Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

AlexHat posted:

Well, has anyone had any luck install EVE Online then?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but the new Cedega version supports Revelations 2.

The hack in the meantime was

quote:

To get you going in the meantime, you can work around the startup issues by creating the "Local Settings/Application Data" folder under ~/.cedega/EVE Online/c_drive.

Also you may find Eve's linux thread here to be a useful resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Al Azif posted:

More tiling window managers: ratpoison, wmii, dwm, xmonad

I'm using wmii right now. I just wish there were better options for Web browsing mouseless (though I have yet to try vimperator or conkeror).

Assuming you're not stuck in the console, have you tried Opera? It's been designed to be pretty awesome re accessibility and you can browse easily without a mouse. After an evening of doing it when my mouse broke, I was almost as fast as with a mouse and actually faster in many cases (due to link jumping for example).

See http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/nomouse/

Also, an efficient keyboard layout will help speed you up even more, the Literary Moose has a particularly extreme one that you can download here:

http://lofotenmoose.info/opera/

But you'll probably want to try without before you revamp the keyboard shortcuts so entirely. Unfortunately I can't find moose's keyboard map diagram on his new site :(

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

No probs, one thing they seem to have missed out is the , key - hit it to search for text only contained only within links, F3 to cycle - lets you quickly jump around. That, along with shift+arrow keys should have you moving around nicely.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm thinking of installing ubuntu 7.04 on my home desktop, but I have a Radeon 9800 in the PC. Will this cause a problem? I've heard that some graphics card makers suck about putting out linux drivers. Should I have any problems?

Your graphics should be fine using the open source driver in terms of displaying a desktop, watching videos etc.

You'll only need the ATI drivers if you want 3d acceleration (ie if you want an accelerated desktop or to play games) - if you just boot into Windows for games then it may not be an issue.

Seconding the ATI drivers are complete bitches to get working though, its utterly random and bizarre. Try something like Automatix2 to get them installed - I always seemed to have better success doing things like that than actually using the ATI installer!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

crazysim posted:

If it makes you feel a little better.

It works fine for me in OS X!

I've now done it on 2 computers and my friend has also installed it (in all cases, uses the 'one-click option in Automatix2). It's worked absolutely flawlessly for both of us. I'm really really impressed.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

quick question: is there an Email program that connects to an EXCHANGE server for Linux?

http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/features.shtml

Looks like Evolution does it:

quote:

Collaboration Server support

Evolution includes support for Exchange 2000/2003 and GroupWise. You can configure Evolution to act as an Exchange client or a GroupWise client.

It will probably already be installed with any Gnome distro.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

RoundsToZero posted:

I can't believe Ubuntu doesn't have this by default. What happens if the X server can't come up for some reason?

It normally does, I've never had to muck around with inittab to get this to work.

Toiletbrush, what happens when you switch, do you just get a blank screen?

Edit: To be slightly more helpful, after not finding /etc/inittab on my latest Ubuntu install, it looks like they have switched to the Upstart system.

More info

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=292507

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

Edit 2:

I think the files you need are

/etc/event.d/tty2 which should have something like:
code:
start on runlevel 2
start on runlevel 3

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 4
stop on runlevel 5
stop on runlevel 6

respawn
exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty2
and it looks like /etc/event.d/rc-default is the file that points you to the specific runlevel.

Hope that puts you in the right direction!

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 19, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Splashy Gravy posted:

Here's an easy one. I'm running Ubuntu Feisty, and I grew tired of ATI's driver support. I have an Nvidia card I'm ready to put in. Are there any precautions I need to take? I've blown up linux installs far too many times to not ask about this.

There really shouldn't be any problems, Linux has always dealt well with me changing large pieces of hardware in the past.

As a precaution, you may want to change your video driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to vesa before you swap the cards out - it'll look like rear end, but at least you're guaranteed to get back to the desktop when you boot up again.

Then it should just be a matter of installing nvidia-glx and the relevant linux-restricted-modules package, change your driver to 'nvidia' if needed and it should just work. On my fresh Feisty install, the new 'restricted drivers' dialogue popped up and installed it all automatically, so you may be lucky and have that happen instead :)

Edit: Obligatory 'back up your files' and 'its probably a good idea to put your home directory on a separate partition' comments though.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 22, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

What are some popular Windows applications that won't work on Linux?

Using Wine, Photoshop doesn't work flawlessly. (GIMP is alternative for most of its functions). Some winamp functions don't work (eg playlist) - use amaroK as its better.

If you're willing to pay, Crossover office will handle MS Office, iTunes etc.

