Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Aphrodite posted:

Does anyone know a good place to buy home theatre systems in Canada? Everyone seems to recommend systems by Onkyo, but most of the places people link to won't ship here. Websites are fine too.

Alternately, is anything sold at somewhere like BestBuy actually good? I can go up to $500-$600 or so, and it would mainly be for PS3/360 games and Bluray movies.

I notice London Drugs has the Onkyo TX-SR506 on sale for $299 atm.

Another option, if you live close to the border, is to order from the states and make use of a shipping drop off facility close to your area. In vancouver here we can use guys down in Point Roberts Washington, which is only a 30 min drive from the city. They charge $3-6 to hold your parcel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni
Another smoking small speaker deal, at the Harmon ebay shop, you may be able to snag Infinity Beta 20's for as low as $40-50 occasionally at auction.

By all accounts an excellent speaker at that price.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

tinselt0wn posted:

Any opinions on NAD products (Specifically the NAD T754)?

NAD is a legendary brand with a great reputation going back to their seminal model 3020 integrated amp. :canada:

I can't comment on that model you mention however I have never really looked at their a/v receiver line.

I have been looking at grabbing a c325bee integrated as my desktop amp though.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

GatewayBF posted:

My 1/4 TRS Connector...

Is your Adaptor a Balanced 1/4 TRS, tip ring sleeve? Or just a stereo adaptor 1/4?

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni
You are in the budget range for an entry level Hsu sub.

The STF-1 will hit a very solid 32Hz.

Recently I picked up a mint B&W asw300 for 300(can dollars) and that was a little on the highish price side.

Sometimes used is the best option, hit up Clist and perhaps Audiogon, sometimes you can snipe a great deal.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

JDub posted:

Hey thanks guys for the input, I think the Elemntal Designs will be great for what I need

HSU subs are also very highly regarded and the prices are good for the performance level offered.

Rel are the best subs for just music listening imo but can be quite expensive, SVS are also worth checking out.

Also keep your eyes peeled for used deals, I grabbed a mint B&W asw300 off Clist locally for cheap, works awesome.

Doc Spratley fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 30, 2009

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

tinselt0wn posted:

What are the best Bookshelves for around 500/pair?

Here are some more that are all worth a listen.

Paradigm Atom (v.6 is latest)

PSB Alpha B1 and PSB Image B25

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Epos ELS3

Infinity Beta 20

Energy RC-10

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Nimrod posted:

So for the last two or three years, i've had this setup:
Front: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-51.aspx
Center: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rc-52.aspx
Receiver: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=551938
CD player: Some old NAD 5+1 disc changer.

I've recently switched from having a A/V setup to just using my stereo for music. Would there be a receiver and/or speakers (to be had relatively cheap) that would better fit my needs if I want to listen to just music?

EDIT: Could also use some recommendations on a new CD player.

Hi Nim,

The klipsch rb line is pretty nice, I had a set of RB-61's in December. Nice build quality, I personally found the horn tweeter to be a little too piercing and switched to Paradigm Atom v6's. But that is just personal taste.

I am curious if you feel that you are 'missing' anything in your current setup?

Maybe the addition of a powered subwoofer? You could cross the rb51s over at 80hz at the receiver and you might find a little cleaner sound with more depth?

Also, have you considered moving from cds to computer based playback? You could pick up an inexpensive usb DAC such as the EMU 0202, and paired up with almost any old comp you can have a great hifi source. Make lossless rips of your collection and your CDs can stay safe and sound in storage. Feed your music collection around the house or out to the net with ease.

If you wanted to look at entry level 2 channel Integrated amps, NAD and Cambridge Audio make some nice stuff that won't break the bank.

Speakers are another huge thread, here are some hot sale prices atm.

EPOS ELS-3 - 25% off - $299

Energy C100 - reg 249 - $99

Sale on Wharfedale Diamond and Evo2 models

There are also some good internet direct speaker makers that will allow you an in home 30 day demo. Axiom, AV123, Ascend Acoustics, Audio Insider (store).

