Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Slowly shopping for a TV.

My existing setup includes a Sherwood RX 4105 which is strictly stereo. I was thinking of complimenting the TV with a Raspberry Pi. The reciever doesn't have HDMI, obviously and not video hookups of any kind.

I can plug the HDMI into the TV then route stereo audio into the reciever, correct? This is still a common feature on sets, correct?

On another tack, I asked about it in the headphone thread but didn't get any feedback, but does anyone have the Tritton 720+ headset for PC? I'm just wondering if it stacks up with the older model that was considered pretty good. If so, does the surround work properly?

http://www.trittonaudio.com/720plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Can these things give me "kick" in my car without going overboard on a subwoofer + amp? Could I just hook a tiny amp from my sub pre-out to these and have it stuck to the bottom of my seat?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can angle them out somewhat. Hard to say though without a good idea of what the room looks like. What you describe doesn't sound like a particularly extreme layout. Maybe you need some sound dampening on the walls, possibly echos are muddling the sound.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Those jacks almost never output anything but audio from the TVs own tuner. Possibly a misguided anti-piracy policy.

I keep hearing this, and was told this when I was asking about TV advice. It's not true for my Vizio just like it isn't true for Flipperwaldt's Sony.
Now, admittedly I have a stereo only receiver, but I feed all of my devices into the television and into the stereo. I have analog and digital audio out on the tv, works with anything I've thrown at it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I really like Play Music's features:
streaming your personal library
streaming from a pandora like service
caching playlists for no signal locations
playing files on the device

If you have a data plan I super recommend it.

My phone rec for you might go another way to the Nokia 521 which is a 100 dollar no contract phone that competently runs windows phone OS. It's real easy to subscribe to free podcasts through the store interface and it works as a phone and web browser as well.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7177/nokia-lumia-521

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So my company has instituted a "no headphones" rule throughout the factories. There is also a "no cellphone" rule in work areas. We are, however allowed to have music devices.

What I have in mind is a little Class-T amplifier, screwed onto a bookshelf/monitor speaker powered off AC power. I can then plug either a Bluetooth receiver into it or an audio device directly into it via headphone jack.

http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI
http://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...ingle+bookshelf

Just the most quick of searches would make this work pretty well, but I'm looking for more specific recommendations with focus on quality volume and smaller size.

I half listen to music and half listen to podcasts and other spoken word. I want something that I can usually have quiet but can turn up loud to compete with other sounds/speakers. (yes the policy is going to turn the place into a nightmare)

I like this idea because it's kind of stupid tacked together stuff which I'm into, maybe I would be better off with some sort of boombox or whatever else. Thanks for any input!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
For future utility. I'm open to any type of suggestions though. What's a good product?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Let me clarify, I'm working in a factory and it may be exposed to chemicals, dust, adhesives and hopefully not too many drops. Size is important because it's going to be spending time in a locker as well as a workbench. It's also important that it be a one piece thing.

I don't prefer to get a dock type thing as I will connect to it through RCA or 1/8".

Taking some of your suggestion, I came across this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CKNOZCE/?tag=technbrgn-20

Way more money, but is pretty much the form factor I'd want. I would down-sample my music to mono or combine the signals and plug in my Bluetooth adapter/iPod.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0045NCB32/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_30?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CWWRK0ZQTGQKR4XZS3H
Or maybe one of these with a little amp attached to it.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 13, 2014

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It doesn't matter what I buy, I'm not going to THROW it anywhere. I want a small box that plugs into AC power and can potentially be very loud for 8+ hours.

I know this is a pretty specific request, but that's why I'm making it. I can buy any old product and it'll probably work, but I have an ideal in mind.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Can't speak for best, but I got one of the Jam Classic things. It is loud enough to hear over the shower or over kitchen/appliance noise. It sounds pretty decent if set in an acoustically advantageous place.
http://www.amazon.com/HMDX-HX-P230BL-Bluetooth-Wireless-Blueberry/dp/B007R6HUEE/ref=pd_sim_cps_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DY7M5RVHHEJ6320SREA

oh yeah, annoying thing about it is that if you don't turn the switch to "off" it'll drain its' batteries pretty fast. I think it doesn't have a proper sleep or standby mode, whatever it is in bluetooth devices.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Correct. Just don't forget that you disabled it in the case you need it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If it is a known issue, can you not repair/replace whatever the problem is?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Then throw it away or pay for someone else to fix it.

