Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
I'd like to preface my post with I've never used linux before. Right now I am playing with ubuntu server 8.04 and trying to get it running. I've managed to install the operating system and setup an openssh server to where I can at least connect and SSH into the command line.

What I am trying to do is setup a wiki with client information and quick solutions I've found to frequent computing problems, so that I or my co-workers can find each others solutions to problems that have come up. I am using mediawiki, mostly because of the familiar look. I've managed to install the wiki and I can now use it through the web browser.

My problem is being unable to upload files to the wiki. I've gone and made the appropriate variable changes the LocalSettings.php file so the wiki would allow it, but when I actually go to upload the file it says the webserver lacks write access. I've managed to find some commands which I think might help, the chmod and chown commands. I am somewhat confused on the syntax, and also who/what to give access to. The error message the wiki gives me is "The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver." If anyone has any insight on this it would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saliva
Jun 3, 2006
Its whats in your mouth
That worked. Thanks! I read somewhere that -R means recursively to the rest of the files, but what does the 775 do?