Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wilkins Micawber posted:

This guy here? I even have an old battery powered headphone amp (somewhere) so, hell yeah! :thanks:

bet I could even use an in-line remote thingy for volume, if I didn't want to use the headphone amp

Either one is probably fine. The Taishan’s like a decade old at this point, I only recommended it because I have one for the purpose of connecting my 4K TV to vintage receivers but I think it tops out at CD quality (so no streaming Tidal thru your TV I guess, if that’s even a thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
So, this one should do the job, right? It has a volume knob and some good reviews. Heck, it even comes with the wires. I am a bit concerned that listening to headphones and tv simultaneously will make an audio lag thing happen which would suck for me, the headphone user. Also I'm not totally sure if we can still change the TV volume with the remote or not. But I think it will work with our setup.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe check to make sure your TV can do optical and use the speakers at the same time

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Sorry I think I misspoke. If it's working right it should be going through my headphones and simultaneously, go via RCA into our bookshelf woofer/2 speakers.

Edit: I do not, however, have a "PCM" setting to switch the TV to, as depicted in the little video in the product listing

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 7, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Sorry I think I misspoke. If it's working right it should be going through my headphones and simultaneously, go via RCA into our bookshelf woofer/2 speakers.

Edit: I do not, however, have a "PCM" setting to switch the TV to, as depicted in the little video in the product listing

Oh, then you can split the RCA and go to a headphone amp. You don't need to use optical.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
I'll still be using optical to go from the TV to the DAC, and then RCA to the speaker. Anyway, I bought it, I hope it works, and :tipshat:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Can one of you's guys recommend a portable/outdoor/indoor speaker that has both bluetooth and aux-in connectivity? If it has an AC in that would be great too, although it's not that important. Ideally it should be clear, fairly powerful and have good non-farty bass response.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oldstench posted:

Can one of you's guys recommend a portable/outdoor/indoor speaker that has both bluetooth and aux-in connectivity? If it has an AC in that would be great too, although it's not that important. Ideally it should be clear, fairly powerful and have good non-farty bass response.
What’s your budget? Also bass is highly dependent on where you’re playing it, you can get decent response of a small speaker in the corner of a room or near a wall but outside is a challenge. JBL and Ultimate Ears are reviewed well and go,on sale a lot.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have the small JBL in our shower and the tallboy sized one for our backyard and am happy with both of em

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've got a Sony SRS-XB33 that's shockingly good. Probably more than we need for our patio tbh. Looks like they're getting replaced and are on clearance at Best Buy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

qirex posted:

What’s your budget?
Trying to keep it under $150 if possible.

Dogen posted:

I have the small JBL in our shower and the tallboy sized one for our backyard and am happy with both of em
Not sure which models you're talking about but I can't find one with aux-in.

Endless Mike posted:

I've got a Sony SRS-XB33 that's shockingly good. Probably more than we need for our patio tbh. Looks like they're getting replaced and are on clearance at Best Buy.
This looks like it might be a winner. I'll check some reviews.
e: hmm - a review I watched shows that the aux-in was removed to add Bluetooth 5.0 support. Does yours have an aux-in?

Thanks all.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 9, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For the future, consider a setup like mine. My AVR is 7.1, but you can also do 5.1 and run the other two channels somewhere else in "multi zone". So I have two outdoor speakers mounted under the eve of my house that run back to the AVR. They are Klipsch AW-400's, got em on the cheap in an open box deal (cheaper than I realized, just checked my email and I only paid 125 CAD for them). Control my Onkyo from my phone, it does bluetooth but there are a bunch of other ways you can use them, though it will only accept 2 channel input to the second zone. It can also be used while the main 5.1 is running something else as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oldstench posted:

e: hmm - a review I watched shows that the aux-in was removed to add Bluetooth 5.0 support. Does yours have an aux-in?

Thanks all.

Mine does, yeah. I got it earlier this year, so I don't know how ubiquitous the revised version is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Thanks all.

worth picking up a cheapo $29 ANKER one for beater purposes

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ok Comboomer posted:

worth picking up a cheapo $29 ANKER one for beater purposes

Yep, Soundcore 2 is a really great option for $40. Get two of the upgraded version and you can do stereo pairing over BT (though just 1 sounds great on its own).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Oldstench posted:

Ugh, the larger one has since had the aux in deleted. Sorry!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Picked up the Anker Soundcore 2. Sounds surprisingly good for its size. I see you can pair 2, but I can't find if that works when using the aux-in. Does anyone who has one know if this is possible?

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Success with my TV headphone/speaker situation. The device seems to work, and this one even has knobs! But there is some minor buzz before I plug in the power cable and after I do, MUCH buzz.