It's not rocket science. Unplug the stereo, open the case with a screwdriver and look for the little glass tube thing described above. Is the wire inside broken? If so you can try a new fuse!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

LmaoTheKid posted:

If anyone's looking for a new receiver and you're a Spotify user, having it built into your receiver really owns.

I walk in my apartment, phone connects to wifi and I just hit my Denon reciever and pick off right where I left off. It just turns itself on, no fiddling with the remote.

Not really sure if this belongs in the thread or not but I'm really loving my S910W.

A chromecast will also do this. (and probably fire sticks too?)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just picked up a cool 20 watt Sears receiver stereo with cassette tuner and speakers.

Sorry for the blurry picture, not too important I think. (cassette deck no pictured)

It's currently humming like crazy, doesn't matter what input I have it set to. This is a pretty loud noise. Everything else sounds pretty good. I opened it up and hit all the knobs and whatnot with some electronics cleaner which got all the cracks and pops out of the volume knobs. After I did that the hum was gone for a while, but now is back with a vengeance. Any suggestions?

When I push in the speaker select button (out is speaker A, in is speaker A+B) it goes totally silent and the hum along with it. Is this a clue? Thanks!

Seems like the noise lessens as it "warms up". Bad component maybe?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 10, 2016

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ha! Just for fun, I found it!

1983 Sears Christmas Calendar! It's almost as old as I am!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Sounds pretty good once it warms up and that hum fades out. Heck of a deal for 10 bucks.

Besides, why wouldn't you want that warm distortion? Been playing hits of the 80's off of my phone. I'm a fan of virtually hand crafting the sound with that 5 band EQ (just use the loudness button, duh).

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This is probably the wrong place to ask. I reject the premise that you are hearing differences in these high sample rates. Just choose the one you like best.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...m=Y&sku=1218934
Maybe this one would work better? Probably a big crap shoot on quality.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The cheapest path is going to yield disappointing results. If these are truly collector's items you shouldn't run them under a needle before selling them. If they are readily available recordings today, then why bother?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

black.lion posted:

Well a lot of the records are things that aren't readily available in digital format today (e.g. some old obscure stuff), so I think that's the motivation for the recordings.

What's the "best" option, in your estimation? They don't want to throw a ton of money at it but these are recordings they'd really like to have copies of for sentimental reasons, even aside from a lot of the music not being available elsewhere anymore.

I'm not a record expert, but I do have a turntable with USB out that was gifted to my wife. It's cheap and sounds cheap. I'm not a huge fan of LP's but they're supposed to sound better than this thing. You should probably do some research on care and cleaning of vintage records as well. A good record player is hundreds of dollars, a cheap one won't sound great.

You can use any old record player to record audio. You DO need to have a pre-amp (or assuming his receiver has one and an audio out) to properly record the sound. Then use any old audio tools to record the whole record, and chop it up to tracks before converting it to FLAC (because why make a record sound possibly any worse at all by using lossy compression?

I've never heard of a ball bearing needle, so I dunno.

edit 2: if he has a record player, and wants to retain the audio on one of the records, then KEEP IT!

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 5, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Since we're on the topic, is there a good SMALL record player that isn't too much money? The one we have is normal sized, and taking up a ton of space and it is hardly used. I'm talking about the ones that have a smaller footprint than the size of the LP when not in use. Not having a record player is unfortunately not an option in my house.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Codo, screw some inducers into the couch.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Check the audiophile thread.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Looking to replace my stereo for my 2.1 TV setup (self powered subwoofer). I am replacing my old Sherwood whose remote is broken and I cannot find a replacement.

Something very similar would be this:
Onkyo TX-8020 2 channel Stereo Receiver
http://a.co/eIdexQg

Alternatively, this seems pretty cool. Don't have to bother with power, as it as auto on, which the wife would love as turning on the stereo can be difficult on its own ;) . Unfortunately it only has the one input. This is almost OK as I run almost everything through the television, but I would like to have an option for another input.
Dayton Audio APA150
http://a.co/7zQUgRw

Good suggestions for an auto-switching input thingie? The TV has optical and RCA, and I'd like to be able to hook up a record player or whatever as well. Should I just go with the Onkyo? Something better in the price range?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Neat! This Dayton stuff is well regarded?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Followup on the Dayton APA102.