You can also find some great deals on used gear at Audiogon or CanuckAudioMart and of course your local Clist. Also ongoing sale pricing at Ebay factory outlets such as the Harmon shop. Or refurbished gear at the Onkyo outlet.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

TeMpLaR posted:

My sub just died, so I am wondering on a suggestion for a replacement. I currently have a panasonic xr-57 receiver and jamo C803 speakers.

Suggestions? It's in an apartment so i dont need anything with too much power. I was thinking the Jamo sub250 just to have it match.

Are you located in western Canada by chance? The 'London Drugs' chain of stores have been blowing out Jamo subs super cheap. I saw a sale blowout price of $99 the other day but didn't catch which model #.

Otherwise, Hsu and SVS subs are quite highly regarded. Dayton subs have a good boom for buck rep. Velodyne has a great rep as well.

I am curious if you run your c803 speakers in the special bi-amp/wire mode on your xr-57? I had been looking for a 55 or 57 for ages, I am intrigued with the unique digital signal path and advanced multi-amping bi-wire configuration.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

TeMpLaR posted:

I run single cables and have the bi-amp turned on (I believe, I haven't changed a setting in three years but I am pretty sure. The receiver works pretty well with my Panasonic TV, hooked with hdmi.

This is the digital pathflow I found interesting, when fed a digital signal, your amp keeps its signal chain entirely digital right until the very end, it's been likened to an amplifying DAC.

And this is really cool, with your Jamo's you can run Tri-Amped.

Link to source PDF

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Phillyt posted:

Audioengine A2's... sub to go with them?

Perhaps consider the A5s? Maybe a little more low end dig compared to the A2s?
I notice the A5s have handy sub line outs as well.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Phillyt posted:

I don't really have space for the A5's on my desk or the money really. I'd have to save a lot longer. I'm going to do what qirex suggested as it's the most obvious answer.

Gotcha, I was just looking at the price of the A2s plus the sub you linked and noticed it was pretty close to the A5s. And you know how upgraditis can set in.

There are also the Swans M200MkII at the A2s price, but sounds like they would be too big for your desk.

Can't really go wrong with the A2s.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

thehandtruck posted:

I have an old KLH KL2400 (http://www.shopping.com/xPF-KL2400) receiver but no speakers to go with it. Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers for around $125 to $150 that will work with that receiver?

edit: that site says 6 ohms impedance but for some reason the back of the receiver says 8 recommended.

Looking for bookshelf speakers I assume?

You could grab a pair of Infinity p152s from Vanns.com for about that or even cheaper from here.

ELT525M Mini Monitors from av123.com $175/pair (120 off)

Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 at sto sound and vision $89/pair (160 off)

Infinity Beta 20s on sale at the 'new' circuit city for $129/pair (170 off)

Keep your eyes peeled on the Harmon Kardon ebay site, I've seen Infinty beta 20's go for $20 a pair on auction,, you can occasionally snag insane deals there.

Doc Spratley fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 20, 2009

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

thehandtruck posted:

Wow thanks for the help. I think I'm going to go with the $129/pair Beta 20's even though the ELT25M mini monitors look REALLY nice. I'm assuming the Beta 20's have better sound quality than the p152s?

the first customer review on this audioreview.com page is from a fellow who owned the p152s and then compares directly to the beta 20s.

I believe the betas are discontinued now, so they are not listed on the Infinity site.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

domn posted:

i'm in the search for stereo tower speakers, and my original plan was to get a local shop to come down to near internet price on some klipsch speakers. it turns out that i like some other brands that have similar retail prices but aren't sold on the internet or i can't find crazy internet deals like i could with the klipsch i was eyeballing.

Are there internet prices for B&W or Paradigm speakers that I just can't find? how much luck am I going to have getting a local shop to come down to a reasonable % above invoice?

No online sales for B&W and Paradigm, you will have to find a dealer in your area.

