Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just got the Logitech Z-2300's (don't hate, they were $80 on Black Friday). Can anyone recommend a song or album to give the speakers a good run through? The Inception soundtrack is currently giving the sub a good workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The cable on my Sennheiser HD 580's has failed, with the right channel not coming through. It's not the headphones because if I plug the left channel cable into the right headphone, it works. Any suggestions for a cheap replacement? I just need something that terminates with 1/8" stereo and the cheapest replacement I found is from Sennheiser for $33 shipped.

If I get the HD 650 cable which terminates in 1/4", it's only $19 shipped. Does anyone have experience with using a 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter with primarily 1/8" sources?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 17, 2011

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I want my speakers to play from both my TV and Amazon Echo. I patched together a setup with random cables and a 3.5mm Y splitter, but when I plug both sources into the splitter (ostensibly they’re the outputs of the splitter but I don’t think it matters here), volume drops a bunch and low frequencies all but disappear.

Is this due to a ground loop from voltage differences between my TV and Echo outputs? Is the cheapest solution to buy a couple $15 isolators from Amazon?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

What (sort of) speakers?
They're Klipsch iFi 2.1 which paired RSX-3 satellites with an 8" 200W sub, but some of the circuitry died on me so I replaced it with the sub from a ProMedia 2.1 set. I'm using the control pod from the ProMedias so it's a male 3.5mm plug.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 28, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Sounds like an impedance issue to me. Plugged into the cable individually (disconnect the TV or the Echo, leave the other plugged in) what happens?
It sounds correct, as if I weren’t using the splitter at all and have the speakers plugged in directly.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 29, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Boom is kind of large for a shower, though, isn’t it? I know people gushed over the Roll and Roll 2 for showers.

E: well the boom looks to be about the size of a bottle of shampoo.
Just lol if you aren’t jamming to EDM in the shower

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a current gen Yamaha S202 stereo receiver and an old Sony DE875 5.1 AVR. They're both 100wpc but the Sony seems to put out way more power. For example, if I have both of them set to 100%, the Sony will get "loud" at 5 or 6% volume on my source while the Yamaha needs to go to 15%. Similarly, if I use line in, the Yamaha needs to be about 60% to be loud while the Sony dial does fine with a quarter turn. The same thing happens with with headphones. Why would there be such a huge discrepancy?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 24, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How important is it for the center speaker to match the mains in a 5.1 setup? The bookshelves I ordered are new old stock so the matching center isn’t available. I could get a lower tier center that has the same woofer (x2) but slightly inferior tweeter. I could also get another one of the bookshelves but it would lay on its side. I know that isn’t recommended due to lobing, but I could always change positioning in the future.

Or I could save $60 or $70 and buy something used locally.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 25, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qirex posted:

Honest question: will you listen to anything anyone says or continue buying truckloads of garage sale crap?
The mains I ordered are DCM TFE60 and I got a Hsu STF-2 subwoofer. Neither of those are garage sale crap, though I do admit I started out that way. It's just taken time and a reading through a few hundred listings to realize I needed to raise my minimum spend.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 25, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qirex posted:

If you want to use a center it should be the best speaker in your whole system, like half your whole speaker budget.
I started out thinking like most people that a center is mainly just dialogue, but everything I'm reading says it does 70-80% of the work in a surround setup. I've also read that "timbre matching" is overstated--matching is really only a thing if your L/C/R are the same speaker and the center is also positioned vertically. That means an MTM center doesn't really match even if it's from the same product line and you can just get something that sounds similar.

I know Steve Guttenberg isn't taken seriously but he definitely knows more than I do, and he says a center speaker isn't necessary if you don't really listen off-axis (my situation), that 4.1 is fine, though the context is that most people's mains are nicer than their center. I tried moving my current satellites to the center of the TV and while I could tell the sound was coming from the center, dialogue wasn't particularly better. There's also the drawback that my mains would mostly be wasted during movies while the center does most of the work. Hmm.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 26, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Roku is poo poo compared to FireTV don’t @ me

For real though, I spent 2018 with TV with built-in Roku and the Firestick 4K in my current TV blows it away

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Weirdly, I hated my firetv so much that I gave it to my parents and got a roku ultra.

