Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

JammyB posted:

I've been using Ubuntu 8.10 since December and I'm really getting into it but I must say the performance compared to XP is quite disappointing, particularly using Firefox.
You just made me think of this recent article.

Wouldn't call your computer slow after looking at the specs, it's should've got enough power for GNOME and web browsing. Actually I had a computer pretty much like that a few years ago, ran quick it did. Maybe it's the RAM? Do you have any swap space? I've got 2GB of RAM and a 256MB swap disk, and the swap disk is used 100% in addition to 1.2GB of the RAM being in use. Firefox gobbles the most memory of all my apps. You can see what's slowing poo poo down in GNOME's System Monitor. And yeah, maybe you should try XFCE. It's not like you'll have to reinstall, you could just "aptitude install xubuntu-desktop" and log in an XFCE session instead of GNOME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

JammyB posted:

Thanks for the reply. Running Firefox, Rhythmbox and Pidgin - the System Monitor reports that only half the RAM is in use, and only a few megabytes of the 1gb available swap are in use. The CPU seems to idle around 50% and regularly peak when changing tabs or loading a page. The low swap use seems fishy to me but if this is all true I suppose the CPU must be the bottleneck. I didn't realise Xubuntu would be that easy though, I'll definitely be give it a go on the weekend.

Maybe you should look into using another web browser? First I'd try Epiphany, it's a pretty solid and somewhat lighter browser. I used Epiphany for a long time until Firefox 3 shipped, and there are still some features that are better in Epiphany, but ultimately Firefox 3 ended up as my favourite. Epiphany is also Gecko based, but it's done in GTK+ as compared to Firefox's XULrunner crap.

A friend of mine uses a WebKit-based browser called Midori on his low-power netbook, but it's still pretty early in development cycle and not a very good Firefox replacement yet.

djfooboo posted:

I have been experimenting with Xubuntu 8.10 for a couple weeks on my eeePC 900A. Everything is running fine, but when I try and add programs or manage packages, I can't. It says that my computer is unsupported (i386).
You usin' Synaptic to install packages or what?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

djfooboo posted:

That is the plan, but it never works how its supposed to is the problem. Synaptic is friendlier to me than add/remove menu though. Should I just install vanilla Ubuntu and see if it has the same problems? Maybe install XFCE over Gnome?

I've never heard of a problem like that, can you post a screenshot?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hughmoris posted:

If I'm new to Linux, and am interested in teaching myself the very basics of being a sysadmin, should I move away from Ubuntu to something like Fedora, or perhaps another variant?

Seconding Arch Linux. It'll make you configure things yourself, in contrast to the "user friendly"/"easy" distros that kinda try to make catch-all configurations. There are no graphical configuration tools, at least not by default, but the wiki is great and they've got an official bbs which is pretty active.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

GregNorc posted:

What's the best music program on linux right now? songbird?

Looking into a netbook for my next laptop, and iTunes is the only piece of software I haven't found an equivalent for.

Edit: I don't use anything advanced like smart playlists, just looking for something simple, like winamp was before they hosed around with it.

Songbird is pretty horrible IMO, but so is iTunes. Definitely not "something simple". If you like Winamp, how about using Audacious?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

sund posted:

quod libet is small and light while retaining a library. You can do some fancy library searching, but if you don't it's a pretty decent basic audio player.

I love Quod Libet, but it sounded like the guy really wanted something simpler. If he does want a library, QL is great. Another alternative is mpd along with Sonata or some other frontend, but QL is a lot easier to get working and has much better metadata support (mpd uses hardcoded values).

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Sounder posted:

So while i can only sync 5 gigs of documents and crap to online storage, I can still sync all the files I want computer to computer, since they aren't also being synced to online storage.

Mount your computers using SSH/something similar.

chryst posted:

What's the current favorite photo manager? Jaunty's default F-Spot kind of sucks, and it seems to down-size everything I import from my camera when it copies them to the hard drive.

