Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm thinking on running my AVR (Denon 2113) to 3 MiniDSP 2x4 HD's (20 PEQ, 2048 FIR taps per channel (in 2 in 2 out mode)) but because my AVR doesn't have preouts, I need a speaker wire to RCA connector, are there typical "go to" versions?

Then after the MiniDSP, I'd need either 5 mono amps or 3 stereo amps, rated to 95w per channel @ 8 ohms, but all I seem to find are giant AVR like amps or car amps. Since the AVR and MiniDSP will do the business, I just want a simple amp. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

PC movies and music / consoles to AVR, to MiniDSP, to second amp, to speakers is my idea. Sounds easy at first :v:

The NanoAVR HDA is a cheaper option but with the limitation of only 10 PEQ per channel, and no FIR taps, and only able to handle PCM audio. I do like the idea behind it. I'll have to see how flat my response curve is after I finish re-aranging my media room. If it's not too bad I could probably get away with only 10 PEQ's.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If I wanted to take the audio from my TV and route it into my PC then out my PC speakers, is that a thing that can be done? I'm thinking TV > L+R RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack > PC's Line In.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

taqueso posted:

Yes, you can do that. This screenshot is for a mic, but there should be the same for line in:

Right click on the audio icon in the system tray, pick "recording device" then go to properties for the input you want to hear on the PC speakers. Check the "listen to this device" checkbox.

If you want to be fancier, you will need something like virtual audio cable.

e: Cabling [TV RCA out -> RCA to 3.5mm cable/converter -> PC line-in] is good if you were asking about that, too.
also, I assumed windows 10, but there is a similar setting in older windows versions

Thanks!

I've been playing with Parametric EQ's lately and they make a huge difference.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

thylacine posted:

What are you using? I've been using Equalizer APO with the Peace GUI but it introduces some weird rear end compression that drives me nuts, especially when I turn up the gain.

I'm using Equalizer APO too, for my PC in my bedroom. but I'm planning to use a laptop or old PC running Equalizer APO for the living room TV.

I haven't noticed any compression, can you describe what you're doing? How many filters, what target level you're aiming for etc?

At first I was using some really lovely wallmounts. (Z5500) They where so messy I had a 97 PEQ filter just to make them sound good lol.

Now I'm using a PB-1000 + Polk TSI-100's and they need almost no filters at all to sound good.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I didn't know if I should post this here, the DIY thread, or somewhere else but I want to build my own speakers, however, I have many questions that I don't understand.

If I was to use 3 x 30 watt RMS 8 ohm drivers (30 watt tweeter, 30 watt midrange, and a 30 watt bass woofer) and send the speaker 100 watts from my 100 watt RMS amp, would the power get divided evenly (33/33/33) or would, if sent a test tone of a single frequency, one of the drivers assplowed?

I'm not saying I'm going to pair up a 30 watt tweeter with a 30 watt bass woofer, I just need to know the power limits.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Both, I want to buy drivers / build a 3 way crossover for speakers for music, movies, and games powered by a 100 watt amp.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If I'm reading what you're asking correctly... this is the job of the crossover, to split the signal appropriately for your drivers to make sure your tweeter isn't getting what's meant for the woofer.

This is the bit I'm having trouble with. Let's say there's a stupid 10 way speaker, 9 subwoofers and 1 tweeter. Each subwoofer claims to be rated to 300 watts RMS, and the tweeter is only rated to 10 watts RMS, if I supplied 100 watts of power from an amp, does the tweeter get 10 watts or all 100 watts? (pretend it's a high note sung by a singer)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If a Klipsch RP-260F is being sold for £260 ($319) per tower, is that a legit price?

