Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

IntoTheNihil posted:

Hmm, are they comparable to the PX-100s in terms of how loud they project? Sorry about all the questions, but there's nowhere around here I can try them at.

I'd say they're a bit louder. When my girlfriend or friends use them, I can clearly hear where they are in the music and listen along. It's not at volumes that the neighbours will complain or that you can hear it on the other side of the room, but the 595 does project a bit further than the px100, at the same subjective volume for the listener.

Arkady posted:

Does this mean that the sub is faulty? If it supposed to support the 20Hz range, why does it fail when it gets there?

Dunno. It might be that your dial actualy goes from 0 to 40 Hz and you've just set it to 30 Hz (which would mean that the 20 Hz sound would still be reproduced, just a bit quieter). It could also be that it's just cheap components wigging out, or shoddy design, or you might actually have a faulty unit. I find it hard to tell, sorry.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 12, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Pibborando San posted:

Bose is always garbage. Get inwalls if you don't want speaker boxes in your room.

Bose's marketing department is pretty good, though.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Sniep posted:

I don't see how a 1/8" phone to dual RCA cable is 'crappy' -- That's a pretty standard cable, if that is what you are talking about. It will work just fine.

Most TVs have analog out (dual RCA) on the back, though. If you can use that it saves the audio from going through the lovely headphone amp on the TV (and has some other resistance/current-draw related plusses that only pro audio people would care about).

Sniep posted:

" No highs, no lows? It's gotta be Bose™ "

The sad thing is that they could probably use that in ads and still sell to their target audience :(.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

acker posted:

I searched Google to see if anyone had a similar problem, but I wasn't able to find any results. Is there some sort of quick fix I can apply to get my cassette adapters to sound right, or did I just buy the wrong brands?

My first guess would be that both are exactly the same, made by the same cheap chinese manufacturer. Those adapters used to be really lovely when I used them ten years ago, and I guess the quality hasn't increased. You could try finding another one and hope it's by a different manufacturer, but maybe it's just your tape deck that won't work with these adapters.

edit: Maybe look at a cheap new headunit for $50?

pim01 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 12, 2009

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

fireman2a posted:

Will upgrading the soundcard to a Soundblaster X-Fi yield a significant improvement in sound? I'll mainly be listening to music through itunes, with the odd movie once in a while.

Not really. All (non-professional) soundcards tend to suffer from the same problems anyway - mainly high background noise from being inside the case. A good upgrade step would be to get an external soundcard/DAC. There's some nice USB ones, or you could get Firewire stuff if you feel fancy.

fireman2a posted:

Also, is it worth buying a separate headphone amp to pair with some Audio Technica headphones, or will it sound fine through the NAD?

Sadly, integrated headphone amps are most often of dubious quality, since it's an easy item for manufacturers to save some money on. It'll probably have enough power to drive Audio Technicas, so you should see getting an amp as a nice upgrade to up your sound quality, not a necessity.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Pibborando San posted:

If you want music that was meant to be played on a surround system, you'll need a player capable of decoding DVD-Audio or SACD discs.

Even these are only 5.1, as far as I'm aware. SACD on a proper 5.1 system (5 identical speakers, non-farty/boomy subwoofer) sounds completely amazing, though. Dark Side of the Moon is avalaible in a good SACD version (since it was written and intended for multichannel audio on the live shows), and I know of a later Peter Gabriel album that was also written specifically so it could make use of SACD. Good luck finding SACDs at a reasonable price, though :(.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking for the cheapest possible mp3 player with an intuitive navigation menu. I'm just now getting tired of my Creative Muvo 256mb player, and I want something with a little more capacity and something resembling an interface built for humans.

Any suggestions?

Take a look at Sandisk's stuff (like this 2 gb express for $25). It's got a nice oled screen and has a better interface than creative's small players.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

El Kabong posted:

I'm looking to get some sort device that only does active noise canceling to block out sound completely while I ride the train or read in my apartment. It needs to be able to silence talking and high and low pitched train noises. I have ear plugs, but they just don't cut and I want to completely drown out everything going on around me.

Unfortunately, all I've been able to find is also orient to music listening and, I think, inflate the price or isn't optimal for just noise canceling. Any suggestions?

You'll never really filter out sudden loud sounds, like people laughing or shouting. Active noise cancelling works best on continuous sound, like your train noise or plane noise. Listening to music I know well (and therefore can ignore easily) on IEMs at a moderate level works fine to block out all external sound, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

orsowned posted:

QUICK QUESTION
I have an old pioneer sx780 silverface receiver and i would like to place my technics sl d-202 turntable directly on top of it. will the heat from my receiver damage my turntable?

I'd be more worried about blocking ventilation for the receiver.