Now, we have basically all the stuff jammed there on the shelf. In order of stuff, it's like this:

Left speaker | switch dock | this device | quest 2 | subwoofer (!) | some games | right speaker

There's a bunch of wires and whatnot strewn throughout and a shelf above (and an inch of Ikea plywood) has a Wii, 360, Kinect, retron, vcr, etc. So before I call the device a dud I'm gonna try moving around some wires in case it's interference. Guessing a DAC can pick up a lot of that, especially from a subwoofer. :) :(

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Oh and it could def be the allegedly poo poo quality of the optical cable it came with, too

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Success with my TV headphone/speaker situation. The device seems to work, and this one even has knobs! But there is some minor buzz before I plug in the power cable and after I do, MUCH buzz.

Sounds like AC interference. That's probably either a ground loop or an unshielded low-voltage (RCA) cable acting as an antenna. Unplug cables until it stops. Replace that cable. If that doesn't work, make sure everything that is plugged in together is all on the same power strip. Are you powering the DAC with USB or with an AC adapter?

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Oh and it could def be the allegedly poo poo quality of the optical cable it came with, too

It definitely could not.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 13, 2022

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
AC adapter. It's all on the same power strip, I believe. I think the TV itself may be plugged into the wall directly. I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow, thank you for the advice/possible explanation

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Everything is working fine and there is no hum or lag or anything. It is great. BUT

There is no way to control the speaker volume with the TV remote anymore, is there? When the TV was directly hooked to the speakers, you could control them with the remote. If I hit "mute" now, it just mutes the TV but the speakers keep playing. I'm gonna dick around in the tv settings but I think this might come down to the TV itself, as I'd feared. I can draw a diagram if I am unclear:shobon:

edit: I can switch the TV output to optical to disable the speakers but still can't control volume with the remote. That's a step in...some direction. Gonna keep flailing

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 13, 2022

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Blugh I think I'm way over my head

So I have this DAC and it doesn't seem to fit the bill. This same company, for basically the same price, offers this other DAC with a remote. It has no knobs on it, but as long as it controlled the TV (and therefore speaker) volume, I might be able to remedy that with an in-line headphone remote. But I don't think my partner would go for having to use a separate remote just for volume. And on top of that, this tv STILL doesn't have a PCM option, so I have doubts about this working at all to begin with.

Probably just going to return the DAC I have. Then curl up in a ball and cry.

edit: maybe a DAC with ARC? This tv has ARC. PLease kill me, end me, now

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 13, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

How about an hdmi audio extractor that has an optical output you can connect the dac you have to? There's the occasional hdmi switch with one built in too of you need this to work with multiple sources without unplugging.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
This thing, right here. This should do it, right?

I'd have to unplug my 360, but it would go like this: HDMI from the back of the TV, into the ARC/HDMI port on this device. We would have the RCA from the speakers going into the device as well as the headphones. Both speakers and headphones will play simultaneously and since there is no volume control, the headphones volume will be done via in-line remote and the TV itself will still control the speakers with the TV remote as normal. And all of the TV's HDMI inputs will play audio through this weird ARC reactor thing. And this will work. I think I smell toast.

edit: haha! Yes ^^^ yes!! :yeshaha:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

That looks neat if it works as advertised. I only have experience with extractors that would go between console and tv, siphoning off audio before it reaches the tv in the first place.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I predict that nothing under $50 will actually work the way you want it to. The optical output of your TV is fixed volume and the analog isn't. You are asking to support a weird use case [headphones and speakers at the same time with separate volume control] so you're getting a lot of weird options.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I predict that nothing under $50 will actually work the way you want it to. The optical output of your TV is fixed volume and the analog isn't. You are asking to support a weird use case [headphones and speakers at the same time with separate volume control] so you're getting a lot of weird options.

assuming your TV can do optical + internal speakers at the same time (most can, in my experience), OP’s best bet is an optical out to some kind of DAC+headphone amp (either built in or separate), with the TV’s onboard speakers providing sound for the partner.

if the TV can’t do both, then you’d have to go from an optical DAC to a splitter to two amplification sources (ie one receiver with speakers and something to drive the headphones) with their own volume knobs

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Sounds kinda like OP wants a mixer? My old job had one that had multiple outputs and separate volume knobs for each, and some button for source volume shenanigans iirc. However it wasn't hooked up to a TV, but seemed like it would work as desired. However I have a feeling it would be a lot more than like $30.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Mightn't the last one I posted do the job? The weird ARC one. I know it has no vol knob like Qirex says, but I think it strips the audio out via hdmi (and converts to analog) so the TV should still control the speakers. And like I said, an in-line remote on the headphone wire should control it's volume independently. And the TV settings have an option for ARC, which seems like a positive.

Partner NEEDS to be able to hear audio from speakers and control it with remote. Yeah I know it's a dumb use case. But I like headphone gaming and she very much doesn't, and we don't yet have a receiver It's already a tooth-pull getting her to give up one of the inputs on the TV for such a device. Provided this works, I think I don't need the DAC and can return it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Mightn't the last one I posted do the job? The weird ARC one. I know it has no vol knob like Qirex says, but I think it strips the audio out via hdmi (and converts to analog) so the TV should still control the speakers. And like I said, an in-line remote on the headphone wire should control it's volume independently. And the TV settings have an option for ARC, which seems like a positive.