[edit] From a seller on Amazon.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 16, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If being sent the same tone, is a 4 way quieter than a 2 way because the amps power is being divided among 2 extra drivers?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Assume all are the same 87db 1w / 1 meter.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I like how Klipsch says "it's better to buy from us directly" then on their product page, offer no way of actually buying their products.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm trying to find any data (SPL, frequency curves etc) on speakers that use a passive radiator vs just adding another larger driver. You already cut a hole for a driver 1.5 to 2x the surface area! And from what I've seen, a lot of passive radiators cost almost as much as an active driver anyhow.

So basically a subwoofer with a passive radiator vs 2 way sealed subwoofer.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I've heard a lot of great things about the M40X's. Meant to be even better than the M50X's.

[edit] I have the M50X's with ZMF pads

[edit 2] Heh, I had forgot to replace the foam insert when changing pads, really flattens out a peak I had at 4500hz. :shobon:

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 29, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Exactly, there are wall sockets directly below where the speakers will be so supplying them with power isn't the issue, I was just hoping to avoid having a bunch of audio cables trailing across the floor in all directions if possible.

How much is your budget? Is it a lot? I think it should be a lot.
http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-hd-wireless

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

You're still using 2.x? Winamp 5.58 is awesome.

For watching music (?) I like to use Foobar.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Winamp is also great for the matrix mixer plugin, but it only goes upto 5.1 sound, is there a version for 9.1?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

My Polk's have reference monitor level flat frequency response curves, 15hz to 20khz, but if I was to buy a better speaker, with the same neutral curve, would I even hear any benefits to the better speaker?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

BigFactory posted:

What does better mean?

Typically, a better speaker will have higher quality drivers and crossovers made with better capacitors/inductors with a cabinet made from thicker more reinforced wood.

My question is along the lines of "If both speakers had the same measured, in room frequency curve, would they actually sound the same or not?"

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I have two headphones. A cheap set and an expensive set. On the more expensive set, 'sudden' noises like pops, bangs, crashes, gunshots etc sound SO much better. If I was to guess why, the time it takes to go from rest to full excursion is quicker or something. Both can play loud, and both have almost a flat frequency response graph.

Anyway, my question is, is there a term for this measurement?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Vd: "large cone diameter, small Xmax drivers are likely to be more efficient as they will not need, and so may not have, long voice coils."

I can see how physically moving a shorter distance would help with audio clarity.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

Realtek is loving horrible.

EDIT: Speaking of, is there any decent audio/EQ software you guys can recommend?

You mean EQ software for the PC?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

So what's up with amps just straight up lying these days?

This amp! 7.1 channel AVR, 130w per channel!

[specs]
50w Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)
130w Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1% 1ch Drive)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

KillHour posted:

It's a stupid measure anyways because it has very little to do with how loud something sounds. With the right speakers, I can make you go deaf with 1wpc.

That reminds me, putting 4 drivers in a tight group setup in series+parallel+each powered would give +12db to the sensitivity, right? Yet I don't recall a setup like that. (apart from WTW centers) How come, lobing?

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 30, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Talking of subs, here's a sub question, the x.2 AVRs with 2 sub preouts (actual 2, not 2 with an internal Y connection like some have)

On my x.1 AVR, I can select LFE or LFE+L/R but on the ones with 2 subs, can you set it to sub 1 = LFE+L / sub 2 = LFE+R for sweet sweet stereo subs?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If I get a 4k HDR player, the ones with two hdmi out's, can I send one to my 4k TV and the other to my old old denon 2113 hdmi in, and not have problems with HDCP?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I recently picked up a fiio d03k look-alike, a Prozor DAC01 (it had better Amazon reviews) and while it's okay, I can't help but feel at loud volume it doesn't sound "clean". Is the DAC clipping, can DACs even clip? and would a better DAC help?

I'm going PC > Optical > Prozor > RCA-XLR > JBL 306p

[edit] Added a bit of EQ at 200hz and 340hz and sounds much cleaner. :)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 24, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Thanks, that's good info, but it probably wasn't the DAC clipping. I was just getting some room peaks at 200, 340, and 850hz, REW fixed it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I have a weird issue I've ran into today.

