Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm trying to convert an old Ubuntu server to a VM with VMware. I got the machine converted just fine but in doing so a new MAC got created for the vnic. When I load the machine I cant get a terminal open through the gui and I can only seem to get the command line open if I boot into recovery mode which makes everything on the disk read only.

Is there a way through grub or through recovery mode that would allow me to open and edit the /etc/udev/rule.d/70-persistent-net.rules file? Even if I just delete that it should create a new file with the new MAC address I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

evol262 posted:

mount -o rw,remount /

Thanks that did the trick. Was able to get the updated MAC in the system and everything is running great now. One more old dell box we can add to the scrap heap.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've recently made the jump to Linux Mint on my primary home laptop in an attempt to learn and become more comfortable with Linux, and because I have a win10 work laptop and the OS bugs me.

I really foobared my first install by going sudo apt-get crazy and not knowing what I am doing so I'm going to format and try again. I have a few questions for my second attempt:

1. What is the best file system format for normal day to day use? The install lets me select from BTRFS or EXT4 and this ties in with the journaling/backup system from what I can tell. Is there a big difference either way? This is a newer laptop with newer hardware so performance shouldnt be an issue.

2. Any sites with good beginners information? So far I have been working through this site and it has been helpful:
https://linuxjourney.com

3. Finally has anyone used Cloudberry before? Pros/Cons? I use to use Backblaze on my windows laptop and thought I could pretty easily setup Cloudberry to use B2 storage and have it be even cheaper yearly.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Ext4 is an older, battle-tested filesystem that does't support things like snapshotting but is generally reliable. BTRFS is a relatively new filesystem that, IMO, should still be marked as highly experimental; it supports a bunch of cool ZFS-like features (snapshots, builtin RAID, builtin compression, online scrubs...) but is also prone to serious performance issues and weird hauntings like running out of space while still having lots of space free.

Thanks for the response. I'll keep that in mind when I format and start over today, I think the first time I actually went with BTRFS because it seemed fancier not knowing it wasnt stable yet.

ItBreathes posted:

I've only ever managed to bork my install when trying to install things outside of my package manager, and after the 3rd format I don't bother anymore.

Yeah thats basically what I did to a T. Had %90 of everything running fine, then thought to myself. Hmmm why dont I try installing this Steam/Proton business and see what thats all about. Lesson learned. It was working flawlessly before then and I was really liking it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

It sounds like this was probably a one-off and people have explained how you can get Steam in a better way, but if you ever want to do any more crazy experimentation, you might want to consider installing in a VM (under VirtualBox or something) and then taking a snapshot of the entire VM before trying anything crazy, then if you break stuff there's basically one big undo button to go back to a previous state of the VM.

You most likely wouldn't want to be playing with Steam in a VM though, unless you're just playing some old DOS games or something :v:

Thanks to everyone for the words of advice. I formatted using ext4 and started over yesterday and pretty much got things back to how I wanted them. Got Steam installed and working just fine. So long as I can play Civ5 I'm good. I'm enjoying playing around even though I am definitely at the beginner level with Linux. More and more Cisco stuff like our new firewall is running on FXOS which is Linux based so it wont hurt me to learn it some more.

My next steps are to get Rsync snapshots started and figure out how to get those backed up through Cloudberry using Backblaze B2.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I want to thank this thread.

About 6ish months ago I made the switch to Linux Mint on my home laptop and I havent looked back. The performance and usability difference between my old laptop and my Windows 10 work laptop is night and day.

Everything just works. I can play the few steam games I want to, web browse, run a couple old applications in Wine perfectly. For anyone on the fence that is OK having to do a bit of tweaking to get things running initially I would highly recommend it.

Its also had the benefit of making me a bit more comfortable in the terminal on the few occasions at work I have to do something on a linux server.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Was trying to think of ways to backup my home laptop, just using Timeshift to a secondary drive right now, and my Raspberry Pi.

My initial thought is to make a USB drive with Clonezilla on it, make an image and then upload them to a S3 Glacier bucket for offsite backups. Which I think is a good idea to do once in a while. But now I'm wondering if there is any software out there that could handle this automatically, to say create an image every 30 days and upload?