PSB has online sales available from some retailers and the prices can be quite good at times, esp for blemished seconds. Dmc-electronics.com seems to have decent psb prices all the time.

Check out the Monitor Audio RS6,, they sound great as well.

I had some Klipsch Rb-61's around xmas of last year, and didn't like them for music. I found the Klipsch horns too strident and piercing esp when placed fairly close. I grabbed some Paradigm Atom v6 that sounded much nicer imo.

Later I picked up a pair of new Inifinity primus p252 towers dirt cheap and they sound very good for the price.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Dominoes posted:

Subjectively, what's the best deal in a decent powered subwoofer? I'm looking to spend <$150.

The Dayton subs from Parts-Express might be one of the better choices at that price point?

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

iloveyouall posted:

Has anyone had experience with these speakers for music listening.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-TSi200-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0018QRO9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252528275&sr=8-1

I wanted something in between that wasn't too expensive but had decent sound.

Haven't heard those Tsi's. I do know the Lsi line is reputed to sound very nice though.

For the same price you could grab Energy RC-10 in rosenut (real wood veneer) on sale at Vanns. They get overwhelmingly good reviews such as http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm.

Here are a few other famous names in that price range.; Paradigm Atoms, Psb alpha b1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

The Infinity primus p152/p162 sound decent and can be found quite cheap.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Animaniac posted:

Hey all- I have a quick, and probably silly, question. Does operating bookshelf speakers on the floor cause any damage to them?

I know they sound vastly better higher up, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to find stands to my liking, and I've run them on the floor a fair bit.

Thanks for fielding such a basic question!

Some masonary blocks of your choice, some industrial adhesive and a little spray paint. Or pvc tube filled with some shot. You can make some stands quite cheaply.

Here is a thread from a little while ago.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3202909

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

qirex posted:

So it's getting to be that time where I finally suck it up and buy a sub. I have a single major issue though: my landlady lives right beneath me. As such I am definitely not looking for maximum volume per dollar. I guess using audio weenie terms I'd like a more "musical" sub mostly for low to mid-volume games, TV and music. My speakers are Definitive Promonitor 1000s so they could definitely use a little extension. I know about the major online companies like Hsu, SVS and Elemental, are there any I'm missing? Should I be looking for sealed or ported? I also have no way to build one myself.

My budget is sub-$500, preferably sub-$400.

One other question: is the direction the woofer fires in [down vs. side] going to make any difference in terms of annoying people downstairs?

Not sure how your area is for used gear, but I always seem to see lots of great used sub deals on clist, canuckaudiomart, audiogon, etc.

I set myself up with a used B&W asw300 about a year ago and I am very happy with it. A good sub really adds to a 2 channel system imo.

Although if I was to do it again today, I might look at setting up dual subs and running them in left/right channel. Placing them out by each front channel speaker. I still have a few bass nulls in my room atm with the single sub.

Would you run your sub blending in beneath your mains, or cross them over at some freq?

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Undoubtedly a stupid stupid question, so be gentle....

Amazon is selling a well reviewed Denon receiver (AVR-3310CI) for a great price. I'm also looking at Magnepan MMG-Ws for my front and rears in a home theater. The speakers are listed as five ohm speakers, and the review for the Denon at hometheaterhifi.com says to not even try using it with four ohm speakers. Does that rule it out for the Magnepans I'm looking at?

A quick look at the Denon specs indicates a 6-16ohm rating, and the Magnepans rated at 5ohm are notoriously power hungry. You could always utilize the pre-outs from the Denon into some outboard amp(s). But otherwise I don't think it would be wise to try and push Magnepans in surround with just the onboard amps.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Uziel posted:

What AWG speaker cable do I need for my two rear surround speakers? Going to need 60' of cable per speaker. I can find 24awg easily, but is there any detriment to going smaller? If no, where can I buy some?

