Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is there a relatively straightforward way to ActiveSync an iPaq rx5915 with Ubuntu Feisty? The firmware update I need is in EXE form :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Running a Dell Inspiron 9300 with Ubuntu Feisty. How do I set up TV-out through S-Video? Fn-F8 does nothing :(

EDIT: Never mind, I figured out xorg.conf edits.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 11, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Can you USB tether your phone? I've had luck with that back when I was dealing with flaky laptop WiFi adapters.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
If you're just using Win10 for a single application, why not run it in a VM?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I had endless trouble getting nginx to work with https://butt.farts.com/webapp1, but everything just worked when I switched to using https://webapps1.farts.com/.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Turd Eater posted:

Sure, I'll keep this in mind. Were your remote-server webapps accessible to the outside world (bound to * or 0.0.0.0)? Mine aren't but I guess I might have to concede that set up.

They were, just because that was the easiest way to go, and then I handled all the access limiting through my firewall. Not sure if that's required or not, though.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I can shoot single-mode fiber out of my wrists

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mr. Crow posted:

Use the RPM Fusion repo for nvidia and it'll be painless.

This is the way and I'm horrified it took me so long to get on board.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

RFC2324 posted:

probably, but I am just trying to find a lazy way to package a couple of python scripts to hand out to friends who aren't super technical. unless win 11 WSL is WAY easier that win 10, thats probably more effort than its worth. Easier just to install python for windows and run it there

Py2exe used to be a thing, not sure if something like that might help for your use case or not.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I could swear I had this working at one point a couple years back, but is there any way to get an RDP server working on Linux that allows me to connect to an existing but maybe locked session, the same as I'd be able to do in Windows? xrdp seems to work, but only if the local session is completely logged out, otherwise you just get a black screen. GNOME's built-in rdp implementation looks like it might work on an existing session but only if it's explicitly not already locked. I have memories of having this work the way I want, probably on some version of Debian, a few years ago, but either I'm misremembering or this has become impossible.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is there any equivalent to xrdp for Wayland at this point? The only thing I've been able to find is Gnome-Remote-Desktop, which seems to support the RDP protocol but apparently can only be used if you're already logged in locally?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

RFC2324 posted:

why are all the rhel based WSL distros not free? wtf
even rocky is $0.99

I followed some instructions from here a while back to get Fedora on wsl2.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's been "eventually" for the last 15 years, however in the last ~18 months it feels like it's suddenly hitting the point of critical mass and maturity that 'eventually' now actually feels like a actual point in time and not an abstract concept. Personally I mostly interact with my linux PC over xRDP and the lack of a good RDP solution for wayland is what has so far kept me on x11. However KDE are working on a rdp server so there's now an actual route to me making the switch.

I'll have to keep an eye on this, thanks. I use xrdp constantly and have been wondering if there's a Wayland equivalent.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mega Comrade posted:

Intels GPUs are coming along really well. It's good to have some options at the low end now that Nvidia don't seem to care about it.
Hopeful AI will force AMD to finally make a CUDA alternative that's worth a drat for those that need that functionality.

Looks like AMD is/was funding some work to improve CUDA compatibility: https://www.phoronix.com/review/radeon-cuda-zluda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Kibner posted:

the file system structure and how to navigate around it using the terminal

also, how permissions work

Probably this, and learning some of the most often-used terminal commands. Otherwise, just start using it and Google/ask questions when you can't figure out how to make the computer do what you want. It's a lot easier to learn when you have an immediate need to know.