Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
If I want to run separate audio tracks from a computer such as voice chat and "everything else" to a mixer, so I can run spoken audio through hardware equalizers and compressors, is the best way to do it to just get a supplementary sound card and run both audio tracks like that?

I'd rather have hardware buttons and faders to mess with than a DAW with a bunch of macros I'll have to set up.

If I want even more than two tracks, is there an upgrade better than this type of sidegrade like one PCI-e solution with multiple audio outs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's pretty full on, but a mixer like the tascam model 12 is a multi in, multi out audio interface, it has inserts for hardware effects on two channels, plus a built-in effects processor and obviously the per channel EQ. There are similar things by other brands too.
This looks pretty cool. As far as I understand, its software multitrack support goes through its DAW Controller with presets for a bunch of audio editing software, but if I want to use it with some combination of OBS/VoiceMeeter, would I still be able to assign and control tracks separately through the physical track controls on the mixer, even without an explicit DAW controller for VoiceMeeter or other general-purpose Windows DAWs+VACs*?

*The presets are MACKIE - Live, HUI - Pro Tools, MACKIE - Cubase,
MACKIE - Cakewalk, MACKIE - Logic, MACKIE - DP
according to the manual.

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 10, 2021

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Will it present itself this way as 10/12 literal input/output devices in Windows so you don't have to use VACs and other stuff like that? I tried to find some manuals and YouTube videos, and the only thing I could find to show this was an Ableton example where it presented itself as one audio device but with multitrack support, so maybe that gave me the wrong idea.

I don't have a great mental model about how mixers work in conjunction with various inputs, so it's super hard to read up on how stuff works. If I could just cut DAWs mostly out of the equation and leave everything for the hardware mixer, that would definitely be the dream.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I mean, there's still something helpful about being reassured "no, it's not just you; it's really that difficult to find a mixer that does such a seemingly normal thing many people would love". Guess I'm not crazy for wanting one and not finding it. I guess settling for a separate sound card for voice chat and handling any additional sources through pure software is the way to go for now.

I can't help wonder why streamers use such huge mixers for their workflows, but they probably spend their money in very different ways than I do. Not to mention that Fisher-Price-looking GoXLR crap some go by.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Aside from basic dynamic/shotgun microphones, are there any interesting and cheapish very directional microphones you could use to isolate and identify noises if you wanna goof around with computers, motherboards, and fun stuff like that in a workshop? Or record something for videos.

Just in case there is something specifically created for this rather than more general-purpose microphones.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Alright, I'll check it out, thanks!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Statutory Ape posted:

Would Bluetooth be able to handle video game audio and music without weird latency or whatever?

I don't really want it for fps games but more so my slower paced space ones where I am disinclined to remain seated during down time, if that would matter

There would be no voice chat during this particular scenario
aptX LL (low latency) is the specific spec you want. It’s proprietary by Qualcomm so you need dedicated support. Windows support is kind of a mess since you can’t tell which signal is being sent, so you probably want a dedicated transmitter.

I use my headphones and regular Bluetooth, and they’re fine as long as you don’t watch stuff with faces talking.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Just remember that aptX-LL is on its way out in favour of, sigh, aptX Adaptive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Am I correct in my reading of that that aptX-Adaptive is strictly worse at -LL's and -HD's strengths so that it can be a moderately-shite all-rounder codec that's better than original aptX?

edit: I guess I should also ask: How is this so-called "backwards compatibility" going to work, and if it's going to work on a "fallback to pretending to be LL or HD as hardware handshake dictates" basis, why the arse aren't they just calling it aptX2?
I'm personally not expecting any backwards compatibility which is why I'm giving the heads up; it feels like a .y version update to "simplify" (*cough* expenses *cough*) more than an overall improvement, but LL and HD sound pretty dead based on this. AAC Bluetooth is probably the best bet for somewhat standardized HD audio over Bluetooth.

Knowing the joys of Bluetooth, I'm sure it's also going to be a delight to set up automatic preferences for low latency with an "adaptive" all-in-one technology. My current basic Bluetooth headphones struggle to maintain any connection, and I sure can't be arsed to troubleshoot what's interfering with it.

I read up on this when I wanted something that would work decently for both an Apple TV and PS4/5, and I did not come away from that with a lot of optimism about the future of wireless low-latency audio!

I don't even think Apple have properly announced their equivalent yet, presumably because it's using proprietary AirPlay to make wireless audio (bitrate + latency) work for their hardware and theirs alone which meant they couldn't announce support the same day they announced high-quality audio for iTunes. But that's probably going to get announced next month or something.

kliras fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 20, 2021