24 AWG might be a little thin for a 60' run. I would certainly not go any thinner gauge.

Tabulated below are the recommended cable distances (+20%) one should use for various speaker cable gauges and speaker loads.

pre:
Speaker Impedance   8 Ohm Load    4 Ohm Load
   Wire Gauge      Distance (ft) Distance (ft)
      18 AWG	      10                5
      16 AWG	      20               10
      14 AWG	      35               18
      12 AWG	      60               30
      10 AWG	     100               50
Taken from Speaker Cable Gauge (AWG) Guidelines & Recommendations

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Mr. Clark2 posted:

... Dahlquist DQ-10's. so would anyone know the approximate value of these speakers and the best way to sell them?

Here are the last 4 listings that I could find from the Canadian market, I'm sorry I don't subscribe to the audiogon blue book so I can't look up the US pricing.

For used buy/selling:
Canadian - Canuckaudiomart.com
US - Audiogon.com
and of course Ebay and the local Craigs'

SOLD - FOR SALE: Dahlquist DQ-10's
Info: Dahlquist DQ-10's
Asking Price: $650.00
Category: Speakers
Date Posted: Apr 26, 2010 05:09:38 PM

SOLD - FOR SALE: pair dahlquist dq-10 with stands
Asking Price: $350.00
Acceptable payment types: cash
Date Posted: Apr 16, 2010 02:49:08 PM

OFF - FOR SALE: Dahlquist DQ-10 Phased Array Speakers, Mirror-Imaged
Asking Price: $490.00
Date Posted: Oct 07, 2008 06:28:45 PM

OFF - FOR SALE: Dahlquist DQ10
Asking Price: $425.00
Date Posted: Mar 28, 2006 09:08:49 PM

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Famicom Bunko posted:

I've got a quick subwoofer question. I've had this JVC Compact System for a while and it has a subwoofer output, but didn't come with a subwoofer. All it is is a single composite audio cable port and says I can use a "amplifier-built-in" subwoofer.

I am not sure what what type of subwoofer would actually work with this, does anyone know?

Hob beat me to this..

Almost any self powered subwoofer will work.

Here is a typical subwoofer amp panel.

For this sub, you would run an RCA cable from the sub out on your JVC to one of the rca inputs labelled 'unbalanced' in the image.

You could optionally use a small Y splitter like this

to allow you to connect to both RCA inputs.

Your JVC manual indicates that your unit has a built in crossover that auto engages when you have a subwoofer connected and you select subwoofer 'on'. (no info on what the crossover freq is, and no way to change it however)

In this case you would want to bypass the crossover on the sub, in the image above you would set the Low Pass Filter switch to 'Bypass'. If no bypass switch, you would turn the sub's crossover control to full right, high as it goes.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

sellouts posted:

I went and auditioned the Paradigm Reference Studio 20s and really enjoyed them.

Is there anything else I should consider in that price range or lower that I should listen to before pulling the trigger?

Isn't v5 the current Studio line? I know the monitor line is at v6.

Did you get a chance to listen to the Paradigm SE1, and S1 at your local dealer?

some other popular monitors you may like;
PSB Imagine B, Harbeth P3ESR, NHT Classic 3, Energy RC-10, Ascend Sierra 1, Epos ELS8, Totem Rainmaker, B&W 685.

also some nice active monitors in that $ range such as Adam a5x/a7x, Focal CMS 50/65.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

sellouts posted:

Thanks Doc. I think the SE1 and S1s are out of my budget, unfortunately. I'm going to look around and see what I can find locally to listen to.

The Se1 should be @ $600/pair, the S1 @ $1500/pair. The SE aims to fill in between the Monitor and Studio lines, borrowing the tweeter from the studios. The S1 is a metal cabinet and gets the Beryllium tweeter. Happy hunting!

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Deadpan Science posted:

Are there any decent cheap subwoofers? $100 or less?

The entry level Dayton subs are alright for the money, I notice parts express has some on sale.

Here is the Sub-80 for $79

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

akushlan posted:

I've just read a lot of places (not necessarily reputable) that a subwoofer should be my next purchase, or at the very least I should go from 2.0 --> 3.1 to "balance" things out.

