Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not that I want to advertise this, but Outpost is selling the floorstanding Polk R300 speakers for $50 each. I've had a hankering for some tower speakers just for aesthetics sake, and have some budget audiophile amplification but primarily use not-extremely-good source from my HTPC. It currently uses the onboard sound but I'll likely get a Chaintech AV710 quickly. I currently have a NAD 312 integrated with B&W DM302s on budget laminated particle board stands. Ideally I'd be able to use them as rears in a future surround sound setup after getting a matched center channel with the polks and a decent sub. That is, if the Polks are worth snagging for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I have a budget Onkyo HTIB system that is surprisingly not awful, but I'm interested in getting a new L/C/R and eventually a new sub, as I listen to a lot of stereo music. I'm thinking about the PSB Alpha B1's for the L/R and the C1 for the C, which seem to be an absurd deal and come in a beautiful sienna color. Are there any better deals out there?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Princess posted:

Of the bookshelf speakers tested by Consumer Reports, the PSB Alpha B1's are tied with the more expensive Polk Audio RTiA1's for the highest rating. So, I think you've already picked the best deal out there. Well played.

Consumer Reports.... my go-to audio guru publication. :)

I think the best bets I have are Paradigm Atom or PSB Alpha B1. Stereophile says head-to-head they are both amazing, but the B1 has a better low end and the Atoms a better high end. My local hi-fi store sells Paradigm so I might be able to audition them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yeah, they have always been a good value, and you're right, it's a very crowded price point. Although the number of truly great speakers at the price range has decreased, in my estimation, over the past few years.

Suggestions for others?

The gods are testing me, they have a set of small used Paradigm towers at the shop that someone just traded in, for $400. Since my stands currently suck, this would be a better deal and probably better sound for the cost. :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

The only other inexpensive bookshelf that pops into my mind is the Monitor Audio Bronze 1, which I believe go for about $300 a pair. Polk and Infinity both used to produce good speakers in that price range, but Polk's quality has gone to crap and Infinity has all but abandoned traditional box speakers.

Out of curiosity, what gear are you going to be using with the speakers, and in what kind of a room?

I used to have more of a budget audiophile 2-channel setup of all NAD gear with B&W DM302 speakers, but I sold it all and got an Onkyo HTIB because I didn't have a dedicated listening room and surround sound in the living room made more sense.

The Onkyo is surprisingly not bad at all, even the speakers. I'm working to replace the speakers, though, fronts first, then sub, then rears (maybe). My source is a NAD 533 turntable (Rega Planar 2 clone) with a Rega Bias 2 cart, and sometimes VBR MP3 streamed from my media server.

The room is not ideal at all for dedicated listening, but for my budget I don't care. It's an assymetrical setup with a big window (with curtains) on one side and a bunch of open space on the other, and a LCD tv sitting on a teak media center in between the fronts. :) I'm also about 5 feet from each speaker so it's an intimate little space.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah, it's just about the most irritating thing ever, and a huge reason I can't live with my Onkyo for more than a year or so more while I upgrade other pieces.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ampaddle posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my enjoyment when listening to music playing through headphones.
So far its:

Sennheiser HD555
FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier.

The source will be my PC. I have and love Logitech z-5500 loud speakers.
Currently I am using a default boring motherboard.
Will I need or want a sound card that could improve the sound quality for both the headphones and loud speakers?

If so could some one please recommend me one?

I know you said you "won't get a sound card" but I'm going to type this anyway:

I highly highly highly suggest the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. It was designed from the ground up as an audiophile sound card for headphone users. It has a built-in headphone amplifier with replaceable op-amps to tailor the sound to your liking. The thing freaking clicks like a stereo amplifier when you turn on the computer.

I've used various small headphone amplifiers in the past, and I find this to be my favorite solution. I have not used an Omega Claro+ but I would imagine it's similar in quality.

Also, I think the Denon AH-D2000's at around $200 are beyond belief for the cost. When I was hunting for new headphones, I directly compared about 8 in the $200-$500 range, and they were the clear winners. They had an extremely similar tonal quality to a pair of $2000 STAX. Tremendously smooth, with a powerful low end and very up-front presentation. Blew the Sennheiser HD650s away, in my opinion, and I had been a happy HD580 owner for 9 years.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone know if most Onkyo amplifiers have a mode that will just spit out full-dynamic range stereo sound to the front speakers and disable everything else, including the sub? I'd love to have a "music" mode that did this.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

There's a stereo mode which is just front speakers and subwoofers, but nothing without the sub, on my 507 at least. You can go into the menu and turn off the sub there, or just flick the switch on the sub itself, which is what I often do.

