Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there a good recommendation for a basic 2ch speaker amp for just normal living room/bookshelf speakers? I know the SMSL SA-50 and SA-98E used to be popular but anything better emerged since then? Looks like the 98E is running about $115 now, but that may just be the “outdated model tax” if something newer has replaced it.

The Sunbuck AS-25BU/29BU also look ok, considering they’re around $50?

It looks like in the past Best Buy has run some heavy clearance deals on last year’s model of receivers. Is there any rhyme or reason to when that changeover happens/when they get cleared out?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I got a Fosi Audio BT30D. I'm happy with it's performance in a near field configuration.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there a good recommendation for a basic 2ch speaker amp for just normal living room/bookshelf speakers? I know the SMSL SA-50 and SA-98E used to be popular but anything better emerged since then? Looks like the 98E is running about $115 now, but that may just be the “outdated model tax” if something newer has replaced it.

The Sunbuck AS-25BU/29BU also look ok, considering they’re around $50?

It looks like in the past Best Buy has run some heavy clearance deals on last year’s model of receivers. Is there any rhyme or reason to when that changeover happens/when they get cleared out?

not really, there isn’t a ton of year over year changeover on 2-channel amps/receivers. Some of the popular Yamaha ones have been on sale relatively unchanged for ~10 years. I imagine the clearout might have more to do with refreshing floor models than anything else for those kinds of receivers.

There are a bunch of class-D mini amps from the likes of SMSL, etc in the <$100 range (edit- you mentioned SMSL, nvm I guess I missed that).

In terms of receivers within that budget, there’s a Sony one, a Yamaha one (probably the best of the bunch), and an Insignia-branded (BB house brand) one new between $99-$160.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
for a receiver I meant something in the 5.1 range or so. Two different requests, sorry. Demon has one around $350 that I’ve seen recommended before, just wondering if it would be better to wait for a clearance on those.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport
I'm looking to upgrade my tv speakers to something better (might also upgrade my tv soon but that's a separate story). I don't need anything amazing, honestly my tv speakers are awful and I have to turn it up superloud to hear dialogue and then everything else is too loud. I'm watching tv on a couch directly in front of the tv about 6 feet away. I've been going through the last few pages and I know if you have a reasonable budget a receiver with front speakers seems to be the way to go but unfortunately my budget is much lower (<$250CAD). What do you think the best option is?

Options I see are:

Soundbar (from what I can see a lot of the low dollar ones are very similar but Vizio seemed to get some recommendations).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/polk-audio-signa-s2-2-1-sound-bar-with-wireless-subwoofer-open-box/13499291
https://www.amazon.ca/VIZIO-All-One...aps%2C68&sr=8-5

Going used on something like this (it's old but it's 50 bucks and seems OK?):

https://montreal.craigslist.org/ele/d/pierrefonds-sony-fm-stereo-receiver/7429000058.html?lang=en&cc=us

There's very little on the used craiglist market (above seemed to be the only one in the area under $250).

Or is there a better way to approach this? I'm in Canada so everything seems a lot more expensive unfortunately.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mursh posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my tv speakers to something better (might also upgrade my tv soon but that's a separate story). I don't need anything amazing, honestly my tv speakers are awful and I have to turn it up superloud to hear dialogue and then everything else is too loud. I'm watching tv on a couch directly in front of the tv about 6 feet away. I've been going through the last few pages and I know if you have a reasonable budget a receiver with front speakers seems to be the way to go but unfortunately my budget is much lower (<$250CAD). What do you think the best option is?

Options I see are:

Soundbar (from what I can see a lot of the low dollar ones are very similar but Vizio seemed to get some recommendations).

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/polk-audio-signa-s2-2-1-sound-bar-with-wireless-subwoofer-open-box/13499291
https://www.amazon.ca/VIZIO-All-One...aps%2C68&sr=8-5

Going used on something like this (it's old but it's 50 bucks and seems OK?):

https://montreal.craigslist.org/ele/d/pierrefonds-sony-fm-stereo-receiver/7429000058.html?lang=en&cc=us

There's very little on the used craiglist market (above seemed to be the only one in the area under $250).

Or is there a better way to approach this? I'm in Canada so everything seems a lot more expensive unfortunately.

Do you need hdmi? I don’t think that Sony is going to have it. If you don’t need it, you could upgrade the speakers at some point. I don’t see anything else that jumps out at me and maybe it’s just the conversion that’s messing me up but the prices seem insane.

