Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Can anyone recommend a set of amplified speakers suitable for use with a PC? I used to use my main amplifier but will now have that in a different room so won't be able to use regular unamped speakers anymore and can't justify buying a second amp just for this. I just bought a set of Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers but the crossover is appalling on them (it's way too low so music sounds incredibly tinny) so they're going back to the shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Pibborando San posted:

Any powered studio monitors would work.

Like this, and these and this.

I started looking at studio monitors earlier (The Behringer MS40's seem reasonable for the price), is the whole "oh they're too accurate and don't colour the sound so everything will sound poo poo" argument I've seen popping up worth any weight or is this not really going to make any difference/just means the bass isn't amped up to satisfy the average gamers need for louder explosions?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Is it worth getting a separate streamer/network player or just using a (reasonabl spec) bluetooth audio adapter and casting from my phone?

I have a separate amp/cd player and bookshelf speakers and I could get a full on separate streaming unit to go alongside it (though the streamer alone would cost more than the rest of the set did because it's about 13 years old) because I haven't bought an actual CD in ages and could use it for internet radio as well, but I guess all I get over a straight bluetooth audio adapter is better DACs, a fancy case, a controller app that probably sucks and the theoretical ability to use it without control from a phone if it's got a display built in.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

qirex posted:

Advantages over bluetooth are : better audio quality [although bluetooth improves with each new version], more range, the ability to operate away from your phone and do stuff on your phone while you're streaming that won't play over the stereo, the ability to stream a local library from a computer/NAS, the ability to do multi-room playback, integration with Chromecast/Airplay. These may be more or less relevant to you. The stereo component ones are all overpriced IMO, like you could buy a nice new receiver with streaming built in for less than what most of them cost. Affordable options would be getting a Chromecast Audio from eBay [>$50], the Dayton WBA28 [$84] or building a Raspberry pi with an audio board and Volumio [~$100]. You may be able to get a good deal on an old Sonos ZonePlayer or Pre-2015 Connect because they're going into a legacy functionality penalty box this summer but all you're really missing is high res and integration with newer Sonos gear which won't be an issue if you're not planning to build that out. If I was starting from scratch I'd take a closer look at the Dayton since it's 1/4 the price of a Sonos Port which is the next least expensive and seems to have most of the functionality of larger stuff. I'd guess there's some significant quirks/drawbacks at that price point but it might be worth a shot.

Thanks I hadn't actually looked at just replacing the amplifier with something new with streaming built in, or to be honest replacing the whole set with a decent all in one seeing as this is currently sitting in the kitchen taking up space. I also forgot that I can use casting off a raspberry pi I already have set up so don't necessarily have to use Bluetooth.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Thanks I hadn't actually looked at just replacing the amplifier with something new with streaming built in, or to be honest replacing the whole set with a decent all in one seeing as this is currently sitting in the kitchen taking up space. I also forgot that I can use casting off a raspberry pi I already have set up so don't necessarily have to use Bluetooth.

So I bought a Marantz "Melody X" 612 in the end, and it's not bad. A bit plasticky and I miss having a proper volume control knob, but it does do the job pretty well. CD player is a bit slow but considering a streaming separate would have cost more than the whole thing did any the CD separate I had before was dying, not bad. The Heos app is not the worst I've ever used either.

Unrelated, anyone want to buy a Cambridge audio azur amp and CD player :v: ?