Will that send full-range information to the speakers, though? Also, does Audyssy or however you spell it disable itself in Stereo mode?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

evilalien posted:

My 606 has "direct" mode which is what you are looking for. No subwoofer involved; stereo sound being sent only to the front two speakers with no DSP.

I did this last night, and good god do my speakers have lovely range.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I have a related question... I am slowly upgrading my speakers of my 5.1 setup, but am uncertain how to go about doing this correctly. Right now I have an Onkyo HTIB, and the powered subwoofer is driven by a single composite-style output from the amp and the speakers are all connected to the amp, meaning the amp is determining the crossover points and all that.

I'd like to first replace the L/R, and have a lead on a great looking pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's from the late 90s/early 00s that I'm going to get for $350, and soon find a center that will match well and still fit in my small living area. How do I get the sub to integrate into this at all? Does it matter, as it's going to just be low bass? I currently use the Audyssey setup, which sent tones from each speaker and I'd guess determined levels and delays for each speaker, but I'm not sure about crossover-type stuff related to the subwoofer.

Any advice would be welcome.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, got those Paradigm Monitor 7's last night. Unfortunately, they just don't have the same "life" as they did on even the budget NAD gear at the hi-fi store. I'm concerned that my amp just doesn't have the balls to drive them, even though they don't seem like they should need THAT much power to drive based on their numbers. I have to turn it to about 80-85% of max volume to get any real bass out of them, which makes the SPLs kind of high in my little living room.

They are set up for bi-wiring, but right now I just have a little jumper wire going from the low-end terminals to the high-end terminals. I don't really get the physics behind bi-wiring at all, is this something that can actually make a difference? Running two cables from a single speaker terminal on the amp and connecting them to two different terminals on the speaker... I just don't get how that would improve power transfer?

EDIT: Apparently the skeptics (probably correct) out there just say its the same as using a larger gauge of wire.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 11, 2010

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Suqit posted:

That would be the Wadia 170iTransport.

Is there any cheap (like $100ish) solution that acts like a budget Squeezebox? I just want something that can stream MP3/FLAC (optional, not required) from my media server, it doesn't even need to be wireless. I would like it to have a screen, though, so I don't need to turn on my LCD every time I want to listen to digital music instead of my turntable.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any suggestions for getting audio from my computer to the living room stereo? I don't need ANY visual interface, I'm looking for something that can just get audio into the living room without just running a long cable. I am planning on using an android interface to control the playback, so the audio stream is all I care about. Is there any cheap device that can move my data over the ether or anything like that?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Are there any wireless rear speaker kits/adapters/etc that work fairly well? I don't really care about full range ability, because I want two tiny speakers to sit on a table behind my sofa that can give me some surround effects.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SteveMcQueen posted:

Thanks - an amp upgrade is definitely in the works as well. I have an Onkyo NR717 currently and and was thinking of a Peachtree Nova125 though not sure. I do have a sub as well.

There's a store near me (Portland, OR) that has them so I'll give them a listen one of these weekends.

The Peachtree stuff is worse than cheaper, less attractive gear. It's made in China, for starters. So is NAD at this point, but they haven't compromised on audio quality. I was considering some Peachtree gear but after more research bailed on the idea.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SteveMcQueen posted:

What did you end up going with for an amp then? All of the stuff I've read regarding Peachtree has been positive but Internet reviews...

A hi-fi store that SOLD the stuff told me to look elsewhere. For the cost of the Nova125 I'd be looking hard at the Bel Canto C5i, if you need the DAC as well. I am still in the hunt for my amp, as I think it will be the one I own for a few decades.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Based on the thread titles in IYG, I can't really tell where "serious" audio discussion takes place for audiophiles who don't believe in the power of stones on their interconnnects and therefore want to avoid most of the other forums out there.

Basically I'm interested in sinking about 3-5k into some mid-high end 2-channel stuff and unsure where/if people here usually discuss this.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

Here or the 2-channel thread are both good choices.

2-channel guys seem to love their vintage gear and I wouldn't really want to touch most vintage solid state with a 10 foot pole. No offense vintage gear guys!

