Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hi thread. I got a JBL 3.1 soundbar with some Christmas money. A big selling point for me was the third audio channel is strictly for dialogue. I've been using it a few days and the since quality is great for effects and music but honestly I can still barely loving hear dialogue without turning the volume way up.

Is there some way to increase the volume of just the dialogue channel? It's driving me crazy.

I have this hooked up to my LG TV through HDMI arc. My tv itself seems to have very little in terms of options for audio when there's a bar hooked up, seeming to default to whatever the bar is at. Does a good job automatically switching between pass through or Dolby depending on the content, everything there seems to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did find my soundbar has a few different modes including a dialogue mode so I think that will some the problem. Now I'm getting a problem where less than a second of silence will make the drat thing stop putting out sounds, then when sound starts back up it takes a second. Especially noticable in video game pause menus and loading screens, or in navigating different apps. Seems to be a power saving feature, hopefully I can turn that off. Apparently there was a firmware update to address this last year but after checking I'm already at the latest firmware.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My problem with my soundbar still had basically no solution. Anytime I am in a system menu or video game that has short sounds or brief periods of silence (like when the screen goes black between rooms loading) the sound will just totally cut out for a second and then on the soundbar display it pops up "PCM" like it is detecting the sound mode. It's really annoying. The soundbar actually has a "Standby" mode you can see in it's display anytime you turn the TV off, that is not popping up so I don't think it's going into standby. It is just forgetting if it's PCM or Dolby or whatever.

I've tried several different settings on the tv for Passthrough , Auto, or PCM and the problem is the same but all three with normally otherwise. I've also tried switching between PCM and bitstream no avail.

I wish I knew whether this is my soundbar being stupid or my tv being stupid. This problem happens on my Nintendo Switch and in internal tv apps.

This is a JBL 3.1 and LG smart TV, has anyone had any kind of similar problem and been able to fix?

Edit: this is all over HDMI arc

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 22, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Probably a dumb question but why can't they send audio/video over like, CAT6

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dogen posted:

Did you see above where the bandwidth of HDMI 2.1 is 48Gbps?

I assume then that that is higher than cat6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Any replacement cat you get is just as likely to do the same thing