F-Spot doesn't downsize, but yeah, it is written in Mono.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

sicarius posted:

EDIT - Does anyone here know of a bootable cd/dvd I can use to get to some form of command prompt to run fdisk? I started the Win7 installation and it doesn't seem to want to let me partition the drives before it actually begins the installs. I have the option to format, but don't see one to partition.
Get the GParted LiveCD, or just boot up an Ubuntu disc if that's what you're intending to install, and partition your drive graphically and easy. ;)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

waffle iron posted:

In modern versions of Linux you can have a swap file that has almost no performance hit versus a swap partition.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-swap-adding.html

That's really smart and easy, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll get working suspend now.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Drop The Bomb posted:

I am currently running a JVC sterio system connected to my computer via usb.
USB audio isn't always working out of the box/at all. If you want to find out what to do, do a search like "ubuntu <stereo system model name>", or ask for help again in this thread with the required information. :)

Colorblind Pilot posted:

I want to move my desktop completely over to Linux. Not sure what distro I'm going to use yet, but I think these questions should be general enough so that it doesn't matter.

1. I want to use Amarok or something other than iTunes for listening to music. I have an iPhone though. Is there a "Remote" type application for the iPhone that can control Amarok like you can with iTunes?

2. I understand I can boot up WinXP in a VM and sync my phone through iTunes there. Is this the best way of managing an iPhone when you have desktop Linux?

3. Can I have iTunes in that VM access my music library on the linux partition so I don't have to have duplicate copies of my music? If a song is added to my Amarok, would it automatically update in iTunes when I booted up the VM next time?

4. Can I upgrade my iPhone's firmware through iTunes in that VM or is that not recommended? How else would I get the firmware upgrades?

I'm going to get off the iPhone when my contract is up in about a year, but until then it's what I've got. Apple not supporting Linux is a pain and is why I'm leaving.

I don't have any iPhone, but I'll try answering anyway.

1. No idea, but doubt it.

2. Sounds like it, yeah. iTunes didn't run at all in wine last time I tried (for buying poo poo off the store with a gift card).

3. Yeah sure, you can use samba/smb to network mount your stuff, or eventually use something like VirtualBox's vboxsf (might be faster I dunno).

4. If you first manage to get USB forwarding to the VM working, I imagine firmware upgrading wouldn't be any more troublesome than music importing.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hughmoris posted:

Can someone explain the concept and how-to of rolling back to an older kernel(?)? I am dual booting Win 7 and Ubuntu. At my GRUB boot menu, I have the option between Win 7 and two Ubuntu kernels labeled something along the lines of Ubuntu 2.1.11 and Ubuntu 2.1.13.

My concern is that after installing Ubuntu, I follow random guides online to install codecs and other stuff I thought was needed. I did a lot of copy/paste from the CLI, and now looking back at it I don't have the faintest drat clue what I installed on my system. I'm a bit paranoid that I might of compromised the integrity of my computer. I'd like to roll back / restore to the original fresh install version of Ubuntu.

Any ideas on how to handle this? My apologies if I completely hosed the use of appropriate terminology.

You can't roll back your system by using an older kernel. The kernel is like a middleman helping the applications talk to your hardware. Even if you go back to your old sugar daddy, the memories together with your current one won't disappear.

Try checking your "CLI history log", that might make retracing your steps easier. Paste this in a terminal without the quotes: "gedit ~/.bash_history". By default the last 1000 commands will be saved there.

If that doesn't help, and you didn't backup or anything, I guess you'd have to reboot to go fresh. Just keep your /home around and it shouldn't be too much of a pain (everyone should slice their /home off to a separate partition to make life easy for themselves, even switching to another GNU/Linux flavor becomes a piece of cake).

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
You should look into mounting with UUIDs instead of device paths for fstab, because the BIOS sometimes mixes things up.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Zom Aur posted:

Even better, use labels instead. Way easier when you yourself can read it and know exactly what drive it is.
That's what I do! I've spent too much time carefully considering naming schemes and stuff for my disks and computers, that's some pretty geeky poo poo. Just thought it was easier telling him about UUIDs than making him think up names and apply them to his partitions.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Severed posted:

My question is, are GUIs pretty popular now with most Linux distros or do users still find themselves using non-gui terminals to do filesystem maintenance and all that stuff?
By "file system maintenance" do you mean renaming/moving/deleting files? If so my answer is no, unless I want to automate some process like using regular expressions to recursively move/delete/execute some type of stuff (or if I'm using a non-graphical system like my friend's server).

If you meant system maintenance in general, yes. Arch Linux doesn't come with any GUIs to edit config files, so I use terminals for that. GUAKE!

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
What distro are you attempting to run again?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I think I'd try to have a go at the computer with Ubuntu first, if you haven't done that already. It's pretty lovely but definitely the distro most likely to "just work".

