Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

actionjackson posted:

On the details page for the HK receiver it says

Frequency Bandwidth (stereo) 20-20,000 Hz

I didn't list the 20,000 Hz because they both had that same upper limit, sorry if that was confusing.

I'll look more at the THD info, thanks. The $150 Yamaha was 0.2%, the HK is 0.07%.

If you have any comments on the HK receiver as well I'd appreciate it! I think it meets my needs the best. I think the cheaper ones that only go down to 40 Hz won't give me as much bass as I'd like. Also apparently the Jamo speakers suggest having a 120 watt receiver (and 100 watt at an absolute minimum).

Don't trust speaker wattage ratings. They're as close to base-less as you can get with made up statistics. Unless it's a "max power" rating. That will tell you how much nominal wattage they can handle before they explode.

At 1w from your receiver, your speakers will be producing 90db of sound pressure at 1 meter away from the speaker. That's plenty loving loud.
According to the inverse square law, that sound pressure level will decrease by about 6db every time you double that distance. So at 2m away from the speaker, the SPL would be 84db. Still very high.
There are calculators that do all the fancy math required to calculate how much wattage is needed to compensate:
https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/tools/calculators#amp_power_required

Those Jamos are 90db sensitivity rating, so if you want to hit 90db while sitting 1 meter away, you only need 1 watt.
But what if you actually sit 4 meters away? 32 watts
All the way across the room (10m)? 200 watts.

So if you're trying to make everyone in your house go deaf then get an amp with a really high power rating. But also check the THD measurement charts to make sure that the amp isn't producing a shitton of distortion to reach that listening level.
Because an amp that says is can "do 200 watts" most likely can, but it will sound like poo poo at that listening level. However it might be perfectly acceptable when you're trying to go deaf by just sitting a couple meters from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd say the main downside to HK is they pretty much don't exist anymore for components, that receiver is a 2015 model and listed at the bottom of their "speakers" page. Harman is owned by Samsung so it's not like they won't honor your warranty but don't expect a firmware update or anything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks for the very detailed info!

For reference I will typically be sitting 10-15 feet away from the speakers.

Here are the two other receivers I am considering:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN303/Yamaha-R-N303.html?tp=47041

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_779AXR85/Cambridge-Audio-AXR85.html?tp=47041

I would probably prefer the cambridge just because I think it looks a lot nicer!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the great receiver drought of 2020 due to be over at some point?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Is the great receiver drought of 2020 due to be over at some point?

Can I ask what you mean by that? I did notice that crutchfield only has like 15 receivers total which seemed pretty small.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All receivers will do 20Hz-20kHz. Frequency response is only a thing when it comes to speakers.

You’re not going to notice much of a difference in THD with receivers until you get into crazy audiophile land. I would rather save the $200 and get the Sony but that’s just me.

actionjackson posted:

Can I ask what you mean by that? I did notice that crutchfield only has like 15 receivers total which seemed pretty small.
A bunch of stuff is out of stock.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 16, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I assume we're between model years and supply lines are disrupted, so who knows? I was at least able to get a good deal on some speakers last month.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

All receivers will do 20Hz-20kHz. Frequency response is only a thing when it comes to speakers.

You’re not going to notice much of a difference in THD with receivers until you get into crazy audiophile land. I would rather save the $200 and get the Sony but that’s just me.

Not that I don't believe you because you obviously know your stuff, but why is it on this page, under "details" it says 40-20,000 Hz?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html?tp=47041

edit: I'm seeing what you mean about stock. The page literally just changed from what I saw an hour ago.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 16, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Not that I don't believe you because you obviously know your stuff, but why is it on this page, under "details" it says 40-20,000 Hz?

edit: I'm seeing what you mean about stock. The page literally just changed from what I saw an hour ago.
I'm a relative newbie when it comes to this stuff. Others in this thread are much more knowledgeable.