At the time, Google stuff (YouTube etc) wasn't working on firetv during their spat, I dunno if that ever resolved, but even without that I actively disliked the firetv compared to the roku. I suspect there's a significant amount of personal preference with this because I used the firetv 4k for like a year before ditching it and it's night and day for me.
Yeah Amazon and Google cleared up their spat. The main difference for me is the FireTV 4K is way faster (I also bought a Roku stick for A/B testing) and voice input actually works whereas it’s mostly useless on Roku. My test case was “Play Taylor Swift Blank Space on Youtube” which should be an easy request but only worked on FireTV. I don’t use voice commands but it does help with text entry. It also seamlessly integrates with my Echo which I do use for voice commands.

A super important feature I discovered for my personal use case is I bought an old A/V receiver with no remote and the FireTV can control the volume a la universal remote which is all I need. Saved me a bunch of money buying the OEM remote on eBay and obviously more convenient.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you're not wedded to those Jamos, I'd look elsewhere. The sensitivity and power rating seem lower considering the driver configuration, and 4 ohm speakers are more trouble than they're worth unless you have a specific reason for a specific pair.

You'd also have to place them pretty far away from the wall due to the giant rear port.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you're going to skip on the subwoofer, I would agree with GnarlyCharlie4u that the Jamo with the 3 woofers is probably your best bet.

In terms of receivers, if you just want something that does stereo with Bluetooth and has a phono input, you could get this: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vA4JJKfSDpp/p_158STDH190/Sony-STR-DH190.html My friend has it connected to a pair of tower speakers and it performs well enough.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 16, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Hi, in my post I mentioned this one, but that a reviewer made a comment about their being volume limitations on bluetooth. Can you ask your friend if he/she has this issue?

My main question about that or other other cheapest one (the Yamaha) is if the higher minimum frequency bandwidth of 40 HZ, or the higher THD are important.
Crutchfield misprinted the spec on that Yamaha: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s202/specs.html

I actually had The S202 for a couple days. It's a fine receiver but doesn't have a phono input.

My friend says his Sony does limit him to 54 "but you can increase it more on the receiver w/o issue... you can keep cranking it from the receiver."

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 16, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All receivers will do 20Hz-20kHz. Frequency response is only a thing when it comes to speakers.

You’re not going to notice much of a difference in THD with receivers until you get into crazy audiophile land. I would rather save the $200 and get the Sony but that’s just me.

actionjackson posted:

Can I ask what you mean by that? I did notice that crutchfield only has like 15 receivers total which seemed pretty small.
A bunch of stuff is out of stock.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 16, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Not that I don't believe you because you obviously know your stuff, but why is it on this page, under "details" it says 40-20,000 Hz?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/Yamaha-R-S202.html?tp=47041

edit: I'm seeing what you mean about stock. The page literally just changed from what I saw an hour ago.
I'm a relative newbie when it comes to this stuff. Others in this thread are much more knowledgeable.

Again I'd point you to the actual product page: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/r-s202/specs.html Crutchfield had a pretty major copy & paste fail

e: Something else may be happening here. While it can definitely go down to 20Hz, there may be some loss of power output so Yamaha may have only self-rated it for 40Hz. The reviews for the receiver are universally good and don't complain about bass. Someone else may be able to explain more clearly what's going on. In any case, I would go with the Sony.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 16, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Yamaha has spring terminals so you can’t use banana plugs with them. Just get a spool of Amazon Basics speaker wire.

The Yamaha doesn’t have phono input. I also thought it was a slightly weak on power for the week I had it, though the $600 Denon I had for a few days also seemed to be weak. I had to crank the volume above 50 just to hear anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Blue Yeti was a no-go. It came out particularly tinny and garbled trying to use it between us. I think the bidirectional mode requires we both be facing it. However, we are in a galley-style office so it would wind up being perpendicular.

We had a facepalm moment because we realized we can probably just mute each other since we can hear each other fine in the space. It comes down to how bad we sound to a remote person.
Did you try the omnidirectional mode?