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

bob arctor posted:

I'd like to build a linux box to function as a fileserver with the sole purpose of being a backup destination for a couple of windows servers, it would need to share via NFS (for vmware) and Samba to use as backup to folder destinations for backup exec. I haven't played with Linux in a few years I'm wondering what's going to be the best distro for this? I don't don't care either way about having or not having a GUI available if it makes a difference.

Just about anything can do that these days. You could start with Ubuntu/Ubuntu Server Edition, it's the currently most popular distro and loves holding your hand.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

vlack posted:

I've read that there's some work being done to enable hardware-assisted HD playback on Linux. Does this work at all? What type of system is required? Will it work with just any HD movie, or are particular file formats or encodings required?

I have an old AMD64 system and it'd be nice to be able to use it to stream media from my fileserver, but it's so old that I know it won't be fast enough to play HD. (I don't need 1080p, because my display can't do it. It can do 1080i, but even just 720p would be nice.)

Both XBMC and MPlayer supports VDPAU if you've got a decent NVIDIA card (I don't, but my computer's more than powerful enough to do 1080p). There's also the Broadcom Crystal HD card which XBMC is working on together with the company, which will make full HD playback possible on low-end devices through hardware decoding.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

enotnert posted:

Ive had major issues with unetbootin recently. . . Best thing is to check FreeBSDs site and find their "USB Boot" instructions, or google around. Unetbootin has gone downhill like crazy in recent months in my honest.

Yeah, unetbootin can be pretty unreliable. Images I create under Linux will never boot, while images produced the few times I've ran the program in Windows would occasionally work.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Apache is the most regularly used and best 3rd party supported server, but it's a real resource hog. You might want to look into nginx or lighttpd if you expect more than a few site hits.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

GregNorc posted:

Both methods have ended the same: Partial boot, up to the Ubuntu african noises, then nothing, nada. Just a black screen after that litle african chant.
Sounds like a problem with the X server and not necessarily the USB image. What kind of video card does your computer have? Back when I first wanted to to switch away from Windows, Ubuntu was the only one which managed to get the X server running automagically, all the other distros just gave me a black screen or errors after boot.

GregNorc posted:

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. I tried Wumi, but it just wants to partition off 30GB or so for Ubuntu, it doesn't seem to have a full install. (Unless I could just use gparted from within the Ubuntu partition to enlarge it's own partition and nuke everything else, but that seems risky)
That won't work. I've tried installing via Wubi for my brother's computer, and as it's installed within a image on the disk, at least that partition will be inaccessible from the system.

GregNorc posted:

Any ideas that don't involve an external USB drive?
If you're feeling comfortable enough to install a system which doesn't come shipped with any GUI in the fresh install, go get the Arch Linux USB image which is what the cool Linux fags with short beards use.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

GregNorc posted:

Someone suggested I use the alternative install cd, so I used unetbootin to put that iso onto my usb drive. This worked.

However, I only have command line access to ubuntu right now... how would I go about adding the various graphical elements? I have a Thinkpad X201, with the following hardware specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-520M
500GB 7200RPM 2.5" SATA
4GB PC3-8500 RAM
Intel HD graphics

Did you by any chance download the "server" image instead of the "alternate" one? If it's just not installed, it should be as easy as running "sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop" as FISHMANPET suggested. If not, there should be some errors.

The Intel video drivers are open source'd, so it's weird your running into so much trouble with your new laptop.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Zom Aur posted:

Great! :)

Sounds like a missing driver. What's your wireless chipset?

According to this wiki, his card should be supported by the iwlagn driver.

GregNorc, did you try right clicking the network manager icon and check that wireless LAN is enabled? Just in case it's been disabled by default.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

KeviNguyen posted:

-Are there any simple paint-like programs? I don't need gimp or anything, just somewhere where I can just maybe add some text and arrows.

If you like MS Paint there's gnome-paint.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I suggest you install GNOME slackbuild because you're used to it, but for extra credit give fluxbox a shot (do a full install, switch between them with xwmconfig) to see how the real hackers roll.
Real hackers learn Lua to configure awesome wm. :colbert:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Dradien posted:

Also recommended music/video players?
Video: GNOME Mplayer
Music: Audacious' GTK-mode for playlist-centered usage (think Winamp, I mostly listen to digital single releases these days), Quod Libet for database usage.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Arch is great and being up to date adds support for all kinds of new hardware, but make sure to follow the Beginner's Guide if it's your first time around, because you'll basically be setting the system up from scratch, so can be a little intimidating.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Zom Aur posted:

If you find it too intimidating, you could give Chakra a spin. It's basically just arch with KDE installed and a GUI installer.