Perhaps if you told us what you use we can tell you if there is an alternative?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

invid posted:

2) How do I get it to work with 1024X768.

Open up a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)

Type
code:
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Scroll down the file until you get to the 'Screen' section. Here's mine:

code:
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		1
		Modes		"1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		4
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
	EndSubSection
EndSection
The important line here is the one near the top that says 'DefaultDepth' - yours will probably be 16 or 24.

Then find the subsection with that number in (so the important subsection for me is the one right at the bottom). The 'mode' numbers list possible resolutions for a particular colour depth, so you can only select a resolution that's listed on that line.

I suspect yours will show
code:
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
Simply add in the "1024x768" and you can then select that higher resolution.

You'll need to restart X, so save the file and log out. Then hit Ctrl + Alt + Backspace at the login screen to restart the X server.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

68k posted:

If I want to back up my entire /home/me to DVDs, and it is 16.7GB in size, is there an easier way to spread it across 4 or 5 DVDs than manually dividing it up by hand and burning it in K3b?

Dar is probably a good option.

There is a kde frontend called kdar if you prefer a graphical interface. It may well be in your distro's repositories so try there before downloading from sourceforge. :)

(Note, just in case you're a new user and using a gnome distro like Ubuntu, you can still run kde apps fine, it'll just install some extra kde libraries automatically - you don't need the entire kde desktop installed)

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Does anyone know if its possible to get an active desktop in Linux (preferably Gnome) similar to tsdesk? (large screenshot here) and site URL here.

The feature I really want is the note-taking panes at the top right - clicking in them allows typing and clicking out of them automatically saves the note in a text file.

Anyone seen anything like this in Linux? I can't seem to get Gnome to accept anything other than an image file as the background.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kristneder posted:

Hi. I've have just installed Ubuntu on my laptop, mainly because I wanted to try it out. But I've come across a minor problem, how do I connect my Creative Zen Touch to my laptop? And how will I be able to transfer music to it?

Thanks in advance! =)

Welcome to Ubuntu.

A quick google turned up these two howtos:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=199250

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=33040 (probably too old to be relevant now)

The amarok blog here from 2006 seems to suggest that Amarok should be able to do this as well now, so probably that is the best solution as you may well use Amarok as your primary music player.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kristneder posted:

Thanks =). I tried Amarok, but my player wouldn't connect to the laptop. =( But with Gnomad2 it worked as I first opened the program.

It's hard to get used to the new way of installing programs =S apt install and so on.. =(

It's funny you say that, I find it much easier to type 'apt-get install flashplayer' for example then go to the flash website, get past the adds, download the .exe etc :) Give it a little while, you'll soon appreciate!

If you don't want to type anything, Applications -> Add/remove gives you a prettified gui and System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager gives you a less pretty but more powerful gui to install packages from.

If you're struggling a bit with installing things, I would also highly recommend Automatix 2 - it'll make things like dvd support / video codecs, write-support for your windows drives etc etc a one-click matter.

http://www.getautomatix.com/

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 13, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

invid posted:

Is it possible to resize the partition on the fly (ala. partition magic)?

When you say 'on the fly', what do you mean exactly? I'm fairly sure you would have to unmount the partition to resize it - as its your root partition that would probably mean running gparted from a rescue disc/live cd.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

skroll posted:

It's actually fairly trivial, you're just going about it the wrong way. Check out gDesklets, I'm sure there is something in there you may find suitable. In fact, if you are using Ubuntu it's a piece of cake to install.

Thanks, I never thought of that for some reason. Many of the applets seem to be quite buggy upon first inspection, but I'll definitely have a good luck in this direction.

fatcat posted:

I realize that Automatix is helpful for some people, and lots of people don't care about proper system maintenance or administration or what have you, but Automatix can cause some pretty hairy situations and is pretty buggy. This page gives a pretty thorough rundown: http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html

Thanks! That's the first time I've ever seen someone substantiate their claims with an up-to-date and detailed criticism. Very interesting read.

Having said that, I'll probably still use it because :effort: and it takes about 20 mins to reinstall Ubuntu if it all goes horribly wrong. :)

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

invid posted:

By on the fly, I meant with the "/" still mounted.

I guess its not possible, after searching around :( Looks like I've to get a new HDD just to mount /vz.

Not a linux expert or anything, but I have a feeling that logical volume manager (LVM) is designed to do fancy things like resizing partitions possibly on the fly? Might be something to have a quick google about.

