I get around to setting up a dedicated everything server it can live there.

One last thing from me. I saw kfreebsd installers on the debian site. So tempted.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

text editor posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was the same bug, but thinking back both Gnome2 and XFCE that I used were on Linux Mint as well - they enable compositing on everything

Oh I see. I usually don't using compositing on things. Especially not with XFCE et al. Mostly because OpenGL can flip its poo poo sometimes when resuming from sleep or with buggy hardware accelerated code, which tends to happen when I'm working on OpenGL, SDL or whatever and don't mind my Ps and Qs while trying something out.

I'm leaning back towards the Debian side of the force. might give LMDE a try. I like Debian and I like Mint. What could possibly go wrong (except for some things not existing in the repos like code::blocks)?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
+

text editor posted:

I get what you mean, I always try to leave compo******************************************siting off too because of how awkward it can be and how useless lots of those animations are, the only reason I leave it on Mint(s), and the only reason I believe Mint leaves it enabled initially, is because it is apparently a requirement for the Windows Aero Snap-like functionality they added.

edit;
by the way, you might wanna check out this article;

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives

That is an excellent article. Thank you for that. I might sort out the partitioning before attacking it with an installer. or not. Depends on how clever Debian's installer is. might need to have a look at that. Installing LMDE by the way. I think it's just about finished burning to DVD. One of the constants with ubuntu is the startup disk creator sucks balls. That and I couldn't be bothered dd'ing it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Stupid stupid stupid me. For some idiotic reason I downloaded the Cinnamon version of LMDE. Of course it's useless. It uses its absolute power to absolutely corrupt the display and essentially kill the computer needing a hard reset. Every single time this is the result using composting WM for me out of the box. I need to spend a lot of time beating it into submission. Should have learned from previous experience I can't use live discs with them as default.

Oh hey live disc. Didn't occur to me that it was a live disc vs. Debian's installer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Keito posted:

Are you using ATI hardware and the official drivers? I've never had any problems with compositing features on my desktop using Nvidia hw, waking up from suspension working perfectly as well.

nah. using nvidia. Had the same problem with three... or maybe four different generations / chipsets, three different motherboards... different systems really etc.

Well, I'm bailing on LMDE. Just wasted a couple of hours trying to do more than getting it to load until X, filling the screen with poo poo and essentially locking.

I had to think for a while about how I got mint on to the computer in the first place. It was slow, painful and I was essentially blind. The old noveau drivers were still totally poo poo but didn't lock it completely. I managed to struggle through the corruption until it was installed, got the nvidia binaries on there and it was all good.

now it just locks up again. Debian however has a straight lace installer. Just about to reboot again and give it a try. Given how long it takes to reboot with the USB drive I'm currently running off this will be the last attempt for the night, successful or otherwise.