TV audio is set to variable, audio going to my powered monitors, everything is working fine (so far) on Amazon tv but when watching freesat tv, it'll randomly swap from variable to fixed. Not during a commercial break, or changing channels, just right in the middle of a program it'll swap to fixed THEN EVERYTHING IS SUPER loving LOUD OH MY GOD

I've tried googling but the only results are what variable vs fixed means. :/

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

TheWevel posted:

Does it happen on every channel or just one?

I tried most of today on the same channel and other channels on freesat, and on Amazon TV, plus chromecast tv and couldn't replicate it :confused:

It happened like 3 times last night!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I was looking at the new SB-2000 Pro's from SVS and I noticed on the frequency graph that it slopes off much quicker than the original SB-2000. What's up with that?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Is there any way to permanently set the left/right speaker balance in Windows 10? I need my left speaker to be like 3% louder than the right speaker. I can achieve this temporarily by going to Sound -> Speakers Properties -> Levels -> Balance. I can set the left speaker to say 30, keep the right speaker at 25 and this works great, until I adjust the overall volume. If I ever take the volume down to 0, both speakers then equal out, which means I have to redo the entire process.

Is there any way to make the setting stick?

Really Windows should just include Equalizer APO as standard.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Man why don't Monoprice.co.uk have the same items for sale as Monoprice.com

I really wanna try a couple of those Monolith 12's. The cost to import them is bad enough but I'd also get hit with the UK's luxury electronic goods import tax

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 13, 2020

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

arsegrit posted:

For woofers in the UK I'm a big fan of BK

Worth checking Ebay for their 'Grade B' items too. The mark on mine that made it a second is pretty much invisible in daylight when looking for it, let alone in a dim room at a distance.

Thanks I'll check them out :)

Veskit posted:

Well, it turns out the compression type that the tv is outputing isn't a signal my old receiver can handle without doing some wonky magic to make it produce sound so I'm considering that DOA.

With that said I've tried doing research, on my LG B9 oled and it can produce eARC, so does that mean I need or should buy an eARC receiver? Will getting the right receiver also resolve this issue i'm running into?

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/lg-oled-audio-dropping-out-arc/

Receivers got so much more :psyduck: over the past 5 years sorry for all the confusion.

It's completely backwards. If you want a receiver with preouts (ie you're using powered monitors like JBL 306p MKII), you need to go up to the higher level ones with the more powerful amps which you won't even be using
And if you want "standalones" (just a receiver, no amp) well then that's now considered "enthusiast level" and hah gently caress you add a zero to the price! :mad:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Is there a subwoofer thread?
I was thinking of getting a Monolith 15. Everything about it looks good but it only has a single balanced passthrough so if want to feed it a stereo signal I have to use the 2 unbalanced RCA?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I love my dual PB1000's in my bedroom, but I'm in the UK and the PB3000 costs a lot more than the Monolith 15 (£1000 vs £1500) People say the SVS name is worth it's own weight but all their benefits (45 day trial, stepup program etc) doesn't apply here.

The PB2000 Pro is also £1000 and I considered it but against the Monolith 15, I'm leaning more towards the Monolith. I also considered the vtf-3 mk5 hp and vtf-15h mk2 but they're also drat hard to get in the UK too.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What's being done about the HDMI 2.1 bug? What can be done, apart from a full recall?

I've got my eye on a Marantz AV7706 but I'm gonna wait

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

There's no such thing as a sub too big for a room right? Like, using a smaller sub (of the same product lineup) won't sound better than it's bigger version? My main room is only 1600 cubic feet (plus open archway into a stairwell) and I want to get a Monolith 15 over the 12.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I really like the look of the Klipsch rp-280f, more so than their newer rp-8000f but I can't seem to find any UK retailers that sells them. Why are the things I like always discontinued :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I I'm tempted to use something like MyUS or stackry to get access to some of these speakers which don't seem to be sold outside of the US, like JBL Studio 570. Those look and sound really impressive.