If you did want to get a pair of speakers, those Brauns for $150 might be good. Braun made a lot of the components for ADS and you would see the badging go back and forth between ADS and Braun during some periods. That’s maybe more than I would spend on that pair, but the market there just seems to be pricy too.

If you have thrift stores around you could probably find 2010s-or so AV receivers with at least some HDMI support for the same price as that Sony or less. Just have to be patient.

https://montreal.craigslist.org/ele/d/roxboro-vintage-braun-l500-speakers/7444179145.html?lang=en&cc=us

Yeah I’m pretty sure that those would be ADS L500s in the US. Beautiful speaker.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 12, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Do you need hdmi? I don’t think that Sony is going to have it. If you don’t need it, you could upgrade the speakers at some point. I don’t see anything else that jumps out at me and maybe it’s just the conversion that’s messing me up but the prices seem insane.

If you did want to get a pair of speakers, those Brauns for $150 might be good. Braun made a lot of the components for ADS and you would see the badging go back and forth between ADS and Braun during some periods. That’s maybe more than I would spend on that pair, but the market there just seems to be pricy too.

If you have thrift stores around you could probably find 2010s-or so AV receivers with at least some HDMI support for the same price as that Sony or less. Just have to be patient.

https://montreal.craigslist.org/ele/d/roxboro-vintage-braun-l500-speakers/7444179145.html?lang=en&cc=us

Yeah I’m pretty sure that those would be ADS L500s in the US. Beautiful speaker.

I feel like at OP’s budget they’re better off looking for amp/speaker quality rather than age or connectivity.

Especially if they aren’t chasing surround sound, a higher-end receiver with a TOSlink in, or even an older stereo receiver (A FiiO Taishan DAC is still only $25) is probably going to be a better investment of ~$100 than a bottom-of-the-barrel Best Buy Special surround receiver from 2012 that the original owner got new for $150 “but it has HDMI.”

Edit: holy poo poo I want those Brauns. Those are some real-deal collector pieces.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 12, 2022

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Figuring out bookshelf speakers and a receiver is probably better overall, but if dialogue is your big concern a sound bar with decent reviews will still be way better than the TV's built in speakers. I guess I'd check Rtings and the wirecutter for reviews. We got a 2.1 vizio setup ( SB3621n-G8) for my mother (who wanted one despite having a good 2.1 bookshelf system ???) and it's massively better than the TV on its own and I don't mind the sound coming from my fancier stereo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I feel like at OP’s budget they’re better off looking for amp/speaker quality rather than age or connectivity.

Especially if they aren’t chasing surround sound, a higher-end receiver with a TOSlink in, or even an older stereo receiver (A FiiO Taishan DAC is still only $25) is probably going to be a better investment of ~$100 than a bottom-of-the-barrel Best Buy Special surround receiver from 2012 that the original owner got new for $150 “but it has HDMI.”

I agree. I think the Sony he posted would work, but you’re basically throwing away those trash speakers and replacing them. The other modern-ish receivers on Craigslist there seem like they’re too expensive. I would check goodwill if it was me, and spend the money on speakers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BigFactory posted:

I agree. I think the Sony he posted would work, but you’re basically throwing away those trash speakers and replacing them. The other modern-ish receivers on Craigslist there seem like they’re too expensive. I would check goodwill if it was me, and spend the money on speakers.

For ~$99-$150, OP could also get one of the entry level Sony or Yamaha 2.0/2.1 channel receivers currently on the market that have been kicking around for years at this point. Probably even get it for less if found used/refurbished/open box.

IIRC, the Yamaha one even has Bluetooth.

Personally, I might get one of those over a junk-tier 5 channel receiver from a decade ago.

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport

Ok Comboomer posted:

For ~$99-$150, OP could also get one of the entry level Sony or Yamaha 2.0/2.1 channel receivers currently on the market that have been kicking around for years at this point. Probably even get it for less if found used/refurbished/open box.

IIRC, the Yamaha one even has Bluetooth.

Personally, I might get one of those over a junk-tier 5 channel receiver from a decade ago.

Thanks for the replies everyone. To confirm, I don't believe I need HDMI. My current tv has arc/earc and some regular audio inputs. I have an xbox and switch connected directly to the tv, so those are fine. As long as the sound works, I don't care how it gets there unless there's something special I need to know I'd be happy plugging it in however.

Honestly I'm not super sold on the soundbars, so I'm definitely moving in the direction of a receiver and speakers, but to your point's, I'm probably better off looking around further. I'm not in an immediate rush but am actively looking.

