Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Anyone have any suggestions for really lovely hardware?

Specs:

Pentium III - Dual processors
512 MB RAM
18 GB HDD
CD-ROM ONLY (DVD is NOT supported, neither is USB booting)
lovely ATI Mach

What happened was I had the box setup running RH9 using YUM to update. Everything was fine until my boss demanded a file server be setup ASAP and use the current hardware. I wasn't around that day so he gave the job to another worker who has no experience with linux and simply ran commands (he found on the internet) while logged into root. I came back and the machine wouldn't boot properly and was basically totally hosed. We have backups so we are okay.

Only things needed are: VNC, SSH and KDE. It needs a GUI simply because a certain software package we use (theoretical chemistry calculations) only works in linux (actual req. say RH 6.2 or greater, Mandrake 7.0 or greater, SuSE 6.3 or greater, Generic Linux [kernel 2.2, XFree86 3.3, glibc 2.1]). Though the software is dated it has one feature that out does all the new web based setup we have so we would like to keep it around.

I'd rather not run RH9 anymore as it is dated fairly badly so any suggestions towards something minimal would be appreciated.

--
Edit: KDE is preferred over GNOME because of how the program visualizes and allows for multiple VNC sessions by different users using the same program. It is restricted to local so vnc security isn't a huge issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
If we didn't need a GUI it would be nice but the part that worries me is I have no clue how this is going to behave on other distros other than RH9. The machine is drat well aged and replacement just won't happen due to frugal bosses.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Registration key fuckery makes that pretty impossible. It is generally a pain in the rear end anyway. Tried Fedora Core 5 (old discs I had lying around) but there seemed to be an issue with the video drivers (ATI bullshit) giving blank screen upon starting x. Tried a bunch of possible fixes and no luck.

Worst part of it is the drat CD drive. Each takes like 5-6 CD's where if it was a DVD you would only have a single disc.

Tried Arch and it didn't seem to want to setup very nicely (random freezing during setup (not just hanging, full on freezing that left for hours would do nothing) and generally not being cooperative. Might just bite the bullet and try Fedora 9 and see if it will play nice.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Peanutmonger posted:

Do you mean remote VNC sessions, or X forwarding? X forwarding may be an option if everyone has an X server on their desktop, but if they plan on running long processes it might not work out so great.

Alternatively, if you need X to run on the server but don't need it (and/or can't get it to work) on a real display, try using 'Driver "dummy"' for your video device, just remember to set "VideoRam 32000" or something large enough to hold the frame buffer. When you fire it up, you can use the Xvnc module or x11vnc or whatever to vnc to it, and enjoy.
Sessions have to be long lasting (hours, days and sometimes even weeks). Most users won't have an X server. Right now I am going to see how SuSE runs on the machine. Seems good so far after using some boot options to get it to install instead of just stalling.

Server doesn't need to have a local GUI but I myself am not that great with *nix and don't even know what to do once I have it up and running. I may give some of the helpful people above a private message if this bastard machine ever cooperates. Our cluster runs SuSE I believe and that performs very well so we will see.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Everything new I tried tends to lock up after install (if I get that far). Think it may be a problem with the GUI.