Again I'd point you to the actual product page: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s202/specs.html Crutchfield had a pretty major copy & paste fail

e: Something else may be happening here. While it can definitely go down to 20Hz, there may be some loss of power output so Yamaha may have only self-rated it for 40Hz. The reviews for the receiver are universally good and don't complain about bass. Someone else may be able to explain more clearly what's going on. In any case, I would go with the Sony.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 16, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks. I'll prob get the sony one then whenever it is available again. Looks like 14 gauge wire will work fine for that one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

actionjackson posted:

It's this:

Josh Lyman posted:

Hopefully Denon starts cranking out more receivers soon?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
It's probably outside your budget but the NAD C328 is a fabulous integrated amp and Safe And Sound has a refurb'd one for $450
https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/prod...ory-refurbished

It even has a Subwoofer Out connection.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My lizard brain really wants a NAD M10 even though in my heart I know I won’t be able to hear a difference. I think it’s the VU meter mode.

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

qirex posted:

Most of the receivers in that price range are similar if not almost identical. I usually tell people to check Accessories4less but their inventory is pretty thin right now. I'd say differences would be things like the streaming solution [MusicCast vs HEOS, etc.] and if you like the user interface.

Thanks. Probably going to go the Costco route with that Yamaha (TSR-7850). The reviews seem okay for it for what we are doing and a super easy return policy just in case it doesn't click with us. I had never looked at Accessories4Less but will probably use it in the future.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

My lizard brain really wants a NAD M10 even though in my heart I know I won’t be able to hear a difference. I think it’s the VU meter mode.

I mean... difference between that and what exactly?
I have had the pleasure and that thing is loving impressive. Especially if you consider that you don't have to buy anything else.
It makes my Vandersteen 2CE Signature II absolutely sing despite the fact that it's not impressively overpowered and my Vandys are power hungry.
It does feel a little cheap (it's so light WHAT THE gently caress??), and the vu meters aren't quite as hypnotizing as their analog counterparts, but I mean who cares, it's not like you're cuddling up with it at night or even staring at it all day long.
Bottom line is that it's sexy and does pretty much everything all in one box so it's not like it's a waste of money. I've definitely spent more money on dumber poo poo.

There's one in my ebay cart right now and I know I cannot in any way justify it until my basement is finished.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dumb audio question here as I've recently moved and am working on setting up home office very slowly. Biggest difference is now I live with my girlfriend, office is above the bedroom and headphone based listening is going to be way more used now vs. my Polks if I want to stay alive. I have a pile of source components I've acquired over the years, so that's my starting point here. Some were for my home setup, some for a work setup, but now that those are the same thing for now, this gear is all sitting behind me waiting to be hooked up.

I think I want 3 configs:

1. Speakers
2. Headphones over at my comfy reading / listening chair
3. Headphones at my desk

None will ever be used simultaneously, but thinking through likely placement in the world, 1 and 2 are going to be physically colocated (I'll run speaker cables around the edge of the room as feels like I'd rather those be longer than a long pre-amp run to the amp or something like that). My source will be my PC — I'll run whatever digital optical lines (RIP ground loops) I need to to the DACs. I own two Gungnir Multibits right now, so I'm kind of designing around those — one for configs 1 and 2, and one for config 3.

A picture is worth a thousand words, here's my current thinking (dots indicate stuff I currently own):

So, basically my question boils down to on the MJ2 (Schiit Mjolnir 2)... if I use it as a preamp, I'm 99% sure that means that I'm going to be burning the tubes in it when listening through the M22. I used to own a Freya, but sold it and am watching for an used Freya+ as I like its ability to completely turn off its tubes and allow me to use them only when I want too. Otherwise, recommendations on cheap (something with a decent pot) balanced XLR switch and/or XLR volume control? Seems like these would let me keep one DAC to feed those two sources, instead of putting two right next to each other.

If anyone was curious, speakers are LS70s, amp is NAD M22, headphones one are LCD-XCs and headphones two are HE400i. Hopefully any Schiit owners could check in here on what the MJ2 does...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Bottom line is that it's sexy and does pretty much everything all in one box so it's not like it's a waste of money. I've definitely spent more money on dumber poo poo.
I'd want to get new speakers first because a $2k+ integrated driving my cheap inefficient bookshelves would be incredibly stupid. I'm also still happy with my Integra, I'm just over my Sonos Connect and would also like to dick around with room correction.

I mostly bench race with expensive gear, I don't have the room to be constantly trying and flipping stuff.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Here is my situation:

Now that I am work from home, I have 3 computers with the standard 3.5mm line out. And I’m looking for a way to switch them easily.

Current setup:
Previously 2 computers were easily connected to my AudioEngine N22 via its two inputs going to my reference speakers.

