Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
Are there any problems associated with using a Y splitter to connect two amplifiers to the speaker out on a sound card?

My original plan was to connect one to the front speaker port, one to the rear speaker port, and have Windows just play the same noise through both. Unfortunately, computers don't like to make life easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
Thanks, good to know about the splitter.

I do, however, have a Xonar. I've been have been failing miserably to make the noise replication work, along with many other people who've posted on the internet about it.

If you have the secret recipe for making the bastard behave, please share!

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

longview posted:

I set the input to 2-channel which is what the OS sees. Then I set the output to 4.0 and adjust volume in the mixer, for me with the D2X if none of the Pro Logic things are enabled it will replicate the signal on the rear output.

I could not get this working at all, it just refused to behave. Removed and re-installed the drivers and software, and it worked first time.

Computers are poo poo.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

Man why don't Monoprice.co.uk have the same items for sale as Monoprice.com

I really wanna try a couple of those Monolith 12's. The cost to import them is bad enough but I'd also get hit with the UK's luxury electronic goods import tax

For woofers in the UK I'm a big fan of BK

Worth checking Ebay for their 'Grade B' items too. The mark on mine that made it a second is pretty much invisible in daylight when looking for it, let alone in a dim room at a distance.

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004
How much am I going to notice it if my centre speaker isn't from the same family as the main?

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

qirex posted:

Huge "it depends" here. When you use one like 80% of the audio comes through the center channel so it should be at least as good as your L/R speakers if not better.

Fair enough. I wasn't planning on cheaping out, it's just I bought the mains a while back and their line is no longer produced. I was looking at something of the same level from the same manufacturer.

My receiver doesn't seem to convert surround into stereo at all, and the stereo tracks on TV/movies don't seem to be quite right sometimes. Adding a centre to the setup seems like it'd solve my complaints as long as it wouldn't sound weird for being different.

arsegrit fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 12, 2020

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

qirex posted:

Every receiver should downmix properly, they are supposed to to get Dolby certification in the first place. Try telling it you have a center in the menu and see if it sounds different. A lot of the complaints people have about movie/tv sound are down to how it's mixed.

I tested this and forgot to come back and say you're entirely correct. If I have 5.1 being streamed to the receiver and enable the centre speaker, and suddenly all the voice disappears. Centre disabled, voices return. So it is downmixing the input to stereo.

I have a surround setup elsewhere which can be used at Good Volume, so I expect I've simply forgotten how it is to watch things more quietly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

Deep Thought posted:

I'm looking to buy a sub-woofer for my Dali Spektor 2s, solely to enhance music. I've googled around and I have seen quite a few recommendations on HiFi forums for the 'B.K. XLS-200'; which is in the $400-$500 price range. There's also its bigger brother the XXLS-400 for $100 more. I think they were released in 2009 and they are still being recommended as an accompaniment sub-woofer for bookshelf speakers in TYOL 2021.

No specific woofer recommendations to offer, but I can get behind BK's kit. I have a Monolith+ in my noisy room which does sterling service. They sell their seconds on Ebay, so it's worth looking there too - get more for the same £££. The Monolith+ I bought was discounted due to having a mark on the veneer... which I can't see in full daylight when actively looking for it.

I don't have an auto-equalizer but I do have a MiniDSP, UMIK, and REW. Cost about £200 for the kit, but let me get the low-end sorted better than Audyessy could and greatly simplified integrating a transducer (rumbly sofa!) into the system. If you've got the cash, free time, and the desire to spend it learning how to use the software/endlessly cocking about with graphs, then I can definitely speak for that too. If you're playing tunes from a computer, then you can skip the MiniDSP and use EqualizerAPO which will save some cash.