Right now I'm thinking of a few options:

1) Overhaul my computer desktop system. Some kind of high-end nearfield speaker like, say, the Mark & Daniel Maximus-Mini and some kind of all-in-one like the Bel Canto C5i. I'd just feed it the digital music on my computer and enjoy there.
Pros: seems space efficient and cost effective. More limited nearfield speaker choices would narrow the pool of candidates, making research easier.
Cons: only really usable by me sitting at the computer. I don't really sit there much in the first place. Desktop placement issues seem challenging.

2) Get a more legit and robust 2-channel setup. Something like the KEF LS50, some great stands, and maybe just the aformentioned Bel Canto.
Pros: Bigger sound, can be moved to a larger room later. Can face into a public area rather than just from the desk.
Cons: requires more initial investment for good stands, and larger space needs. Positioning will be challenging due to small space. Will likely require some kind of rug purchase for wood floors.

Another option is just go maybe get some kind of really sick Sennheiser 800S setup and ignore trying to shove dynamic speakers into a challenging small room...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

taqueso posted:

There is also the getting your 1st home audio system thread, which isn't only for first systems despite the name. You might need to hit up some of the audio-centric forums to find lots of experience and reviews on mid-high end stuff, since goons tend towards the budget and best-bang-for-your-buck choices.

What is the actual goal (besides buying awesome new stuff)? Between 1 and 2, it seems like the real question is 'Do you want better quality when not at the computer or just at the computer?' Is the listening room the same as the computer room? You might be able to make 2 work decently when sitting at the computer if the room layout works.

Headphones, sure why not, but I bet you are still going to want loudspeakers.

Yeah my current office setup is challenging.

I've also thought about upgrading my living room setup with some kind of high-quality surround sound amplifier that will still kill it at 2-channel. However, I'm uncertain if it's feasible to try to do high quality audio with a large media stand and TV sitting in between 2 speakers, or if that's an unnecessary worry.

Right now I have vintage paradigm front speakers and center channel, but I could feasibly upgrade the front and centers with some speakers that are great at music reproduction and still have some kind of "tonally matched" center I guess. I'm not some kind of home theater nut at all so my needs there are rather minimal. However, it's where I do sit and listen to stuff most often so it would probably be the smartest place to put my money. I just don't know where the trade-offs are when it comes to getting multichannel that still is 2-channel focused.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah, I'm sure it CAN I'm just trying to distill down to what is like the sweet spot for another 10+ years of gear ownership.

Basically I'm thinking:
- high quality AV receiver with features like Spotify Connect, because let's be honest I'm going to be streaming from that a lot of the time anyway. Potentially get one with good pre-outs like some of the Denons, and pair that with a high-quality amplifier.
- 3 high-quality front/center speakers. This is probably the most research-intensive part.
- 2 decent little surrounds for mounting up behind the sofa. Right now I run only 3 speakers in my living room (Paradigm towers and center channel).
- Good USB DAC. Potentially a future upgrade if the receiver already has something decent.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

I'm using 20 year old speakers that I got like 5 years ago. They're older than the (crappier) speakers I replaced! The only thing that needs regular upgrading is an AVR due to new formats etc., and we've just been through a big one with the past couple years and 4K, so you should be good for a while. Like, go crazy and get a Marantz 6010 or something.

I was comparing the 6010 to the 5010 and the only appreciable difference I can find is a minor auddysey version difference and the 6010 has dual video zones, which I can't imagine needing any time in the future really. The 5010 refurbished is insanely cheap for what it seems to be.

The 5010/6010 + KEF R500's + KEF center channel seems like it would be an absurd upgrade. I wonder if the KEFs would need something "better" than the Marantz, though (I doubt it).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Not at all, the Marantz (or any receiver of the same class, really) will do a fine job with any set of speakers.

Amplifier "quality" is a huge audiophile minefield, and 99.9% of the so-called "knowledge" out there is BS.

You're telling me. I've been doing "audiophile" stuff since the late 90s and it's just a total pile of garbage information by and large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dogen posted:

It has a small bump in power as well, I don't know what the price difference is between a refurb 5010 and it but if it's a lot yeah you're probably right.

It also doesn't have a phono stage so that's an actual functional diff. I have a little old NAD one still but might be nice to ditch another box.