So now I'm wondering if I can run Clonezilla Server on another Raspberry Pi, schedule to create the images, and then upload files from that folder using Cloudberry or something.

Has anyone done anything similar? Is this a crazy bad idea? Should I just stick with a yearly image and be done?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well my home linux experience has hit another roadblock. Though overall I think I'm 1+ year into using Linux at home and will never look back. Its a wonderful experience.

My issue is my ignorance and specifically my ignorance with dealing with partitions and file systems through the CLI. It just seems to be something I do better with a GUI.

I bought a 3 TB western digital MyBook to use for external storage for my Plex server. I have it plugged in via USB and if I do a lsblk I see:
code:

lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0    7:0    0  93.9M  1 loop /snap/core/9066
loop2    7:2    0    97M  1 loop /snap/core/9289
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0     1M  0 part 
└─sda2   8:2    0 931.5G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0   2.7T  0 disk 
I used parted and ran:
code:
mkpart
mklabel gpt
File system type - ext4
Start 1
End 2.5TB
Then it tells me to edit fstab

I've edited fstab to include this line:
UUID=2650acfd-1a40-4404-abea-a0d8908f1d5b /home/username/docker/media-external/ ext4 uid=1000,gid=999

Then when trying to mount the new drive using:
sudo mount /home/username/docker/media-external I get this error message:

mount: /home/username/docker/media-external: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I'm not sure where I am running into issues?

My second thought is to just plug it in and manually move over video files for bulk storage which isnt ideal but manageable.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

you still need to use mkfs on it to actually format it.

Thanks! I think I am getting somewhere now.

So heres what I did:
Made the partition using parted.
Used mkfs.ext4 to make the file system.

Now if I try and mount it I still get
mount: /home/username/docker/media-external: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

BUT! Its at least showing a partition now!
code:
lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0    7:0    0  93.9M  1 loop /snap/core/9066
loop2    7:2    0    97M  1 loop /snap/core/9289
sda      8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0     1M  0 part 
└─sda2   8:2    0 931.5G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0   2.7T  0 disk 
└─sdb1   8:17   0   2.7T  0 part 

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

and now that I actually bother to read it, your fstab is bad. I'm not sure where to get a good example tho, I just use the man page because I've done it enough.

it should look something like:

code:
UUID=2650acfd-1a40-4404-abea-a0d8908f1d5b /home/username/docker/media-external/     ext4    defaults   0  2
your entry completely omits the last 2 fields.

Thank you. Really appreciate the help.

I was coming to the same conclusion, its something off with my fstab file and was pulling up the manual for it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Post the output of blkid.

Also, I find partitioning from CLI to be tedious. I just use gparted when I have to, or ZFS where I don't have to deal with partitioning at all.

Yeah I ended up just throwing the drive on another linux machine and using gparted to get it setup how I wanted. After that it was pretty straightforward to mount. Got it up and working and now I can rip my Simpsons DVDs in higher quality!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone here use Mint 20? Is it worth the upgrade to over Mint 19? I just built a new home PC and was wondering if it was worth the hassle to reinstall over 19 that I had laying around already on a usb drive.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Running Mint 20.2, was hoping that the recent upgrade would fix my random sound issues but no such luck.

Does anyone else have random crackling noise come through their speakers running Mint? It could be YouTube, a game, whatever and seems to pop up randomly.

The only fix I have is to kill pulseaudio and restart it and the application. This is getting old but I might just have to live with it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive now been running my home built desktop with mint for over a year and its fantastic. Its nothing special. Just an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with 16 gigs of RAM and a Radeon RX 580.

I'm not much of a gamer. It runs Civ 6 and Out Of The Park baseball just fine. The couple of windows apps I need to run work just fine with WINE. Web stuff works great which is 90% of what I do. Ive had the occasional sound issue and just 1 crash in a year, otherwise its been perfect.

So for anyone interested in making the leap I would say go for it! I'll never run Windows at home again.