Either the sub or centre channel is a great next step. If you listen to lots of dialog driven movies and such, perhaps the centre channel, if you like more action flicks, and music with lots of low content, dubstep, d&b, etc, then a sub is fun. Just beware you may upset the neighbours with a sub.

If you go sub, I would recommend one of the internet direct brands, Bic, Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, Emotiva, Epik, etc.

If you go centre channel, usually best to go with the matching centre to your mains for a seamless front soundstage.

(Ps get both, treat yourself, you deserve it!)

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

BusinessWallet posted:

Any other suggestions? Elemental designs has a sub for $350 that looks decent.

BIC/Acoustech has that new H100 out, supposed to have been designed with some partnership from Hsu.

There are some Elemental Designs subs around that price.

also the Hsu STF series

the new NHT subs are out, but haven't heard a lot of reviews yet.

edit

Forgot to add Emotiva sub 10 on sale now.

Doc Spratley fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 2, 2011

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Lowness 72 posted:

Seeing the energy speaker sale at Newegg - who makes a better speaker? Polk or Energy?

A little too broad, need to compare direct models or model lines.

Many outlets are clearing out the excellent Energy RC line. This was the last line of speakers designed in Canada before the Klipsch takeover :canada:

Hob has recommended them a few times in this thread, and I would heartily concur, grab those RCs while you can, because at the prices they are going at, they are a fabulous buy.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Melraidin posted:

Can anyone recommend a powered sub or an amp and sub combo that would be reasonable for a small room for 200 $ or less. I'm considering the Energy 5.1 package but I presume this is still an unpowered sub: http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297018701&sr=8-1

At the 200 range, beside that Polk, the subs from Bic are popular, listed MSRPs are high, online prices are much lower, like here at Parts- Express. Another budget sub manu that has been getting decent reviews lately is Lava.

There is that nice new Pioneer SP line of speakers designed by Andrew Jones. Very attractive pricing and nice sound. You can buy direct from Pioneer US, or grab them at US Best Buys. The SP-PK21BS 5.1 package is $399.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Melraidin posted:

... but being in Canada this can be tough..

Are you close to the US border Mel? Lots of us Canucks buy from the states and have the goods shipped to a holding depot closeby just over the border. I use one in Pt. Roberts which is 15min drive from Vancouver. I pay a few dollars fee and bring the stuff back over the border myself. You can save tons of money on items this way.

Hob mentioned Axiom Audio which sells direct to customers, and offers free shipping within Canada. You could audition in home and return if not to your liking. Also I really like PSB speakers, canadian as well.

Have a look at Canuck Audio Mart the best classified site for used audio gear in canada, like audiogon from the states.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Melraidin posted:

One more try:

Are these speakers worth considering for a relatively small room right now? http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/215671-home_theatre_system/ Or comically huge for my room?

I'd like to be able to use them in my room now then in a couple years when I hopefully finish at least a portion of the basement move them into a new, larger, room.

I wouldn't go with that set, mixing the Athena fronts and CV centre like that. I think you could do better.

Do you need to replace all your speakers at once? Maybe go with some nice new mains and centre, use your old surrounds for the time being? You could grab an pair of Axiom m2s and a vp100 centre for 580.

Also those border shipping depots don't require you to setup anything in advance, very easy to use. Opening up deals from the states is so tempting, that pioneer set is hard to beat, as well as those energy RC clearances.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Hob_Gadling posted:

I can finally afford to get a new stereo receiver
Space is somewhat of a limitation.
Am I missing something here?

Hey Hob, have you listened to any of the Tripath chip amps at all? Some sound very nice and all are quite small and low power draw. I notice your sensitivity on your speakers is 90, maybe a slim line pre amp and small chip amp would fit the space well?

Trends makes a cool little setup, tube preamp with dual inputs and headphone out, along with the TA-10p power amp, shown here with optional power supply and dac.

I like those brands you listed, Nad holds a special place in my heart :canada:.. maybe also check out Rega, Cambridge Audio, Parasound, Emotiva.