And just by the way, many people find it extremely useful to have /home on a separate partition (not least that you can reinstall the OS whilst retaining all of your settings for programs, personal files etc)

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

FallenGod posted:

I see that they were nice enough to offer DVD images of 7.04, but they are loving gigantic. Would I be right to assume that all the extra space is probably just devoted to including tons of optional packages with the OS and that everything is otherwise the same as the live CDs?

Basically, yes. I can't find a list of differences, but you'll probably just get the live/install cds on one or something. Certainly you're not missing out on anything you can't download easily later through the package manager.

As a random aside, I'm sure I remember burning a cd image on to a dvd as a kid. I think it worked fine, just showed the capacity of the disk as 700MB. If you're feeling bandwidth-starved, maybe try that, although perhaps wait for confirmation before risking a coaster.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kristneder posted:

I've tried installing the orig drivers (though wine) but those did not work =S? What should I do to make it work (as easy as possible - cause I'm a total linux newbie).

Just FYI to save you time in the future, you never want to bother trying installing drivers through wine as anything you do through wine affects only the fake windows install, not Linux.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Contero posted:

Are there any tutorials or reading material for getting used to linux terminal input and using the shell and all that?

I'm finding this one to be pretty good, although it does assume knowledge in the occasional place. It seems to be a nice balance in covering more than the basic terminal usage whilst still being easy to read.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Contero posted:

I plan to dual boot xubuntu and XP. How should I set up my partitions? Which should I install first? Will ubuntu be able to see my NTFS drive? Will I get that handy dandy OS selector on bootup? Which partitioning program should I use?

1. Set up one for Windows (make it the first on the disk), set up three for Ubuntu, one for root /, one for /home and one for swap. If you want to hibernate, make sure the swap partition is larger than your RAM. Having a separate /home partition is highly recommended because when you reinstall, all your personal settings for desktop and programs are kept, so you boot back into your old desktop with no need to reconfigure.

2. Always install Windows first - it doesn't play nice with other operating systems and will overwrite the boot sector giving you a headache if you install it second.

3. Yes, you will have read-only access out of the box. Write access can be easily enabled by installing the ntfs-3g package once you have the system up and running.

4. Yes

5. The Ubuntu installer will do it fine, as long as you're comfortable with the naming criteria. hda1, hda2, hdb1 etc. (Edit: see here) If you've got no data to preserve, then you can experiment with the easy 'installer does it' options, but if you're comfortable using a particular partition programme, by all means use that. Gparted on a Ubuntu live cd is a nice clone of partition magic.

quote:

I'm thinking I should install XP first onto the first partition and leave some unpartitioned space left over, then allocate the rest of it in the Xubuntu installer. Would there be anything wrong with that?
Nope, very sensible.

quote:

Also if I planned to switch to a larger hard drive later, is there a way to take an image of the drives, throw it on my USB hard drive and then partition the new drive to be bigger and dump the old images on there?

Yes, there are plenty of tools to keep images of drives in Linux, but will leave the howto to someone else.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 21, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

rugbert posted:

My question now is, if I were to get a pretty decent laptop (like an HP) would its extra features (like the media buttons on the side of the display ect) work under linux? I found out the hard way that soft touch wireless toggles do not work, and I dont want to waste my money.

This will really depend on the laptop make/model so you will need to do some research before you buy, including searching within your distro forums for the laptop.

As an example, all of the extra buttons on my IBM laptop work out of the box, whereas rather little works out of the box for my Acer.

http://www.linux-laptop.net/ is a good resource to start with. There are also companies that sell laptops with Linux installed, google "linux laptop" or try Dell, although I've found it impossible to actually purchase a linux laptop from them.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

dorkface posted:

I've tried "ifconfig eth0 down/up", and that produces no errors, while "ifdown eth0" gives an error that eth0 is not configured. "dhclient" does not get anything; it just tries four times then goes to sleep.

Is there anything I can do?

Could you post the contents of /etc/networking/interfaces? Are you using the network manager applet to connect as this seems to bypass the normal ifconfig commands (at least in my experience)? On the offchance you are using network manager,
code:
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager restart
magically fixed a similar problem for me.

The fact that with a static IP you connect but nothing happens suggests something is maybe wrong with the driver. Can you post the relevant section of the output of
code:
sudo lshw
as this will display the driver being used for the network card.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 2, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Edit: Welp, never mind.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 5, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I have what I believe is probably an easy Nautilus question. Somehow, somewhere, I changed the default to list view, sorted by name. The only problem is that by default, the sort is descending instead of ascending, meaning ZZZ is sorted before AAA and so on. I know I must be overlooking something incredibly obvious, but damned if I can't figure it out...