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/amplifiers/n22-desktop-audio-amplifier/

I have an issue with grounding, my laptops don’t have ground so when things are all plugged in the output has some serious noise issues.

I have been popping one out whenever I need to use the other.

So what I am looking for is something to select one of three inputs and put it out to either my speakers or just to the audio engine to control the volume.

I looked around and found something that kinda might work ( Schitt Modi 3. https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1 ) but I need to get optical and coax out of two of them with some USB sound cards

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coa...+to+coax&sr=8-3

Is there something out there that can take up to 3 analog inputs, isolate them and then pass them to my little desktop amp? I’m guessing no except for $texas but I’m interested before I go down the tiny DAC to big switcher DAC to amp to speakers.

Thank you all with your audio knowledge.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to this stuff. Others in this thread are much more knowledgeable.

Again I'd point you to the actual product page: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s202/specs.html Crutchfield had a pretty major copy & paste fail

e: Something else may be happening here. While it can definitely go down to 20Hz, there may be some loss of power output so Yamaha may have only self-rated it for 40Hz. The reviews for the receiver are universally good and don't complain about bass. Someone else may be able to explain more clearly what's going on. In any case, I would go with the Sony.

the Sony is out of stock for at least another month apparently. Any specific reason you would choose that over the Yamaha? Because that is in stock at least

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is what I'd be ordering if I went with the Yamaha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Yamaha has spring terminals so you can’t use banana plugs with them. Just get a spool of Amazon Basics speaker wire.

The Yamaha doesn’t have phono input. I also thought it was a slightly weak on power for the week I had it, though the $600 Denon I had for a few days also seemed to be weak. I had to crank the volume above 50 just to hear anything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

The Yamaha has spring terminals so you can’t use banana plugs with them. Just get a spool of Amazon Basics speaker wire.

The Yamaha doesn’t have phono input. I also thought it was a slightly weak on power for the week I had it, though the $600 Denon I had for a few days also seemed to be weak. I had to crank the volume above 50 just to hear anything.

oh thanks for letting me know. I don't use Amazon but I'm sure I can find something on the crutchfield site.

I do already have a phono pre-amp.

I am still fine getting something a little nicer than this, like that HK one, or the Yamaha 303 one. I listen to music CONSTANTLY so I'm happy to invest a little more if I get better sound.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 18, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

oh thanks for letting me know. I don't use Amazon but I'm sure I can find something on the crutchfield site.

I do already have a phono pre-amp.

I am still fine getting something a little nicer than this, like that HK one, or the Yamaha 303 one. I listen to music CONSTANTLY so I'm happy to invest a little more if I get better sound.

Modern receivers are fairly interchangeable as far as sound goes. Spend your money on speakers. Or interconnects. Or buy old stuff which is more fun anyways.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Modern receivers are fairly interchangeable as far as sound goes. Spend your money on speakers. Or interconnects. Or buy old stuff which is more fun anyways.

I want something with bluetooth so it would need to be recent. Is attaching a receiver with bare wire difficult at all? I assume people like ones with banana plugs because it's easier.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

actionjackson posted:

I want something with bluetooth so it would need to be recent. Is attaching a receiver with bare wire difficult at all? I assume people like ones with banana plugs because it's easier.

It’s not difficult at all.

And you could get a Bluetooth dongle and hook it up to an aux input if that was your thing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BigFactory posted:

It’s not difficult at all.

And you could get a Bluetooth dongle and hook it up to an aux input if that was your thing.

I've heard the dongles are pretty bad from at least one person in this thread. Plus it's just another thing, and I always prefer less things over more things. The two cheapest bluetooth receivers are only $150 anyway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The six feet speaker wire is plenty, if I get the one with the plugs can I just remove the plugs and attach the exposed wire underneath?

The smallest length of bare wire is 50 feet, I certainly don't need anything close to that.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
It was from a while back, but I got the Atom amp for my setup based on recommendations from people in the thread.

It works great!!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'm trying to find a DAB+ digital radio. This is for the shed so I don't care what it looks like and it's likely to get dusty/cold/hot. I already have a nice DIY class-D amp with some bookshelf speakers that I want to use.

