Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helixxo
May 2, 2005
edit: might have figured it out, one second..

helixxo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helixxo
May 2, 2005
I installed linux (ubuntu) for the first time and am looking for drivers for the Gigabyte EP35-DS3L mobo. There seems to be some files with linux in the title on the driver cd that came with the mobo but I'm not sure what to do with them.

VV Ah, I see, thanks

helixxo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 1, 2008

helixxo
May 2, 2005
I have a question about freeBSD is that allowed?

I don't have much *nix experience. This morning I installed freeBSD on a laptop as a trial and the internet on it works. Then I installed it on my desktop and left windows XP as the primary OS. I don't seem to be able to connect to the internet from freeBSD but I can from windows (although for some reason it seems to take a second time in a row booting into windows for it to work, when I switch from freeBSD to windows I can't connect to the internet)

Here's pictures of what I get from ifconfig

laptop, working internet:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

desktop, no internet:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I've tried is messing around with the network configuring options under sysinstall for an hour but no avail.

edit: internet is regular adsl w/cat cable to modem

helixxo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 1, 2008

helixxo
May 2, 2005

Megaman posted:

Make sure your /etc/rc.conf has ifconfig_ed0="DHCP" if you are looking for dhcp, static is like any other UNIX machine. Then restart networking with /etc/netstart
I edited that line onto the end of the file, didn't seem to change anything.

helixxo
May 2, 2005

Megaman posted:

Looks like your eth0 is rd0 from what ifconfig is telling you. change that and use netstart
Well it seems to make some recognition of my ethernet card and auto-assigns "re0". How do I change it?

helixxo
May 2, 2005

Megaman posted:

I'm not sure, but I guess I also want to ask the question why would you need to as long as it works? From what I know BSD detects devices with names slightly different from Linux just as Solaris does as well, is this a normal hardwire jack on a motherboard or LAN card?
I thought you just said I need to change it. Yes, normal jack into mobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helixxo
May 2, 2005
Ah, got you.
I fixed it, just had to put in "ifconfig re0 up" heh. Thanks for the help

VV thank you, that's what I was looking for :) It's not too late I'm sure I'll need more help.

helixxo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 2, 2008