Those braun speakers referred to above, if they work and sound good, seem reasonable (the $150 on craigslist?). Then I would simply need a receiver?

What exactly am I looking for in a receiver outside of 2.0 or 2.1? Is there an example you can give me from Sony or Yamaha so I can do some googling and see what they cost in Quebec for something along those lines?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mursh posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone. To confirm, I don't believe I need HDMI. My current tv has arc/earc and some regular audio inputs. I have an xbox and switch connected directly to the tv, so those are fine. As long as the sound works, I don't care how it gets there unless there's something special I need to know I'd be happy plugging it in however.

Honestly I'm not super sold on the soundbars, so I'm definitely moving in the direction of a receiver and speakers, but to your point's, I'm probably better off looking around further. I'm not in an immediate rush but am actively looking.

Those braun speakers referred to above, if they work and sound good, seem reasonable (the $150 on craigslist?). Then I would simply need a receiver?

What exactly am I looking for in a receiver outside of 2.0 or 2.1? Is there an example you can give me from Sony or Yamaha so I can do some googling and see what they cost in Quebec for something along those lines?

If you are using your tv for switching inputs, the question would be how it outputs audio. Does it have optical out (you would need a reviver with optical in), rca out, does it just have 3.5mm out?

Mursh
Jul 8, 2006
Canadian Passport
Here's what's on the tv. I took some pictures but can't figure out how to put them in the message.

2 regular HDMI
Arc HDMI
Digital output (optical)
AV In (the yellow/white/red inputs)
Ant/cable

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone know what'd be good for mid level permanent outdoor bluetooth patio speakers? Has easy access to a power outlet, is well sheltered so it won't really get any rain or sun but will get used when it's very cold out. Like I want something more than a $79 portable bluetooth speaker but something less than $999 separate amp and speakers. I'd love something like a B&W Zeppelin but I'm afraid cranking it when it's 30 degrees out will destroy the woofers, I had that problem with a pair of speakers before but maybe it was because they had aluminum cones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mursh posted:

Here's what's on the tv. I took some pictures but can't figure out how to put them in the message.

2 regular HDMI
Arc HDMI
Digital output (optical)
AV In (the yellow/white/red inputs)
Ant/cable

yeah, you wanna use optical out.

Your options are either a receiver/amp with optical in, or you can get an inexpensive optical-to-RCA DAC (I like the FiiO T03 Taishan, it’s <$30 and sounds :discourse: for the money) and hook it up to literally any receiver or amp from the past 50 years with RCA jacks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Anyone know what'd be good for mid level permanent outdoor bluetooth patio speakers? Has easy access to a power outlet, is well sheltered so it won't really get any rain or sun but will get used when it's very cold out. Like I want something more than a $79 portable bluetooth speaker but something less than $999 separate amp and speakers. I'd love something like a B&W Zeppelin but I'm afraid cranking it when it's 30 degrees out will destroy the woofers, I had that problem with a pair of speakers before but maybe it was because they had aluminum cones.

would you maybe be better off running outdoor speakers from your main receiver (assuming you have the channels)?

Do you use Sonos?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'm looking to hook up a couple of computers to a set of speakers and I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

I need inputs for either 2 or 3 computers (all providing 1/8" stereo outs, either "for headphones" or line outs; obviously I'm open to adapters), the ability to plug headphones in (and then automatically mute the speakers), and physical volume control that affects both the speakers and any plugged in headphones. It would be nice if multiple inputs could be played simultaneously, but isn't required (if not, though, switching inputs needs to be very easy).

Compactness is a plus, and funnily enough I'm open to mono because of my room's layout: this is for a desk island in a home office, where mine and my girlfriend's monitors are back to back. I currently don't have any surfaces in the rest of the room to place speakers on, so something that works by sitting on the same desk island would be a big plus, but if that's not going to happen I could look into mounting speakers on a wall potentially.

What am I looking for? A nice set of powered PC speakers that take multiple ins (if so, recs appreciated)? Something else?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Scythe posted:

I'm looking to hook up a couple of computers to a set of speakers and I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

I need inputs for either 2 or 3 computers (all providing 1/8" stereo outs, either "for headphones" or line outs; obviously I'm open to adapters), the ability to plug headphones in (and then automatically mute the speakers), and physical volume control that affects both the speakers and any plugged in headphones. It would be nice if multiple inputs could be played simultaneously, but isn't required (if not, though, switching inputs needs to be very easy).

Compactness is a plus, and funnily enough I'm open to mono because of my room's layout: this is for a desk island in a home office, where mine and my girlfriend's monitors are back to back. I currently don't have any surfaces in the rest of the room to place speakers on, so something that works by sitting on the same desk island would be a big plus, but if that's not going to happen I could look into mounting speakers on a wall potentially.

What am I looking for? A nice set of powered PC speakers that take multiple ins (if so, recs appreciated)? Something else?

I can’t make heads or tails of this

Edit: ok, I take it back.

What you want is a mixer—like a real mixer, one for a home studio. Like the Soundcraft I used to have/am waiting to replace once the supply chain situation improves.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1118986-REG/soundcraft_spirit_5049555_signature_12_mixer_w_effects.html

Then plug a pair of powered desktop monitors into that.

They make a much smaller line called the Sketchpad, without the sliders, if you need it to be super compact.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 12, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

would you maybe be better off running outdoor speakers from your main receiver (assuming you have the channels)?

Do you use Sonos?

I'd definitely be better off but the wiring would be a pain in the rear end.

No sonos yet but I started looking into it to see if it might make sense

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I own these two items and am wondering if I need to add a preamp to really make the speakers shine? I mostly listen to vinyl and TIDAL HIFI. And if I were to buy a preamp I assume i set the switch to mono and let the preamp "fix" the signal? And what preamp should I buy? I assume a tube amp is a waste as the stereo's amp will convert to digital anyway?

Edifier S2000MKIII
https://www.edifier.com/product-s2000mkiii.html
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVP9XBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Audio-Technica AT-LP60BK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008872SIO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks!

edit: Just realized they cheaped out and my two input lines are different sensitivities :hey:

Total power output
L/R (treble): 15W+15W RMS
L/R (mid-range bass): 50W + 50W RMS
Signal-to-noise ratio≥90dB(A)
Noise level≤25dB(A)
Input sensitivity
Line 1 input: 800±50mV
Line 2 input: 600±50mV
Bluetooth input: 450±50mFFs
Optical/Coaxial input: 350±50mFFs
Frequency response45Hz~40KHz

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 13, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

djfooboo posted:

I own these two items and am wondering if I need to add a preamp to really make the speakers shine? I mostly listen to vinyl and TIDAL HIFI. And if I were to buy a preamp I assume i set the switch to mono and let the preamp "fix" the signal? And what preamp should I buy? I assume a tube amp is a waste as the stereo's amp will convert to digital anyway?

Edifier S2000MKIII
https://www.edifier.com/product-s2000mkiii.html
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVP9XBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Audio-Technica AT-LP60BK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008872SIO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks!

edit: Just realized they cheaped out and my two input lines are different sensitivities :hey:

Total power output
L/R (treble): 15W+15W RMS
L/R (mid-range bass): 50W + 50W RMS
Signal-to-noise ratio≥90dB(A)
Noise level≤25dB(A)
Input sensitivity
Line 1 input: 800±50mV
Line 2 input: 600±50mV
Bluetooth input: 450±50mFFs
Optical/Coaxial input: 350±50mFFs
Frequency response45Hz~40KHz

I don’t think you would notice a difference if you added a preamp.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

I got this thing and am happy with it so far, we'll see how it stands up to the cold. The battery should make it great for the road trips we take, can't wait for the sister in law to pull out her little bluetooth Bose and then I'll pull out this monster.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
And then I pull up with a yamaha genset and pair of QSC K10.2s and have the last laugh ahahahaha aughhahaha

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just want to listen to Selena Gomez while I’m sitting in the hot tub

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah but you could do it at a much higher volume if you brought a generator into the bathroom!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:glances at the Mackie SRM215-V in the corner:

Do you want to listen to Selena Gomez or do you want your neighborhood to listen to Selena Gomez with you?

Anyways, my Behringer Ultragraph started adding an insane noise floor to my setup so the caps must be dead or dying. That makes 3 out of 3 pieces of Behringer equipment failing on me. In the mean time, the Onkyo consumer amp I've been using with it is still totally fine except for the screen becoming dimmer and dimmer over time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ages ago I posted about trying to hook up an Onkyo A-9010 to a subwoofer. The trouble is it doesn't have a pre-out, it only has speaker level RCA outputs. My subwoofer has speaker level inputs for plain old speaker wire. Could I use an RCA to speaker wire cable? Is this a thing or have I smoked too much meth?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
"speaker level" RCA? Looking at the back, they sure do seem like they'd be line level to me. Couldn't one run another pair of wires out of the ONKYO's speaker outputs into the sub?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

This came up last time. They are speaker level RCA outputs -- a line out, the kind of outputs you'd use to record a tape or whatever.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This came up last time. They are speaker level RCA outputs -- a line out, the kind of outputs you'd use to record a tape or whatever.

That's where the confusion comes from. Those are not "speaker level", speaker level is much more powerful signal. But I guess the problem is the volume control doesn't affect the level on the line out.

What subwoofer do you have? I think at least on some models it's possible to route the speaker cables through them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hmm, alright, that is an important distinction then. It's a lovely little Martin Logan Dynamo, it doesn't have speaker level out unfortunately. I could just get a different subwoofer, I basically got this one for free.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It doesn't need an out run wires from the speaker outs to both your speakers and your subs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think this works fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, you can do that. The impedance on the sub's speaker level inputs is so high that it won't affect the main speakers, even if they're wired in parallel to the sub.

The sub just needs the signal, it won't actually draw any appreciable power, the internal amp takes care of that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pre out: a volume attenuated pre-amp signal. Gets quieter when you turn down the volume.

Line out: a fixed-volume (-0dB) pre-amp signal. Does not get quieter when you turn down the volume, but is otherwise the same as a pre out.

Speaker level: post-amp signal for driving speakers directly.

Subwoofers with pre-amp inputs will normally have RCA for the connection. Subwoofers with speaker level inputs will normally have a terminal block or binding posts for the connection.

Passive subwoofers only have speaker level inputs and rely on the power of the amplifier to drive them. These inputs are low impedance and draw a lot of power.

Powered subwoofers nearly always have pre-amp inputs and will often also have speaker level inputs. Unlike powered amps, these speaker level inputs are high impedance (have a big ole resistor across them) and are basically used to grab a pre-amp level signal from amps without a pre out. You do this by running the subwoofer in parallel with your speaker on the same output. Often but not always, subwoofers will have passthrough connections that go to your speakers to simplify this.

TL;DR post pictures of the back of your subwoofer and amp and we will tell you how to hook it up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LRADIKAL posted:

It doesn't need an out run wires from the speaker outs to both your speakers and your subs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think this works fine.

It works but the problem with using a sub with a speaker level connection is you're not using a crossover so your speakers are still playing full range and one of the big benefits of a sub is taking that load off the speakers and amp. Plus getting "double bass" can make it harder to tune and position right. That said it looks like there's no other way with that amplifier so it's probably worth the effort.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My old (probably close to a decade at this point) Onkyo's HDMI ports seem to be dying, which is annoying since I wanted to at least wait until HDMI 2.1 was actually fixed in new receivers before buying a new one. The weird thing is only some seem to be dead, since the ARC port seems to be working fine? I might have to mess around with it a bit more to be sure, and ultimately it's not a huge deal since the only thing I have plugged into it is my Switch.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The HDMI cable connected to my Yamaha V4A appears to be putting out a charge. Like, if I touch the metal part, it zaps me a bit. Not a ton, but enough to feel it. Is this, uh, normal?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is your equipment grounded?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I replaced my two old DALI SWA 12 subwoofers with an SVS SB-1000, and boy howdy that's a capable little cube for a small-ish living room (also continuous 2x120W vs 300W, peak 2x150W vs 700W is probably the real kicker). The previous owner even put some fancy sorbothane isolation feet on it, and those do make a nice difference in cutting the amount of vibration my turntable is exposed to.

My dual sub setup was probably limited by a lack of placement options, there are only so many places where you can put two chonky 12" subs in a 17m² room, when you also need to have a couch and dining table and bookshelves and so on. I thought I had it dialed in reasonably well manually, and then with Audyssey on top, but the results with just the one SB-1000 are significantly better.

I also tried measuring just three listening positions on my couch, instead of the maximum of six. That seemed to give a result with much less correction applied than before, so that's possibly a tip for everyone with a receiver with room correction, to simplify the work Audyssey etc. has to do, and to prevent it from overcorrecting things.

It still insists that my bookshelf speakers should be set to "large" with a 40Hz crossover to the sub, which is just completely silly. I always set that back to "small" and an 80Hz crossover point as the very first manual adjustment.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cross posting from the vinyl thread, since I got no answers there.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an amplifier that would have a headphone jack, and also an USB out port? I plan on keeping it in my entertainment stand, but I have two or three records that I haven't seen pop up on my backup sites that I would like to have digitally. I currently just have a Audio Technica player hooked into a Pioneer receiver, but might as well have something that I can hook headphones into directly, along with the USB port.