Forgive the 'obvious' response, but have you tried:

1) View -> Reset view to defaults

2) View -> Arrange items -> Reversed order

The reversed order switch appears to last between nautilus sessions for me when I change it.

Edit:

A more technical response:

Run gconf-editor from a terminal.
Drill down the menu on the left as follows:

/ -> apps -> nautilus -> list_view -> default_sort_in_reverse_order

That checkbox should do the trick.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 5, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

TheCobraEffect posted:

Okay, I did all this and it works fine until I get into RutilT. I go to load a profile and it gives me "An error occured. Please try again." I've tryed again a lot, but it won't connect. Is there an error log somewhere so I can see what's broken?

Thanks a ton for your help, by the way!

Just a suggestion as I assume you don't have much experience with Linux. Try running the RutilT utility from the terminal rather than clicking it from a menu - it's likely that you'll be able to see a much more informative error message(s) appear in the terminal.

This generally holds true for all Linux programs and is quite useful when troubleshooting :)

Edit:

Just from a quick google for your card and errors, in case the error messages are hidden, try something like this:

code:
rutilt rausb0 &> debug.log
(where rausb0 is the device name of your wireless card)

This will route all standard error messages into a file called debug.log

(Purely for mega-optional reading, http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/lpt/13_01.html may or may not be interesting on this point.)

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 6, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I have LC_COLLATE=C in my .bashrc file, but Nautilus does not respect it. There's a bug report out there, but it was recently marked NOTABUG. If Nautilus DOES respect the locale setting, how the hell do I change it?

I can't offer a suggestion as I'm not by my linux machine at the moment but AFAIK, isn't bashrc just used for shell settings? I'm not sure nautilus would even read that file.

Advanced nautilus options are found by running gconf-editor and drilling down the tree which may let you tweak some of the things that are irritating you. It's something like apps -> gnome -> nautilus.

Edit: From memory, try digging around in /etc/locales or similar.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 12, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Bonus posted:

So my question is, what are some really good resources (online and books) for really getting to know linux?

There are a couple of really good linux system administrators guides out there. Check out the long guide section of tldp.org as well.

One thing you may find useful if you really want to get into the guts of it all is Linux From Scratch which is supposed to have excellent documentation.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

ErikTheRed posted:

So this past week I made the obligatory step up from Ubuntu to Arch Linux. I'm liking it a whole lot so far, as it seems to feel a bit more zippy than Ubuntu in general. <snip>
Not much a question for the Linux Questions thread, but I just wanted to say that Arch is awesome.

Just wanted to say that you inspired me to make a switch, as everything seemed to be slowing down in Ubuntu as time went on.

I've been really impressed with Arch's speed and surprised by how much faster it is. I'm at a command line in about 10 seconds after leaving grub (as opposed to about 30 in Ubuntu) and can load Gnome in about half a second (about 10 seconds in Ubuntu) and things like opening my Home folder now happen instantly without the 5-10 second grinding of the HD that was beginning to annoy me in Ubuntu (same thumbnail settings etc).

I had a brief hairy moment when the madwifi package from the archives I manually downloaded was compiled for a later kernel than the install cd (the disadvantage of a rolling release!) but was able to compile and install from source as the kernel headers came with the base cd (wireless is my only connection).

Getting wpa_supplicant to work seemed a touch more complicated than necessary, but after some trial and error I got it working. The documentation wasn't in quite enough depth for my little Linux knowledge on occasion, but made it through with some googling. Spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why I was associating to the wireless point but couldn't ping anything - I'd never had to manually run dhcpcd before! ;)

All in all, a surprisingly fast and easy-to-use distro, given the complete lack of graphical admin tools. I feel like I'm learning a lot, but without being thrown in too deep.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Can anyone help me sort my Places menu in Gnome 2.18.3? Google is proving quite unhelpful in this case :(

Clicking on 'Home' or 'Computer' has the desired result and launches the location in nautilus.

However, trying to open 'Desktop' or another mounted folder for example returns the following error:

quote:

Could not open location 'file:///home/colin/Desktop'

There was an error launching the default action command associated with this location.

Based on some initial googling, I had a look in gconf-editor under /desktop/gnome/url-handlers in an attempt to find an entry for file:/// but nothing. I also don't seem able to add a new entry.

Accessing these locations in the file-tree pane on the left of the nautilus window works fine and inputting file:///path/ within the nautilus location bar also works correctly.

I was also expecting to find some relevant entries in /home/colin/.gconf/desktop/gnome/url-handlers but the various .xml files seemed to only contain an entry relating to Opera, rather than being a list of the various items in the places menu.