There's also ArchBang which is pretty much is the same thing with OpenBox instead, but the project was started this year and thus is not as mature and polished as Chakra yet.

Chakra's KDE4 theme looks pretty drat nice, by the way. Haven't been able to stand KDE ever since checking it out on some of the first Knoppix versions, but it seems to have improved a lot (well, duh).

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Misogynist posted:

Don't get too attached to it. One of the main guys behind it died last weekend.

http://chakra-project.org/news/index.php?/archives/54-Sad-news-we-lost-one-of-our-own.html

Having been the project leader it will for sure slow down development, but it looks like the developers all want to keep working on his legacy.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
You should be able to do that with just about anything. If not GNOME, you could use a really lightweight window manager and file manager, and just add in some cdrom/usb automounter script/program.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

rugbert posted:

My ubuntu server wont boot when one the the HDDs is plugged in. Its brand new and theres not problem if I plug it in while its on. What error log should I look at to see whats up?

On my new motherboard when boot ordering got swapped around and the new hard drive got prioritized, instead of the one with grub on it, the BIOS would just stop instead of cycling to the next drive. You might want to check that out.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Any additional info? Using NTFS-3G? Might very well be a damaged hard drive.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Cosmopolitan posted:

Is there any media player, or plugin for one, that can browse music by album artist?

If you want a player that cares about metadata, try Quod Libet.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The Merkinman posted:

Don't see that package in Ubuntu's repositories

You should try harder.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/libc6-i386

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Bob Morales posted:

Is it bad that after close to 15 years of mIRC, I finally just started using a IRC client on Linux in a shell account?

Not if you've been using Windows all the time. znc works pretty well too.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Tried roxterm? With a little configuration it's become my favorite terminal, and has been working great in awesome on my end.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FISHMANPET posted:

What the hell is roxterm? I saw it recommended somewhere else, installed it, said "Hey, this looks and acts exactly like gnome-terminal! I checked the website, and the author said it started out as a bloat free alternative to gnome-terminal, but over time it has become equally bloated, so what is the point?

It's feature-rich, not bloated. There is a difference between those two terms.

I'll do storage space as a quick example of the differences. On my system, roxterm takes up 904KB when installed. gnome-terminal on the other hand weighs in at 8.9 MB. This is of course not counting all dependencies, but while roxterm basically depends on dbus, libglade, gtk2 and vte, gnome-terminal also depends on libgnome, dragging the whole GNOME ecosystem into the mix.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FISHMANPET posted:

I've never hit a situation where I wanted to do something that gnome-terminal couldn't do, and I don't feel "weighted down" by gnome-terminal's bulk.
It's not like just running a terminal could ever manage to be slow on modern hardware. I switched out GNOME on my netbook to make it less poo poo using, and as a drop-in replacement for gnome-terminal that doesn't try to take all its friends along for the ride, roxterm has been serving me well. I really like it's configurability too, although I'm suspecting most of that can be done with gnome-terminal as well, if one feels like lurking around with gconf. In any case, having desktop-agnostic choices is a very good thing when you're just running bare-bones window managers.

Misogynist posted:

How about "it resizes slower than KDE's compositing manager"
Hey man, let me know when you find something that doesn't!

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Hughmoris posted:

That got it working, thank you.
If you want a little security through obscurity you might want to forward another port (e.g. 19420) to the internal port 22 on your computer, if your router supports doing so. Having an SSH server running open to the world is the single largest threat to a GNU/Linux system so you should read up on securing it. :tinfoil:

NecroBob posted:

Thank you both for mentioning this window manager. It's definitely a little difficult to get the hang of modifying to my liking, but I think I've fallen in love with it.
Happy to hear that, bro. :hfive:

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Lukano posted:

That was my backup plan, but it doesn't give me the keyboard/mouse sharing on the laptop's host OS. I'm lazy :)

Run Synergy on the guest as well. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I use aufs2 to make four partitions across drives appear on one single mount point on my media center for easy library maintenance in XBMC. You might want to look into it, although I have no idea if it's wise to use for such tasks.