Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
What are people's opinions on running a software RAID 5 on Linux with mdadm? I'm building a new server after my current file server is marching towards deaths door and my web/misc server is now the oldest PC in the house.

Most things I've read either indicate it's all good, others say I'll get data corruption.

Finally, what would be an appropriate filesystem for this new raid drive? I always used to use reiserfs on all my HDDs, would it be suitable? I'm looking to virtualise all my servers, so it's gotta be suitable to store large vmware images on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

bitprophet posted:

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "tab shortcut"? As in, an example? Do you mean you want to type "ssh my<tab>" and have it expand into e.g. "ssh myserver" where "myserver" is a hostname you've ssh'd to previously? Or what? :downs:

I think he means like tabbed browsing, but for SSH windows?

Which I'd kill for as well, seeing as I have on average 6 Putty windows opened at any one time, two connections per server and it's a bitch to alt+tab between them all.

x1o fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 12, 2008

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Boody posted:

Anyone running Gentoo and Paludis?

I've a gentoo box that's been pretty reliable for the last few years. Needed the occasional trip to the gentoo forums to figure out what the hell was going on with masked packages but other than that no real problems. Wondering if there is any real benefit to moving to Paludis or just sticking with portage as it is.

I had switched one of my Gentoo VM's over to Paludis. The only real benefit is if you want more control over what's installed and better security features. It's a frustrating venture though. It might have improved now, but when I tried it, it was a huge bitch to get to work properly.

If your system isn't mission critical and you've got a backup, I'd give it a shot.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Ok, I've got the most retarded UPS alive, and no money to replace it. So I've now got to create the most convoluted shutdown system.

Pretty much, I run a Linux server with VMware Server on it, and it can't talk to my UPS. But not through lack of trying. However, the Win2k3 guest OS can talk to it. So I've got the UPS software installed and it's all working.

I know how to issue commands to a remote server via ssh (Putty and it's ilk) however, for the sake of security, I don't want to use my root account.

So, I created a new account "remshut" and configured ssh so it can log in remotely using a key.

How do I setup sudo so that the user "remshut" can run the command shutdown -h now without it asking for a password? Putting "remshut ALL= NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown -h now" into /etc/sudoers does sweet gently caress and all.

x1o fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 25, 2008

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Yes, but have OSS fixed the issue where you could only play one sound at a time? I got incredibly annoying when I had to restart Firefox just so I could get sound for a flash animation, because mplayer had monopolised OSS even though I quit the program.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Quick scripting question. How do I capture the output of a command using bash?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

With my first real foray into shell scripting, I'm writing a script which checks once a week to see if I have any updates, and also checks to see if there are any important or critical ones.

However, this script only partialy works. The checks for the important updates work, yet the critical ones don't.

Can someone take a look at this and see where it's all gone wrong? Also, are there any tips to make this more efficient?

The script can be found here: http://www.tempusconsto.com/update.sh.txt

Once I get it working I intend to use the one script to check for updates on 4 servers..

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Pavol Paska posted:

I am quite sure he will learn a thing or two fixing things Gentoo breaks now and then. :v:

I've pretty much learned to never apply the Debian stable philosophy to Gentoo, as that leads down the path to ruin. Don't update for a couple of months and you get to spend the entire day fixing what breaks. Especially since VMware is a fragile piece of glass that breaks when you look at upgrading the kernel.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

What's the best resource for Howto's and articles on how to use Debian? I've been pretty much a Gentoo user since Day 1, and now I'm looking to move over to using Debian.

I've worked out the basics of apt-get and all that, but I'm looking for articles on how Debian's init scripts work and how things are organised The Debian Way.

The Debian website is nice, but it's got me scratching my head in some parts.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

TheGreenBandit posted:

I realize that RAID-5 is naturally slower than RAID-0, but I didn't think I would have that much of a hit. Is there anything I can do to make this faster? Also, I've thought about using ZFS, but heard the LVM implementation was slow and a bit buggy still. Is this true?