So far all I've been able to find are:
1. cheap (~$30) portable units with a built-in speaker and headphone out.
2. very expensive (~$500+) audiophile component systems
3. Some micro-hifi systems, but I wouldn't be using their speakers and they tend to be $300+. Also they don't often have line out if I want to use my own amp.

If I could find a portable unit that would run off mains power with line level (or coax digital!) out I would be set, but it seems like this just doesn't exist, and I don't understand why. I assume it's because there is a single provider of cheap DAB+ chips, and it includes a mono headphone amp and everyone just uses this. Has anyone come across anything like what I want?

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 19, 2020

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm trying to find a DAB+ digital radio. This is for the shed so I don't care what it looks like and it's likely to get dusty/cold/hot. I already have a nice DIY class-D amp with some bookshelf speakers that I want to use.

So far all I've been able to find are:
1. cheap (~$30) portable units with a built-in speaker and headphone out.
2. very expensive (~$500+) audiophile component systems
3. Some micro-hifi systems, but I wouldn't be using their speakers and they tend to be $300+. Also they don't often have line out if I want to use my own amp.

If I could find a portable unit that would run off mains power with line level (or coax digital!) out I would be set, but it seems like this just doesn't exist, and I don't understand why. I assume it's because there is a single provider of cheap DAB+ chips, and it includes a mono headphone amp and everyone just uses this. Has anyone come across anything like what I want?

If you search for "DAB+ adapter" on Google there are a bunch of products like this that come up, but I don't know whether they're any good.

You could probably just find a portable unit that comes with a mains adapter and use its headphone output, even if that's not ideal.

Stingwing fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 19, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

I'd want to get new speakers first because a $2k+ integrated driving my cheap inefficient bookshelves would be incredibly stupid. I'm also still happy with my Integra, I'm just over my Sonos Connect and would also like to dick around with room correction.

I mostly bench race with expensive gear, I don't have the room to be constantly trying and flipping stuff.

I hauled my heavy rear end vandys to a local hi-fi shop that accommodated me. Almost walked out with a C388 instead because they sound identical at reasonable listening volumes.

actionjackson posted:

I've heard the dongles are pretty bad from at least one person in this thread. Plus it's just another thing, and I always prefer less things over more things. The two cheapest bluetooth receivers are only $150 anyway.

Bad dongles sound bad, but also all bluetooth sounds bad.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sounds bad compared to running a cable all the way across the floor and using rca-cat5e adapters? that's the only alternative I can think of, but having a cable running along the floor isn't exactly attractive looking (even with most of it under a rug).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

actionjackson posted:

sounds bad compared to running a cable all the way across the floor and using rca-cat5e adapters? that's the only alternative I can think of, but having a cable running along the floor isn't exactly attractive looking (even with most of it under a rug).
If you're running Apple stuff there's AirPlay, there's presumably equivalents for other platforms/devices (Chromecast?). With Bluetooth itself there's technically different higher quality codec stuff like aptX but support will vary.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

japtor posted:

If you're running Apple stuff there's AirPlay, there's presumably equivalents for other platforms/devices (Chromecast?). With Bluetooth itself there's technically different higher quality codec stuff like aptX but support will vary.

I have a mac but most of my streaming is through soundcloud.

I'm sure there's some deprecation with bluetooth but I doubt I will notice it. Worst case scenario I can run a physical connection under my rug.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaakITdhBOM

if you guys can correctly guess the source for each of those nine segments I will be impressed!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 19, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I finally put in my order, getting the RS 202, the Jamo Studio S 809s, and the speaker wire. Total was 585 after everything.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you need any more speaker wire later, just get lamp wire at the hardware store.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LRADIKAL posted:

If you need any more speaker wire later, just get lamp wire at the hardware store.

Monoprice has wire so cheap it's not even worth it to go to the hardware store imo.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
That works too.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Monoprice has wire so cheap it's not even worth it to go to the hardware store imo.

I don't know about your experience, but lately (I guess, the past few years), Monoprice shipping / order processing has become slow. I sometimes (for XLRs) just get the Monoprice models from Amazon for a few extra bucks to not have to wait an extra week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

movax posted:

I don't know about your experience, but lately (I guess, the past few years), Monoprice shipping / order processing has become slow. I sometimes (for XLRs) just get the Monoprice models from Amazon for a few extra bucks to not have to wait an extra week.

oh that's unfortunate. I haven't ordered from them since the whole coronavirus thing started.