Here's wishing you luck that you find a mint old McIntosh under a blanket in someone's shed!

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Mr.Tophat posted:

I've literally just bought some Seinheiser HD595s,

Try them first with your onboard and see how you like it, you may be totally happy with it, at the least it will give you a baseline to compare any future improvements.

Also you may be interested in a dedicated headphone amp, many come with built in dac, usb connectivity, and handy analogue volume control.

Check out Head-Fi.org for headphone specific audio advice/reviews/etc.

Doc Spratley fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 4, 2011

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Turd Nelson posted:

I'll look into cleaning the radial pots.

The stuff you need is called 'DeoxIT'

Here is the full guide to cleaning your gear with deoxIT.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

SovietSpyGuy posted:

Hey fellas.

a combination of a Kenwood KR-720 stereo receiver, and a pair of ESS Heil AMT-3 speakers.

That sounds like a very nice vintage two channel setup! Those speakers with their famous tweeter are very highly regarded still. Due to age, you may want to look at replacing the capacitors on the crossover, and look for any signs of rot on the foam speaker surrounds.

ESS speakers are still around, so you could pickup a center channel and integrate your AMT-3's into a multi-channel system. Or perhaps you may like to keep them as a separate two channel system down the road. Might be nice in the office or den? I am sure you could always sell them reasonably easily.

Here are some schematics for your crossovers and some info from ESS on your speakers.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

ilifin posted:

How far can you stretch TOSLINK? I have moved homes and my current setup is having my computer desk behind my couch... and my desk has speakers. I'm thinking of dragging a TOSLINK to the DAC on my desk so I can get 4.0 sound through my HTPCs TOSLINK output in addition to the already connected HDMI.

I run digital through a 25' monoprice toslink cable, works great.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Fauxtool posted:

If a speaker is powered doesnt that mean I dont need an amp?
What about subs makes them twice as expensive as speakers in the same product line?

A powered speaker aka 'Active' will not require an amp, however you may want a pre amp or passive volume control upstream of the active speakers.

Typically all subwoofers sold today are self powered, so you are paying for the cost of the plate amp and large woofer in the sub.

That being said, there is no need to use the matching sub from your speaker manufacturer, often you will get more bang for the buck going with a different sub.

Matching at least your front three speakers is highly recommended though for surround applications.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

univbee posted:

It's looking like I'm going to be doing mainly apartment living for the foreseeable future, and as such am looking for a "won't vibrate the poo poo out of my neighbors" style solution, I'm thinking something akin to a 5.0 (subwoofer-free) system. This would mainly be for Blu-ray viewing. Are there receiver/speaker combos that work well for this, or am I doomed to a life of TV built-in speakers? I'd definitely want to spend less than $1000 for the whole deal, I'm not a maniac audiophile by any stretch.

VV I tried this back in the day with an older 5.1 system and it didn't do any good; many buildings where I live are old and squeaky, and pretty much no amount of subwoofer vibration is tolerable.

You could try an auralex subwoofer isolation pad perhaps?

auralex.com

Alternatively, you might try suspending the sub in free space. But there is nothing wrong with going sub-less if you have to. Just wire up for 5.0 and omit the sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Hi. I'm kind of clueless on speaker brands but I noticed this setup on Amazon gold box sale right now and figured that it might be a good buy since our roommate is moving out soon and taking his theater setup with him. Is this worth the money? Or is it total crap? I don't expect it to be super great, just serviceable.

Energy is a respected formerly Canadian brand. They have a history of producing quite nice stuff, as they were able to use the National Research Council Anechoic chamber for speaker development along with Paradigm, PSB and others. However the Klipsch group bought them out and basicallly gutted them.

Those micros are pretty small though, you might be better off going with some of the Andrew Jones Pioneers, they are an excellent bang for buck proposition. Even look at just getting the fronts and center, would run about 220 for the front three in the SP line. You can use any old things for surround really. Also may find a cheaper sub option from monoprice/parts express etc.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers