Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Going to run out and pick up an entry level receiver and speakers tomorrow. My question what is the best way to connect my PC to it? I have a multi monitor setup which includes my TV but that is not the primary display, just there mainly for steam big picture. I have SPDIF and HDMI on the motherboard available as well as the traditional PC inputs. Few things I've read seem to indicate SPDIF is inferior to HDMI, seems almost wasteful to use HDMI just for audio but would that be my best choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay that sounds good. Receiver has 4 inputs, I have my PC, cable receiver, BD player and girlfriends xbox. Also I mostly use the tv to stream stuff off my NAS through the built in player, will it be able to handle that as well or will I have to run something back out from the TV to the receiver for that?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What is the best way to rip CDs to get the best quality?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got EAC and the songs work fine on my laptop but not on my phone (have other FLACs that work) any common reason for this? Just the titles show up in both Blackplayer (Great app if you are on android) and play music. No artist info and the tracks show 0:00 and wont play

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Throw this in there in case another FLAC newbie comes along with the same problem. Couldn't play files on my phone after ripping them with EAC, its cause I enabled ID3 tags, FLAC has its own tagging system.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So my new Klipsch R-15PM monitors arrived and they're everything I hoped they would be. I'm just wondering about connectivity, they're connected via the bundled USB cable now, but I find particularly on system notifications and even when I first play a song if its not coming right after another one, you miss that first fraction of a second of audio. Should I use the optical connection instead? Analog? How will these affect quality if at all?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I was just trying to figure out why ARC wasn't working for the audio from my PC stick. I changed to a different HDMI port on my TV, and it worked, except...while testing the configuration I realized my right channel has a bassless AM radio kind of sound to it. I switched over to the girlfriends Xbone thats connected directly to the receiver and the same thing. Its a Pioneer VSX-324 receiver, just a HT in a box kind of deal with 5 lovely speakers and sub bundled in, the left and right mains I've upgraded to a pair of Klipsch RF62s I picked up second hand a while back. Now they have two sets of inputs for speaker wire, and when I switched to the bottom ones, suddenly it was better but still not right, kind of a bassy, muffled sound. Doing research as I post I think I understand why that is, the metal piece that went between the two sets of posts I think I lost in moving, is that what my problem is? Also seems like the receiver is just on 2 channels now even though the Xbox is set up for 5.1, but everything seems to be feeding through just the two main L&R speakers when I do a surround test.

edit: bi-wired the speaker, now its fine. Now I just gotta figure out why its not doing surround properly

codo27 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 16, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How stupid would I be to go buy a new receiver now with black friday a month away? I'm in Canada if it makes any difference. Are there usually any mind blowing deals on anything any good?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Currently eyeing the TX-NR676. I want 4K passthrough and 100w @ 8ohms. Bluetooth a must. I cant see me going beyond 5.1 for a while. Even multi zone, meh. Be nice to put a couple of outdoor speakers above my patio I guess.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I called Best Buy (really no other choices here) and they will refund me the difference if it goes on sale, Black Friday is 30 days from today. It already is on sale but I was just worried it would be an extra $100 off come then.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My living room is fairly small, 8' ceiling, I sit about the same from the TV itself, maybe less. I like to have the TV fairly low, and I'm ditching my current entertainment unit in favor of a wall mount and a couple of custom shelves. My center speaker takes up a lot of real estate (Klipsch R-25C) and I was thinking about maybe mounting it above the TV on a shelf instead of putting it below as it is now to free up space for other components. Would having it so high (~6' maybe a bit more) make it sound much worse while sat down?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had 2 Klipsch towers but even with the crappy Pioneer center that came with the rest of the system, dialog was way too low. Its all fine now with the center to match the towers.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TX-NR676. Fairly new, just starting to scratch the surface of the net features, namely Spotify. I usually exclusively listen to locally stored music, but as theres no YouTube without using another device (guess I could just use Bluetooth instead of WiFi) I bring up Spotify when I wanna hear something I don't own. But it doesn't wanna work. Aside from seeming to take too long to connect, it does indicate on screen that it's playing but I get nothing. Did a firmware update the other day so that's all up to date. Works fine when I just play music over my network off my phone or NAS or whatever. I don't really like the Spotify app either as it kinda wants to take over, last time I tried it defaulted to that when I got in the car after instead of my normal music player. Any thoughts? Still some kinks to be worked out with this stuff?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So, fuckin Gibson is filling for bankruptcy because nothing is sacred anymore, and apparently they have a stake in Onkyo? Who's also partially owned by Pioneer? That's so hosed to me, especially seeing I'm all smug over my new Onkyo I upgraded from a Pioneer receiver from

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats your need for it? I just use my phone, made sure to get the 128gb version for all my flac goodness

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Before I got my Onkyo I was using this, maybe the previous installment of it. Got it on sale for 299 plus price matching so 279. Although you probably aren't looking to upgrade the speakers so maybe just going with the receiver alone is the better option.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fuckin PEI are you kidding me. There's definitely potatoes inside those things

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How many of you are running without a sub? I must say I am more than satisfied with the amount of bass I get from my Klipsch towers without one, but I dunno, feel like I gotta fill out the system or something.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I threw on Temple of Doom the other night and the THX intro, well, I could feel it. I'm afraid if I put in a dedicated sub I'll knock the house down.

This is actually pretty generous, there is much less space between the sectional and the west wall. But I have almost nowhere to put a sub really. The corner to the right of the TV, well the speaker is there. No room behind sectional. One might fit under the movies shelf in the corner, or I could move the guitar amps a bit and stick it in that corner, but I guess it might rattle the guitars down off the wall. I dont really want to see my $3000 Gretsch smashed in the floor. Maybe I'll hold off. Surround speakers might make more sense right now, even though I hardly consider them a necessity either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think the consensus is, well, first of all, why cant you use your phone? If its storage, consider something with a SD slot next time around. My last dedicated player was my Zen Vision M 11 years ago. I'm slightly jurassic when it comes to my music as I dont buy into any streaming services or anything and have to have everything local. In my case I couldn't get the Pixel with a SD slot so I just got the 128gb model which is more than enough. I wont hear of burning data streaming stuff when I'm not always connected.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You probably wont find anything snazzier than the Klipsch The One/The Three. But could be a bit more than you are willing to spend.

We need speakers for the gift shop at work here, the Sonos was mentioned. They just want something to basically play back a playlist or even spotify maybe with little or no input. Obviously non deafening levels.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My TX-NR676 has been pretty good so far. I think I paid maybe 550 or 650 cad so thats only 40 cents USD. Pretty fleshed out in terms of features, though I dont use a lot of them. Yeah its $319 on A4L and thats new. Thats a good deal. And a new firmware update came out again on the first of the month. The only thing I wish it had, well it has chromecast built in but it will only do audio. I feel in a piece of equipment like that that can handle and upscale video, why cant they just put the full chromecast or whatever in there so I can do youtube and poo poo with nothing else but the receiver? Is there anything out there that will do that?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 6, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I don't know what you'd gain with a traditional amp. I've noodled with some stuff like that before and the results have been positive. There's more than one way to get sound from an electric guitar

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No reason it shouldn't, though I can't recommend eliminating the receiver

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh you poor bastard. BB had a great sale on that ended yesterday. A lot of Klipsch stuff was half price, my buddy bought a whole set. What you got linked doesn't look bad though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm no expert, but there is so little to a speaker compared to say buying a car, I wouldn't worry about it. Got my Klipsch towers used for cheap and theres an ever so faint ding in one of the cones, and they are a little rough on some edges but once you hear them you dont care.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Depends on what you wanna spend. Anker is a favorite for mobile accessories but I dunno what their speakers are like. I would avoid your Beats and such as there are probably more economical choices that deliver similar performance

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gf got a shower speaker off amazon for like 28 bucks (if I had realized it was that much at the time I would have made sure we returned it) but it worked like once and then that was it. Got rusty around the charge flap it appeared. It was just one of those many made up junk names you see on amazon. Really wish they'd snuff out some of that stuff.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Try having a gf who complains when you turn your receiver up to like 55 out of 100 (not to mention her dog who is terrified at the slightest noise). I like it fuckin loud. Klipsch's slogan is "pissing off the neighbors..." but mine, after hearing my towers went and bought a whole set himself. Our houses are pretty close in a fairly unorthodox, rural property layout and we can easily hear each other whenever we're listening, and neither of us have subs yet. Poor guy's got 4 kids. I leave my grilles off, but he cant do that poo poo. Has to mount his TV basically on the ceiling.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Work within your budget but remember that quality audio is an investment. I'd recommend saving and buying something decent that you may have for life, dont need to spend a huge fortune.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, second hand, though your case seems a bit specific. I grabbed my Klipsch towers second hand for cheap and they blow everyone away who listens to them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What were those good cheap earbuds a couple people posted from Amazon? I think I remember them being translucent? Still no such thing as much beyond 4 hour battery life for wireless is there?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Geoj posted:

I've received more than a few "first buyer found it was defective and returned it, Amazon didn't look at it and sent it right back out again as 'refurbished'" items.

The discount has to be fairly substantial for me to even consider it at this point.

My friggin open box TV from Best Buy has defects that I'm sure twas the same case here, first buyer was picky enough to notice it and they thought no one else would. Thankfully I have the warranty, so hopefully I'll end up with next years model.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My NR676 will sometimes make the click sound that you get when you turn it on, when its on and sound is playing. Seems to have no effect on the sound being played. I probably didn't do the best job with the banana plugs, anything else I can check for that might be causing trouble?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Happens at low and high volumes. Not the worst thing ever but concerning

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got a Fender Passport and its a nice little rig, events around my way especially at christmas mean lots of music. I also have a very nice home entertainment system. Would it be crazy or more importantly, wrong/damaging to get a little 4 channel mixer for example and just run that out to my AV receiver? The Passport is easy but this would be even easier.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been running just 3.0 for a few years, thinking I was fine because my towers put out quite a bit of bass but I finally picked up a sub second hand and holy gently caress. With all the bass and sub output set to 0 it still rocks and the atmosphere it adds to basically every sound is amazing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The general consensus is to just get a decent set of honest to god headphones and use a separate mic. I do really like my Steelseries Artcis 3 though and they are only the low end ones. Feel really nice even on my giant head. But as someone else who also has nice monitors and an even nicer system in the living room, they obviously cant compare. I dunno about the higher end ones.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know I never considered using my 58 for anything but music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Maybe a bit off beat but I used to use Google rewards money to buy loose tracks on GPM. Now that its shut down, whats my best way to buy single tracks? I wont say I'll never stream but I dont want that to ever be my primary listening source