I replaced my 10 year old Sherwood RX-4105 http://a.co/5wMACZ9 (because I can't find spare remotes) with the APA102. Theoretically, I'm losing some volume, but I think it'll be plenty for me and I know my wife will find it loud enough.

It's powering these old Kenwood speakers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Kenwo...=p2047675.l2557

I also have a nice powered subwoofer backing up the low end.

I gave it only a quick test.

Setup:
Dayton APA 102 Amp
Kenwood JL-504 x2
Powered Subwoofer (who cares)
Vizio TV

I am of course using the TV's RCA out as the APA102 is purely analog input. I have set the TV speakers to "off" and enabled controlling of output level via TV remote. The subwoofer has available RCA inputs, but its auto-on and RCA connecters are fucky, so I have the sub connected to the same speaker outs as the L/R speakers. I put the sub's lowpass pretty low since I can't think of an easy way to limit the main speakers without also attenuating the sub. I have the amp just below its' maximum output. My setup has the amp and subwoofer inside my fireplace behind a fire grating, so I really don't like having to adjust that stuff.

Sounds great so far, I'll have to dial in the sub a bit I'm sure, since there always seems to be a balancing act between good sounding music and boomy movie effects. I can't hear any hissing from the amp being turned way up and the auto on seems to work without any sudden "pop" when activating.

Based on the quick evaluation, I really recommend this thing. Very small footprint, low noise, and if I ever want to go nuts I can get another one for 100 bucks and stack them to power each speaker.

Question. The slimness of this thing is because of the efficiency of a class D amplifier, correct? It still seems crazy how humongous the transformer for the old Sherwood is compared to the overall size of the Dayton. If I made some educated guesses about the efficiency and total output of the respective amplifiers would that justify the size of the transformer, or is there more magic to it than even that?

Bonus: inside of 10 year old amplifier!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheWevel posted:

Yeah, it's fine. I am looking at purchasing that exact amp for my outdoor speakers so let us know how it goes.

Hi all! I've got the amp all dialed in.

The setup below goes like this:

NVIDIA Shield TV Controls volume/everything ->HDMI->TV with volume near max->1/8" to RCA->Dayton Amp->Speakers and using same posts speaker level to powered subwoofer.

It's plenty loud enough. I can reach nearly full volume with minimal distortion. I had to get a little creative to get my crossover right. I lowered the bass output on the Dayton (there's a base knob and treble knob on the back) and tried to dial in the sub's crossover and volume to fill in the gap. I think I did a pretty good job. Next up is putting a pressure fit curtain in the fireplace hole to hide the wires/lights.

I really recommend both the Dayton and the Shield. Plus, it's got nice expand-ability; If I wanted even more noise I could bridge the outputs as one channel each! It took a bit to figure out a proper volume level that would allow the sound to be turned low for the wife (while not letting the amp go to sleep) while still allowing me to go nuts for house shaking audio.

Thanks for the tip!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Take one and maybe also your amp too a local hi-fi shop, they'd love to sell you replacements.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks for teh response, KillHour, I didn't have to waste my time with it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Go straight to the audiophile thread with this stuff. 30 bucks for RCA cable for your record player? Come on. Maybe their mic cables are a fair price, I dunno. Try monoprice for your home audio needs. Sheesh.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well, let us know how it is!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Good RCA means cheap!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
They certainly look nice. Do an a/b test vs your old cables.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What for? Is it portable? Why isn't her phone good enough? What about a chromecast or Sonos or google Home?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You'll have to turn your volume down.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you own your home, you can get blue tooth enabled speakers as part of your exhaust vent. I bet they suck, but you wouldn't need to recharge them. Saw them at the hardware store.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa100-class-ab-stereo-amplifier-60-watts-per-channel--300-590

I like mine! Auto on!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...ZBoCDJUQAvD_BwE

Very short, 60wpc, auto on/off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No remote capabilities. I need the Samsung smart remote to control the volume on the amp or preamp. Output from TV is digital (Optical) > DAC > amp

A pre-amp would be fine because I can just power the speakers with an iNuke or QSC bajillion watt amp.

Edit: oh... I wonder if this tiny-rear end thing from ELAC would work.
https://www.elac.com/product/ddp-2-preamplifier-dac-streamer/?r=us

With my TV I can control the output volume through the TV. There is a setting to switch between static and variable.