Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Can anyone help me do this, or even tell me if this is possible?

Every time I start my computer, I have to go through a series of commands in the terminal to get my networking reconfigured. What I have done is allowed myself to route the wireless signal from my laptop into my Xbox, so I would be able to get on Xbox live without buying any unnecessary peripherals. Here is what I have to type:

sudo -s
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart
dpkg-reconfigure ipmasq
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

I wish to create a startup script to run these (as root) every time my system boots. That would eliminate the need for me to go through the circle-jerk of using the terminal every time I start my computer to get my internet working properly. How can I do this?

I am available as "mylesbouren04" on AIM if anyone would rather just talk to me. I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me, they are ignoring me on ubuntu's IRC channel :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

george soros irl
Nov 12, 2005

make friends and then buy & sell money always
Oh god can anyone help me out? I am in over my head and oh god :(

I recently have been trying to route my internet connection from my wireless signal into my directly-connected Xbox. In order to do this, I followed this guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=91370

After following the guide to the T, I found it actually worked. I was able to play my Xbox online through my wireless signal coming from my Ubuntu laptop.

To my dismay, every single time I boot (and sometimes randomly throughout a single session), I have to run the command listed under step 5:

code:
# dpkg-reconfigure ipmasq
There are several problems here. First, the command has to be run as root, meaning I can't even sudo it. Second, the command doesn't simply "work", but rather, opens up a blue screen in the terminal for me to hit enter several times. Once the process is confirmed and 'configured', my internet instantly works.

What can I do to make my internet "just work" every time it boots, using these settings? It is irritating and obnoxious to have to run this stupid command every time I want to use the internet on boot. Because of this, my girlfriend and other friends are unable to use my computer at any time, and I have to constantly get up to type scary commands before anyone can use the internet.

What can I do to fix this? Please help :(