Partner NEEDS to be able to hear audio from speakers and control it with remote. Yeah I know it's a dumb use case. But I like headphone gaming and she very much doesn't, and we don't yet have a receiver It's already a tooth-pull getting her to give up one of the inputs on the TV for such a device. Provided this works, I think I don't need the DAC and can return it.

Remind us again what your budget is?

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Cheap, sub-$50.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Imo it could work, but it's a bit janky that you'd only be able to adjust volume in headphones downwards with the inline remote. If you want the sound to be louder in your headphones, you can't do it directly, only by adjusting the tv volume up and then presumably adjusting the speakers down to compensate. This could be a non-problem or something you need to do just once during setup. But it's not elegant.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Cheap, sub-$50.

ok, cool. You mention not having a receiver at home. Do you have powered speakers at home? PC speakers?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I assume the HDMI ARC will have a fixed volume, that's how it is on my TV. The ARC is connected to an AV receiver, the volume on the TV is muted and I control the volume on the receiver.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Saukkis posted:

I assume the HDMI ARC will have a fixed volume, that's how it is on my TV. The ARC is connected to an AV receiver, the volume on the TV is muted and I control the volume on the receiver.
If that is the case, forget whatever I said.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

ok, cool. You mention not having a receiver at home. Do you have powered speakers at home? PC speakers?

No reciever, it's like a 2.1 bookshelf setup, just using a 3.5mm (or the 3.5mm->RCA splitter I got yesterday, if need be) They are pretty old speakers, probably from the 2000s. The subwoofer has all the plugs, of which there are very few.

Thanks for all the input folks, this is all honestly v helpful. Whatever I go with probably won't be too elegant, but I'm hoping the ARC thingy might at least cut it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That thing is very unlikely to work for you. First, ARC doesn't have a volume control directly. Instead, it uses another protocol called CEC to control the volume on the device it's connected to (usually a receiver or soundbar). It is unlikely that the ARC dongle thingy you posted has an internal volume control that receives CEC commands. It's possible, but very unlikely.

Secondly, even if it did do that somehow, you would have the most frustrating experience with volume - every time your partner changes the volume on the TV, it would change your volume as well. So if she turned it up, you would have to turn it back down to compensate. If your volume was on max and she turned it down, your headphones are going quieter too no matter what you want because you can't adjust the volume back up.

I presume the reason you want headphones is because you want it much louder than her (because that's the only thing I can think of that makes any sense - if you wanted it quieter, headphones wouldn't really do that), so that would be a problem. But more likely, like I said, she will have no volume control whatsoever except for physically walking to the speakers and adjusting them.

I cannot think of anything that does what you want to do in a single box for your budget. Mostly because the requirement of having two people listen to the same thing in the same room but with different listening devices and also needing independent remote volume control is... not common.

Edit: I am 99% sure that your TV can't do both ARC and RCA audio out at the same time, in case that is what you are thinking.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 14, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wilkins Micawber posted:

No reciever, it's like a 2.1 bookshelf setup, just using a 3.5mm (or the 3.5mm->RCA splitter I got yesterday, if need be) They are pretty old speakers, probably from the 2000s. The subwoofer has all the plugs, of which there are very few.

Thanks for all the input folks, this is all honestly v helpful. Whatever I go with probably won't be too elegant, but I'm hoping the ARC thingy might at least cut it.

TV—>optical to $20 DAC—> to RCA or 3.5mm splitter plus whatever RCA/3.5mm adapters are necessary for==>1) PC speakers for partner 2) RCA or 3.5mm headphone amp for Wilkins Micawber, if not just a passive gain knob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib

Ok Comboomer posted:

TV—>optical to $20 DAC—> to RCA or 3.5mm splitter plus whatever RCA/3.5mm adapters are necessary for==>1) PC speakers for partner 2) RCA or 3.5mm headphone amp for Wilkins Micawber, if not just a passive gain knob

I don't know what this means. I think the DAC I have now might have done the job IF the TV had PCM/PCMA support, but it doesn't. So that means when it is connected, the TV remote won't control the speakers as before.

Blurgh argh ugh, I think I am defeated. I might read some of the hundreds of reviews of the ARC thing and see if my use case is there and possibly order it with a 90% expectation that this will not work. Hell I wouldn't even care if I had to play wacky games with an in-line remote when she adjusts the volume, or finagle some poo poo with the old battery powered pocket headphone amp I have.

I really like to play games with headphones to appreciate the sound and music and hear directional cues. My partner has a lot of rigidity through no fault of her own, it's her wiring, and her brain hates headphones and so she hates headphones.