Thanks for any help :) Distro is Arch, although I suspect this is a gnome-specific problem.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

JoeNotCharles posted:

So it does more than just change the sources for you, apparently. I always forget it exists until I've already fiddled with the sources, myself - old habits.

Seconding this. When I used to watch the Ubuntu forums more closely, this was a common occurance; use the graphical update manager.

On a more personal note, I'm really not sure I approve of it, it does seem a little bit of a slippery slope away from complete command line functionality in Ubuntu.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

deong posted:

I was under the impression that using the graphical update manager would comment out any of the non official repos; and update the officials from feisty to gutsy. I think the problem with dist upgrade is if you have a lot of non official apps installed things can get wonky due to versions and such. Is there more to it than that?

Possibly I'm mistaken, although I'm sure I read a Ubuntu sticky saying it did a bit more than that - something to do with how it treats config files IIRC.

quote:

What is this about the apt-get vs aptitude? I thought aptitude just used the apt-get DB or whatever; and just used a ncurses gui? Does it really keep track better than apt-get?

This is second-hand, but from an explanation I read last week I believe it keeps track of dependencies better by remembering which program they were installed with. So when you uninstall a program it is able to uninstall those dependencies along with the program, unlike the default apt-get.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

teapot posted:

You mean, you get this error when you choose "Desktop" in menu but not if you choose the same in Nautilus, or enter the path in the Nautilus address bar?

That's exactly the problem.

Entering either the path ie /home/colin/Desktop or using the command 'file:///home/colin/Desktop' (to mirror the error message) in the nautilus location bar works fine. It's just the Places menu.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

teapot posted:

1. Do you have a file /usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop ?

2. Does /usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop file contain
MimeType=x-directory/gnome-default-handler;x-directory/normal;inode/directory;application/x-gnome-saved-search
?

Hi Teapot, thanks for looking at this.

1. Looks like it:

code:
[colin@desktop ~]$ ls /usr/share/applications/nautilus-*
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-cd-burner-open-iso.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-cd-burner.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-computer.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-file-management-properties.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop
2. Yes it does:

code:
[colin@desktop ~]$ cat /usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop | grep MimeType
MimeType=x-directory/gnome-default-handler;x-directory/normal;inode/directory;application/x-gnome-saved-search
Edit:

One thing to consider is that I don't really have a very customised Gnome setup, so am happy to wipe it and replace with defaults upon the next login. I thought I'd deleted all my gnome preferences anyway before installing Arch (basically eliminated all the hidden gnome-related files in my home directory) but there are several settings that appear to have escaped the purge.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 25, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

ChlamydiaJones posted:

:words:

The correct command for setting up a root password is just
code:
sudo passwd
It'll ask you for your own password, then prompt you for a new root password.

If you get errors at the above command, can you give us the contents of the /etc/sudoers file?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

teapot posted:

Looks pretty normal for me, so defaults should be usable.

In addition to removing or renaming .gnome , .gnome2 and .gnome2_private you need to kill gconfd-2 process, then remove or rename .gconf and .gconfd directories. On the next login they will be re-created with defaults.

How very bizarre. It reset most of my settings, but it didn't get rid of everything (the Home icon on the desktop was using an old theme for example) and the problem with the Places menu still existed.

I created a different user account as a test and everything worked perfectly. Even more surprising is that my mysterious unfixable HAL and gnome-volume-manager problem that I did a thread about in the Arch forums is also fixed in the new account.

Obviously my profile has just gone a bit funny, so think I will just shift my home folder and start fresh. Thanks for your help!

Prince John fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 26, 2007

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Bubba Ho-Tep posted:

Awesome. So I don't have to do iwlist scan then?

Correct. Network manager will do it all graphically, assuming its working. (nm-applet to show the icon in the system tray if its not there already)

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

It's not ascii, but Bzflag is pretty good fun in multiplayer.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Sorry for posting this, but the man pages for sed and awk are a bit overwhelming.

I have a file that contains a list of files in the following format:

code:
/media/disk-1/backup/foo/bar: filename
where bar is the name of the folder that the file is in. I would like to end up with a list of nothing but the proper filename so I can execute cp on them line by line. The exact folder location changes throughout the file.

I need to remove ": " from each line and replace it with "/" however the following command predictably doesn't work:

code:
sed -e 's/: ///' list2 > list3
presumably because the characters I need to use require being quoted or similar. I have tried quoting the two expressions with double and single ticks but with no effect.

I can't see anything in the man page about special characters - can someone help me out with this? Thanks!

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

covener posted:

:words:

Worked like a charm, thanks