EDIT: Looks like the array decided to rebuild shortly after I created it, so now I'm getting decent speeds again. :confused:

Even though you've got it working again, I'd use hdparm to tune each drive, then tune the file system on top of it. This should increase the performance a little bit more.

But yeah, MDADM does automaticaly rebuild itself every time something has changed.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

SuicidalSmurf posted:

So where should I start? I'm totally talking out of my rear end, but I was thinking of possibly having a port triggered on the linux box by a batch script on the windows box? Running Ubuntu if it matters.

Here's a quick rundown to get you started, I had a setup similar to this when I had a lovely powerwave UPS. You'll have to lock it down though.

1) Get Putty, PuttyGen and Plink from Here.
2) Use Puttygen to create a ssh key without a passphrase.
3) Create a new user on the linux box and give them that key (/home/<user>/.ssh/authorized_keys)
4) Edit the /etc/sudoers file to give that user the shutdown command only. (<user> ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown)
5) Create a Putty Session with the username and key you created, then save it as something like "shutdown"
6) Write a .bat script with something like (plink shutdown sudo shutdown -h now) in it.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Roctor posted:

My question is, if indeed I managed to delete my primary partition on my primary drive, how hosed am I?

If you can remember exactly how your partitions were setup, then you are in luck. All you have to do is recreate them, reboot and you should be fine. If not, there are some tools out there that can reconstruct partition tables, but I didn't have much luck with them.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

morts posted:

When I shut down/restart Ubuntu, it rather unceremoniously kills the VMWare Server process without bothering to shut down the VM, which more often than not breaks it and results in me having to spend a lot of time un-breaking it.

It used to be with VMware server 1 that it would wait for the VMs to shutdown before exiting itself. Looks like I wont be moving the VMware Server 2 in a hell of a hurry.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

morts posted:

Tell me about it....
Normally I remember to shut down Windows or at least suspend the VM if I'm lazy.
Occasionally (usually after a kernel update that Ubuntu pushes on you every week), I just go "yeah sure resta....gently caress" and get to spend half an hour salvaging my VM...

Ok, installed VMware server 2 and had a quick look around and our problems are solved.

Just log into the web interface, then click "Edit VM Startup/Shutdown Settings" then check the box which allows VMs to start up and shutdown with the server.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Quick Linux security question.

If I open the MySQL server to the outside world by poking a hole in the firewall, is this just asking to be raped by hackers? I've locked everything else down, and it only needs to be open for a couple of weeks.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

fletcher posted:

What's the best way to make sure my user account and the apache user/group can read/write a directory?

The way I do it is create a group called "web" than add both apache and your account to it, then set the permissions so that groups can read and write files.

Then you should be good.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Bender posted:

gently caress me :(

Welcome to Software RAID :(

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

Is the a jabber server that doesn't suck balls like ejabberd? Ideally, it'd authenticate against LDAP and support SSL, but if it can't than that's fine.

But seriously, gently caress ejabberd and the language it's scripted in.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

OpenFire is pretty easy to set up, has an option to auth with LDAP, and supports SSL.
Its written in Java though, if that scares you. I was going to try another server but once I played around with the web admin interface I kinda liked it and was easily able to add AIM/ICQ transports and other features through plugins.

There was a thread somewhere specifically about this, but I couldn't seem to find it.

OpenFire was just what I needed. 5 minutes to setup and now the office can start discussing random poo poo through jabber instead of over my desk and the Asterisk plugin just seals the deal.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

I've got a website that uses a 32bit payment gateway. Problem is, is that we're moving to a 64bit server with about 8GB of ram, with plans to ramp that up to 16gb if needed..

Can 32bit Linux play happily with this amount of ram? If not, is there a way to have everything else as 64bit, but just install 32bit PHP? (The payment gateway is a php extension)

x1o fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Where can I find successful SMTP login attempts in the log files on an older Fedora 6 server? Any sort of identifying string I can use? The server's running Sendmail.

From memory, they should be in /var/log/mail.info